Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Double Space after sentance.
Double Space after sentance.
2006-05-08, 1:07 PM #41
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Now all we have to do is make double spacing bannable offence. :em321:

As I said earlier, you can't double space on this forum. The only way you can do it is like this:
Code:
Double-spacing is evil.  Single-spacing is where it's at.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-08, 1:26 PM #42
One is correct, two is incorrect. I had a *****y highschool English teacher (twice, sophomore and senior year) that insisted on crap like that. High school english is a joke. Even AP. Take a higher level writing course in college and you'll learn how to write for REAL.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-08, 1:29 PM #43
The correct way is two spaces (at least by some silly typing program's standards it is) but I don't see the point.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-08, 1:31 PM #44
I'm a fan of double spacing. It just helps make everything look more ordered. One space to seperate words, two spaces to seperate sentences, and a new indented line to start a new paragraph. I know it's not difficult to read something without the extra space, but I still like it. So sue me :p .
2006-05-08, 1:44 PM #45
Orson Scott Card uses one space, I use one space :p

(Unless I want to make a paper a tad longer :gbk: )
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-05-08, 1:53 PM #46
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
I'm a fan of double spacing. It just helps make everything look more ordered. One space to seperate words, two spaces to seperate sentences, and a new indented line to start a new paragraph. I know it's not difficult to read something without the extra space, but I still like it. So sue me :p .

This should be done with your document formatting, it shouldn't be done in the content of the document itself. A space should always have MEANING, presentation isn't a valid use.

The only reasons to use it are if you're using a typewriter or you simply can't be bothered to escape the bad habit. Don't try and make any other excuses for it.

As a quick similar example, using two spaces to seperate sentences is as invalid as using <br /> as a means of padding out an html document. Or using a hyphen between two dates (1945-1950), you should use an En-Dash. Most people do these things wrong, and even people who know what to actually do won't usually care, but don't try and convince yourself that you're doing it right.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-08, 1:54 PM #47
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Actually, one space is proper for correct typography.

I use a typesetter, it does it for me :)
2006-05-08, 2:13 PM #48
I do double spacing only because I was taught that before one spacing became mandatory. I've been told that when it comes to printing documents, one spacing is important because double spacing (when added up) can lead to wasted paper. So, to save paper, always do one space. However, if you're like me and are doing homework that requires you to type a certain number of pages... do double space :)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-08, 2:19 PM #49
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]The correct way is two spaces (at least by some silly typing program's standards it is) but I don't see the point.[/QUOTE]

No, the correct way to space after a sentence is one space. Check any book on typography. Sure, if you prefer 2 spaces go ahead and do it, but one space is proper :p
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-05-08, 2:32 PM #50
I use two. It's habit.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-08, 2:39 PM #51
Originally posted by Detty:
The only reasons to use it are if you're using a typewriter or you simply can't be bothered to escape the bad habit. Don't try and make any other excuses for it.

Just call me a lazy sob with an invalid excuse then. I try to be grammatically correct for the most part, but the number of spaces between sentences just doesn't strike me as very important. I personally don't see a problem with it, so until my profs start to dock marks for it, my habit stays.
2006-05-08, 2:50 PM #52
Originally posted by Avenger:
Two spaces is correct.

Ditto. 5 spaces to indent a paragraph, 2 spaces to start a new sent. :D
2006-05-08, 2:53 PM #53
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
Ditto. 5 spaces to indent a paragraph, 2 spaces to start a new sent. :D

oooo, suddenly I feel like changing my habbit.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-08, 3:28 PM #54
Okay listen. If you PREFER 2 spaces, fine. But dont tell people its correct.

TYPOGRAPHICALLY, 1 space is correct.
2006-05-08, 3:31 PM #55
well all I know is I learned the two space rule back in 97, if its changed or what have you then so be it, but its what im used to now is all
2006-05-08, 3:47 PM #56
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-05-08, 3:59 PM #57
I have used two spaces after a sentence for every college paper I've done and I have yet to get a complaint. I will continue to do it.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-05-08, 4:26 PM #58
2 spaces. Even if I'm wrong, it's not worth fixing. :o
2006-05-08, 4:38 PM #59
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
well all I know is I learned the two space rule back in 97, if its changed or what have you then so be it, but its what im used to now is all

so you learned wrong :p

All im saying is, 2 spaces isnt a big deal. Im just trying to tell you that one space is the proper standard.
2006-05-08, 6:24 PM #60
why do we care so much? is this worth arguing over?

is anything?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-08, 6:42 PM #61
One space.
2006-05-08, 7:50 PM #62
I don't care what you people say, I will always strive to use the double space. It's just so much more . . . aesthetically pleasing.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-05-08, 8:14 PM #63
Or you could tell your word processor to insert double spacing between sentences. The difference is that having two actual spaces is incorrect.

