Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Just beat Final Fantasy 7...
Just beat Final Fantasy 7...
2006-06-18, 10:04 PM #1
...for the first time.
I loved the game but
What's up with that ending?

It just... stopped.
I mean I'm glad I have Advent children to see what happens afterwards, but still.
WTH? Lots of stuff left up to the imagination.
oh and Omnislash FTW.

SO questions:

Aeris is dead? but not?
How could Kenneth (or whatever his name was) control Cait Sith after being captured?
When tifa said "Let's go see her (aeris)" what did she mean? I thought she was dead? How were they supposed to see her?
What exactly was holy?
Where did cloud go in the final battle with sephiroth? the center of the planet?
Is this and Advent children essentially the end of the story?
AKA: Are the other final fantasy games totally unrelated?

Are the other final fantasy games any good? storywise?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-06-18, 10:12 PM #2
I always get confused with the numbering, and I'm sure this is wrong, but Final Fantasy 2 (AKA the one with Baron's Castle, Cecil, & Kain) is the second-best storylined final fantasy in my opinion.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-18, 10:25 PM #3
I will always remember my battle with the end-guy.

Basically, both my teammates were dead and cloud was the only one left standing. I had no more magicka, no way to restore magicka, and no way left to heal. I was dreadfully low level (in the 40's somewhere). Fearing the worst, I did all I could do; just 1 last plain attack with Cloud. I knew the next hit from seph would kill me. But something amazing happened. That last hit killed him. :P
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-18, 10:28 PM #4
havn't really played FF7 in a long time (i think tifa was referring to lifestream when she said that)
I was always assuming that Holy was a form of materia that aeris was trying to use to kill the evil... at the end when meteor was coming, holy tried but failed again, i havn't played it in a very long while.

as for the other games, yes they are all totally un related. (excluding X-2)

I have really only played 3 of the FF games, 7, 8, and 10... 10 had some awesome ideas and great graphics (even if Titus was a pansy)... but to me FF8 was better, simply because of the charactors.
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-06-18, 10:30 PM #5
They're remaking FF VII (Using FF XII's engine, I think) as well as making games featuring other characters. I only know about a Vincent game.

-I think there was other stuff, too... dunno.
2006-06-18, 10:35 PM #6
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I always get confused with the numbering, and I'm sure this is wrong, but Final Fantasy 2 (AKA the one with Baron's Castle, Cecil, & Kain) is the second-best storylined final fantasy in my opinion.

Your best bet is to ignore U.S. numbers completely. Stick with original numbers.
In this case U.S. 2 = FF IV and U.S. 3 = FF VI

FF IV: That was LONG though. Well, probably no longer that typical story. But I dunno, I think it felt that it dragged on in some places.

FF VII: Aeris is dead. Sephiroth skewered her nice and plenty. Best I can equate is Obi-Wan talking to Luke. Although strickly the game wise, she's dead. I don't remember ANY dialog from her after disc 1. Holy materia was the ultimate white magic. It was suppose to counter the ultimate black magic, meteor. If you've played V, you do get holy/meteor as ultimate magics so I guess we had a reused plot device. But barely anyone heard of V as it was a Japanese only release..at the time. Did you not read the dialog. They were in the center. Seemed like it to me.

Free: I was ridiculously overpowered for final boss. It took me a grand total of 8 minutes to beat him. I made Tifa my materia *****. She was doing 6K+ damage with Ultima :D

Anybody beat ruby or elemental (?) weapons?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-18, 10:53 PM #7
Woo, flashback to 1997. The game was of course really easy to beat if you bothered to go through the trouble to get Knights of the Round and/or Omnislash.

Using stuff like KOTR, W-Summon, Counter, etc. made the weapons pretty easy too.

Personally, 6 will always remain my favorite though.
2006-06-18, 11:09 PM #8
I beat all the weapons except Ruby, that thing was damn impossible to do. I even read all of the guides on how to do it, but it seemed like i would always get horrible luck.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-19, 12:14 AM #9
Originally posted by Veger:
SO questions:

Aeris is dead? but not?
Aeris is, indeed, dead. When she died she returned to the lifestream but her consciousness remained intact.

How could Kenneth (or whatever his name was) control Cait Sith after being captured?
His name is Reeve. He was never captured, because he is a Shinra employee. Specifically, he's the guy who designed Midgar and he's also a double-/triple-/:psyduck:-agent.

When tifa said "Let's go see her (aeris)" what did she mean? I thought she was dead? How were they supposed to see her?
Tifa and Cloud can go to the lifestream and survive. They did it during the course of the game, in fact.

