Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gamecube games...
Gamecube games...
2006-05-21, 9:57 AM #1
I'm looking to buy a few games for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube that I never played the first time around.

For Gamecube, games I enjoyed: Zelda Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Paper Mario 2, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime (to an extend, the last boss was too hard I thought), etc.

What do you guys think about these games...

Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II
2006-05-21, 10:01 AM #2
Those are 4 of the staple gamecube games that every owner MUST have. Honestly, where have you been? :p

As far as PS2 goes, I reccommend looking out for Okami. Looks promising.
D E A T H
2006-05-21, 10:11 AM #3
Super Mario Sunshine was fun. Not much more I can say, really. Graphics are nice (although they were more impressive back then), and there's a lot of things to experiment with once you've finished the game.

Never played Metroid Prime 2, but if it's much like the first one then it's a good game :p

SSBM is fantastic, particularly if you've got friends who can play regularly. Multiplayer is where the game really shines with this, and it's a lot better when you play with people who know what they're doing.

Rogue Squadron 2...by this I guess you mean Rogue Leader and not Rebel Strike? I'd probably go for the less popular opinion and say get Rebel Strike, if either. It comes with the entirety of Rogue Leader available for Co-Op play, although some of the single player missions let it down (namely, the ones on foot). I guess if you've got a friend who (again) can play regularly, get Rebel Strike. If not...toss a coin, I guess. Rogue Leader was good, but they're both very similar.
2006-05-21, 10:20 AM #4
SSBM is possibly the most amazing party game ever. Ever.

ANYTHING Rogue Squadron is also a freaking BLAST with friends.

The Gamecube is DEFINETLY the party console. If you play with lots of other people, it's pretty much more fun than the PS2 and XBox combined. That's questionable, though, considering Halo is amazing with lots of good players. SP, however, halo is a pile of crap.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-21, 10:43 AM #5
I've wondered about getting Sunshine, as it seems like I've heard mixed thoughts about it.

Metroid Prime 2- I'd recommend getting it if you liked Prime 1, just because it's more of the same, mostly better (and harder). It does, however have some rough spots. Namely, the story is meh (what little there is), and there's far too much 'go-find-the-key' toward the end of the game. It does, however, have some of my favorite enviroments and bosses of any Metroid game. Just depends on what you liked about the Prime 1.

I don't own SSB:M. :(

Rouge Leader is fun, although I never bothered to beat it myself. Graphic still look nice even compared to a lot of newer games, too.
2006-05-21, 10:46 AM #6
Sunshine - I played Sunshine up til a certain point but then couldn't figure out what to do next.

SSBM - Freakin' awesome. Buy it.

Rogue Leader - Pretty good game. I liked it.
2006-05-21, 11:39 AM #7
GET FRIGGIN MARIO KART FRIGGIN DOUBLE DASH
2006-05-21, 11:54 AM #8
T IMESPLITTERS: FUTURE PERFECT!
2006-05-21, 12:32 PM #9
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]GET FRIGGIN MARIO KART FRIGGIN DOUBLE DASH[/QUOTE]
Quoted for truth.
2006-05-21, 12:51 PM #10
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
T IMESPLITTERS: FUTURE PERFECT!
Quoted for annoyance.
2006-05-21, 12:58 PM #11
I also recommend multiplayer Super Smash Bros, it's delightfully zany. XD

And single player has a bunch of unlockable trophies for your collecting pleasures.
Seishun da!
2006-05-21, 1:55 PM #12
Yes, TimeSplitters kicks ***. Red Faction II is another shooter I like on the cube.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-21, 5:31 PM #13
There are no equals to the awesomeness of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Only ONE game can come close to its awesomeness, and unfortunately, it isn't gonna be released till 2007. (SSB:B)

Mario Sunshine was OK, a good buy now at the discounted price, but it's nothing amazing.

Rouge Squadron II was excellent.

And both Metroid Prime games are MUST HAVES.

