Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Um...does anybody like Ghost in the Shell?
Um...does anybody like Ghost in the Shell?
2006-05-11, 12:29 AM #1
I don't like anime. I never saw one that I thought was remotely intelligent - I never watched them, but my brother did/does and I've caught bits and pieces. Recently though I've seen some of Stand Alone Complex, and I kind of like it. Downloading has been all misses so far: I now have a japanese episode with French dubbing and an English episode with German dubs, so I'm thinking of buying some dvds. Maybe. So I have a bullet list:

• Is this for kids or adults? Again, I've seen like half an hour total (spread over a few episodes)...the dialogue seems grown-up but there's an awful lot of unnessecary cleavage everywhere.
  • ^Speaking of that, is the woman cop (who I think is the main character) ever fully-clothed?
  • Are you supposed to see the two movies before the TV series?
  • Did this show only last two seasons?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-11, 12:49 AM #2
I think it a very good anime, Even though its not my cup of tea.

1: its defenty geared toward the older crowd

2: yes, but not often :p (from what I seen anyways)

3: not sure

4:I'm not sure how many seasons they were, But I do think theres 26 epds

man its been a long time sence I've posted here

PS: cheack your PM's
2006-05-11, 1:04 AM #3
Kusanagi is rarely, if ever, dressed completely; I don't know why that makes you think that means the show is geared towards kids...? It's just something that seems to happen in a lot of anime. Regardless, Stand Alone Complex is definitely not intended for the same audience as Pokemon.

I don't think you need to see the movies before watching the show; I haven't seen the second movie yet, and what I've watched of the series has made sense.

As far as I know, the show did only have two seasons, but the first (which lasts 26 episodes) is more or less independent of the second.

If you've seriously never seen an anime series that you thought was even "remotely intelligent," you should at least check out Cowboy Bebop. It seems to take people a few episodes to get into the aesthetic, but it's well worth the time.
2006-05-11, 1:43 AM #4
I'll agree with Vornskr.

There are some of really good anime's out there... and a ton of crap ones.

My best advice, Avoid the kid animes like the plauge(DBZ, naruto, pretty much any thing you'll see on TV in the USA) and try out some that were ment for an older audience.

I highly recommend the following(in random order)

Noir
Elfen lied
Basilisk
Cowboy bebop
2006-05-11, 1:45 AM #5
Originally posted by Tracer:
Is this for kids or adults? Again, I've seen like half an hour total (spread over a few episodes)...the dialogue seems grown-up but there's an awful lot of unnessecary cleavage everywhere.

It's a so called seinen series, which means it's made for young adult males.

Quote:
Speaking of that, is the woman cop (who I think is the main character) ever fully-clothed?

Ho... Isn't she better the way she is? However, the series don't have that much sex at all, so it hardly matters. I certainly thought it's just part of the design and style.

Quote:
Are you supposed to see the two movies before the TV series?

Nah. The movies don't really have that much to do with the series, aside from having the same characters, mostly.

Quote:
Did this show only last two seasons?

Yeah. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society has been announced. That would be the third movie.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-11, 2:34 AM #6
naruto and dbz are a buzz :)

can't beat watching a 7 episode fight with high speed ninjas.

on another note, if you want an anime thats remotely intelligent try some stuff like Akira & Perfect Blue.
2006-05-11, 3:09 AM #7
Evangelion and Jin-Roh are probably some of the very very few that hold my interest.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-11, 3:22 AM #8
The only anime I ever liked was Berserk. And thats pretty much because asside from the art and the giant sword Gatts uses, it hardly feels like anime. Oh, and Tri-Gun because it was hilarious.

Fushigi Yugi was interesting, overall, but childish and I could only bare hearing "Tamahome!!!" for so long.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-11, 4:27 AM #9
Originally posted by Jepman:
Fushigi Yugi was interesting, overall, but childish and I could only bare hearing "Tamahome!!!" for so long.

I tried watching it, and I did for a perior of time, but the old school atmosphere with a singleminded (=extremely stupid) high school girl main character was seriously getting on my nerves after a while.

Seriously, though, there are so many anime titles out there that it's only a matter of finding the ones you like, not a matter of there not being such stories to be found. Like with every other form of art and entertainment, nobody can like all of them.

[quote=Mr. Stafford]on another note, if you want an anime thats remotely intelligent try some stuff like Akira & Perfect Blue.[/quote]

Perfect Blue is almost like a regular psycho movie. If you like such (I guess many do since Hollywood produces them nonstop), then it's a good sample.

