Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gaming systems
Gaming systems
2003-12-23, 5:21 AM #41
Here's my opinion on all 3 consoles:

Gamecube: Hmmm.... it has some really good games. Such as Super Smash Bros. Melee and Metroid Prime... although Metroid Prime annoyed me to no end with the constant back tracking, in the end, I loved it. Don't know how that works out, but meh. SSBM also annoyed me sometimes but I also loved it. Other games such as Pikmin could have been great, but I loathe time limits. I like to explore, especially in games like these. Other games such as Super Monkey Ball are laughable... and I really haven't cared for any Mario games since the original. The original rules all! So, we are left with the graphic quality. It seems that too many GC games have high quality models with very low quality textures (single color cartoonish textures in probably at least half of it's games...) while Metroid Prime and other such games almost bring it's graphic quality up to the Xbox. I would rate this console to have the lowest worth/life time of the 3 consoles. Rent it and a few games, once you beat them give it back.

Playstation 2: Doesn't have too many games that interest me, but what I do like on it, is more than enough reason to own it because of how freakin awesome the few good games on it are. Devil May Cry, Legend of Legaia: Duel Saga, and Twisted Metal Black are a few really freaking awesome games on the PS2. Don't get me started on the FF series, I never liked it. Now, the graphic quality of the PS2 games are the lowest of all 3 consoles... although it does seem to have some special effects that I haven't noticed anywhere else, such as this wierd blur effect seen in Devil May Cry and Duel Saga... interesting how I haven't seen it anywhere else. Nyeh, it looks cool. The PS2 is somewhere between the GC and Xbox... I think it is worth having, but wont have as long of a life as the Xbox.

Xbox: The Xbox has the best graphics of the 3... and it looks beautiful. If most of the games you want are on all 3 systems, get the Xbox, as it will have the highest framerates and visual quality. As for the games, it has the awesomest games... Halo, KotoR, House of the Dead III, Otogi: Myth of Demons, Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter, Oddworld, Panzer Dragoon, Crimson Skies... the list goes on. Yes, some of these are on PC. But guess what? A PC required to run them costs way more than $170. And for $170 you get the xbox, 2 games, and 2 months of Xbox Live. Which brings me to my next point: Xbox live. Holy shiznit, Xbox live is the best. There's nothing like getting a game set up with some of your friends and playing over the net. It's like having a little party at your house playing some split screen, only, not split screen. You can talk over the headset freely, so communication is not limited. With almost 70 Live games already, and more coming, this console has lived with me for 2 full years and hasn't had a drop in activity. This is the way to go.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Viper45 (edited December 27, 2000).]
2003-12-23, 5:34 AM #42
Like I said 100million times.. ANY GAME WORTH BUYING ON PS2 OR XBOX WILL COME OUT ON THE PC..

------------------
Retsam of Rod-Nog (This IS[/b] SAJN_Master)
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2003-12-23, 5:37 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Cube (All around crappiness and childish games)
</font>

I wonder why no-one ever mentions the PS2's childish games. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2003-12-23, 6:14 AM #44
Hmm, my only guess is because there is a bigger selection of non-childish games. So the non childish games far outweigh the childish games.
sigs are fun stuff
2003-12-23, 6:18 AM #45
But the childish games are more fun.... and actually the higher percentage of Gamecube games arent CHILDISH, they just arent Mature rated.. having a M tag doesn't make a game fun..it's what the game is that makes it fun.. Like Luigi's mansion..GREAT GAME! Replay value? Not really...but is it fun...yes. I never trade my games, because even if I beat them, in a year or two I usually look back and say "I want to play that again" Gamecube goes for quality not quanity.

------------------
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2003-12-23, 6:19 AM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
Like I said 100million times.. ANY GAME WORTH BUYING ON PS2 OR XBOX WILL COME OUT ON THE PC..

</font>

Like I said a 100million times...

"Yes, some of these are on PC. But guess what? A PC required to run them costs way more than $170. And for $170 you get the xbox, 2 games, and 2 months of Xbox Live."

And no, not every good game on Xbox is on PC.

House of the Dead III
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Metal Arms
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Oddworld
Crimson Skies
Blood Wake
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
SSX Tricky
SSX 3
Brute Force
Dead or Alive 3
MechAssault
Ninja Gaiden
Serious Sam (Xbox version is way improved over PC verions)
Voodoo Vince

I could find more but I'm too lazy. Alter Echo looks fun.

------------------
2003-12-23, 6:19 AM #47
Look at Mario Kart : Double Dash

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-23, 6:26 AM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LividDK27:
I wonder why no-one ever mentions the PS2's childish games. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]</font>

Because they are not the console's main selling point, highest sellers, and mascots.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-23, 6:29 AM #49
But you could do the same thing for the PC

Call of Duty
Every RTS EVER
Battlefield 1942
Rainbow Six 1, 2 and maybe 3, Im not sure
Dungeon Siege
NeverWinter Nights
Half Life
Half Life 2
Unreal Tournement, Ut2k3 (with mods that is)

And so on, but all these games also have the modding potential that Console games will never have. Plus, better graphics, higher resolutions, yadda yadda yadda

------------------
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-23, 6:38 AM #50
Quote:

</font>

Can someone tell this dude he's not the center of the universe? Along with all the other OMG DUDE THIS GAME SYSTEM ROXORS MORE BOXORS THAN THAT ONE OMG! Some people have different tastses, and while most games will, there will always be those few RPGs and small-community games that, although great, are never gonna see the backside of a CRT Monitor.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited December 23, 2003).]
D E A T H
2003-12-23, 6:40 AM #51
You still don't understand what's happening. I'm defending consoles, not attacking computers. Computers are freaking expensive, and consoles are not.

