Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Buying whisky for a b'day present; need suggestions ($40-$60)
Buying whisky for a b'day present; need suggestions ($40-$60)
2006-06-01, 7:41 PM #1
So, a friend of mine is turning 21 this month. He likes whisky, and he's been quite an exemplary good friend. I'd like to express my gratitude for his good friendship with a nice bottle of whisky.

However, I can't stand the stuff, and, thus, have no idea what's good and what's not. So, I'm looking for good whisky, in the range of $40 - $60 ($65 w/ shipping if it's mail-ordered).

Alcoholics of Massassi, aid me!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-01, 8:00 PM #2
Chivas and Jameson. No idea how much they cost in the States.
2006-06-01, 8:02 PM #3
I AM NOT...*hic* I AM NOT...*hic* I AIN'T NO ALCHIE

*passes out*
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-01, 8:03 PM #4
Are Chivas and Jameson one brand, or separate brands?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-01, 8:03 PM #5
Separate brands.
2006-06-01, 8:05 PM #6
Jack Daniels.

This is the only answer this thread needs. This is the only Whiskey anyone should ever drink.
2006-06-01, 8:19 PM #7
There's better whiskey than JD out there, like Gentlemen's Jack :p

I'd say just go down to a BevMo and see what they have in the whiskey section. And whatever you end up getting, it should be aged (in the barrels) at least 12 years.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-01, 9:29 PM #8
JD is cheap and nasty.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-01, 9:30 PM #9
15-year Glenfiddich.
2006-06-01, 10:19 PM #10
Johnnie Walker Gold Label

It's about 10 dollars above your limit, but it's reaaal nice. If the upper limit was really as high as you can go, you can always get:

Johnnie Walker Black Label

You can get a 1.75L handle for about $65 I think.
2006-06-01, 10:29 PM #11
Just so you know, Johnny Walker is a blended scotch whiskey which is generally considered to be lower on the ladder of whiskeys.

Single Malts like Glenfiddich really let you taste the scotch, right down to the woody aftertaste from the cask. I've found that Johnny Walker has a more muddled taste, and generally quite harsh.

My first bottle of whiskey was a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label. I've also tried Red Label, which is only useful as a solvent. I haven't tried gold label (since I'm absolutely not willing to part with the money for another bottle of blended scotch).
2006-06-01, 10:47 PM #12
My friend tends to lean toward Irish whisky; any of these suggestions along that vein?
2006-06-01, 11:27 PM #13
Jack Daniels Single Barrel. It owns.
>>untie shoes
2006-06-02, 2:24 AM #14
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Just so you know, Johnny Walker is a blended scotch whiskey which is generally considered to be lower on the ladder of whiskeys.

Single Malts like Glenfiddich really let you taste the scotch, right down to the woody aftertaste from the cask. I've found that Johnny Walker has a more muddled taste, and generally quite harsh.

My first bottle of whiskey was a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label. I've also tried Red Label, which is only useful as a solvent. I haven't tried gold label (since I'm absolutely not willing to part with the money for another bottle of blended scotch).

Hmm... blended, eh? didn't know that, as im kinda oblivious to what good whiskey is.

I never really liked whiskey to be honest. I'd say it's almost masochistic to be drinking it, and the nauseating flavor of it is on par with tequila... i think people just like it because whiskey's glamorized in movies and stuff, kids want to look tough these days, cause it sure as hell is a hard taste to acquire.

rum ftw
2006-06-02, 2:37 AM #15
My friend at university was into whisky. The only thing I can really remember is that if it's Irish, it's actually spelt 'whiskey'.

But yeah, if you want to go for good whisk(e)y, you should go for aged single malt. Beyond that... *shrug*
2006-06-02, 4:38 AM #16
...beyond that, you should look at rums and vodkas too. Perhaps a nice bottle of grey goose with a side of captain morgans.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-06-02, 6:18 AM #17
Irish - Tullamore Dew
Bushmills Black Label.

i dont really know much about irish whiskey. i'm into scotch myself.

glenfiddich is okay. lately i've been drinking Balvenie. mmm tasty single malts.

your friend, is he one of those types that drinks to get drunk, or one of those types that drinks cause he likes the taste?

If the former, get him a cheap blended malt.
If the latter, a decent single malt.

giving a single malt to someone who just wants to get drunk is a waste.

also, jack daniels isnt whiskey, its burbon. stupid americans putting CORN in thier whiskey. who told them that was okay?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-06-02, 9:00 AM #18
If I get him a nice whisky, he'll save that for when he wants to drink to drink, and use cheaper stuff to get drunk. :)

As for rum and vodka...his poison of choice is whisky. Besides, I was going to get his girlfriend a nice bottle of Ciroc.

Mmm. Ciroc.
2006-06-02, 9:02 AM #19
Originally posted by Ford:
also, jack daniels isnt whiskey, its burbon. stupid americans putting CORN in thier whiskey. who told them that was okay?

:psyduck: PsyGris says: Mr. Jacob Daniels of Lynchburg, TN. And when Jack talks, you listen.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-02, 9:36 AM #20
Originally posted by Ford:
jack daniels isnt whiskey, its burbon. stupid americans putting CORN in thier whiskey. who told them that was okay?

Oh, it's Whiskey. Bourbon and scotch are all whiskey.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 11:27 AM #21
Jack D is not bourbon. Bourbon must be created in Kentucky. Jack D is not made in Kentucky. It is not bourbon.
>>untie shoes
2006-06-02, 11:57 AM #22
Yes, JD is a Tennessee sour-mash whiskey. The major differences are that JD is charcoal-filtered and Bourbon tastes horrible.

