Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Face it, this was coming eventually (FFVII:Advent Children)
Face it, this was coming eventually (FFVII:Advent Children)
2006-04-25, 1:01 PM #1
It came out today (in the USA), and I must say I really didn't like the dub. I think I'll stick to watching it with subtitles, because some of the new lines they had to use to make the lips seem in sync were really weak. It's still a GOOD dub, it just isn't as good as I thought it would be. It didn't seem to have the same energy that made the japanese version feel so intense. Thoughts?
Think while it's still legal.
2006-04-25, 1:04 PM #2
So I was looking at ign.com and I notcied that advent children comes out today.
I called up gamestop, who obviously does not carry it for anyone but preorders.
I called up target (speeding as fast as I could in case they were sold out, on my way to target, coincidnetally) and they had it in stock.

I felt like a little child holding it in my hands. After like 2-3 years of waiting, I finally was able to see this much-coveted film.

I asked for an import for christmas from japan, but no-one in my family really cared about imports, or japan, or final fantasy, so it didn't happen.

So here is the official "AMERICAN RELEASE" day.

I can't believe how amaing it was. 30-minutes longer than I thought it was, amazing action sequences, great storytelling... and I could pick up on everything that was "for the fans" from only having played half of Final Fantasy VII the game.

A few questions for others who've seen it

How did cloud get super-powerful and become able to fly in the air when battling sephiroth?
How was he so powerful that he was able to have all his swords fly in the air, then sorround sephiroth?
WHY DID SNAPE KILL DUMBLEDORE!?!?!?
What was the name of the girl who wore the red dress?
I remembered Tifa, but I forgot her name.
Where's the big round guy from CAIT SITH, I only saw the little guy.
Who exactly was the "boss" in the white coat? Was he the bad guy that cloud fought at the top of the midgar tower in the beginning of FFVII?

This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-04-25, 1:07 PM #3
Beat me by 3 minutes ...blargh
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-04-25, 1:07 PM #4
yeah, there was defintly some parts where the dubbing seem off, but overall I think it's still an enjoyable movie.
The Gas Station
2006-04-25, 1:08 PM #5
Yeah, don't get me wrong it's still a good movie. Then again, I've seen the japanese version tons of times, so I might just be used to their voices and actions. Even so, some of the characters sounded like they recorded their lines at 3 a.m.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-04-25, 1:12 PM #6

How did cloud get super-powerful and become able to fly in the air when battling sephiroth?
How was he so powerful that he was able to have all his swords fly in the air, then sorround sephiroth?
Who exactly was the "boss" in the white coat? Was he the bad guy that cloud fought at the top of the midgar tower in the beginning of FFVII?

1. it IS a final FANTASY... just chalk it up to magic.
2. it was just a special move I guess, using magic as well as his special sword.
3. Wouldn't share his easter bunny?
4. Marlene? Barrets daughter?
5. The thing Sith rode on was an enchanted Mog, he rode around on the shoulders of the other in the movie, like red and Cid.
6. It was Rufus , the president of Shin-ra...assumed dead in FF7
The Gas Station
2006-04-25, 1:18 PM #7
It came out over here yesterday.

I was thinking that the dubbing probably wouldn't be amazing, so I'm waiting until my mates copy comes, then I'll knick it and watch it.
nope.
2006-04-25, 1:33 PM #8
MERGED
(and dont be losers and spam a link in a thread okay?)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-25, 2:13 PM #9
Originally posted by Veger:

1. The only time he "flies" is the verry end, durring the fight he is just jumping really high.
2. It's called a Limit Break. (this also answers the flying thing) Omnislash in particular. I know it looked diffrent than in the game but thats what it was.
3. No clue
4. Aerith...I am ashamed of you for not remembering her name.
5. Cait Sith was only the Cat, the big Mog was only part of his transportation/wepon. I thing it was a stufed thing that he controlled with magic (alla Lulu in X) in the movie the I guess decided to just have him ride Red XIII.
6. Yes, Rufus Sinra. The president of the company, in the game people thought he died but apperantly escaped.

