Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JO is t3h dead?!?!
JO is t3h dead?!?!
2004-06-21, 4:20 PM #1
I just reinstalled JO today, and the servers are all almost empty. What the hell?! Everyone dishes out $50 for JO, and just beause it isn't as good as JK Raven makes more trash: JA. Everyone dishes out another $50 for this JO mod...and now JO is dieing. Before you all yell at me, I've played JO and JA, JA impresses me the same amout as JO. It has a few better features, it's a nice mod at most. JO wasn't a bad game by itself. Maybe it was a bad sequal, but as a game it was fun. Multiplayer was good too.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-21, 4:23 PM #2
"I like the part where you think that these forums are your personal blog." -[i forgot who]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-06-21, 4:33 PM #3
I am a die hard Dark Forces fan, and I can safley say I was not at all compelled to buy JA, even after the demo.

For starters, they butchered the conc... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Please send me e-mail...

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited June 21, 2004).]
2004-06-21, 4:35 PM #4
Difference is... JO multiplayer kinda sucked compared to JK and stuff... never bothered to get JA.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-21, 4:40 PM #5
Games are not wine. When games age, less people play them.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-21, 4:41 PM #6
Wheres Kedri with his bucket? Although, quite frankly, Im glad to see JO die, where I was holding onto JK like a drowning sailor onto a peice of oak. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
...For starters, they butchered the conc... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

Aye. The DF conc was a peice of art. All the reporductions are pure crap. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-21, 4:51 PM #7
Quote:
I am a die hard Dark Forces fan, and I can safley say I was not at all compelled to buy JA, even after the demo.

For starters, they butchered the conc... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

I agree with you up until the part about the conc. I thought it was VASTLY improved. You have a total of about 8 shots with all ammo. I like that, it kills the issue of a spamable weapon, however, I think it's vastly overpowered.

I never bought the game, but I think eventually I'll look for it on a clearence rack so I can play the (hopefully good) SP levels that are being made and the (again, hopefully good) mods being made. If not, no major loss, it'll only have been 10 bucks or so.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-21, 5:08 PM #8
i'm sorry, but JO was one of the worst games i've played. Pointless puzzles, poor level design (it made the boxy JK levels look GOOD),a poorly-crafted storyline, and the multiplayer was like wading through a pool of glue (it was rediculously slow). The only redeeming quality this game had good assets (textures, models, ect)

JA was deffinately a step in the right direction, but Duel is the only worthwhile game-mode (the guns seemed a bit like they were just thrown in).

Bearing that in mind, i can't play either game online, as my comp doesn't have the power.... and someone stole my copy of JO 2 years ago. For innovative gameplay though, i'd have to go with JK on this one.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-06-21, 5:13 PM #9
Well, in Dark Forces, the conc was a sleek rifle looking thing that killed people by shooting blue flame type stuff up from their feet. But in JK, and even more so in JA, it was more of a "block".

I don't care about the new functions, because it is still ugly as hell. You take the Quake III engine, and make it look worse than it did in Dark Forces. Come on.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited June 21, 2004).]
2004-06-21, 5:46 PM #10
I enjoyed both JO and JA. JO has better single player but JA had better saber fights(despite the inbalance of single saber vs two/staff. same thing KotOR suffers from.)

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-21, 6:03 PM #11
I played the demo again yesterday with the melee cheat. THAT was fun. I had a cultist and a dark jedi on a bridge at one point. The cultist started shooting at me and the dark jedi ran up behind him with sabers out. I beat the crap out of the cultist and then I just started at the dark jedi for literally a minute and a half. I was like he was afraid to touch me. Then he charged me, I beat up him up, and pushed him off the bridge. FUN.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-21, 6:07 PM #12
I didn't realise JO ever really approached anything close to 'alive'. If it ever did I must have blinked and missed it.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-06-21, 6:09 PM #13
And so history repeats itself.

------------------
Life of Grismath
and
Rites of Xanthus
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-06-21, 6:50 PM #14
Well, ever since I got JA, I couldn't care less about JO anymore. JA is simply more fun to play because of modes like power duel and siege. Even thought siege is kinda buggy (some of the puzzles can get "lamed", breaking the level and forcing the attackers to lose) and some of the levels aren't as solid as JO's, the saber combat more than makes up for those short comings.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-21, 7:14 PM #15
JO has the best story and I think it's the most immersive. It will never die for me. I'm like a drowning sailor holding onto a piece of oak in the middle of a hurricane. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-21, 8:07 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
JK has the best story and I think it's the most immersive. It will never die for me. I'm like a drowning sailor holding onto a piece of oak in the middle of a hurricane. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

Fixed

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-21, 9:03 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forsakahn:
i'm sorry, but JO was one of the worst games i've played. Pointless puzzles, poor level design (it made the boxy JK levels look GOOD),a poorly-crafted storyline, and the multiplayer was like wading through a pool of glue (it was rediculously slow). The only redeeming quality this game had good assets (textures, models, ect)</font>

