Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gas Prices
Gas Prices
2006-05-18, 1:03 PM #1
When are you people going to stop *****ing?

Heres a better one, when are the people that are *****ing the most stop driving Stupid, Useless, Vehicles.

Seriously. We still only pay like HALF as much per gallon as other countries.

In short, debate the whole oil thing.
2006-05-18, 1:07 PM #2
I *****, because it jumps from 80 cents a litre to 1.30ish like every 2 months for no reason, it a big hassle when 95% of your money is tied up.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-05-18, 1:13 PM #3
whine whine whine. i can't be responsible with my money so i will whine about anything and everything. whine whine whine.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-18, 1:20 PM #4
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=41129#post672161
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-18, 1:23 PM #5
My truck gets about 20 L per 100 km (that's the messed up way we measure it in Canada, apparently) which is about 11 mpg.

GAS GAS LOL
Stuff
2006-05-18, 1:25 PM #6
Hurray for no competition among oil selling nations.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-18, 1:44 PM #7
Hybrid FTW
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-05-18, 2:06 PM #8
Sure I don't like high gas prices, but when I know that an extremely inelastic demand for gas (no substitues) exists, then of course the gas prices are gonna be extremely high. If I were in charge of the gas companies, I would be jacking my price up even higher because of my inelastic demand.

Gas prices are just phases. They were extremly high in late 70s and 80s, then dropped incredibly in the 90s, and are now back on the increase. Soon enough, they'll go back down. It's like the stock market.

We can only wait for substitues. Putting a price ceiling on gas would only make it worse and create a incredible shortage.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-05-18, 2:10 PM #9
An advantage of living on a campus: you don't have daily transportation (gas included) expenses.

A disadvantage of living on a campus: you can't really leave.

I actually haven't heard anyone I know complain about gas prices as much as the media portrays it.
2006-05-18, 2:13 PM #10
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Sure I don't like high gas prices, but when I know that an extremely inelastic demand for gas (no substitues) exists, then of course the gas prices are gonna be extremely high. If I were in charge of the gas companies, I would be jacking my price up even higher because of my inelastic demand.

Gas prices are just phases. They were extremly high in late 70s and 80s, then dropped incredibly in the 90s, and are now back on the increase. Soon enough, they'll go back down. It's like the stock market.

We can only wait for substitues. Putting a price ceiling on gas would only make it worse and create a incredible shortage.

It's only going to get higher (generally) because supply will lessen and demand will increase. Eventually petroleum will become too valuable to use for gasoline in vehicles because it will be needed for plastics and lubricants.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-18, 2:16 PM #11
Also, free oil.
Stuff
2006-05-18, 2:26 PM #12
Free? Don't you mean synthetic?
2006-05-18, 2:34 PM #13
Originally posted by Freelancer:
It's only going to get higher (generally) because supply will lessen and demand will increase. Eventually petroleum will become too valuable to use for gasoline in vehicles because it will be needed for plastics and lubricants.

That's exactly it. It's getting a lot more expensive to extact the oil, and it's only going to get more expensive. Conservative estimates say that it will no longer be economically viable to extract oil in 100 years. More liberal estimates are about 30 years. Either way, it's time to find another power source to run our engines so we can get to work.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 4:10 PM #14
Why do people buy Hummers?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-18, 4:39 PM #15
Originally posted by Rob:
We still only pay like HALF as much per gallon as other countries.

Most other countries are a lot smaller than ours (United States) though. You could drive across a lot of countries in the time it would take to go across my state.
2006-05-18, 4:51 PM #16
how many times do you actually drive completely across the state? i couldn't imagine very often.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-18, 4:58 PM #17
About once a month for me.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-18, 5:45 PM #18
Many early cars ran on ethanol.

We have the technology to use ethanol, so why not go back to it? Unlike petroleum, Ethanol is a renewable energy source b/c it produced by fermenting sugars, which are naturally abundant in crops such as corn, which the Midwest USA has plenty of.

