Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Trek vs. Star Wars
Star Trek vs. Star Wars
2006-06-12, 3:37 PM #41
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
10. In the Star Wars universe, weapons rarely, if ever, are set on
"stun."

Just the once.

-And, you know, that was important.
2006-06-12, 8:20 PM #42
Originally posted by Freelancer:
That's... nice. This alien could destroy the whole Star Trek universe as well, which would be real neat and render this discussion meaningless.

Yes, but the discussion is, in a firefight, who could win. Not "who could wipe themselves out", because both universes are quite capable of that.

(Also, couldn't the Borg simply go back in time, assimilate the very first vestiges of races, consequently destroying any presence of the Old Republic, Rebellion, and Empire?)

[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Darth Vader killed nearly every Jedi that existed. :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Vader had to find them first. This alien doesn't. :P

Originally posted by tinny:
Umm... the q?

I think that it's general consensus that, since the Q are extraplanar beings, they aren't considered to be part of the equation since they are, for all intents and purposes, gods.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-12, 8:33 PM #43
Star Wins because they have better fashion designers.
幻術
2006-06-12, 10:25 PM #44
Originally posted by Wolfy:
(Also, couldn't the Borg simply go back in time, assimilate the very first vestiges of races, consequently destroying any presence of the Old Republic, Rebellion, and Empire?)

The Borg already proved how incompetent they are at that when they tried it against the Federation.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-12, 10:27 PM #45
Quote:

Wouldn't they have already done that in they're own respective universe...?

More importantly, if the Borg are so powerful, why does this Federation which is so vastly inferior in tech to SW continue to exist...?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-06-13, 8:39 AM #46
They tried in the movie Star Trek: First Contact.

And the reason the Federation still exists is that heroes aren't very heroic if they fail. The fundamental quality of a hero is the ability to do incredible things that normal people can't.

Freelancer: that was one ship. Assuming that Picard was not there to stop him, and that multiple Cubes went back, the chances are quite high that the Borg would be successful.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-13, 8:49 AM #47
Freelancer: that was one ship. Assuming that Picard was not there to stop him, and that multiple Cubes went back, the chances are quite high that the Borg would be successful.

But.. they didn't send multiple cubes and thus they proved how incompetent they are.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-13, 9:03 AM #48
Uh, actually, they were successful with just one Cube. Until the Enterprise entered the time hole, they registrered a complete conversion of Earth to a Borg planet. The only reason the Enterprise was protected was because they were in the time vortex.

Thus, they would be successful. No one in Star Wars has technology developed that allows them to move through time; thus, they have no way of defending against such an attack.
2006-06-13, 9:03 AM #49
fact: the longer ST v SW arguments go on for, the worse it makes both of them.
2006-06-13, 5:52 PM #50
One time flukes and/or wonders do not count as realiable developed tech. If it did, they probably would have tried to do it again.

By this logic, the Imperial superweapons count as reliable tech. They worked even when incomplete.

More importantly, nobody even knows how far they would actually have to go back... I don't think those Pre-Republic Empires would be very nice to them.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-06-13, 7:52 PM #51
The reason they didn't try it is that, in Final Contact, they killed the Borg queen, thus killing ALL the Borg (one could theorize that, when the Borg queen went back in time, all the Borg in the time she had left behind were killed; but that's speculation for another time). Had it not been the queen that had gone back in time and was killed by Data, the Borg would have undoubtedly tried again.
2006-06-13, 8:13 PM #52
The reason they didn't try it is that, in Final Contact, they killed the Borg queen, thus killing ALL the Borg (one could theorize that, when the Borg queen went back in time, all the Borg in the time she had left behind were killed; but that's speculation for another time). Had it not been the queen that had gone back in time and was killed by Data, the Borg would have undoubtedly tried again.

These discussions are so silly, but I wanted to point out that in some way or another they recreate the queen. First Contact is far from the end of the Borg. See Voyager, where she reappears and is eventually killed again, this time being blown up along with the Borg Unicomplex, which more or less obliterates or at least severely cripples the Borg.
2006-06-13, 8:15 PM #53
They tried in the movie Star Trek: First Contact.

And the reason the Federation still exists is that heroes aren't very heroic if they fail. The fundamental quality of a hero is the ability to do incredible things that normal people can't.

Yes they did try it.. But the didn't go back to the BEGGINING as in cave men with rocks.

Plus.. Who says that the borg can survive?
2006-06-13, 8:17 PM #54
Survive a trip back through time? Well, Star Trek: First Contact.
2006-06-13, 8:20 PM #55
Please stop wrecking Star Trek for me. Star Trek does a good enough job of that on its own.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!