Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guys...is this true???
Guys...is this true???
2006-05-13, 12:58 AM #1
Your body language if/when u like a girl...would u all agree???

Men and women differ greatly in how they do things and this can lead to confusion. What may be seen as disinterest by one part is a bright red "I like you" flag flapping in the breeze for the other. Here are some very basic body language signals to watch for interacting with potential male partners.

Eyes and Eye Contact

A man will lock eyes with a woman he is interested in getting to know. If this look is accompanied by a large smile, all the better! A man who is a bit less confident in your reaction may look at you until you meet his eyes and then he will look away. If he is interested you will feel his eyes on you again very soon.

When a man is looking at a woman he is interested in his pupils will dilate. This is perhaps that hardest sign to catch. The eyebrows rising slightly and quickly may accompany this. This sign is true for both men and women. Our pupils will dilate when we are looking at anything we like whether if be an object or person.

Men and women differ when it comes to eye contact during conversation. A man who is intently listening to what you have to say may be looking off to the side or towards the floor. Women usually take this as a sign that he is not listening when in fact he is paying close attention to you. At the same time if he is constantly looking away and watching other people, he may be showing non-interest.

Body position

A man who is trying to impress you will square his shoulders. He may subconsciously adjust his tie (if he is wearing one), suck in his stomach or touch his hair. If he is sitting he may have his legs slightly spread and his shoulders will be angled in your direction. If a man is sitting with his shoulders squarely directed at you this can be seen as an invitation to continue the conversation or that he is interested in getting to know you better. If he has crossed his legs either by resting an ankle on his knee or by crossing them at the ankles he may point his foot at you. A man who is not interested may seem to move his body away from you in an effort to get you away from his personal space.

Arms

Generally it is thought that a person with their arms crossed over their chest is "closing themselves off" to you. This may not always be the case. For men this is just quite often very comfortable, especially while sitting or leaning upon a table. If the person is standing before you with their arms crossed you may take this as a sign of disinterest but in any other case be careful how you read this one. Crossed arms can mean anything from "I'm cold" to "I wish I were wearing a more fashionable shirt right about now". If you come across a person with their arms crossed look for tension in the pose to read more into this sign. If their shoulders are tense or they seem to be gripping their arms they may be uncomfortable and closed off.

His Most Private Parts

Men will most often draw attention to their genitals without realizing they are doing it. It is almost never a conscious thing. They may put one or both hands on their belt or belt buckle or angle the lower part of their body toward you. It's a way of saying "I'm a virile male". This works much in the same way a woman may fling her hair over her shoulder. Most often she is not aware she is doing anything out of the ordinary but she is in fact drawing attention to her neck and chest.

You and Your Stuff

A man who is interested may often touch you, even if just briefly. They may lay a hand on your arm lightly while making a point or to redirect your attention. They may also touch your drink glass or any personal object you may have lying on the table. You may also find that he mirrors your actions and your voice fluctuations. This is referred to as "mirroring" and is a very positive sign that he is interested.

Wrap up

Remember that it's not just one piece of visual communication that will tell the tale for you. It's more like a combination of many signs and signals. Try to look at the overall picture instead of just focusing on one thing. It's not an exact science and it may take you some practice before you know how to pick up the subtle hints a man may be sending you. Also remember that you should not spend your entire evening trying to read everyone's body language. You may appear preoccupied and introverted. Try to have fun and remember the most important piece of body language you possess, your smile.

would u guys agree? do u do this? lol
2006-05-13, 1:06 AM #2
I wish I were wearing a more fashionable shirt right about now.
2006-05-13, 1:06 AM #3
PS that was from a source online lol not from me
2006-05-13, 1:08 AM #4
It all sounds pretty cliche, to me. *shrug* At the same time, I could see it happening.
DISCLAIMER: This is just armchair observation, not the result of many hours of deliberate study of the subject. I'm by no means an expert, but just an ignorant hick who's putting his two cents in. For that and a nickel, you can have a cup of coffee.
2006-05-13, 1:15 AM #5
It's probably true, and most of it not even intended.

I was reading this thing once that talked about how if you asked someone to recall a smell, they'd look one direction, and if you asked them to remember a sound, they'd look another. Humans are weird.
2006-05-13, 1:21 AM #6
I'm pretty sure I do some of that stuff. Let's say it's true.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-05-13, 1:29 AM #7
For American heterosexual males, yeah. Me and all my guy friends are like this. I dunno about other demos.

