Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → For those who saw X3
For those who saw X3
2006-05-26, 1:23 AM #1
Im the juggernaut, *****!
2006-05-26, 1:36 AM #2
That part made me so happy. :D
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-05-26, 6:13 AM #3
same here, my friend and i were so supprised....ah it was great hah
2006-05-26, 7:14 AM #4
Probably half of the audience laughed to that few hours ago :P
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-26, 1:42 PM #5
Dude that movie had its fine points and weak points. The indicated dialogue was indeed a fine point. But the plot suffered from predictableness and lacked in depth. I still enjoyed the movie.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-05-26, 3:46 PM #6
[QUOTE=Double Helix]Dude that movie had its fine points and weak points. The indicated dialogue was indeed a fine point. But the plot suffered from predictableness and lacked in depth. I still enjoyed the movie.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the plot personally
2006-05-26, 4:07 PM #7
Who saw the scene after the credits? :D
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-05-26, 8:06 PM #8
Uh...cussword?

-found it on 4chan.
2006-05-26, 8:40 PM #9
Oh man, when he said "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???" I was just thinkin oh god is he actually gonna say it??? And then of course he said it and I laughed possibly louder than anyone in the theater. It was too perfect.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-05-26, 9:03 PM #10
Doesn't the fact that Magneto's getting his powers back that, eventually, Rogue will get hers back, too ?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-26, 9:14 PM #11
I guess so, assuming that it turns out it's just a temporary "cure". Which would also mean that Mystique and any other mutants that Jean didn't turn into dust that got shot should too.
2006-05-26, 9:17 PM #12
most likely, wolfy.

wow, i loved this movie.

definately stay till after the credits. the clip shown is only like 5 seconds long, but totally worth it. remember what xavier was saying to his class just before he kinda zoned out
2006-05-26, 9:41 PM #13
I really enjoyed it too. I mean obviously they did some things that might piss off die-hard fans (like, well, all the deaths, Phoenix always being part of Jean, Leech being able to stop Juggernaut as if he were a mutant, and them not really making any note of Juggernaut being Xavier's brother) , but really after seeing the other two people should know it's not completely true to the comics. Doesn't make it bad.

I think Ian McKellen did an amazing job yet again. His reaction when he sees that Jean's starting to kill Xavier was just great acting. And the fact that they kept Magneto true his character, showing that he still held Xavier as his best friend and his death really impacted him. I was glad they essentially made Xavier and Magneto fine at the end, of course I expected it. I guess Xavier can walk again now? lol
2006-05-26, 9:44 PM #14
yeah i think he will, DS, but won't he look completely different? seeing as he's in a new body.. how is he going to get the others to belive it's him? and.. seeing as the mutant gene is.. well.. genetic, right? the fact that only his consciousness was trasnferred to the vegetable-guy.. he isnt going to be a mutant unless that body had the mutant gene in it, right?
2006-05-26, 11:36 PM #15
DAMMIT!
I guess I really should have stayed sitting when the movie ended.

But seriously guys, you liked the dialogue? Ugh!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-26, 11:38 PM #16
Originally posted by Deadman:
DAMMIT!
I guess I really should have stayed sitting when the movie ended.

But seriously guys, you liked the dialogue? Ugh!

Damn, it's like I wrote this message but I didn't.

But still, the dialogue was really annoying at times, especially at the beginning and I LOVE YOU .
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-27, 5:01 PM #17
Well they sure killed off half that cast...

Kinda annoyed me that Cyclops went out with a whimper never to be seen again. Beast was cool, though, and fighting the Sentinel in the Danger Room at the start was funky.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-05-27, 5:22 PM #18
I thought the lack of interaction with jean as the pheonix sucked. She seemed awfully pointless half the time. You'd think she'd have done something instead of watching all the mutants get kicked in by soldiers...

It had good bits, but also had a load of weak bits.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-27, 6:57 PM #19
Personally, I thought it was awful. Hands down the worst of the three. None of the three or four "mini-plots" connected with each other with anything more graceful than a train wreck. We have a teenage soap opera (Bobby, Kitty, Rogue) which goes absolutely nowhere. We have Magneto recruiting mutants from the local biker gang to kidnap a little kid. We have Jean coming back from the dead to kill off characters because she has a latent obsession for mindless destruction. And we have the Angel subplot, which was included only to show off a wide-angle wing-unfurling. None of these plots are interesting alone; nor are they interesting when they're smashed together with special effects and pointless cameos. And they have to be smashed together because none of them depend on any of the other to work. Magneto didn't really need Jean to kidnap a kid, Jean doesn't need anyone to rip stuff apart, and the Bobby and Angel subplots are ridiculously pointless.