There's no reason why engines can't be built to run entirely on ethanol in future vehicles b/c we did it in the past. All we have to do is get the necessary infrastructure into place and start phasing out the use of gasoline pumps at service stations and replacing them with ethanol pumps. The oil companies may b**** and moan about it, but its inevitable.
2006-05-18, 6:18 PM #19
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
The oil companies may b**** and moan about it, but its inevitable.

which is exactly why it will take more than my lifetime to have this switch ever take place.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-18, 6:21 PM #20
Plus that whole little pesky problem about not enough crops existing to both feed the population and fuel all of our motorvehicles...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-18, 6:29 PM #21
Brazil is virtually oil independent. The use Ethanol from sugarcane I think.
-Hell Raiser
2006-05-18, 6:29 PM #22
That's not quite true. Most most the corn grown in North America is feed for livestock. If there were a change in that practice, it woldn't be so difficult, but that would require a shift in eating habits, which probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 6:52 PM #23
Ya know on MythBusters they proved that you can run a diesel engine by just running cooking oil through some basic filters. They mentioned you only lose 10% efficiency, but considering you can get it for free right now and you only have to filter it before putting it in your car...

They made an interesting point though, if everybody switched to it then it would start actually costing $$$ for cooking oil for fuel. Although since it's a resource we use in large quantities anyways and what is used in the car is AFTER it's been used for cooking, how much could it really be?
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-05-18, 6:52 PM #24
Originally posted by Rob:
Heres a better one, when are the people that are *****ing the most stop driving Stupid, Useless, Vehicles.

When I went to see MI:3 I saw a preview for Over the Hedge. I believe this quote put it best:

Quote:
Squirrel: Wooooow...what is it?
Leader: That, my friends, is an SUV.
Squirrel: How many people does this thing carry?
Leader: Normally? One.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-18, 7:05 PM #25
Originally posted by Roach:
Plus that whole little pesky problem about not enough crops existing to both feed the population and fuel all of our motorvehicles...

Crap. So we're using more energy than we can reasonably expect to extract from sunlight?

That ain't exactly sustainable.
Stuff
2006-05-18, 8:05 PM #26

thats bull****. hundreds if not thousands of tons of potential food products are wasted every day. just thrown out. theres more than enough to feed the world, its a matter of distribution.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-18, 9:01 PM #27
That's true for sure. Another big problem, in addition to a lot of grain beng used to feed live stock, is that such a large percentage of fish catches are used to feed live stock as well.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 9:07 PM #28
A good portion of the grain used to feed cattle isn't suitable for human consumption.

(You'd **** blood.)
2006-05-18, 9:10 PM #29
I know. Some is grown specifically for livestock consumption, however. That's kind of the issue.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 10:07 PM #30
If it's only fit for cattle we could probably still get ethanol out of it.

of course, the fuel-grade ethanol would also likely be unfit for human consumption as well...
2006-05-18, 10:16 PM #31
Yeah because the jerks mix it with stuff; if they left it alone it'd be perfectly fit for human consumption. Gen-u-ine 200 proof grain alcohol, that is...
Stuff
2006-05-18, 10:23 PM #32

Plus that whole "it takes more energy to produce 1 unit of ethanol than 1 unit of ethanol gives off" thing...
2006-05-18, 10:29 PM #33
Plus that whole "well no crap, nobody expects ethanol to magically be able to violate the laws of thermodynamics" thing.

(Seriously, wtf? Why is it news that more energy goes into the production of ethanol than you eventually get out of it? Isn't that a given?)
Stuff
2006-05-18, 10:30 PM #34
At least you can grow more corn.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 10:31 PM #35
Originally posted by kyle90:
Why is it news that more energy goes into the production of ethanol than you eventually get out of it?

It's news because producing ethanol for the purpose of energy or fuel is equivalent to simply throwing oil down the drain.
2006-05-18, 10:35 PM #36
How so? More energy goes into producing gasoline than you ever get out of it; why is that different?
Stuff
2006-05-18, 10:45 PM #37
And the plants used to produce the ethanol grow back and a much faster rate; every year vs. millions of years it wouldtake for oil reserves to replenish.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-18, 10:54 PM #38
Originally posted by kyle90:
How so? More energy goes into producing gasoline than you ever get out of it; why is that different?

It's different because the "more energy goes into producing gasoline than you get out of it" part takes place over millions of years before we were born. It's ready to be used in an instant by simply excavating and refining it (neither of which take much energy comparatively).

Using 2 units of petroleum to create 1 unit of ethanol doesn't make much sense. Using 2 units of ethanol to create 1 unit of ethanol makes even less sense.
2006-05-19, 12:02 AM #39
Originally posted by Ford:
thats bull****. hundreds if not thousands of tons of potential food products are wasted every day. just thrown out. theres more than enough to feed the world, its a matter of distribution.

Right. It's bull****. Give me one good resource that backs that statement up and I'll never post in this thread again.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-19, 6:11 AM #40
I like high gas prices. I'm hoping that it will cause all of the idiots out here in the country to move back to the city, closer to their jobs.

↑ Up to the top!