What exactly was holy?
Holy was a magical spell stored within the White Materia. It's designed to protect the planet by destroying whatever is harming it.
Holy ended up having the opposite effect. It was going to amplify Meteor in order to wipe out all humans. Aeris used the Lifestream to stop everything.

Where did cloud go in the final battle with sephiroth? the center of the planet?
In the "final battle", or the "final final battle"? Cloud and his party fought Sephiroth within the lifestream. At the very end, Cloud and Sephiroth fight to control Cloud's mind.

Is this and Advent children essentially the end of the story?
Not really. Dirge of Cerberus takes place after Advent Children. It's up to Square-Enix where the story goes from there.

AKA: Are the other final fantasy games totally unrelated?
They are but they aren't. All of the Final Fantasy games are "connected", but that's not necessarily meant to imply that they share worlds. Gilgamesh was banished from Final Fantasy V by Exdeath only to reappear in Final Fantasy VIII. Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy III share some of their basic mythology. Kingdom Hearts, obviously, connects the Final Fantasies in some fashion.

Quote:
Are the other final fantasy games any good? storywise?

Yes.
2006-06-19, 1:09 AM #10
This thread makes me want to play FF7 again.

Such an awesome game.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-19, 1:13 AM #11
Best RPG ever.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-19, 4:16 AM #12
Originally posted by Jarl:
They're remaking FF VII (Using FF XII's engine, I think) as well as making games featuring other characters. I only know about a Vincent game.

-I think there was other stuff, too... dunno.

No. They have repeatedly said the FFVII demo they showed for the PS3 was a tech demo only. They had no plans to remake FFVII.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-06-19, 7:46 AM #13
Originally posted by Tazz:
They had no PUBLISHED plans to remake FFVII.

Fixed <,<

I'm at work, and have nothing to do, so I'll waste my time to make a big ol' wall o' text.

I like to consider myself a final fantasy connoisseur. I played FF1 back when I was a wee lad, and then picked up again with FFIII(6) when I was in the 5th grade. I've played every FF game multiple times, with the exception of FFX-2.

Every FF is connected through a few things. First off, the magic structure. Every game has the same spells, and follow the same magic progression. (Fire 1-2-3, which has been renamed to Fire -> Fira -> Firaga, although the -aga suffix has since been made into the AOE moves in FFXI). And have the same big spells, (Ultima, Meteo, Holy, Break).

The second tie in within all games is the recurring characthers, monsters, jobs and such. All the games have a Cid characther, who is usually an engineer or pilot of some sort. Obviously you noted Cid Highwind in FFVII, the rough around the edges, down on his luck pilot, and he basically is like that in all games. He was a airship operator in 1, empire engineer in 2(4), magicite engineer in 3(6), and lead technology guy in Bastok in 11.
In addition to the Cid characther, the games share moogles and chocobos, and the summons. Moogles were downplayed in FFVII, but they are usually cute, mischevous little scamps who run around fixing problems for the main characthers. They are sometimes playable characthers, sometimes barely in the game at all (The stuffed toy Cait Sith rode on was a giant moogle), but they are always in there. The games also share the chocobos... they are big chickens... yeah thats really it.

Furthermore, all the games share the big, uber summons. These babies are my favorite part of the whole series. I've played every game looking forward to getting every summon, and using their huge uber attacks. Every game has ifrit, shiva, titan, ramuh, odin, bahamut, carbuncle, and others. And then each game spices it up with some new ones. FFVII for instance has Knights of the Round.
All the games share the same monsters (for the most part), which use the same abilities (for the most part). You most likely saw the ochus (Big... cthulu things) using bad breath, the bombs using self destruct, among others.

All FF share the job structure to some degree. While the jobs in FFVII were downplayed, they are all there to some effect. Cloud was the Knight, barret the ranger, Cid was the dragoon. Tifa the brawler, Cait sith the bard, vincent the... ranger... again. Etc. All the games have the same jobs, with some jobs truly specific to the franchise. Dragoons, for instance, are really distinctive in the FF universe. The blue and purple armor, along with jumps, dragon breaths, and other moves, create a truly distinctive class. Other classes are torn out of D&D, with little FF tweaks.

The FF series is adored by it's fans because of these connections. Going in to a FF game gurentees you two things. A completely new, well thought out story, with a new world, new characthers, all of which implemented to the highest degree of excellence. However, the second is that there are enough things to tie it back to the first time you played FF. Whether it was FFVII, FFIV or VI, or even FFI, whenever you play another FF game you find the similarities, and it makes every game, no matter how old or new, feel nostalgic to some degree.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-19, 7:47 AM #14
Actually, Square Enix announced that they are indeed making a remake of FFVII for the PS3. Didn't you get the memo?