And the two main subplots were awful on their own, too. What was Magneto (who apparently is now a lunatic rather than a misguided genius) doing since X2? Sitting around drinking coffee until he heard about this cure, got really pissed, and decided to take it down so he can go back to drinking coffee? Since when is the evil overlord's master-plan a simple reaction to something? What would have happened if Magneto stole and killed the cure-kid? The world would go back to the status-quo established between X2 and X3. That doesn't exactly make for epic suspense.

And the "Phoenix" was embarassingly bad. Jean turns into a super-powerful, child-like zombie character similar to the ridiculous "Buu" in Dragonball Z. We're a long way away from the maturer storylines of socio-political conflict that makes X-Men so great.

Now that I think about it, DBZ is a good comparison. X-Men 3 basically reverts to DBZ. Characters are killed off, but don't worry, they'll "come back." Powers are taken away, but don't worry, they'll "come back." Ugh!
2006-05-27, 7:10 PM #20
It's not really DBZ unless the entire two hour film documents the events of five consecutive minutes.

-Then it has earned the DBZ comparison.
2006-05-27, 7:42 PM #21
I'm with Archimedes on this one. There was too much pointless boring fluff in this film.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-27, 8:26 PM #22
Originally posted by Deadman:
I'm with Archimedes on this one. There was too much pointless boring fluff in this film.

Yep. I was very excited in the beginning to see the Sentinels, but then it turned out to be a ruse.

I agree with Archimedes on the Magneto critique. He's supposed to have this awesome plan that only involves killing another mutant.

Also, the X-gene cure was such a deus ex machina on the writer's part. They couldn't have made up a better main plotline?

And... Angel's storyline was completely pointless.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-05-27, 9:35 PM #23
Did any of the rest of you think of the flash cartoon Dark Phoenix Rising when you saw X3?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-05-27, 11:51 PM #24
I'm kind of with Archimedes et al. I walked out of the theater kind of like "meh." I think it ended up being quickly the Storm, Wolverine, and Magneto show. Jean Grey: "founding" member of X-Men gets reduced to a schizophrenic WRAA BURN zombie. Scott/Cyclops: Another "old school" member. Gets killed the first 10 minutes or so. Then there's the aforementioned love triangle that was absurdedly pointless. I shook my head watching that ice skating scene.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-28, 12:28 AM #25
The best part of the movie is Cyclops getting killed so early. What a terrible actor.
2006-05-28, 12:45 AM #26
Originally posted by tofu:
The best part of the movie is Cyclops getting killed so early. What a terrible actor.

Haha. Yes.
D E A T H
2006-05-28, 1:02 AM #27
Terrible actor and terrible portrayal of the character. Cyclops is supposed to be the mature leader, not a petulant child. I hated him for every second he was on-screen for all three movies and I wanted to cheer when he got atomized.

Unfortunately I know it isn't true and he'll be back.

I also can't help but think they did the Picard-dying thing just so they could switch to a cheaper actor for X-Men 4.

And finally, now that they've butchered the Phoenix saga I'm going to bet that X-Men 4 will be a horrible mutilation of Apocalypse. Especially since they gave Archangel so much unnecessary screentime in this movie.
2006-05-28, 1:05 AM #28
I think Archangel had a total of 2 lines. Why? God knows.
D E A T H
2006-05-28, 1:20 AM #29
1.) That wasn't Archangel

2.) I don't think they are planning a fourth movie. They're going to do a Wolverine movie though.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-28, 1:24 AM #30
Originally posted by Avenger:

2.) I don't think they are planning a fourth movie. They're going to do a Wolverine movie though.

Oh, really? Hrm.

And I thought they didn't know about a third movie. What's his face didn't want to do 3, much less 4, but the new director might. Or something.

Yeah. Dunno.
D E A T H
2006-05-28, 1:26 AM #31
I thought he begrudgingly gave it up because he wanted/had to do Superman Returns?

-Bah, I don't follow comics like I should.
2006-05-28, 1:31 AM #32
Brain Singer directed the first two and was onboard for the third. He took over the new superman movie and shelved the X3 project to work on after Superman. The studio wanted X3 sooner, so they dropped Singer.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-28, 1:36 AM #33
Brain Singer directed the first two and was onboard for the third. He took over the new superman movie and shelved the X3 project to work on after Superman. The studio wanted X3 sooner, so they dropped Singer.

