Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's in a name?
What's in a name?
2006-05-10, 5:04 AM #1
Simply out, why do you use your username on massassi? What made you think of it and how does it reflect yourself?
HacKSaw just sorta sounded cool I guess. I was sick of using dumb names.
2006-05-10, 5:05 AM #2
Jos is my real name. ORJ_ is my clan tag.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-10, 5:07 AM #3
I use this everywhere else, so why not here?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-05-10, 5:09 AM #4
Because it makes me win in massassi bar fights :D
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-05-10, 5:10 AM #5
Because Calvin and Hobbes is awesome.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-05-10, 5:14 AM #6
My name is Jean-Philippe. (yay french)

Back in english school my nick used to be J-P, but my younger brother used to call me Jip all the time. Eventually some of my friends caught on with it, but with their english accent it sounded as Jep. Eventually there was a superhero joke I became a part of and then voila.

Jepman, to the rescue.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-10, 5:14 AM #7
Back when I first got a computer, back when the Unreal Tournament demo was the thing to play, I used the corpse looking model, and promptly called myself deadman.
Ever since then, in every chat, in every forum, in every non-rpg game, I have called myself deadman.
I've developed a kind of deadman personae with that name, although personae is probably too strong a word, but anyway.
I've become so strongly attached to this name that if I can't create an account (on a site, in a game, whatever) using it, I seriously re-consider making that account. The #massassi move nearly left me behind, because Deadman was already taken, but the other Deadman that dwells there doesn't seem to be on whenever I am, so I make do.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-10, 5:15 AM #8
because i am awesome, and mb won't change it to reflect that
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-10, 5:22 AM #9
Cos.... erm.... I'm a girl?

NO!

Cos its my ancestral clanname, b****es!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-10, 5:30 AM #10
In the German Star Wars newsgroup some women were totally obsessed with Liam Neeson but a guy said how much he sucks, etc, which made the women a little bit angry. So I said all this stuff about "The hate is swelling in you" and so on, which led them to "discover" that I am the true Emperor or Imperator, as Germans say.
This went on, most women took the role of Jedi, we had some smugglers, bounty hunters and of course a few Sith with me as Emperor. It had become some kind of roleplay, though not very serious, because we declared that (in true Star Wars fassion) everyone had to be related to everyone else somehow.
Well, but because Imperator is such a long word and because I was only 14 years old at that time they dubbed me Impi.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-05-10, 6:42 AM #11
Because Spoon and Fork were both taken :(
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-05-10, 7:07 AM #12
I used to be Elyas, a wolfbrother character from Wheel of Time. Friend of mine would jokingly call me Wolfy. It stuck.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-10, 7:20 AM #13
Because my name is ****ing awesome.
2006-05-10, 7:21 AM #14
Way back in the day (last millenium) I was obsessed with the number pi. Memorized a hundred digits and all that. So naturally I took to calling myself "piman" on the internet. However I discovered an ugly fact when I attempted to sign up for a hotmail account that 89 people before me had also tried to register the name "piman". The suffix "90" was the smallest one available so I took the e-mail address "piman90@hotmail.com" (long defunct by this point; I switched to gmail in '04 and let the hotmail one die).

So, a couple of years later I was signing up for the massassi forums. I wasn't so obsessed with pi now and decided to use my actual name. But I had grown rather fond of the "90" and thus kept it. It's been used as my internet name for everything since then (except where "kyle90" is already taken, so I'll use "kyle901" or some other variant). Sure, it's led to a lot of confusion with people thinking I was born in 1990, but it's been a good name and has served me well for these past five years.

And thus ends the saga of kyle90.
Stuff
2006-05-10, 8:13 AM #15
I had a fish who's nickname was Quesadilla. He was red.

...Not a lot of thought went into it actually.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-05-10, 8:13 AM #16
It's my nickname.