(I am aware that major word processors or layout languages have no notion of sentence spacing, but they should :p)

Thing is, people have no difficulty reading books, and they use single spacing. So I would argue that if you need double-spacing to make your sentences easier to understand, there's something wrong with your sentences.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-08, 9:03 PM #64
i think both double spacing and single spacing after sentences is correct.
2006-05-09, 3:46 AM #65
Double space is nonsense.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-09, 4:46 AM #66
Double-spacing was originally invented because old typewriters used fixed-width typesets. Obviously this was a design requirement. As a result, the period was offset from the end of the sentence by a small gap. Double-spacing was used to make it more readable:

i.e.:
Code:

Test. Test. Test. Hello, how are you? I am fine.
Test.  Test.  Test.  Hello, how are you?  I am fine.
    [/size]

Nowadays we use proportional fonts. Notice how the glyph for the period is automatically aligned to the left. This makes it easier to identify the end of a sentence without requiring double-spacing:

Code:

Test. Test. Test. Hello, how are you? I am fine.
Test.  Test.  Test.  Hello, how are you?  I am fine.
    [/size]

So by double-spacing with a proportional-width font, you are essentially triple-spacing. And that makes you three times more wrong than you think you are.

And now here is proof that a single-spaced proportional font has the same spacing ratio as a double-spaced fixed-width font:
Attachment: 11755/proof.JPG (26,796 bytes)
2006-05-09, 5:06 AM #67
one space ftw, always have always will.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-05-09, 5:07 AM #68
Originally posted by Joey:
one space ftw, always have always will.

[QUOTE=James Bond]one space ftw, always have always will.[/QUOTE]
:psyduck:
2006-05-09, 5:34 AM #69
yeh, my girlfriend was logged in and I hadn't notcied...

plus she now wants to post...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-05-09, 5:41 AM #70
When I did all my typing qualifications at college, they trained me to do two spaces after a stop, so I still do it. I think it may have started with typewritters, but until they stop taking marks away for not doing it, people are going to continue.

My vote should have been for two spaces, but JB didn't realise I was logged in so voted one space for me.... didn't occur to him to vote two spaces on his log-in though :rolleyes:

That poll should be 45 to one spaces, 47 to two...
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-05-09, 5:58 AM #71
Originally posted by Avenger:
Two spaces is correct.

top' oh.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-09, 6:05 AM #72
not putting a double space after a period is the same as;
"hey man are u up 4 tnis tmrw? i cant b ther til 8."

it's the downfall of western society. :p

two spaces is proper and i failed grade 9 english and had to take general english classes through high school 'cause i was stupid in it.
2006-05-09, 6:40 AM #73
two spaces is incorrect.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-09, 6:42 AM #74
Two spaces after a period, one after all other punctuation.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-09, 7:01 AM #75
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]not putting a double space after a period is the same as;
"hey man are u up 4 tnis tmrw? i cant b ther til 8."

it's the downfall of western society. :p

two spaces is proper and i failed grade 9 english and had to take general english classes through high school 'cause i was stupid in it.[/QUOTE]

Proper to your teachers, not to the rest of the world. :p
2006-05-09, 7:07 AM #76
One space. There is no use for a second one. You have capital letters, a dot, a space. What the **** more do you need to realise its the end of a sentence? A neon sign saying, "Hello. Take a pause, you have reached the end of the sentence. If you didn't notice the rest of the punctuation, we hope that you did not have an accident and continued on to the next sentence. That would be oh so very sad and ruin the reading appeal of the text. Did you take a second to think over the last sentence? Are you sure? Sure, sure, sure? I don't think you are ready. Oh you are? Ok, read on. BUT REMEMBER. You have reached the end of a sentence."
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-09, 7:22 AM #77
There's probably some explanation to do with poor attention spans and people reading too fast to recognise the end of sentences. With novels and other recreational books I have no trouble reading sentences with single spaces, presumably because i'm reading it at a sensible speed due to actually being interested. With academic work and papers, nobody actually gives a damn so might need more of sign to tell you "woah, hold up there Godfrey, I know you don't really like having to read this, but you actually started a new sentence without realising it"
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-09, 10:24 AM #78
I have been using two spaces by instinct, but I could switch to one.
2006-05-09, 12:27 PM #79
Originally posted by Detty:
There's probably some explanation to do with poor attention spans and people reading too fast to recognise the end of sentences. With novels and other recreational books I have no trouble reading sentences with single spaces, presumably because i'm reading it at a sensible speed due to actually being interested. With academic work and papers, nobody actually gives a damn so might need more of sign to tell you "woah, hold up there Godfrey, I know you don't really like having to read this, but you actually started a new sentence without realising it"
No. I just explained why people use 2 spaces. Why won't anybody listen to me? :gbk:

Novels are printed using proportional-width (times) fonts. So are academic papers. Double-spacing happened because of typewriters.

↑ Up to the top!