And don't be so sure that console games will never have modability. One of the highest arguing points against consoles was "Consoles will never have online multiplayer"

ps. ravenshield 3 is on xbox, half life is on PS2, and Half Life 2 is going to be on Xbox.

------------------
2003-12-23, 6:41 AM #52
Also, some games are simply better on consoles. Ever played a sports game on a PC? Dont.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-23, 6:44 AM #53
Gamecube wins.
Two words: Metroid. Prime.

It was the only reason I even got a cube... if it wasn't for that game I wouldn't have gotten anything at all [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited December 23, 2003).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-23, 6:51 AM #54
But modability wont come on the consoles until probally the next generation of consoles comes out

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-23, 6:52 AM #55
This thread is pointless - you need to do your own research and look at the games for each system. Figure out which one has the most games that you want to play, and go from there. Other's peoples interests are not the same as your own, so why bother asking them?

I researched pretty heavily and ended up getting a GameCube - there's some PS2 games that I want to play (SOCOM, Kingdom Hearts), and there's some Xbox games that I would like to play through (none come to mind right now, but there are more than a few), but overall I'm pretty happy with my choice. Bottom line is, I did the research and I made the decision. Don't get pigeonholed into a choice because people you don't even know are trying to convince you to make an expensive purchase without giving any solid reasons.
2003-12-23, 6:59 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
But modability wont come on the consoles until probally the next generation of consoles comes out

</font>

ok, my fickle friend.... don't say it will never happen

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And so on, but all these games also have the modding potential that Console games will never have.</font>

------------------
2003-12-23, 6:59 AM #57
Well put Jipe

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-23, 7:11 AM #58
rawr.. I got owned

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-23, 7:21 AM #59
I either got PWND or yelled at by a n00b.. or PWND by a n00b.

------------------
2003-12-23, 7:27 AM #60
Quote:
I no, them games come 2 it. and I'll see u 2's-day, 2 play basktbl...

</font>

chill out ok i wrote it at 6 am ... jerk

------------------
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
2003-12-23, 8:21 AM #61
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] ... I like my friends..they can take jokes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2003-12-23, 12:07 PM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Can someone tell this dude he's not the center of the universe? Along with all the other OMG DUDE THIS GAME SYSTEM ROXORS MORE BOXORS THAN THAT ONE OMG! Some people have different tastses, and while most games will, there will always be those few RPGs and small-community games that, although great, are never gonna see the backside of a CRT Monitor.

</font>

says the person who assumes all consoles are attatched to a plasma t.v. I only recently got to get a tv to permanantly hook my GC up to that was a decent size. And the only reason for that was because the previous one had it's vcr die and had one of the in/out ports missing so I couldnt play without a VCR(and only one vcr in the house works at the moment, the one on our main tv)

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
alpha1: winner of the 2003 tfti award.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly. :)
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spork:
Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'</font>
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2003-12-23, 1:05 PM #63
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Also, some games are simply better on consoles. Ever played a sports game on a PC? Dont.

</font>

I agree BUT the one sports game I did buy highlighted a sore point for console games. I bought NBA2k3 for the Gamecube which I later discovered has a MAJOR crash bug in the dynasty mode of the GC version. Essentially every 2-3 games it hard locks and you need to turn the GC off.....this is a game killing bug for me as who wants to have to continually replay games because of crashes? It's frustrating to no end playing a game for an hour or more and then boom, gone.

If this was the PC it could have been patched....but given it's a console the game is hence completely screwed on the GC. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

It was such a disaster for Sega sales-wise that they ruled out publishing the new sequel on the GC [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian & A Very Massassian Xmas
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-23, 1:53 PM #64
Anyone know if the new Castlevania game is out for PS2? I love the Castlevania series, even the craptastical N64 ones.

------------------
<< start the revolution >>
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-23, 2:53 PM #65
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
Anyone know if the new Castlevania game is out for PS2? I love the Castlevania series, even the craptastical N64 ones.

</font>

Yes Lament of Innonence came out in October. Pretty good despite the repetitive level designs.
Listen to Jipe, these people's opinions are biased (I'm especially annoyed by the PC fanboys though...). You need to search the answers within...you know research. I own a PS2 and just recently got a Gamecube for Christmas. All consoles have it fair shares of good games. Just find the system that has the most games you like.
2003-12-23, 7:56 PM #66
Well, thanks for all the advice/opinions folks. I guess i'll take Jipe's advice and research it myself. Besides I'm not going to get anything until after the holidays so I got some time before I make a choice.
Thanks again.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."

↑ Up to the top!