Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → You are at a restaurant...
You are at a restaurant...
2006-06-22, 7:48 PM #1
...and you ordered a good meal. Right after the waiter/waitress gives you the plate and walks away, you notice there is a strand of hair right on your food. What would you do? Request a new plate of food, just pull it out and continue eating, ask for discount price, eat the hair or some other action? Depends on how much you paid?

I'm just curious.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-22, 7:49 PM #2
Hair in my food really creeps/grosses me out. I would send it back, although I know that isnt the best idea to do in resturants >.>
2006-06-22, 7:52 PM #3
What kind of hair are we talkin' about?
2006-06-22, 7:54 PM #4
The type of hair from your worst fears.
2006-06-22, 7:56 PM #5
So... David Hasselhoff's chest hair?

Eat.
2006-06-22, 7:57 PM #6
i'm bearded with long shaggy hair. i eat hair all the time.

sometimes i find a hair in my food while i'm eating, but usually i just think its one of mine.

one time i was eating scrambled eggs and there was a hair cooked into the eggs. that was gross. i didnt finish eating them, but the pancake and bacon was good.

mmmmmm bacon.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-06-22, 8:00 PM #7
I would tell the waiter/waitress about it. Usually they will get you a new one.
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2006-06-22, 8:01 PM #8
I tend not to eat out for such reasons. If it were to happen, I'd politely make the waiter aware of the situation and ask them nicely to try again. Otherwise they'll wipe their *** with your plate. Haven't you folks seen "Waiting"?!
2006-06-22, 8:02 PM #9
I'd be nice about it and ask them nicely if they could take it back, and apologize. I tend to put it in a way where they don't seem to upset. I like the taste of saliva more than hair, anyway.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-22, 8:08 PM #10
I'd probably eat it anyway. I don't like troubling the waiter all too much, especially for something I don't particularly care about.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-06-22, 8:24 PM #11
Originally posted by Echoman:
...and you ordered a good meal. Right after the waiter/waitress gives you the plate and walks away, you notice there is a strand of hair right on your food. What would you do? Request a new plate of food, just pull it out and continue eating, ask for discount price, eat the hair or some other action? Depends on how much you paid?

I'm just curious.

EVIDENCE!

...I just watched CSI.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-22, 8:45 PM #12
I would just say "Excuse me, there is a hair in my food." and then show him/her the hair. I highly doubt they'll fight you on it. It's their job to give good service (having that nice blue "A" on your door is pretty important) so they should say "Oh sorry about that. I'll get you a new dish." If they don't do that, just refuse to pay and walk out. It's not like you ate the food anyway so you shouldn't need to pay for it.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-22, 8:54 PM #13
[http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/783/killitwithfire2mg.jpg]
D E A T H
2006-06-22, 8:55 PM #14
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I tend not to eat out for such reasons. If it were to happen, I'd politely make the waiter aware of the situation and ask them nicely to try again. Otherwise they'll wipe their *** with your plate. Haven't you folks seen "Waiting"?!

Now that I am a waiter, I can actually see what kind of things happen behind the scenes. When there is something wrong with the food, they usually just dispose of it. Unless they are really busy, thats what they do. If they are busy, they will try to make the best out of what is already right on the plate.

So far, I haven't seen any disgusting stuff that you guys think waiters do. But let me tell you, back in the kitchen, we talk about the customers. :P
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2006-06-22, 9:14 PM #15
Normally, I would send it back. But, when you do that, the waiter/waitress almost always INSISTS on making it free. Yeah, free food is nice, but for me, it just doesn't feel right.
"You cannot turn me off!"

-Ryham
2006-06-22, 9:36 PM #16
eh depends, sometimes I would just pick it out and continue eating. I may nicely tell the waiter/waitress about it. More often than not I'd just pick it out.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-06-22, 9:49 PM #17
If I can identify who's it is (like if it's a waiters/waitresses), I'll usually eat, but if its from an unkown source i'll just disreguard that region of food it was in, and eat around it.
2006-06-22, 9:58 PM #18
I'd pull it out and eat it. They are just going to throw it away, and that seems like such a waste to me. It's not going to kill you.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-06-22, 10:17 PM #19
Pull it out and continue eating. I'm stealing from Seinfeld here, but hair doesn't become toxic once it comes off someone's head. No one panics if they touch head hair so I don't see much difference if it's just lying there.
2006-06-22, 10:36 PM #20
Originally posted by Ford:
i'm bearded with long shaggy hair. i eat hair all the time.

sometimes i find a hair in my food while i'm eating, but usually i just think its one of mine.

Same here.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-06-22, 11:06 PM #21
Originally posted by ryham:
Normally, I would send it back. But, when you do that, the waiter/waitress almost always INSISTS on making it free. Yeah, free food is nice, but for me, it just doesn't feel right.

