Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So a few armed people decided to rob a Marine...
So a few armed people decided to rob a Marine...
2006-05-30, 9:14 PM #1
Surprise, surprise...he happened to have a knife in his backpack.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0530marine.html?COXnetJSessionIDbuild137=E82FuUukJALgqcne86o6dUdUgUqIIroLVGq9dpvr6KuyfbXEaz22!-707807312&UrAuth=%60N\NUO%60NTUbTTUWUXUWUZTZU^UWUbU]UZU]UaUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

Sorry about the link...due to the brackets, it won't link properly.

NOTE: After autopsy, the woman in this report was determined not to be pregnant.

Quote:
A pack of would-be robbers including, a pregnant 17-year-old, figured a Midtown waiter walking to his girlfriend's house Monday night would be an easy mark, according to police.

But, in Thomas Autry, 36, the bandits picked the wrong victim, said Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens. The former Marine, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife in a deadly melee that left the young woman dead and a man in his late teens seriously injured at a hospital.

Autry suffered minor injuries. The identity of the suspects, who Stephens said are believed to be linked to "a lot" of pedestrian robberies in Midtown and Virginia-Highland, was not released. The three surviving attackers face aggravated assault and robbery charges, police said.

Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."

Stephens said Autry had left his job at the Jocks & Jills restaurant in Midtown and was walking along Penn Avenue when a blue Cadillac pulled alongside and three men, one armed with a shotgun, and the woman jumped from the car.

"This group had robbed two men on Piedmont earlier Monday night, taking a video camera and a cellphone," Stephens said.

"Autry takes off running, and they chase him. During the chase, Autry's trying to get into his backpack to get a pocket knife, which slows him down," Stephens said.

During the chase, Autry repeatedly yelled "fire, fire," which Stephens said attracted nearby residents' attention.

Grabbing the knife from his backpack, Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. Stephens said. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired, Stephens said.

The suspects ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them. The young woman, "about two weeks pregnant," was pronounced dead at the hospital, Stephens said. The wounded suspect is in critical condition.

Marines FTW.
woot!
2006-05-30, 9:18 PM #2
What kind of idiot would attack someone while they were pregnant?
2006-05-30, 9:20 PM #3
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

Way to read the thread, bucko.
woot!
2006-05-30, 9:24 PM #4
Awesome, good for him. And I read it as the pregnant woman was part of the attacking group.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-30, 9:25 PM #5
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Awesome, good for him. And I read it as the pregnant woman was part of the attacking group.

GAH....She was not pregnant! But yes, she was part of the attacking group.

I'm going to edit the original thread now..
woot!
2006-05-30, 9:27 PM #6
I read that earlier today. Good stuff.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-30, 9:28 PM #7
And people think conceled carry is a bad thing...
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-30, 9:28 PM #8
People deserve whatever comes to them when the try to pull crap like that. I'm glad the marine got out okay.

[edit] How did so many people post so fast!
2006-05-30, 9:34 PM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

2 weeks. The only symptom anyone might have at that stage is morning sickness.

(just being Devil's Advocate)
D E A T H
2006-05-30, 9:47 PM #10
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]2 weeks. The only symptom anyone might have at that stage is morning sickness.

(just being Devil's Advocate)[/QUOTE]

Especially since she wasn't pregnant.. ;)
Even if she was, she probably wouldn't know at 2 weeks...and the victim would have had no way of knowing.
woot!
2006-05-30, 9:48 PM #11
Yeah, I live right near Atlanta so I heard this on local news.

I LOL'd...
2006-05-30, 9:49 PM #12
They're lucky he didn't carry a marine bayonet in his pack.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-05-30, 9:57 PM #13
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
They're lucky he didn't carry a marine bayonet in his pack.

Or a firearm..they'd probably all be down for the count.
woot!
2006-05-30, 10:12 PM #14
I always keep a knife strapped to the side.. now I just need to go get my CCW so I wont need a knife.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-05-30, 10:13 PM #15
Yeah, I carry a knife. I wouldn't have been able to defend myself though. It's for non-violent uses.

Some may consider that wasteful.
2006-05-30, 10:49 PM #16
Attachment: 12191/puffin56.jpg (84,227 bytes)
2006-05-30, 10:51 PM #17
:confused:
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-30, 10:53 PM #18
The biscuits represent the marine corp's deadly justice.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-30, 10:57 PM #19
Quote:
Grabbing the knife from his backpack, Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. Stephens said. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired, Stephens said.

What kind of noob lets a guy kick a shotgun out of his hands.. ? jesus...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-30, 11:02 PM #20
Originally posted by Tracer:
The biscuits represent the marine corp's deadly justice.

so the deadly justice rains down on all the happy children?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-30, 11:17 PM #21
Awesome.

Quote:
Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."

Wow, this is indeed an awesome case. I'll give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-30, 11:29 PM #22
Originally posted by Freelancer:
What kind of noob lets a guy kick a shotgun out of his hands.. ? jesus...