With dashes.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-10, 8:28 AM #17
totally random number.

but landfish came as a result of a thread long ago concerning "landbevars". after that i deceided i wanted to be trendy so i had the "land" part. next i had to think of something else and "fish" just popped in my head. therefore "landfish".
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-10, 8:33 AM #18
Though it seems to me that landfishes are highly unstable ...
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-05-10, 8:35 AM #19
*'splodes all over Impi*
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-10, 8:58 AM #20
Avenger = The Imperial squad from XvT: Balance of Power.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-10, 9:16 AM #21
I like Jedi Knight, kthxbai.
2006-05-10, 9:17 AM #22
I had to come up with a name for the zone so I tried to come up with stuff that loosely fit my personality. Miraculously, on about my third try, I found a username that had not been taken: Freelancer.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-10, 10:17 AM #23
It was originaly a temp name till I thought of something cool, and I like LOTR. I guess it stuck.

my most asked question when gaming: "Who's Num-nor?" it was always a little fun to listen to so many people misread it.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-05-10, 10:36 AM #24
I'm diabetic. That and I've been using it for most other online things for forever
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-05-10, 11:54 AM #25
Tried 'Doorknob' on the Zone, because I'd been looking around the room for inspiration when I first started online. It was taken but the random name generator, in amongst the "Doorknob_93256" type names, spat out "LividDoorknob". When I joined a clan (I caught the leader's attention because he thought the name was funny), I had to shorten it to fit in the clan tag, so it became LividDK. 27 is just a number I threw on when I reregistered.
2006-05-10, 12:09 PM #26
<---- win. And if you still don't get it, you loose.
2006-05-10, 12:36 PM #27
when I was like 10, I thought it was funny in JK to see the console say "soandso was killed by a big fat cow". the W was capitalized because I felt like it.

nowadays I usually just go by cow.
Moo.
2006-05-10, 12:56 PM #28
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:
I had a fish who's nickname was Quesadilla. He was red.

...Not a lot of thought went into it actually.

Lies, you no doubt made the nickname so brian would have something to SavageX... :em321:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-10, 1:46 PM #29
My old user name was Run (because I liked to run), then when I re-registered I decided to call myself Rerun in a deliciously comical play on words.
2006-05-10, 3:13 PM #30
Quote:
When I first started out on the Zone way back in the day I was "OBrien_4". After that, when I started editing JK, I worked under the name "RGB465", which was a combination of my initials and a few numbers which mean . .well . . they don't mean much of anything anymore.
Then I quit the JK editing community. I got a job. Life was great, but boring, so I built myself a new computer and got back in the community. I was still editing under "RGB465", but I wasn't doing much so it didn't matter.

Then I got canned. I was left with a hand built, top of the line system, and all the time in the world.

That job I was working was where I got this name. I worked at a hardware store selling pools and pool accessories. There was a POS terminal system in the store that we used for everything from inventory control to timekeeping... It was a classic IBM setup with an AS/400 mainframe at main office, token ring networking cable running everywhere, nasty amber-black monochrome monitors with 75-pound IBM keyboards, etc. We all had these 3 digit user codes that we used to log into our proprietary retail software. 'gbk' was my login code. I always assumed it was randomly generated by that software, but recently I realized that it may be a mangling of my initials and last name. Ill probably never know, but it suppose it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I used the code regularly; every time I needed to use the POS system I had to put in my username. Hundreds of times a day for months.

When I was canned I decided to join Massassi. The script asked me for a username and I instinctively typed 'gbk'. I said 'why not' and changed it to all caps.

When Massassi upgraded to the new forums, I asked one of the admins to change it to lower-case. And here we are....