For those who like realistic psycho/detective/police stories in general a lenghty series called Monster would be an excellent watch.
2006-05-11, 4:41 AM #10
oh yeah, FLCL rocks your socks :D
2006-05-11, 4:55 AM #11
One question... am I gay if I found Nuriko (sp?) awesome? :p
2006-05-11, 8:49 AM #12
I like Cowboy Bebop, but I've been seeing stuff for Ghost in the Shell since Syndicate Wars. I guess Bullfrog were fans, or something. I didn't know until recently what it was, but it certainly warrants checking out.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-11, 8:53 AM #13
The only cartoons of this style I actually enjoy are Naruto, FLCL, Outlaw Star, Gundamn, Samurai Champloo, and BIG O.
2006-05-11, 9:21 AM #14
One other thing worth mentioning about Ghost in the Shells is the very interesting and cool, and also unique, music they have, both the movies and the series.
2006-05-11, 9:38 AM #15
Oh yea, I forgot I did enjoy naruto until about episode 130. Pretty much until the deal with Sasuke being kidnapped by those four of Orochimaru's goons. Some of those following episodes were good but got strethched out.
2006-05-11, 9:39 AM #16
One question... am I gay if I found Nuriko (sp?) awesome? :p

Yes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-11, 9:52 AM #17
oh vinnnyyyyyyyyyy
2006-05-11, 10:13 AM #18
Quote:
Kusanagi is rarely, if ever, dressed completely; I don't know why that makes you think that means the show is geared towards kids...?

I dunno...I'm not 13. It doesn't take boobs to hold my interest. It just struck me as kind of lame that they'd do that.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-11, 10:30 AM #19
Oh yea, I forgot I did enjoy naruto until about episode 130. Pretty much until the deal with Sasuke being kidnapped by those four of Orochimaru's goons. Some of those following episodes were good but got strethched out.

Well, that's no miracle, since after around the episode 130 you mentioned started the fillers that aren't based on the original manga. It's anybody's guess when the anime starts to follow the original source again. The year of fillers has been running because the anime got too close to the latest manga chapters.
2006-05-11, 10:49 AM #20
aaah I see. Maybe once they get back to following the manga I'll enjoy it and start dow... watching it... again.
2006-05-11, 12:04 PM #21
Im with you, I dont like much anime, but Ghost in the Shell is really good.

The second season is like 1000x times better than the first though.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-11, 1:15 PM #22
I tried to post this last night but the forum was acting up so here it is now:

Quote:
Is this for kids or adults? Again, I've seen like half an hour total (spread over a few episodes)...the dialogue seems grown-up but there's an awful lot of unnessecary cleavage everywhere.

It's definately not a kid's due to all the adult geared content. The storyline would be WAY to heady for them and nudity and violence is the norm for the show. The first movie features full frontal nudity (not sure about the second though). The TV show doesn't feature such nudity though.

Quote:
^Speaking of that, is the woman cop (who I think is the main character) ever fully-clothed?

Yes, in the TV series she is.

Quote:
Are you supposed to see the two movies before the TV series?

Nope, it's not necessary. This show is never big on character development so you don't miss anything if you only watch the TV series.

Quote:
Did this show only last two seasons?

As far as I know, it's only two seasons. The second Gig (second season) is currently airing on AdultSwim here in the states on Saturday nights at 12:30. It's almost near the end though so don't bother watching it yet if you have access to AdultSwim.

-----

I personally like this show because of its intriguring setting and how the show attempts to engage your mind about the concept of what truely makes someone an unique individual rather than a shell. Hence the name "Ghost in the Shell". The first movie touches moreso on this philosophy than the TV series does. I personally didn't like the movie though because of too much nudity and a very slow moving plot but the TV series is pretty good.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-11, 1:22 PM #23
I've got the movie, never really gone past the 12 minute mark because I keep ending up doing other stuff. I really want to watch it all one day though!
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-11, 1:45 PM #24
Originally posted by SavageX378:
I personally like this show because of its intriguring setting and how the show attempts to engage your mind about the concept of what truely makes someone an unique individual rather than a shell. Hence the name "Ghost in the Shell". The first movie touches moreso on this philosophy than the TV series does. I personally didn't like the movie though because of too much nudity and a very slow moving plot but the TV series is pretty good.

Also the series name: Stand Alone Complex, is explained, and rather interestingly. And like Savagex said, these shows are heavy with philosophy and lots of dialogue, lots of indeed considering they are action series. But that's also part of them not being shounen series (and movies). It's not just more graphical violence and nudity. The story requires some thinking and understanding.

I watched the first movie (relatively) long time ago. Then not long ago I watched the series (and the 2nd movie, but it has nothing to do with this). After the series I intended to watch the movie again, but for some reason it didn't feel anymore so interesting. I think I like the series a lot better.
2006-05-11, 3:05 PM #25
On the off-topic of not-so-bad animes, you should also watch Hellsing. It's 13 episodes of vampire mayhem. Very sweet. Also, Akira. Also, Samurai X: OVAs. 4 episodes. One of the most intelligent, emotional and beautiful animes I've ever seen.