As for the dub, I liked it. Parts of the dialouge I though were a little weaker but over all I thought it was alot more clear, plot wise. (much clearer than the subtitles I saw) And overall one of the best dubs I have ever seen.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-25, 3:05 PM #10
The fact that Rufus didn't die in FFVII was stupid. He got fricken exploded.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-25, 3:07 PM #11
I agree that the fight scenes were a little over the top, but they were fun to watch, and that makes it okay in a movie called Final Fantasy. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-25, 3:08 PM #12
Yes, but Sephiroth not being totally dead isn't?

Oh, or Aeris boosting Cloud when they're fighting Bahamut Sin?
nope.
2006-04-25, 3:33 PM #13
Aeris boosting cloud was more of a symbol thing, not an actual physical thing. The fact that she stays with him, through it all, is what that was supposed to mean.

The three bad guys were the spiritual, emotional, and (physical?) manifestations of Sephiroth's spirit, he had connected to the lifestream completely, and as such, they were able to manifest themselves through the lifestream's power. Then when Kadaj eats jenova, he gains the power neccesary to completely reconnect the parts of sephiroth in the lifestream into the physical world.

At least how that's how I understood it.

Plus, the sephiroth fight was badass.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-25, 4:55 PM #14
Won't get to see it until Friday, but hopefully it will be good though I have heard it's only appealing if you're a fan of the game.
2006-04-25, 9:14 PM #15
I never thought I'd like that movie, but I did somehow. It was definitely a movie made after the hearts of every fanboy and fangirl, though- perhaps that makes me a fanboy? I'll agree with many of you that there were some real over-the-top scenes, but I'm willing to let it slide because it's Final Fantasy, where over-the-top is law. As for dubbing- I think I saw a fansub. And I'll consider myself a proponent of subtitles on grounds that my comprehension of Japanese is so negligable that I can barely understand it anyway, and I'll never KNOW if voice acting is bad. Works for me.

P.S. Oh, and as for my answer to your question three... Well, I don't know how to green-blot things out, so here goes. My opinion of the killing was that our friend the villain is still in league with the story's heroes. He enacted the last and most dire emergency plan because the stakes were high and it was the only way out. The schoolmaster also knew that it was now time to pull out all the stops with the story's main protagonist. With himself out of the way, the protagonist had nowhere to fall back upon (exept perhaps his closely-knit group of friends) and would realise his true potential. The death was necessary, and the one who was to fall realised that his time had come, for there was no chance to manipulate the situation in a way that would leave him alive. Just a thought, anyway. Blame me for always playing the part of the protagonist. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, though.
2006-04-25, 10:00 PM #16
Originally posted by Veger:
A few questions for others who've seen it

Because it looks cool. Watch The Making Of feature on the second disc. They basically did everything because it looked awesome.

Quote:

It's Omnislash-2, sorta. It's a new limit break, more powerful than Omnislash. Sephiroth tends to make Cloud a bit stabby.

Quote:
Because Dumbledore asked him to.

Quote:
Aeris. Damn it, it's not Aerith unless you live in Japan. :mad:

Quote:
As mentioned, it was just a mog doll. Cait Sith rode on it before.

Quote:
Rufus Shinra, and yes.

Rufus Survived the explosion and it's pretty obvious how. If you play through FF7 again, you can see Rufus disappear before the explosions happen. This same cutscene is on FF7AC Disc 1 in the Reminisce feature.
2006-04-25, 10:55 PM #17
Stop the goddamn spoiler tags!

I wanna know what happened without having to click the text.!!!! :mad:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-25, 11:42 PM #18
Cloud dies...
2006-04-25, 11:55 PM #19
I'm actually FINALLY--yes after nearly a decade after it's release--playing Final Fantasy VII.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-26, 3:45 AM #20
I'm just re-installing it now.

I guess I'll start over, I don't know if my save files can transfer from my laptop? :confused:

Anyway, I only got to the golden saucer, but still...that's quite alot of play time.
2006-04-26, 8:23 AM #21
10 hours at the most to get to the gold saucer I'd say maybe, I can't remember how long Cloud's dream is.

I played through FF7 for the umpteenth time last christmas, and it's still bliss.
nope.
2006-04-26, 8:31 AM #22
The music seemed better than when I saw the subtitled version - but that's probably because it was a crappy version.

CGI was still good. The dialogue was just bad - Guild Wars bad. Interestingly enough, watch the movie with English closed captioning - they rarely match the dialogue.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-26, 9:13 AM #23
In a months time, it'll be crap.