FFVI is my favorite game of all time, bar none. And I've played a lot of games.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-06-19, 7:50 AM #15
Originally posted by Whelly:
Actually, Square Enix announced that they are indeed making a remake of FFVII for the PS3. Didn't you get the memo?

No... they haven't. They made it very clear that it was just a tech demo, and have not made any releases about actaully making the game. (That's not to say they won't, they just havent announced it).
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-19, 7:54 AM #16
Originally posted by Whelly:

FFVI is my favorite game of all time, bar none. And I've played a lot of games.

They never announced a remake though. They only made a PS3 technical demonstration to show what the system is capable of.

Here is Square-Enix denying rumors of a remake last month:

http://bluelaguna.net/news/8191/square-enix-denies-rumors-of-a-final-fantasy-7-remake.php

I'm not saying it's not going to happen. In fact, it probably will at one point, but it still just speculation.

Btw, here is FFVII's intro redone for the PS3 demonstration in case anyone hasn't seen it:
http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff7ps3techdemo.htm
2006-06-19, 8:26 AM #17
OH YEAH! And that reminds me:

Final Fantasy XII English Trailer
2006-06-19, 8:59 AM #18
Cloud is a complete and utter badass. Especially in that last part of that PS3 tech demo. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-06-19, 9:24 AM #19
I LOVED FF V's job/ability system. I can have a black mage be able to wield broad swords from the knight class I picked up. I had a black/white mage (Lenna most of the time). FF V (to my knowledge) was the first time where your magic didn't progress by leveling but by purchasing. This concept was brought back with the materia system in VII. Although you bought one "fire" materia and it grew with experience. I also really liked the materia system in VII too. I didn't like getting magic from espers in VI. I thought it took too long to get magics and I had to level EVERYONE upto a spell.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-19, 10:16 AM #20
Now you've done it, try again without Materia.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-19, 10:34 AM #21
[QUOTE=- Tony -]Now you've done it, try again without Materia.[/QUOTE]

Dear god... is that even... possible?

Use nothing but potions? Thats hardcore....
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-19, 10:45 AM #22
My best mate did it last year. Took him about a month.

Ok now, JG, where do you get that 2=4? I own both, completely different games.

Side note - I managed to defeat both Ruby and Emerald Weapon. Emerald was a ***** and took me ages to beat. Ruby was a doddle however.
nope.
2006-06-19, 11:14 AM #23
both Ruby and Emerald were easy.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-06-19, 11:29 AM #24
Originally posted by Baconfish:
My best mate did it last year. Took him about a month.

Side note - I managed to defeat both Ruby and Emerald Weapon. Emerald was a ***** and took me ages to beat. Ruby was a doddle however.

The U.S. versions of the SNES games had different numbering than the "rest." The U.S. version of FF 2 really is FF IV. Same goes with FF 3 which is FF VI.
2006-06-19, 11:31 AM #25
Quadra Magic + Demi = Emerald death

Ruby was a pain in the ***.

Now let's clear up this gaming number buisness.

Final Fantasy I = FFI. No bones about that one.

Final Fantasy 2 (US) = FF IV(j)

The original FFII was released on NES and had an interesting stat system where the more you did different things in battles, different stats would increase (swrod skill, axe skill, shield, magic, etc... )

FFIIIj was also released on the NES and featured job classes for the first time, showcasing the Fighter, BMage, RMage, WMage, and then some. Your base class was Onkion Knight (The hell?) and swicthing jobs cost points. I never got past the Sea Monster :(

FFIVj was Cecil, Kain, the whole lot.

FFV (J/U) was released on SNES in Japan and was later released with VI on FF Anthology for PSX. Also featured job classes. And another "4 crystals" plot element (yay!)

FFVI - See above: Plot is resoundingly similar to Empire Strikes Back, even some of the dialogue. SNES version FTW.

FFVII - Seriously, if you don't know, just kill yourself.

FFVIII - Overdramatic, 4 disc romp through a strange industrial world where you play as people with realistic proportions for a change. Stats are controlled via 'junctioning' magic to them. Oooh, ground-breaking.

FFIX - Old school superdeformed romp through Fantasyland with familiar (and unchangeable) job classes. I liked it, people didn't. It's enjoyable.

FFX - Okay, is anyone taking us seriously anymore? first PS2 FF release, also first with actual voice acting (and it doesn't sound too horrible most of the time). Good music, long story.

FFXI - Ever played EQ/WoW/NWN/UO ? Japanese parties FTW.

FFXII - I just watched the trailer. Holy ****. This looks sweet, if not vaguely reminiscent of FFIV. Did anyone besides me think that the in-game footage showed something like a combo attack in a battle? And is there any info on this yet?