You do realize he was a marine? Marines get trained in CQC for that kind of stuff (albeit not necessarily shotguns). And I doubt the guy wanted to kill him because then you have a murder investigation which is a lot more in-depth than a mugging.
D E A T H
2006-05-30, 11:56 PM #23
I don't care if you're god-incarnate. If I have a gun and you don't, I'm not going to let that situation change before you're dead.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-31, 12:03 AM #24
I'm willing to bet the gun served more to scare victims than anything else. And since there was no report of the shotgun being fired and the other gun misfiring, these people were gun stupid.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-31, 12:16 AM #25
I don't care if you're god-incarnate. If I have a gun and you don't, I'm not going to let that situation change before you're dead.

So you'd rather be charged with murder?

Wether or not the guy with the shotgun realized it at the time, not shooting was probably the smartest thing he could do. They all ended up being caught anyway.
Moo.
2006-05-31, 12:17 AM #26
i like celtic music personally.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-31, 12:18 AM #27
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
So you'd rather be charged with murder?

Wether or not the guy with the shotgun realized it at the time, not shooting was probably the smartest thing he could do. They all ended up being caught anyway.

I'd rather be charged with murder than charged with robbery/assault while being in critical condition from a stab wound to the chest.
2006-05-31, 12:43 AM #28

Good for you.

Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm willing to bet the gun served more to scare victims than anything else. And since there was no report of the shotgun being fired and the other gun misfiring, these people were gun stupid.

Aye.

I'd rather be charged with murder than charged with robbery/assault while being in critical condition from a stab wound to the chest.

So you'd rather die for sure in 10 years (death penalty) or spend the rest of your life in prison than spend a few years in prison and a month or so in a hospital?

Man, Freelancer's intelligence continues to amaze me.
D E A T H
2006-05-31, 1:59 AM #29
Aye. I think it's likely those robbers didn't really expect the victim to fight back with any efficiency, and thus they lost the shotgun. If they had expected heavy resistance, I doubt the 17 years old girl would have been at the front line.

Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Wow, this is indeed an awesome case. I'll give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Yeah. From a Finnish point of view the conclusion is indeed awesome. Over here the ex-soldier would be sitting in prison for years. According to the established tradition (of the bonehead judges we have), it's better to let attackers kill you than defend yourself. And the fact the man was a former soldier and thus trained to kill would make it even worse: If you know what you are doing when defending yourself, you are totally screwed. The only people with a permit to defend themselves here are the police.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-31, 2:11 AM #30
Heh, I remember that case in Joensuu or somewhere east where the judge decided a rape wasn't a rape because "the 'victim' knew the 'rapist'". Amazing knowledge.
[/random information moment]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-31, 2:31 AM #31
If a pregneant women came at me with a bunch of guys with the intent of bodily harm for no ****ing reason at all other than to jack my ****, I'd ****ing stab her too.

****ing scummy *** ***** didn't need to be having a scummy *** ****ing child. Infact. I would have gone out of my way to go tottally sick *** on everyone there, hung them from the electric wires like christmas.
2006-05-31, 2:38 AM #32
Luckily he was in a position where he could defend himself. I'm glad that he doesn't have to prove his case, either. I can't wait for some leftist, anti-military ******* to come along and try to smear this guy's name--just because he was in the armed forces. It should prove to be quite entertaining.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-05-31, 5:55 AM #33
its a shame he didnt have a gun

[edit]surely if they had a shotgun they could have done something less fatal, like blown his kneecaps off?[/edit]
2006-05-31, 6:26 AM #34

If you kill the guy and take *anything* off his body, that makes you eligible for the death penalty pretty much anywhere.
2006-05-31, 6:30 AM #35
Originally posted by Rob:
If a pregneant women came at me with a bunch of guys with the intent of bodily harm for no ****ing reason at all other than to jack my ****, I'd ****ing stab her too.

****ing scummy *** ***** didn't need to be having a scummy *** ****ing child. Infact. I would have gone out of my way to go tottally sick *** on everyone there, hung them from the electric wires like christmas.

Right on, being pregnant is no excuse to be able to commit crimes with impunity from bodily harm. :mad:

(despite the little hostage down there. :D )
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-31, 6:48 AM #36
That post, Rob, was almost empty of words I didn't have to guess.
2006-05-31, 7:04 AM #37
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]its a shame he didnt have a gun

[edit]surely if they had a shotgun they could have done something less fatal, like blown his kneecaps off?[/edit][/QUOTE]

If their .38 misfired, I'm willing to bet that

1)he didn't have a shell in the chamber, so he could cock it like in the movies to intimidate
2)the magaizine AND chamber were empty
3)He was a redneck and loaded it backwards
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-31, 11:26 AM #38

The guy with the shotgun wasn't stabbed.
Moo.
2006-05-31, 11:40 AM #39
but generally, no matter what freelancer says, i'd consider this case a +1 to justice.

even though he killed one and critically injured the other, i believe that in a perfect world, he would get no charges against him whatsoever.

not that i'm saying we live in a perfect world, just that the result was awesome.
2006-05-31, 1:44 PM #40
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]but generally, no matter what freelancer says, i'd consider this case a +1 to justice.

even though he killed one and critically injured the other, i believe that in a perfect world, he would get no charges against him whatsoever.

not that i'm saying we live in a perfect world, just that the result was awesome.[/QUOTE]
He didn't get any charges against him...
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!