I'd like to add - a boring saber system, horrible animations, awful voice acting, and the worst thing about this game; they took John William's music and butchered it in the most annoying fasion. It chops and cuts without any transitions whatsoever, repeats the same bits over and over and over again in the most annoying way, and takes only the most overused parts of the original triology soundtrack, ignoring the rest, and ignoring the fact that the episode 1 soundtrack was already out at the time. I'm sorry to all you hardcore JK fans who refuse to accept the truth and keep telling yourselves that Jedi Outcast is a decent game, but it simply isn't.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-21, 9:23 PM #18
Good. Let it die. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-06-22, 1:32 AM #19
it had awesome multiplayer.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-06-22, 1:36 AM #20
I don't give a damn if JO is dead or not, it never interested me as much as JK. Same with JA, nice game to play, but still... nothing compared to JK. I've never been interested in any multiplayer at all, so I couldn't give a damn about that either. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-22, 1:41 AM #21
They can all be used as instruments of time-killing as far as i'm concerned, I can play any of them.

Bleh, you people are far too fussy.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-22, 3:58 AM #22
I just beat JA last night and I must say that it was a huge improvement over JO. It may not be as true as JO, or whatever the nitpick of the week is, but I'm not elitist and it was a blast to play. I could spend hours just pulling and pushing people off of cliffs. I've enjoyed the entire Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series. Maybe I'm just easily amused. I know one thing though, most any game is fun when you have good friends to play them with.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-06-22, 4:20 AM #23
I never realised there's so much hate toward JO and JA among the older forum-goers here. It's kind of sad. To like JK doesn't mean you have to dislike the new games. They are quite different after all.

What comes to JO, it may very well be dying, because JA replaced it. Like SAJN_Master said, JA is but a little better version of JO, so it's only natural it replaced the older, less developed JO.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-06-22, 4:47 AM #24
Arrgh. Another thread about [insert name] doesn't like JO/JA with [his/her] easily predictable and overused reasons to seem like [he/she] has excellent and unique taste in gaming and wants to show us [his/her] ideas, which were already mentioned in numerous threads awhile back. I thank [insert same name] for the refreshing reminder of the same obvious and annoying reasons why people don't like JO/JA (again).

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited June 22, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-22, 6:00 AM #25
JO was definitely alive for ages. It depends what servers you go to. Now obviously its not so active, especially since JA replaced it (JA itself is becoming more inactive imo).

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-06-22, 7:31 AM #26
Two words: Fan bois.
Four more: Stuck in the past.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-22, 7:34 AM #27
There is no reason to play JO if you have JA. It's like playing UT2k3 when you have UT2k4.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-22, 8:37 AM #28
Long live JK.

I and my friend who also has JO didn't stay hooked on it for very long (my period was definitely shorter). Now in previous discussions, I may have sounded like I hated the game; that's not the idea I was trying to pass. I was trying to pass that it simply does not compare with JK and DF. I played a fraction of the first level and played MP bot battles in Bespin Streets, Nat Shaddaa, the Death Star, and the Massassi Temple; yup, that's as far as I went before I ended my visit to JO and resumed JK.

And I like JK's saber battles better -- so simple and easy to understand. JO's to me is like "Huh? We have strong weak and medium mode and each direction + action makes another new attack? Wtf? I'm so confused..." SBX is THE BEST sabering system in my opinion, and it's for JK [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif].

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, JO is dead.

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-22, 9:01 AM #29
I won't shed any tears for the death of a game that took the life of a game I loved.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-22, 9:26 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I'd like to add - a boring saber system, horrible animations, awful voice acting, and the worst thing about this game; they took John William's music and butchered it in the most annoying fasion. It chops and cuts without any transitions whatsoever, repeats the same bits over and over and over again in the most annoying way, and takes only the most overused parts of the original triology soundtrack, ignoring the rest, and ignoring the fact that the episode 1 soundtrack was already out at the time. I'm sorry to all you hardcore JK fans who refuse to accept the truth and keep telling yourselves that Jedi Outcast is a decent game, but it simply isn't.</font>

Wait, wait - I can see the saber system as being boring, it's just like JK's and not innovative. Horrible animations? Erm, not really...The game was hailed for having incredibly detailed and very smooth animations. Some animations became choppy in multiplayer, but that was a multiplayer engine issue, not an animation issue.