-Probably works the same for gay guys at least.
2006-05-13, 1:34 AM #8
That sounded like a pretty clever and well thought-out text.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-13, 1:34 AM #9
like what are some things u all do like indiviually

like when u like a chick or what have u. what are things u do, or rather, how do u act around her and all that?
2006-05-13, 1:42 AM #10
Well, if I'm sitting at a table with her, I'll rest my head on my elbow and stare at her till she gets so uncomfortable that she has to talk.

-Studies have shown that 60% of the time it works every time.
2006-05-13, 1:59 AM #11
I have no experience with this. But I know I can't maintain eye contact with anything for long.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-13, 2:03 AM #12
Doesnt say anything about grabbing her behind when she's not looking, so it's NOT true.

Try maintaning eye contact and not blinking (now that's just plain wrong) and then tears will come out of your eyes, when she asks what's with the tears, just say that "You're so beautiful, it makes me cry (sad) thinking that you're not mine", and SNAP!.

or just say that you'll go cut yourself. both versions work.
Pie.
2006-05-13, 2:11 AM #13
It sounds like some lame internet thing.

That said, I generally say/do the stupidest **** around women I like. This winter I was leaving class to go home after a long day when I decided I should be all gentlemanly and say goodbye to this girl. I've just shut my locker and have all my winter gear on by the time this occurs to me, so I open it again to make it look like I'm all busy with stuff and not just waiting around for her to leave the classroom (doors are locked from the outside). Anyway, she comes out of the class talking to some people, so I awkwardly jump into the conversation exclaiming "see you tomorrow, blank," casually toss one glove in my still-open locker and then slam it shut. I forget what she said...some kind of "see you later," type-thing, but I remember just standing there thinking "yeah, played that one real cool".

It's funny in retrospect but at the time I was just like "what did I do that for? Now I just have to open the locker again."

Uh, and her name wasn't 'blank' either.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-13, 2:15 AM #14
yes i am also familiar with the terrible failures upon trying to get. girl.
Pie.
2006-05-13, 3:21 AM #15
I almost never look people in the eye when they're talking to me except friends.

I've noticed body language before and the only real thing about is probably the angle at which people point their body towards you while talking. The eye dilating thing is rubbish, I've never seen anyone dilate their eyes, even when we've tried to get them to do it by looking at things they like etc.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-13, 3:24 AM #16
I'M A VIRILE MALE!!!!ROOARRRRR

it mostly sounds overly complicated.

If i like a girl, i will tease her/call her names and pull her hair in the playground.
:)

Usually if i like a girl, i'm too nervous to be witty/charming, so i end standing there saying nothing <.<

That hasn't happened in a whiletho.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-13, 3:25 AM #17
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
The eye dilating thing is rubbish, I've never seen anyone dilate their eyes.

you don't say.... :D
Pie.
2006-05-13, 3:29 AM #18
Haha I knew someone would say that nitro. Nah, we got them to go up to people they fancy and check and stuff. Heck, I even got girls I like to check if I was when they came up close. I didn't, others didn't. It just isn't noticable enough to bother looking out for.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-13, 3:37 AM #19
You do realize you're asking a bunch of males if they do a bunch of things off a list subconsciously to a member of the opposite sex they are interested in, right? Let me say that again: subconsciously. Now, class, why is such a thing to ask people? Oh right...they're subconscious gestures...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-13, 3:39 AM #20
roach, some guys know how they act aroung girls. some guys know they get nervous, others might blush...and know they are blushing, others might be quick to ask a girl out, others might try to get to know her, like to flirt with her in a specific way...understand, or shall I make it more simple ?
2006-05-13, 3:46 AM #21
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
roach, some guys know how they act aroung girls. some guys know they get nervous, others might blush...and know they are blushing, others might be quick to ask a girl out, others might try to get to know her, like to flirt with her in a specific way...understand, or shall I make it more simple ?

dont forget about the gays.

girls get naked just like that, and dont feel embarrassed, it's good to be gay.
Pie.
2006-05-13, 4:50 AM #22
I get them drunk. Hah.

Interestingly, on Wed. evening as I was going home from town, a noteable moment occured. There was practically noone but me in the tram (well, and 3 dudes on the other side), so all the seats were free. I'm sitting cross-legged, looking out the window. Then, this awesome-body OKAY-face girl (early 20's, I guess) jumps in, practically pushes my leg aside, sais "Scuse me" and sits right in front of me.

Mmmkay.

For 4 stops she's just sitting there smiling, trying to figure out how to start a conversation. I just sit there looking at the window. Before the final stop she gets off. Hmm.

I guess I technically failed something, but I honestly couldn't care less at the moment. However, it was rather amusing.