And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-05-10, 3:14 PM #31
If you've ever played smashbrothers, you know where my name came from.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-10, 3:23 PM #32
I'm a mapper. I made it up because I was sick of hotmail having all good ones. The explination was made afterwards lol...

oxymoron - something that can't be, like solid liquids etc (whatever)

+

ontagon - shape

=

oxyonagon - impossible shapes etc, suits the whole mapping scene.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-10, 4:34 PM #33
SavageseX

OMG! makes sense!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-10, 5:10 PM #34
In the case of the Subterrainian Mining Colonies of leper rhinoceroses, the Parliment of Monkeys determined that the Gross Domestic Product of Hypojerminitus of Sweaton was abnormal by 69.67 percent. The Parliment of Monkeys on Ardolif Prime rectified the situation by purchasing 6 billion kilos of digestable hippopotamus sweat, thus bringing the theory of Mass Spectoral Anonymity into balance.

However, at this same instance, the Dark Evil Lord Zetrepo was gazing into his Dark Evil Seeing Stone of Dispair and looked unto a rather uninsane person by the calling of Ian. And he said unto him, "I shall call thee Bubbles the Hexling." And to this Ian retorted, "You are a rather bizarre being, whereas I am a saneling. I think you can shove that name elsewhere." This did not please the Dark Evil Lord Zetrepo at all. So he called upon the Congress of Gorillas to devise a solution.

After the Congress of Gorillas debated the shipping and handling price for 6 billion kilos of digestable hippopotamus sweat, and the feasbility of using cheddar cheese bricks as payment, all in relation to a new name, they decided upon "Phoenix". Upon telling the Dark Evil Lord Zetrepo this, he scoffed and said, "Send that name to the heathen saneling and be gone from my sight." The Congress of Gorillas did so, and the saneling formally known as Ian accepted the name. This took the Dark Evil Lord Zetrepo completely by surprise and caused him to drool heavily all over himself. Once the leper rhinoceroses cleaned up the mess, he exclaimed, "By Neptune's holy gas! The multiverse in my mind has ended!"

And all was once again, well.

And yes. I came up with all of that myself.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-10, 5:11 PM #35
savagese.cx?
2006-05-10, 5:15 PM #36
Same as yall, a Zone Random name.
OK, I tried to register as "Jedi_Knight_Yoda" and that didn't work. So, after trying variations, I hit random name, and it gave me a bunch of names like the one I use here, and I selected Bearded_Jarl because, amongst other things, hey, they're my initials.
I've used it pretty solidly ever since then, about... gosh, that would have been 98, 99. Now I just use Jarl.
More recently, I've looked into the origin of the name and now when I play an RPG or something, I name my character "Jarl Rig". I don't know how the Norse pronounced "Rig" so I say it like "Liege" but with an R. Say that to yourself. And pronounce "Jarl" wrong so it sounds like "Karl" with a J.

-Jarl Rig. It's awesome.
2006-05-10, 5:22 PM #37
There are letters in a name
2006-05-10, 5:29 PM #38
from bomberman 64 2: the second attack
一个大西瓜
2006-05-10, 6:52 PM #39
Randomly generated from a combination of my real name and my birthplace. Except for the ORJ_, which is the clan tag.
2006-05-10, 7:04 PM #40
The evolution of my name is quite a long one, despite how unoriginal taking a word and smacking an "X" at the end :p

It all started out back in my AOL days when I was into Sonic the Hedgehog. My first Screen name was "Sonic8681". I later on wanted to use a Star Wars' name so I tried a name with "StarWars" in the name. It wouldn't except it so I went with "Starwar378". The "378" was randomly generator for me by AOL.

Later on, when I started playing TIE Fighter CD, I wanted to name my pilot a name that sounded military-ish. I thought of the name "Savage" and decided to go with that. When I finally got a REAL ISP, I decided to name myself "SavageX" (I noticed that the X trend was quite popular back then so I smacked on the X). I later decided to take the "378" part from my old screen name and used it in situations where the "SavageX" name was already taken.

In my editing career for JK, I've always went by "SavageX" and only used the numbers for my username for most accounts. On these forums, I did just go by "SavageX" but I screwed up on the email, causing me to lose access to my old account so I made "SavageX378" and I've stuck with it ever since.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!