As for music, it's worth noting they didn't use the greatest parts of the soundtrack perhaps. But let me ask, why would they use Episode I music? It's not only kind of, bad compared to the original trilogy, but doesn't fit the era the game takes place it. I can't begin to imagine how lame it would be to go from the Imperial March to Duel of the Fates. And wait, no transistions? Erm, the dynamic music system is just like in any other game. One track fades out as another fades in. It's prerecorded music, they can't just magically start making up bars causing the music to perfectly mix together...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 9:42 AM #31
Please, stop telling use that we are fanboys. JO / JA suck, regardless of how good DF / DF2 were. Besides, the series should never have left the title "Dark Forces". As soon as JO came out, the guns were overpowered, and the game seemed to scream, "I'm a licensed Star Wars product, buy me!!"*

*I think somebody else here first said something similar to this.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-22, 10:15 AM #32
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think if you're going to dislike a game you should probably do it for real reasons, not immature nitpicking because it's fun to downgrade it even more. You see people talk about stupid little bugs and problems in JO, but nothing about the same kind of problems in JK.

Also, why's it a big deal for JA to be just a "modded JO"? The gameplay's a lot better in my opinion, much more polished and complete, something JO really lacked. Level design is much better; perhaps lacking really nice puzzles, but didn't have lame, unrealistic ones. Proper design led to some really nice looking locals too, although some still lacked (Coruscant agh!!) I can understand not wanting to pay a full price for it, but does that make the game itself any worse? Calling it just a mod seems like a pretty poor reason not to like it. Especially considering the weatlh of new engine features that would be completely impossible in a mod.

Edit: Just read the above post. Okay, just a question; does it really matter if it's not called Dark Forces? How does that affect the quality of the game? And just personally, I think the guns themselves are mostly lame and just suck, but not overpowered. I mean at least in JO and JA you can get kills with the lightsaber in a guns game, that was near impossible in a JK game.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 12:51 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As soon as JO came out, the guns were overpowered, and the game seemed to scream, "I'm a licensed Star Wars product, buy me!!"*</font>

...personally the only gun that I didn't find horribly inferior to the lightsaber was the sniper rifle thingie. I loathed the rest.

Anyway I didn't hate JO, there was a lot to like. It was set back by some utterly horribly designed puzzles/areas and the complete and utter lack of NPCs, but still enjoyable to a certain level.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-06-22, 1:40 PM #34
I can honestly say that I enjoyed JO the first time I played it through. Yes, I noticed that it lacked a bit, but I didn't really pay attention to them as I was having fun with the new saber. The new saber system was spiffy. It took a little while to master, but once you did boy was saber battles fun.

The second time around I noticed the flaws moreso. Such as the wimpy guns that couldn't hit jack (I've got my crosshairs square on him, why the heck isn't he getting hit?). The voice acting also seemed a bit odd as well, not awful, but a little forced.

The game was fun the first one or two times around, but yea, it does get old. That doesn't mean it was absolutly horrible. The game ain't fun if you sit there and look for the flaws.
2004-06-22, 1:42 PM #35
[JO-Related]

Personally I found the saber horribly inferior to every weapon except the DEMP. But the DEMP is only in a levels so it can be ignored.

In multiplayer at least, a gunner who limits himself to any single gun (other than DEMP, i'm ignoring mines and thermals too) should always at least draw with a saberist. I kid you not, the lightsaber was a glowstick.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-06-22, 2:06 PM #36
JK was never all that popular anyway I think. There were never more than ~600(Nar and Canyon full and Dark Palace partially full) people playing it online at any one point in time.

That and I find you'll hardly ever meet anyone online(obviously outside of massassi/TACC) who played JK multiplayer, and most people barely know what JK was. "That old star wars game with a lightsaber".
2004-06-22, 3:35 PM #37
Quote:
Please, stop telling use that we are fanboys. JO / JA suck, regardless of how good DF / DF2 were. Besides, the series should never have left the title "Dark Forces". As soon as JO came out, the guns were overpowered, and the game seemed to scream, "I'm a licensed Star Wars product, buy me!!"*

*I think somebody else here first said something similar to this.

</font>

Fanboy.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-06-22, 3:39 PM #38
JK conc was the best...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo

[This message has been edited by Trigger Happy Chewie (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 3:45 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
JK was never all that popular anyway I think. There were never more than ~600(Nar and Canyon full and Dark Palace partially full) people playing it online at any one point in time.

That and I find you'll hardly ever meet anyone online(obviously outside of massassi/TACC) who played JK multiplayer, and most people barely know what JK was. "That old star wars game with a lightsaber".
</font>

I think, though I'm not sure, that there was more than one Nar, Oasis, etc. Think for a second, how often did someone walk in that spoke spanish? Or any language other than english? The game was marketed to those countries, was it not? So, wouldn't those countries have their own servers? Sure, only about 600 in, lets call it the "English Nar". But if you factor in a possible "Spanish Nar" which could also have about 600 people in it, and then there could be others still. the numbers add up fast.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 3:48 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
"I like the part where you think that these forums are your personal blog." -[i forgot who]

</font>

Nice signature Cazor.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!