Also, Appleseed's a nice movie, if only for the visuals, though its not an anime per se, but an anime-inspired CG film. And lots of other cool stuff. Hmm.
幻術
2006-05-11, 3:14 PM #26
On an unrelated topic, I just downloaded bittorrent and it thinks that I'm beind a firewall or NAT or something...I thought I turned off the default Windows firewall when I installed XP, but is there a way to solve this so I can get some decent download speeds? I'm on DSL.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-11, 3:39 PM #27
Maybe it's not a problem with the firewall. Perhaps just not enough seeders, or something.
幻術
2006-05-11, 8:51 PM #28
From what I've discovered with P2P networks is that the speed at which you can download doesn't really make a lot of difference if the other peers (seeders) have crap download speeds. In other words, if everyone else who are uploading their share of the file are on dialup connections, you're not going to get much of a download rate with your DSL unless someone else with a DSL connection joins the network. I know it was like that when I used Kaxaa. I would always jump for joy when someone with a high connection joins and I start getting a 35 kps download rate but get all sad when it drops to 2 kps because that person disconnected :gbk:
2006-05-11, 9:08 PM #29
If you want to watch anime, go to youtube. They have freaking everything up there.

though anime is a HUGE waste of time hahah.

the following rock and generally have good english dub:
cowboy bebop (most amazing english dub ever)
samurai champloo (haven't seen english version)
bleach as a manga (anime is in fillers and is very annoying)
outlaw star
kenshin as a manga (anime went into fillers and died)
fma (too short though)
gundam wing

the following must be avoided at all times
one piece dub (original isnt bad)
naruto dub (original isnt bad)
any amount of dbz exceeding maybe 20 episodes or towards the end of the series
any of those weirdass shows they play on cartoon network
一个大西瓜
2006-05-11, 9:37 PM #30
Adultswim usually has a good line of anime to watch. Only once in a while they would get crap on there. So far, my favorite anime shows that appeared on adultswim are the following:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Trigun
- Big O
- Paranoia Agent (A bit bizarre yet interesting)
- Samurai Champloo (Sorta. Not as good as Cowboy Bebop but still good)
- FullMetal Alchemist
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- InuYasha (Sorta. It started out ok but now it's getting to the point where the damn show refuses to end. The Plot is really getting stale now.)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (don't let the Christian theme fool you - it's nooooo where near being a Christian anime.)

Some anime shows that I liked from Toonami are these:

- Tenchi Muyo! (except for Tenchi In Tokyo. That show was corny as hell)
- Gundam Series (except for Gundam Seed and G Gundam. Those shows sucked)
- Outlaw Star
- Rouruni(sp?) Kenshin
2006-05-12, 5:59 AM #31
A new anime that is being shown right now is really interesting. It's called Ergo Proxy, and it's definately a thinking anime. Also, it's in HD, and it's got some of the best artwork in an anime so far. That, and it features the guys who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. :D

I believe it's on episode 9 now, definately worth looking into. (Oh, and the ending theme is Radiohead - Paranoid Android :D )
2006-05-12, 7:30 AM #32
I saw the movie around the christmas of 2002. Didn't like it that much. Haven't even watched it since... cartoons are for kids anyway. Geez!

Speaking of which, time to watch Space Ghost. Toodles!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-12, 9:21 AM #33
Aye, Ergo Proxy is an interesting series so far. It certainly doesn't reveal everything too fast.
2006-05-16, 3:09 PM #34
Okay...so my torrent finally finished. I'm on episode three of Stand Alone Complex and it's really good so far. It's too bad they couldn't have made this show for an hour slot instead of a half-hour...the show's complexity kind of needs more time (some of the stuff is quite rushed). Overall though, good stuff.

I thought I'd share.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-16, 3:34 PM #35
Originally posted by Koobie:
On the off-topic of not-so-bad animes, you should also watch Hellsing. It's 13 episodes of vampire mayhem. Very sweet.

Yeah, I'm surprised you're the only one that mentioned it. I think it's a great series. I even got myself to buy the manga.

Also like:

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Big O

EDIT: Forgot to mention but I barely watched Ghost in the Shell(caught it half way through in Stand Alone Complex). I might have to find the time to sit down and watch it.
No sig.
2006-05-16, 4:32 PM #36
GitS was a damn boring movie.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-05-16, 8:39 PM #37
i'm gonna go with bebop, big o, trigun and outlaw star for the win
2006-05-16, 8:50 PM #38
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]GitS was a damn boring movie.[/QUOTE]

It's not like you have good taste in anything.
2006-05-16, 8:53 PM #39
Outlaw Star, sluts.
2006-05-16, 9:36 PM #40
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]GitS was a damn boring movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was. I regret getting the movie for Christmas. The TV series is a LOT better although the movie did have a bit more depth too it.

↑ Up to the top!