Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your Favourite game glitches
Post your Favourite game glitches
2004-06-18, 12:15 PM #1
Surely everyone can remember something crazy happening in a game due to a glitch of some kind.

My most recent one was when I was playing GTA3 fairly early in the game, when I was still confined to portland. On the portland island, I took a car and jumped it off the cliff near the car crusher thing in Harwood. The car landed right side up, but it got stuck on one of the piles of old tires and somehow the game kept trying to move the car forward, but it couldn't b/c the car's physics kept smashing into the tire pile (that must be one strong tire pile. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif])

Anyway, the car began to burrow into the ground. (perhaps the game was trying to burrow under the tire pile?)

Soon, the car breaks through the floor of the map, and I'm out in the void. I was expecting the game to crash, freeze, or do something, but I then land with a crash somewhere in Shoreside Vale after falling from the sky. The strange thing is, the car isn't even damaged that much.

Crazy, eh?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 18, 2004).]
2004-06-18, 12:21 PM #2
The game Jurassic Park: Trespasser was absolutely insane when it came to glitches. The best was the collision system glitch that caused a gun to get stuck in a dinosaur's *** . (there was a pic of this happening, somewhere, but I forget where now).

------------------
Dark, Darker, Darko

RIP Madaventor: God bless you.
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
2004-06-18, 12:28 PM #3
In the first version of UT2k4, while playing singleplayer, I jumped into a goliath, and for some reason I could fly like in a raptor...

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!

[This message has been edited by Flexor (edited June 18, 2004).]
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-18, 12:52 PM #4
Being able to drive on the water outside the map on the original Driver for PSX.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-06-18, 12:57 PM #5
Not really a glitch, but co-ed slap fights in the basement in Goldeneye are funny...

------------------
Please send me e-mail....
2004-06-18, 1:05 PM #6
Jedi Knight. If you die at the exact moment you change a weapon, the dying anim will cancel, you will mount you gun, and you will stand there (idle anims and everying) like you were still alive. You still get put in the "Death Cam's" persective though.

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-18, 1:48 PM #7
Well my least favourite game glitch is in JK...

If you get killed or commit suicide and then your dead body falls down a pit and it fades to black, you die agaim. Even though it was your dead body which fell.

So if someone kills you near a pit, then uses the conc/raildet to push you off the edge, they'll get a point and you'll loose one. Really annoys me at times.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-18, 1:52 PM #8
Yeah, that is a cheap glitch. Always funny when done to someone else though.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-18, 1:53 PM #9
In Twisted Metal 2 and Jet Moto for the original Playstation, you could "get out of the map". There were small holes in the barries around the map that allowed you to escape.....it wasnt the least bit useful as far as gameplay was concerned, but it was still as funny as hell.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-18, 1:57 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

If you get killed or commit suicide and then your dead body falls down a pit and it fades to black, you die agaim. Even though it was your dead body which fell.

So if someone kills you near a pit, then uses the conc/raildet to push you off the edge, they'll get a point and you'll loose one. Really annoys me at times.

</font>

I hate that JK feature. I want to watch poor Kyle splat into paste at the bottom, dammit! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-18, 2:00 PM #11
there's a small glitch in THPS3 where if you place 2 of the trailers right against each other in the park editor... your skater can get stuck between them...

also a few fun glitches from the Tribes 2 beta days that i won't mention here... you might get jealous

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-18, 2:08 PM #12
Maybe not a glitch as much as it is just confusing, but in JA I was able to get ATST's to drive around on those fast bikes... 0_o

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-06-18, 3:04 PM #13
in Counter-Strike 1.6 if you fast swich in the middle of reloading a deagle it looks like you reloading untill you jump but as long as you dont jump people think your reloading so you can just fire at them before they get to you
2004-06-18, 3:10 PM #14
UT2k4 had amusing bug (before they patched it) where you could park a Raptor right up against a Leviathan, deploy the Leviathan over the Raptor, and then fly the Raptor around with the Leviathan hanging off the side. Always amusing to see the freaken huge Leviathan cruising by firing wildly.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited June 18, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-18, 3:13 PM #15
Quote:

</font>

I actually love that glitch, but not for the reasons you said. I'd get groups of people together at Valley of the Jedi Tower and we'd have contests to see who could get the highest suicide score in a certain amount of time. This basically involved throwing yourself off a ledge and then very quickly hitting "T-TAB-kill". Fun as hell. I found it incredibly addicting when other people were playing too for some reason.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-18, 4:08 PM #16
In GTA3, you can go into the subway station and start running down the tracks in the opposite direction of the train. The train will soon come hurtling straight toward you. If you jump into the air so that the train hits you at the peak of your jump, you can get slammed to the side right through the subway wall. Then you'll fall into the blue void and what Pagewizard said will happen. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-06-18, 4:21 PM #17
In the practice ramp in THPS4 if you grined and ollied just right you could get out of the fenced in skatepark. Then you could skate around the mosty untextured town and skitch on those really fast cars and get some huge air.