Captain Morgan is a low-end rum. I would suggest Mount Gay Rum. It's popular, easy to find, and it retains the slight aftertaste of cane sugar.

You could always try giving him something exotic, like a bottle of real absinthe.
2006-06-02, 12:05 PM #23
Why is Absinthe illegal in the States anyway?
2006-06-02, 12:15 PM #24
Originally posted by Giraffe:
My friend at university was into whisky. The only thing I can really remember is that if it's Irish, it's actually spelt 'whiskey'.

You are correct. If it's Scottish it's spelled Whisky.

If it's from anywhere else it has a place name infront of it.

I recommend Glengoyne.

Originally posted by JediGandalf:

Its a hallucinogen.
nope.
2006-06-02, 12:20 PM #25

It has wormwood in it.

I would vote for Jameson's. It's my favorite Irish Whiskey and comes in several different labels, each with its own price, but all of them fall into your range.

Tullamore Dew is okay, and Bushmill's isn't real Irish Whiskey seeing as it's from the North.

Although, personally, I second the Absinthe suggestion. You CAN get Absinthe sans wormwood in the States, but it's really just Anis.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-02, 12:24 PM #26

:psyduck: PsyGris chimes in with: In the 1920's, the U.S. Government declared that studies showed Absynthe to cause permanent brain damage. Hence, it was banned and did not survive the end of Prohibition. There are many Absynthe-like products still available, however, such as Pernod which I'd suggest if you're looking for a legal alternative.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-02, 12:26 PM #27
I don't remember the exact letter of the law, but I believe it is illegal to purchase or sell absinthe in the United States. I'm not sure if possession and/or shipping is illegal. Which is how I believe some of the shady "Real Czech Absinthe" sellers online get away with it.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-02, 1:50 PM #28
Please stop overusing psyduck.

In the United States it's legal to possess and imbibe absinthe, but it's illegal to import it. Fortunately it's legal in Canada because Canada is awesome.

Absinthe doesn't actually have enough thujone to have an impact on human physiology, whether you're talking about brain damage or you're talking about hallucinogenic effects. You'd get higher from chewing on a hemp rope.
2006-06-02, 2:36 PM #29
Yeah, with the amount that's actually in the Absinthe, you'd die from alcohol poisioning before flipping out.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 3:27 PM #30
Southern Comfort
D E A T H
2006-06-02, 3:50 PM #31
Some clarifications:

1. If American or Irish, it's whiskey.
2. If Scottish, Welsh, Canadian, or Japanese, it's whisky with no e.
3. Jack Daniels is absolutely not bourbon, it's Tennessee whiskey.
4. Southern Comfort isn't really whiskey by strict definition. It's a peach and bourbon liqueur. If your friend's a real whisk(e)y drinker, I'm sure he'd rather have pure whisk(e)y.

Now, question: Are you looking to buy a $40-$60 handle, or a $40-$60 fifth?

Quote:
i think people just like it because whiskey's glamorized in movies and stuff, kids want to look tough these days, cause it sure as hell is a hard taste to acquire.

It's not really an acquired taste. I think that 99% of people immediately like it, or immediately don't, and there's not much middle ground. I've never met a single person who thought whiskey was "alright, but not great," and I've never heard of anyone not liking it at first but getting used to it.

Also, it depends on the whiskey, as there's a lot of variation. I love bourbon, but I've never tried a scotch I enjoyed.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-02, 3:51 PM #32
Or you can buy him like 4 handles of Seagram's 7, haha.
2006-06-02, 3:54 PM #33
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]

It's not really an acquired taste. I think that 99% of people immediately like it, or immediately don't, and there's not much middle ground. I've never met a single person who thought whiskey was "alright, but not great," and I've never heard of anyone not liking it at first but getting used to it.
[/QUOTE]

I got used to it and ended up liking it after being made sick by it many many times.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-02, 3:56 PM #34
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Now, question: Are you looking to buy a $40-$60 handle, or a $40-$60 fifth?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there will be a huge difference in quality there. If you want to get something a little higher qulaity, go with a fifth.

[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]It's not really an acquired taste. I think that 99% of people immediately like it, or immediately don't, and there's not much middle ground. I've never met a single person who thought whiskey was "alright, but not great," and I've never heard of anyone not liking it at first but getting used to it.

Also, it depends on the whiskey, as there's a lot of variation. I love bourbon, but I've never tried a scotch I enjoyed.[/QUOTE]

Also true. A good whiskey is meant to be sipped, is very smooth, and has a very nice flavor to it.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 5:52 PM #35
I can't drink whiskey anymore. After the past year, I've found that it makes for a rather hostile drunk Aaron. I was told I started yelling at people, and punching vehicles. VERY different from my usual drunk persona
2006-06-02, 6:57 PM #36
Originally posted by Schming:
I got used to it and ended up liking it after being made sick by it many many times.

Really? Maybe it's just that very few people who don't like it will try it again after the first time.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-02, 6:59 PM #37
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Really? Maybe it's just that very few people who don't like it will try it again after the first time.[/QUOTE]
It's called being poor and despising vodka.

When you don't have much money, you have three choices to get drunk. One: Forties, Two: Vodka, and Three: Whiskey.
D E A T H
2006-06-02, 7:22 PM #38
Strange, I've never tasted any liquor that I did not like. Some how its just the kick that I care for.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-06-02, 7:23 PM #39
Congratualtions, you're an alcoholic.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 8:15 PM #40
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Strange, I've never tasted any liquor that I did not like. Some how its just the kick that I care for.

There's no one I know that doesn't think some liquor doesn't taste disgusting. And I do know alcoholics. It's painfully obvious either 1) You don't drink...or at least not much. or 2) You're lying.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!