It's a silly movie, all the way along you just know it's an excuse to have another Sephiroth - Cloud fight. The plot is outrageous. I'd rather they just remade the game into a tv series or something, or how about just leave the game alone.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-04-26, 9:14 AM #24
I already saw that months ago. Gonna watch again.

Not with sucky anglodubs though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-26, 9:20 AM #25
It was really the golden saucer the second time :(
After you go to Red5's home town.
2006-04-26, 9:42 AM #26
You mean RedXIII [13].
nope.
2006-04-26, 10:17 AM #27
Originally posted by Goit:
[blah]

Wait wait, I was in your sig once? I wanna know what it said about me! :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-26, 11:28 AM #28
Red 13, whatever. So I'm not good with names, sorry. I haven't played the game in about a year.
2006-04-26, 12:14 PM #29
Originally posted by Goit:
it's an excuse to have another Sephiroth - Cloud fight.

...and that's bad?

as for the Aeris/Aerith debate: I almost went into this but decided it didn't really matter. It was Aeris in the game, but in Kingdom Hearts and in the end credits of the movie they have it as Aerith. (well I have not looked in the english vertion of the movie so maybe they did go back to Aeris.) Either way I use them interchangably and I don't think it's that big a deal
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-26, 12:19 PM #30
i liked it. flashy cg, mostly not boring plot, neat music and a few hints at the original game.

the turks are always as badass. Rude looks like "the rock" .. oddly enough
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-04-26, 12:31 PM #31
Sephiroth needed more time on-film.
Past that I loved it.
2006-04-26, 1:53 PM #32
Goit-

A TV series, you say? An interesting idea. Provided it would be all about the Turks acting cold as ice, I'd watch it.
2006-04-26, 1:58 PM #33
I wanted Sephiroth to have more dialouge, let him mess with peoples minds more.
2006-04-26, 2:00 PM #34
Originally posted by Zell:
Wait wait, I was in your sig once? I wanna know what it said about me! :D

Ha, I think it was for a level.. you impressed! The only sarcastic/mean one was for Spiral, who had his head up his own *** at the time :D
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-04-26, 3:02 PM #35
why does everyone knock dubs. they try their best to keep it as close to the original dialogue as poissible. but their are some things that translate at a very different length than the original. so they need to make some changes. they couldnt do what they did with FFX because they cantrealy change the play speed in this.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-04-26, 6:36 PM #36
Originally posted by alpha1:
why does everyone knock dubs. they try their best to keep it as close to the original dialogue as poissible. but their are some things that translate at a very different length than the original. so they need to make some changes. they couldnt do what they did with FFX because they cantrealy change the play speed in this.

I agree with you, for the most part I always prefer the dub version over the japanese versions.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-04-26, 8:07 PM #37
By the way, the way they charactherized Reno in the movie was just beyond stupid.

Elana and Rude were awesome, but Reno was just stupid.
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-26, 8:17 PM #38
Originally posted by alpha1:

Because dubs are corny, and the voice actors usually suck.
D E A T H
2006-04-26, 8:41 PM #39
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Aeris boosting cloud was more of a symbol thing, not an actual physical thing. The fact that she stays with him, through it all, is what that was supposed to mean.

The three bad guys were the spiritual, emotional, and (physical?) manifestations of Sephiroth's spirit, he had connected to the lifestream completely, and as such, they were able to manifest themselves through the lifestream's power. Then when Kadaj eats jenova, he gains the power neccesary to completely reconnect the parts of sephiroth in the lifestream into the physical world.

At least how that's how I understood it.

Plus, the sephiroth fight was badass.

You spoiler tagged a discussion on the philosophical implications of certain symbolic plot and stylistic desicions... and then un-spoiler tag the big villain revelation?

-Ballsy.
2006-04-26, 11:27 PM #40
After seeing both, I have to say that I liked the dubbed version better. Not only could I understand what was going on better, but I actually picked up on visual stuff that I didnt before (I am a slow reader, and missed some stuff while reading)...

however, I do agree about the changing of the lines.. I liked the "i must have worn down my sword" line better then the "i must have lost some weight" line.

but the story seemed to make much more sense in the dubbed version (i guess it could also be the fact that I read slow, and I wasn't truely comprehending what was written cause I was focusing so much on finishing the line before another one came up.)
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!