Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Buying whisky for a b'day present; need suggestions ($40-$60)
Buying whisky for a b'day present; need suggestions ($40-$60)
2006-06-03, 12:49 AM #41
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Strange, I've never tasted any liquor that I did not like. Some how its just the kick that I care for.
He's not lying. "I've never tasted any liquor that I did not like" is the absolute truth. Because he's never had any, ever.
2006-06-03, 9:41 AM #42
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Now, question: Are you looking to buy a $40-$60 handle, or a $40-$60 fifth?[/QUOTE]

A fifth. A handle would be lower-quality, I'd imagine.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-03, 10:03 AM #43
Originally posted by Wolfy:

You can get a handle of SoCo for 35, 45 for the 100 proof version. Very good stuff, though not classy whiskey, it's tasty for sure. ;)
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 10:06 AM #44

It would.

If he likes Irish whiskey, one of the pricier varieties of Jameson is a good choice.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-03, 12:17 PM #45
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You can get a handle of SoCo for 35, 45 for the 100 proof version. Very good stuff, though not classy whiskey, it's tasty for sure. ;)[/QUOTE]

SoCo is something awful by itself. Mix it with something and it's not bad, but I would never spend money on it. (Got VIP tix + free drink passes to a concert sponsored by SoCo recently.)
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-03, 12:20 PM #46
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You can get a handle of SoCo for 35, 45 for the 100 proof version. Very good stuff, though not classy whiskey, it's tasty for sure. ;)[/QUOTE]

He wants a quality bottle. He's not going to get SoCo.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-03, 12:23 PM #47
Originally posted by Schming:
SoCo is something awful by itself. Mix it with something and it's not bad, but I would never spend money on it. (Got VIP tix + free drink passes to a concert sponsored by SoCo recently.)

Are you serious? Dude, I could drink it like it was candy. That **** is easy to take straight, and tastes...good as hell.

Originally posted by Avenger:
He wants a quality bottle. He's not going to get SoCo.

I kinda figured, I was just being a kind of SoCo fanboy...

If you can't tell I really like it ;)
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 12:28 PM #48
Don't worry, you'll grow out of the cheap booze as you get oldr. :P
Pissed Off?
2006-06-03, 12:29 PM #49
Originally posted by Avenger:
Don't worry, you'll grow out of the cheap booze as you get oldr. :P

Nah, I've had some expensive liquor, it's nice. It's not about growing out of it, it's about my pocket sizes growing out of it :p
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 12:53 PM #50
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Are you serious? Dude, I could drink it like it was candy. That **** is easy to take straight, and tastes...good as hell.[/QUOTE]

It's not the alcohol content; it's the taste of it. It was...bleh.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-03, 12:55 PM #51
It's not the alcohol content; it's the taste of it. It was...bleh.

The only way I could see anyone not liking it is if they don't like caramel. Or sugar.
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 1:03 PM #52
SoCo is a whiskey or a bourbon?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-03, 1:07 PM #53
I guess the best way to describe it is a sweet whiskey.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-03, 1:08 PM #54
Very sweet whiskey. You really can't even taste the normal whiskey taste, all you get is the burn and a slight hint of alcohol.
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 1:11 PM #55
That's why it's really good for mixing.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-03, 1:20 PM #56
Someone mentioned my favorite drink!

http://www.feeverte.net/faq.html

SO LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

And if you were interested in REAL absinthe, I advise you to avoid anything from the Czech Republic and Canada. It'll taste like weed killer, and neither contain the correct ingredients.

As far as REAL absinthe, the closest thing you can get in a modern production model are those stilled by Ted Breaux. He posts on feeverte, how often I do not recall. But he owns a still in france.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/absinthe.html

^Interesting article about absinthe and Ted Breaux, and why he rocks my socks in general.

As far as buying absinthe, you're on your own.

I'll just say I have a bottle of Edouard 72, and it's awesome.

You could try googling Ted Breaux though..
<.<
>.>
2006-06-03, 3:41 PM #57
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
SoCo is a whiskey or a bourbon?

Well, all bourbon is whiskey, but SoCo's not properly either one. The standard SoCo isn't even bourbon-based, it's just flavored like whiskey.

In any case, it's definitely tasty.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!