Hmm. Well that was pretty off-topic.
幻術
2006-05-13, 4:56 AM #23
Originally posted by Koobie:
For 4 stops she's just sitting there smiling, trying to figure out how to start a conversation. I just sit there looking at the window. Before the final stop she gets off. Hmm.

OMG FAILURE!

(you know, good conversation starter: "What the hell are you smiling at? b.." - should work :o )
Pie.
2006-05-13, 5:01 AM #24
Most of my conversations here start with, "Do you speak English?" actually. But honestly, I couldn't care less. It's a temporary condition, though, I presume.
幻術
2006-05-13, 5:07 AM #25
I guess that sounds about right. For me, the eye contact only comes once there's genuine interest and trust involved, generally. I hardly look women in the eyes otherwise, I'll be staring at the wall next to them or at their breasts. :o
2006-05-13, 6:29 AM #26
Most of it is correct. However, there is more than just that.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-13, 6:35 AM #27
I've never really focused on body movement during conversations.. except that I always watched how John Cage moved his hands when talking on Ally McBeal.

That or my eye movement always gets to boobies. :/
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-13, 6:45 AM #28
I do pretty much all of that except the touching/mirroring stuff. I'm always painfully aware of my own actions so I can never do it.

I definitely do the whole not-maintaining-eye-contact-whilst-listening thing though, I generally just look at a random object some distance away.

That list isn't that helpful for guys though, there must be some other signs. Because if this list is accurate, the only girls who've ever been interested in me have all in happy long-term relationships.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-13, 6:47 AM #29
i look at the boobs and eyes
2006-05-13, 7:07 AM #30
I'm direct. I simply go after whatever I want and take it as my own. Objects / women, it doesn't matter.

And the word is, "you."
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-05-13, 8:15 AM #31
I normally just walk around with a raging jephard-on
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-13, 10:53 AM #32
Originally posted by TheRuleofThirds:
It all sounds pretty cliche, to me. *shrug* At the same time, I could see it happening.

Cliche is born from real actions. In this case, it;s all valid, but you have to remeber that it's all very subtle, and you wouldn't likely notice it unless you were looking for it.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-13, 11:38 AM #33
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:

Oh right right...no I think you'll have to dumb it down. See, those things you just named sren't subconscious, however, everything in your "rule-book-for-if-a-guy-like-oh-my-god-likes-me!!" list is very much subconscious. Now, you asked if those things are "true" not "hey guys, do you play it smooth or do you spill drinks on her? :D :D :D ;) !!!"
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-13, 11:52 AM #34
I do this stuff on purpose because it isn't natural for me.

I work for my romance dammit!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-13, 1:10 PM #35
The not-maintaining-eye contact thing is definately true. It's damn near impossible for me to keep my eyes on my girlfriend, even when I try conciously to do so.

As for everything else, I haven't really noticed it, nor do I think I do it.
2006-05-13, 1:18 PM #36
Feed us well, or we'll do this

(anyone else think of Shintock as the minivan guy?)
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-13, 1:29 PM #37
most of the eye contact stuff is true for me (except for the dilating, which i can't see my own eyes, so i wouldn't know)

i don't think everything there will apply to everyone at once, of course, but on average, that appears to be fairly accurate
Moo.
2006-05-13, 1:30 PM #38
whenever i see a hot girl, i just start pelvic thrusting her.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-13, 1:38 PM #39
I love Roach.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-05-13, 1:39 PM #40
Alright Boys since this thread is up I might as well go straight to the source(s) on some boy issues that have troubled sugarless and myself for awhile.

(Please help - we're pretty confused)

Sugarless and I were at a party with another friend of ours. Sugarless and Katie (our friend) are both really good looking and I'm not repulsive or anything. So the three of us are standing in a corner chatting amongst ourselves when we see a guy (- who has been introduced to us-) start to walk towards us but when he comes reletively close to us its like he hit an invisible force field and turned the other way. He did this four times - with subtle variations. Sometimes he woud shake his head before turning away. We were all pretty puzzled. The party was nice and he and most everyone there- (though not the three of us actually) had been drinking or was drunk. There was also dancing. We saw at least two other guys do this same thing.

Also I was crushing somewhat on a guy there and I caught him looking at me a couple times. But he only came up to my little group of girls which included Sugarless, myself and two others) when Josh (who was also his friend) was with us. He never really said anything, just sorta bounced along with the dance then left reletively quickly. This happend around three times...and I was just confused

...Help? ...Decode?...Something?
"I've never seen anyone do an interpretive dance to Mien Kampf "
- MST3K

↑ Up to the top!