Ah, my bad.

All in all, dropping singer was a very bad choice, IMO.
D E A T H
2006-05-28, 1:37 AM #34
That was the same time they decided to compress it into a trilogy, right?

-Singer, if I remember correctly (probably don't) wanted to just take it slower, make it a series like... well, like Superman.
2006-05-28, 1:46 AM #35
...I thought he became Archangel after Apocalypse gives him metal wings.
2006-05-28, 2:15 AM #36
That could be. Actually, now that I think about it, I seem to remember Archangel being turn beack to Angel at some point.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-28, 5:38 PM #37
They had to kill off Stewert because he left Hollywood and moved back to England to do a TV series and other stuff back home.

But I agree with the above. It diffently looked like from I and II that they were taking a slow pace to the evolving over all story arc. It's a shame that they rushed to basically put and en to it in III.

I did hear about the Woverine movie they are planning and rumors are also circulating about a Magneto movie as well. The Magneto movie is suppose to involve his younger years, though.
"The solution is simple."
2006-05-28, 6:00 PM #38
That could be. Actually, now that I think about it, I seem to remember Archangel being turn beack to Angel at some point.

He does eventually grow his normal wings back, after apocolypse dies. But he does go angel -> (After apocolypse gives him metal wings), but I cant remember if he changes his name back to angel....

Edit: I forgot he changed his name after apocolypse saved him, and joined the four horsemen. So he goes angel (Loss of Wings)-> (Metal Wings) Death (Angel of Death, get it?) -> Goes Emo after he thinks he killed Iceman, becomes Archangel -> Sheds metal wings and regrows wings.

I agree though, his roll in the movie sucked.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-28, 6:21 PM #39
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Did any of the rest of you think of the flash cartoon Dark Phoenix Rising when you saw X3?

hah yes! (eventhough I am one of the few people in the world who enjoyed this movie alot, I actually did think about this)
2006-05-28, 6:28 PM #40
Originally posted by Archimedes:
Personally, I thought it was awful. Hands down the worst of the three. None of the three or four "mini-plots" connected with each other with anything more graceful than a train wreck. We have a teenage soap opera (Bobby, Kitty, Rogue) which goes absolutely nowhere. We have Magneto recruiting mutants from the local biker gang to kidnap a little kid. We have Jean coming back from the dead to kill off characters because she has a latent obsession for mindless destruction. And we have the Angel subplot, which was included only to show off a wide-angle wing-unfurling. None of these plots are interesting alone; nor are they interesting when they're smashed together with special effects and pointless cameos. And they have to be smashed together because none of them depend on any of the other to work. Magneto didn't really need Jean to kidnap a kid, Jean doesn't need anyone to rip stuff apart, and the Bobby and Angel subplots are ridiculously pointless.

And the two main subplots were awful on their own, too. What was Magneto (who apparently is now a lunatic rather than a misguided genius) doing since X2? Sitting around drinking coffee until he heard about this cure, got really pissed, and decided to take it down so he can go back to drinking coffee? Since when is the evil overlord's master-plan a simple reaction to something? What would have happened if Magneto stole and killed the cure-kid? The world would go back to the status-quo established between X2 and X3. That doesn't exactly make for epic suspense.

And the "Phoenix" was embarassingly bad. Jean turns into a super-powerful, child-like zombie character similar to the ridiculous "Buu" in Dragonball Z. We're a long way away from the maturer storylines of socio-political conflict that makes X-Men so great.

Now that I think about it, DBZ is a good comparison. X-Men 3 basically reverts to DBZ. Characters are killed off, but don't worry, they'll "come back." Powers are taken away, but don't worry, they'll "come back." Ugh!

The only thing I remotely agree with is the teen soap opera.

You ask what Magneto is doing between X2 and X3... Well he already planned to turn all the major world leaders, and also half of New York into mutants, which failed. He tried to kill every human on Earth through the other Cerebro machine. It failed. I suppose he's supposed to pull a scheme to kill all humans out of his *** every week? Besides, Mystique did infiltrate the FDA to find info on the "cure", so it would seem Magneto was onto that already. The mentioned at some point (I dont remember the exact words) that they still had plenty of research to do to produce more of the cure, because they couldn't replicate the boy's dna or something yet. So Magneto needed to strike at the enemy (humans) to halt their research to mass produce a cure.

You say he didn't need Jean to kidnap a kid. Well duh, but he obviously wants the most powerful mutant in the world on his side...
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."

↑ Up to the top!