------------------
"If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents, I would be Canada."
"Should slice indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."
¨I like the concept of people, but people ruin it.¨
--@%
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-06-18, 4:39 PM #18
The entire game Gothic was awesome, it was so glitchy. Me and my little brother once attempted to categorize all the glitches. The best was the one we called the "basement bug", where you fell through the ground and could walk around in what we called the "basement", you could see some of the scripting too, it was cool.

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-18, 4:42 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Jack:
in Counter-Strike 1.6 if you fast swich in the middle of reloading a deagle it looks like you reloading untill you jump but as long as you dont jump people think your reloading so you can just fire at them before they get to you</font>

Oh, there are a LOT of glitches in 1.6, at least there used to be. Most of them involve the shield.. I forget how it went, but it let you buy two primaries.

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-18, 5:12 PM #20
In Far Cry, I've seen the pigs drive a jeep before... wierd.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-06-18, 5:16 PM #21
Just tonight I was playing NFSU and an AI's car slammed head on into a wall at 100+ mph, and he just turned straight back onto the track at full speed, didn't phase him. Now I call that a glitch, or some uber cheesey AI.
2004-06-18, 5:19 PM #22
In Far Cry, I once killed a person at the machine gun, they died standing up with there arms straight out. I have a screenshots of it somewhere. It's like jesus.jpg [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Also, if a person in FarCry dies on a ledge sometimes the person will just stay straight out instead of falling off the ledge. My favorite glitches are with the blood. Glitch one is, the blood patch will sometimes show up vertically instead of flat on the ground. The second is even if there is no body the pool of blood keeps getting bigger and bigger.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-18, 5:47 PM #23
In diablo 2 when you can kill mephisto by arrows from the one little place and he cant hit you.

There are also a few good ones in Sim City 2k. Like when you cheat u can have no money yet buy anything.

------------------
Ya know ive noticed that turning into a grown up just means you have more power to change your body into crap.
Light And Darkness|Remnant Temple Part A|A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-06-18, 6:02 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prince Xizor:
In diablo 2 when you can kill mephisto by arrows from the one little place and he cant hit you.

There are also a few good ones in Sim City 2k. Like when you cheat u can have no money yet buy anything.

</font>

and the ever popular fund bug where you get ~1 million dollars each year... you can effectively drop off all taxes and have fully funded police, fire, everything and still have money

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-06-18, 6:26 PM #25
In JK, I once had a screenshot of my lightsaber force pulled from me. I was using a conc or something in a custom single-player level, and right as I was switching to the lightsaber, the bad guy put down force pull on me. It made a funny crystal shape with the lightsaber. I lost the screenie though. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-18, 8:05 PM #26
In halo, on the snowy MP level, if you drive a tank next to a certain spot in the cliff, and run at it full speed with the hovercraft, you can do a jump out of the map and drive around.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-18, 9:05 PM #27
There's been so many... but I don't remember anything else but some least funny thing in GTA3, when I drove somewhere on Portland, there was a Taxi in the air, just there, it didn't move.. it just was there.

Bah.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-18, 9:07 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
There's been so many... but I don't remember anything else but some least funny thing in GTA3, when I drove somewhere on Portland, there was a Taxi in the air, just there, it didn't move.. it just was there.

Bah.

</font>

is this the pc version you're talking about?

GTA3 pc is extremely buggy-- it feels more like a beta. I can definitely tell that they rushed production while porting the game. My biggest problem is annoying freezing errors.

Vice city pc is a much better port. it rarely freezes for me and seems more stable overall.

------------------
2004-06-18, 9:12 PM #29
Yeah, it's the PC version.

Too bad Vice City's PC version doesn't work on my comp.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-18, 9:17 PM #30
If playing co-op in the halo snowy level and on easy mode when you come to the first bridge go right and then jump off the edge. You land on a cliff and one of you kills the other then the alive one jumps off and while falling you spawn him on another cliff.

Then you can go get on a troop transport and get flown around. Theres no enemys left in the rest of the level and you can both get banshees and have a dog fight.

------------------
~Nightfire Mod~
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-06-18, 9:18 PM #31
In the original Spyro the Dragon, in the very last level, Gnasty's Vault, there is one spot where it is possible to fly outside of the constraints of the level... Discovered that on my own...