Also, get Eternal Darkness if you do not have it already.
2006-05-21, 5:33 PM #14
[QUOTE=Pedro T Hutt]I also recommend multiplayer Super Smash Bros, it's delightfully zany. XD

And single player has a bunch of unlockable trophies for your collecting pleasures.[/QUOTE]

Replace "bunch" with "a metric assload". There's like 293 (Or 291, something around there) trophies you can collect. And there is 51 event matches, adventure matches, all star matches, break the targets, homerun distance hitting, cruel/crazy melees, and more I am probably forgetting.
2006-05-21, 5:51 PM #15
metroid. get it now.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-21, 6:24 PM #16
I must be the only person on the planet that thinks Super Smash Brothers is boring as all hell.

Then again I find most of the tripe on Gamecube to be boring as hell. Along with it's controller... I hate that controller.....
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-21, 6:29 PM #17
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
I must be the only person on the planet that thinks Super Smash Brothers is boring as all hell.

*head explodes* Do you play with other people? GOOD people? You play with people who don't have hands, don't you?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-21, 6:36 PM #18
You are.

Quote:
Then again I find most of the tripe on Gamecube to be boring as hell. Along with it's controller... I hate that controller.....
So what do you consider to be entertaining?
2006-05-21, 6:39 PM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:
*head explodes* Do you play with other people? GOOD people? You play with people who don't have hands, don't you?

No, they all have hands. Yes, I do play with other people that are quite skilled. I also suck horribly at it because I find the controller unbearably awful to use. Yes. I've tried using it more and sticking with it. No, it didn't help. I hate that controller, end of story. Hell, I even find WATCHING people play that game to be boring.

The simple fact is that I've never much had an interest in ANYTHING Nintendo. EVER. Their games are either unappealing to me or boring, and their controller setups are awful.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
So what do you consider to be entertaining?

In general? Mostly shooters with some basis in reality and an engaging story.

Max Paye (both of 'em) was good, Half-Life (minus Xe) plus Blue Shift and Opposing Force, Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor was decent enough until I played Call of Duty, I love me some Hitman and GTA (Vice City and San Andreas), Descent was awesome.... Haven't played it in a long time though. Morrowind and Oblivion have been my RPGs of choice. I suppose KotOR should be included there, but it's more linear.... I couldn't get into Fable. I thought Doom 3 was "meh" and horribly predictable in terms of where things would spawn. Deus Ex needs no futher explaination. UT2k4 was fun, but I hardly touch online play anymore, so Unreal Championship 2 has taken over. Red Faction was good. I hated the second one.

If that doesn't give you a decent enough idea....

Gah... Idiot me... I forgot Splinter Cell. Chaos Theory was addicting.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-05-21, 6:58 PM #20
Fight Night Round 2...awesomeness!
The top ten times in history when using the "F" word
was appropriate.....
10) "What the *&%# was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima - August 1945
9) "Where did all these *&%#ing Indians come from?" - Custer 1877
8) "Any *&%#ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein 1938
7) "It does SO *&%#ing look like her!" - Picasso 1926
6) "How the *&%# did you work that out?" - Pythagoras 126 BC
5) "You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo 1566
4) "I don't suppose it's gonna *&%#ing rain." - Joan of Arc 1434
3) "Scattered *&%#ing showers...my a$$!" - Noah 2114 BC
2) "I need this parade like I need a *&%#ing hole in my head!" -
JFK 1963
1) "Aw c'mon, who the *&%# is going to find out?" - Bill Clinton 1997
2006-05-22, 4:09 AM #21
All countries have their own laws. Own set of rules to abide by. When you visit another country, you are expected to know and respect all laws despite the differences they may have with yours.

There is perhaps only one truly universal law, a law that applies no matter what country you are in:
If you own a gamecube, you must own smash brothers melee.

And...
phoenix, why did you even bother clicking on this thread if you hate everything nintendo?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-22, 5:31 AM #22

If that doesn't give you a decent enough idea....

Do you hate Nintendo or console games in general? Because from the games you listed, I'd say the later.
2006-05-22, 6:49 AM #23
Smash if you have people you can play it with. It's THE MP game for GC, however - single player by itself is not near as impressive. Still fun, but up to you.