Maybe to them, one plate doesn't matter compared to the satisfaction of the customer?
2006-06-22, 11:16 PM #22
Originally posted by Rerun:
Pull it out and continue eating. I'm stealing from Seinfeld here, but hair doesn't become toxic once it comes off someone's head. No one panics if they touch head hair so I don't see much difference if it's just lying there.

Ever heard of something called "head grease"? When you touch you head with your hands, are you ingesting the hair? No, didn't think so.

(Note: the above response was not meant to be mean. Just making a point.)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-22, 11:17 PM #23
I'd definitely just remove the hair and eat the meal. Any other course of action makes a whiny sniveling little annoying picky *****.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-22, 11:24 PM #24
I'd just up and eat it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-22, 11:27 PM #25
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Ever heard of something called "head grease"? When you touch you head with your hands, are you ingesting the hair? No, didn't think so.

(Note: the above response was not meant to be mean. Just making a point.)

You have worse oils on your hands, not to mention I'm sure there's worse things on doorknobs and whatnot than could possibly be on your head. Honestly, hair is not toxic. I've gotten hair in my mouth before, and I'm still alive.

But I still say
D E A T H
2006-06-22, 11:32 PM #26
The head grease is the best part.
2006-06-22, 11:54 PM #27
I pick it off and throw away. If there are more hairs, then I'll FINNSPLODE.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-23, 12:47 AM #28
Originally posted by Rerun:

Exactly. And any oils or other unwanted substances from the hair aren't going to instantly leech throughout your entire dish. Not to mention that anything coming off of one hair is completely negligible.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-23, 1:17 AM #29
If it just one, pick it out and continue eating. Although it disturbs me slightly, but not enough to have the whole plateful of food be thrown to waste. I don't generally like wasting food.

But if there were more than one strand of hair, I'd call the waiter.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-06-23, 1:21 AM #30
Hair's nothing.
On the other hand, I commonly pull band-aids off my body and put them on my dishes if I want free food.

-... OK, not really, but that was an awesome episode of Just Shoot Me.
2006-06-23, 1:52 AM #31
I'd probably think it was one of mine. But even so, I'd just remove it from the food, and continue eating anyway. It's not as if it's going to kill me, and I can't be bothered making a fuss at restaurants- if I asked for a new one, I'd feel guilty for a) wasting the food/time/money and b) holding up the rest of the people I was eating with.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2006-06-23, 2:40 AM #32
Originally posted by gammasts:
So far, I haven't seen any disgusting stuff that you guys think waiters do. But let me tell you, back in the kitchen, we talk about the customers. :P

Not really related, but my father once went out with a business partner and his colleague told him that he would always send back the first bottle of wine, after tasting it.
True enough, they were sitting there, the waiter brought the wine, the guy tasted it and sent it back. My father had tasted it, too, and couldn't find anything wrong with it, but he didn't want to make a fuss about it.
So, the second wine came and all parties agreed that you could drink it.
Well, later my father asked him, why he always sends back the first bottle. His reason was this: Every opened bottle that gets rejected goes into the kitchen. And there the staff have a nice time, with a nice expensive wine.

As for hair in my food, it'd depend on the setting. But usually I'd just pick it out and eat on.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-23, 3:32 AM #33
Pick it out and eat the meal. Too much fuss just for one measly strand of dead cells.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-23, 7:00 AM #34
...now what if you found a ROACH?! :eek:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-23, 7:22 AM #35
Hmmm, good question. I'd probably kick some ***. I always dreamed of starting a bar brawl, this would be the perfect moment to. Pure gold.

Pick up the waiter and throw him on neighbouring clients.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-23, 8:29 AM #36
And an excellent opportunity to exercise... JEP SMASH [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-23, 9:16 AM #37
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
And an excellent opportunity to exercise... JEP SMASH [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

!!!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-23, 9:22 AM #38
problem in a restaurant?

one answer

rape everything!
2006-06-23, 9:30 AM #39
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
...now what if you found a ROACH?! :eek:

You'd be surprised how well this works with...everything.
D E A T H
2006-06-23, 9:34 AM #40
I'd pull it out and eat. One hair can't hurt destroy the meal.

Originally posted by Echoman:
The type of hair from your worst fears.

In that case, it would be really awkward. A pubic hair in my food? WTF? Here is how I imagine that conversation between the waiter and me.

JDK: Excuse me, there is a pubic hair in my food. Can you replace the food?

*Waiter either complies or . . . *

W: How do you know it is a pubic hair?

JDK: Echoman said so.

W: ?

That didn't get me very far.

↑ Up to the top!