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-06-18, 9:19 PM #32
I pulled out MLB 98 on PSX the other day, and I managed to get the computer runner in a pickle in between first and second. I threw the ball to second and started chasing him back to first, and threw the ball to first just as he was almost there. He slid head first and the first baseman tagged him out, but the runner just kept on sliding past first base. The game wouldn't resume because the guy was still sliding, so I decided to run around the field to try and find him. He had somehow managed to slide out the right side of the stadium, and entered back somewhere near left-center field, only to continue sliding. Needless to say, I had to restart the game.
sigs are fun stuff
2004-06-18, 10:39 PM #33
In Burnout 2 Crash mode, A friend had just made a huge pile up. Suddenly, a Semi in the middle of the pile up is launced 200 feet straight up into the air.
2004-06-19, 7:08 AM #34
Gta-Vice city. i jumped of the side of the Vercetti Mansion, went straight thru the floor and like into the void..BUT then i hit like a platform in the blackness i ran around for a good few mins..then got bored. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"OMG! It looks like ther's been a Claw Shrimp in here.."
"OMG! It looks like ther's been a Claw Shrimp in here.."
2004-06-19, 8:23 AM #35
In Farcry, in the jungle assault map, if you drive off the cliff near the third flag/capture point using the hummer, you can survive the fall quite easily, with only about 25% damage to the hummer. You can then drive around outside the map.

Also in Far Cry, in the dam level, where the chainlink fence prevents you from taking the AWD Vehicle back to the first half of the map, it is possible to drive up over the hill on the right around the fence. You can then go drive around in the jungle where you were dumped by the helicopter without any weapons, shooting all the mutants you had to hide from before.

Another interesting far cry tidbit: It appears that originaly, the fort and pier levels were supposed to be one level originally. If you load the pier level in the editor, you can fly around and view the Fort terrain, without any vegetation. Same for the Fort level, although the pier level terrain looks a bit different. Also, there is another level, a test level to display some of the Far Cry engines abilities, that is playable in the game. The name of it escapes me, but it incorportates the same Fort/Pier island. They added a few more smaller islands, and the Fort terrain looks like its an extremely early version... the center cove (where you start the map) is completely nonexistent, there is just a cliff.

In Episode I Racer, there were numerous places, especially on the swamp/volcano planet, where you could force your way through a gap in the map and into the abyss outside. You would keep falling for a while, and then eventually your pod racer would blow up.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage
2004-06-19, 9:38 AM #36
I got a funny error message in Morrowind..I wrote it down, but it's at home and I'm not..so I can't remember. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-06-19, 12:18 PM #37
Quote:

</font>

That's never happened to me (oh, great, I just shot my luck in the face [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] ), but I'd imagine it's incredibly annoying.
Probably not as much when you're 10 points ahead however [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-19, 1:14 PM #38
Not really game-related but last night i was at my friend's house and i was trying to get mirc set up for her, and Norton very helpfully pops up this message:

Warning (low risk): AOL Connectivity Software has attempted to access the internet.

I about wet myself laughing..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-06-19, 2:00 PM #39
In Rush 2 for the N64, you could drive off the side of the Stunt arena and off the map. It was a great and cheap way to earn free points, as you couldn't crash.

In Ocarina of Time (ver. 1.0 at least), if you save your game when you lost the Master Sword to Ganon, and load it up again, it would by default not have anything assigned to the B button (usually reserved for the sword). As long as you don't equip anything, you can do crazy stuff with Epona, like use the hookshot while riding [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

In Majora's Mask, I used the infinite magic milk you can buy when facing the sand worms, so I could be giant all the time. The game froze after a bit. I don't think I was able to repeat it though.

In Paper Mario, I used Sushie's Hurricane Attack on some bad guys on the Star Road (it involves pressing as many buttons as you can when they flash up, and the more you get, the greater damage it does). I managed to hit so many the game froze. I was only able to do this in my prime though -- I'm not too hot at even getting max damage.

In Wind Waker, if you have a GBA and bomb the main player (Link) while he's using the telescope, the camera backs out as if you were using the free camera, but it still has the telescope 'frame' around the player until you enter a building or the like.

There's more I'm sure, but I'm having difficulty which ones were legitimate glitches and which ones were caused by me screwing around with the game via a GameShark, Game Genie, Action Replay, etc. Those kinds of glitches are the best [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Speaking of, does anybody know why the hell in Half-Life, very near the start of the "Forget About Freeman" chapter (you just finished the airstrike bit) you're in this area with some alien beehand grunts and electric-zappy dudes and there's an elevator that's broken. It says something like "Black Mesa Central Command" or the like. Anywhos, if you noclip into the elevetor (strange, why did they bother with making an elevator room?) and press the button to activate it going up (even stranger) it appears to want to load something but freezes. Anyone else know about it? Got any idea what it might have been more specifically other than "a part of Half-Life Valve didn't work into the final product?" It seems like something that should have been answered on planethalflife.com or something, but hell if I know how to search for it.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-06-19, 2:13 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Agent_C68:
In Burnout 2 Crash mode, A friend had just made a huge pile up. Suddenly, a Semi in the middle of the pile up is launced 200 feet straight up into the air.</font>

which version?

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!

↑ Up to the top!