That's it in a nutshell. If you want plots, go read something.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-06-19, 11:31 AM #26
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
FF V (to my knowledge) was the first time where your magic didn't progress by leveling but by purchasing.

You bought spells in Final Fantasy I.

Originally posted by Baconfish:
Final Fantasy 2 in North America was called Final Fantasy 4 in Japan. FF2j was the NES game. FF4j/FF2u was the SNES game.

I'm guessing you have the Playstation or Gameboy versions of these games.
2006-06-19, 12:18 PM #27
Gah! Emerald shoot is doing 7000+ damage each time!

I should be mopping the floor with this guy @ level 63.
2006-06-19, 12:34 PM #28
The U.S. versions of the SNES games had different numbering than the "rest." The U.S. version of FF 2 really is FF IV. Same goes with FF 3 which is FF VI.

Ah.

Fair dos.
nope.
2006-06-19, 2:09 PM #29
I read somewhere that the ultimate combo to use against ultimate was something like 'final attack' and 'phoenix strike', so every time acharacter dies, he casts phoenix strike and it resurrects you and damages the guy. Can't forget to use Demi too, like someone else said.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-06-19, 2:12 PM #30
What you're thinking of having is final-attack linked to phoenix. When that character dies, phoenix is cast which ressurects the entire party.
nope.
2006-06-19, 2:47 PM #31
I'm using quadra magic + Demi 3 and it's doing 39996 damage when I do get it off. Trouble is, it does emerald shoot and it's an insta-kill for party member(s). :(
2006-06-19, 2:51 PM #32
Big Guard is your friend.

When he uses Air-tam storm, that's when you're proper ****ed.
nope.
2006-06-19, 4:37 PM #33
If you're truely worried about Aire-tam Storm, drop some of your materia. Well, unequip it, anyway.

And Final Attack -> Phoenix.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-19, 4:55 PM #34
Originally posted by Homicide:
FFXII - I just watched the trailer. Holy ****. This looks sweet, if not vaguely reminiscent of FFIV. Did anyone besides me think that the in-game footage showed something like a combo attack in a battle? And is there any info on this yet?

Any info on FFXII or the combo attack?

On combo attacks in FFXII: The game uses a new version of the Limit Break system: Mist Knacks (may be renamed in the English version), which allow the player to dash out high damage attacks for a short while. The player can quickly string together multiple attacks for huge combos, but by doing this, the time the Limit Break is active decreases.

On FFXII: It will come out in the US in October. More info on the game here.
2006-06-19, 6:13 PM #35
I always defeated Emerald before it even used Aire-tam storm. I deliberately took my time about it once and the damage was only 9998, which is fine.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-06-19, 7:51 PM #36
I don't live long enough to see Aire-tam

As soon as battle starts, one member dies from "emerald shoot." I get Big Guard casted and I maybe last a few more rounds before I'm wiped clean.
2006-06-19, 8:14 PM #37
Sephiroth himself didn't kill Aeris.

As I recall, it was a hunk of jenova shaped like sephiroth that killed aeris.
2006-06-19, 8:45 PM #38
FF V (to my knowledge) was the first time where your magic didn't progress by leveling but by purchasing.

last I checked thats how you got your magic in the first FF. then after that is when they made it so you lvl up. correct me if Im wrong.

I only beat FF VII for the first time a few months ago, because I could find a bloody copy of the game that wouldn't frezze at some crucial point.

I think most of the other stuff has been covered.

FF VI was probably the next best as far as all round game.
FF IV was arguably the best story, on par with VII, and had the best villan next to Sephiroth
FF VIII had the best characters IMO. Squall being my fav. hero ever. The love story was amazing but the save the world part was lame and the villan was really lame.
FF X had a great story one of the better battle systems (second only to VII) but some of the charcters were weak at best. Auron, Rikku, Lulu, and Yuna were the only good ones. the other four were meh(and Rukku is just a rehashing of Yuffie/Selphie.)
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-06-19, 8:49 PM #39
Originally posted by Rob:
Sephiroth himself didn't kill Aeris.

As I recall, it was a hunk of jenova shaped like sephiroth that killed aeris.

It was a "clone" pf sephiroth, not a chunk of Jenova but a part of Sephiroth himself. Since he had so many Jenova cells in him his whole life he also has his own "Reunion" which is seperate from the the Jenova Reunion. it's not that well explained in the game but it's what the whole movie is centered arround.

(sorry for the double post) :psycheduck:
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-06-23, 2:04 PM #40
Originally posted by Homicide:
FFXI - Ever played EQ/WoW/NWN/UO ? Japanese parties FTW.

indeed that is true.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!