Mario - I enjoyed the game, even though it got lots of hate for being not as great as Mario 64. I played SMS before Mario 64, and everything in 64 is in SMS IMO. I think people just wanted that same original feeling again, which the waterpack won't give you. Still, a fun game.

Roque Squardon 2 - If you like Star Wars, get it!

MP2 - Only if you liked the first. It looks beautiful, however I couldn't stand the whole light/dark world gimmick which only really felt like it was trying to make the game longer than it was. If you didn't like the first, I don't see how you would like the 2nd.

Still, good choices.
2006-05-22, 10:53 AM #24
Originally posted by Deadman:
phoenix, why did you even bother clicking on this thread if you hate everything nintendo?

Because I could? And I was ever so MILDLY interested.

Originally posted by KnobZ2:
Do you hate Nintendo or console games in general? Because from the games you listed, I'd say the later.

Nintendo mostly. I own an Xbox and love it. In fact, I have several of those games I listed ON Xbox. The list is about half PC and half Xbox.
Last Stand
2006-05-22, 11:37 AM #25
I also recommend:

Star Wars: Clone Wars
Def Jam: Fight For NY
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-05-22, 11:38 AM #26
And if you like your fighting games to be refined, Capcom vs. SNK 2.
Seishun da!
2006-05-22, 11:58 AM #27

It's okay, just know you are the only one :p

Gamecube's controller is insanely comfortable to me, and in my opinion I think you just have problems getting over your conception of "kiddyness" that the gamecube portrays. Just because a game "looks" kiddy doesn't mean that its only fun to children. Not at all.

Super Smash Bros is excellent because it involves a great deal of skill, yet it is easily accessible to new players as well.

I don't see how anything as fast-paced, challenging, and innovative as Super Smash Bros can be boring, but hey, that's why you're the only one :p :D
2006-05-22, 12:09 PM #28
I think the more correct answer would be: "Oh well, tastes differ."
Seishun da!
2006-05-22, 12:42 PM #29
[QUOTE=Pedro T Hutt]I think the more correct answer would be: "Oh well, tastes differ."[/QUOTE]

Only in the mentally disturbed. :D :D :D :D
2006-05-22, 12:53 PM #30
What are some good multiplayer co-op games for the GameCube? One has already been mentioned, Rebel Strike. Any other ones (from any "genre")?
2006-05-22, 12:56 PM #31
Phoenix is no longer allowed to have an opinion, on anything.
2006-05-22, 1:09 PM #32
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]It's okay, just know you are the only one :p
[/QUOTE]

I hate the gamecube controller too :s
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-22, 1:13 PM #33
Glyde Bane is also no longer allowed to have an opinion on anything.
2006-05-22, 1:15 PM #34
I never did have an opinion. Everything I've said has been fact.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-22, 1:22 PM #35
Glyde Bane is no longer to have opinions that may or may not be fact.
2006-05-22, 1:25 PM #36
Nintendo mostly. I own an Xbox and love it. In fact, I have several of those games I listed ON Xbox. The list is about half PC and half Xbox.

When you own an Xbox and 100% of the games you listed are also on PC, yeah, I think you're more of a PC player than a console one.

And for the love of god, buy Resident Evil 4.
2006-05-22, 1:29 PM #37
To answer someone's question, 007: Everything or Nothing is on all consoles and has awesome 2 player co-op.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-05-22, 1:43 PM #38
Originally posted by Professor:
What are some good multiplayer co-op games for the GameCube? One has already been mentioned, Rebel Strike. Any other ones (from any "genre")?

TimeSplitters
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-22, 2:05 PM #39
The 4 games you listed are all must haves. And I also reccomend Timesplitters: FP, that game is a lot of fun. I would also reccomend RE4 like you said but I thought the story wasn't that great and Leon was way too cocky. Otherwise, it was fun(loved Mercenaries).
No sig.
2006-05-22, 7:36 PM #40
Originally posted by KnobZ2:
When you own an Xbox and 100% of the games you listed are also on PC, yeah, I think you're more of a PC player than a console one.

And for the love of god, buy Resident Evil 4.

I started buying Xbox games because I got tired of dealing with drivers, settings, and all manner of other crap on the PC.
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!