Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jon Stewart's :MASTERSTROKE:
Jon Stewart's :MASTERSTROKE:
2006-06-23, 11:18 AM #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LenbSKbn-U&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ejoystiq%2Ecom%2F2006%2F06%2F22%2Fjon%2Dstewart%2Dblasts%2Dcongress%2Dignorance%2Dtowards%2Dvideo%2Dgames%2F

Beautiful.
D E A T H
2006-06-23, 11:20 AM #2
yeah I saw that episode. Report from San Andreas was hilarious.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-06-23, 11:31 AM #3
That was awesome. Great post, Yoshi.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-06-23, 11:38 AM #4
That was gold.
2006-06-23, 11:48 AM #5
"Insane jackasses" FTW
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-06-23, 12:39 PM #6
woo! :P

Don't forget, all you need to to evade cops is spray paint your vehicle :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-23, 12:43 PM #7
What I love is that a congressman "understands the basic fundamentals" of Civ 4.

-That makes me weep or our country. Political leaders should be able to get through the game on hard, at least.
2006-06-23, 1:12 PM #8
are you all morons?

GAMES TURN PEOPLE INTO KILLERS

seriously, my dad played tetris about 6 months ago.

he is up for parole in 400 years.
2006-06-23, 1:14 PM #9
And don't forget Pacman, that game teaches you that popping magic white pills while listening to techno makes you see edible ghosts :P
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-23, 1:15 PM #10
actually no... those white pills are pcp.

the ghosts are the untouchable arm of the law.

it teaches kids that popping PCP makes it COMPLETELY OK to attack police officers with your teeth.
2006-06-23, 1:32 PM #11
Originally posted by finity5:
That was gold.

Indeed
Pissed Off?
2006-06-23, 1:32 PM #12
Mario Bros taught me I should stomp penis-shaped enemies and eat colorful mushrooms.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-23, 1:54 PM #13
"While I was standing there, watching them play these violent videogames, I couldn't help but wonder where the system went wrong."

Seriously: The ESRB was created in response to congress' *****ing in the first place. They slapped on the rating system and, like movies, left it up to the parents to decide. Most stores don't sell M rated games to minors. M is a perfectly good measure of game content. WHERE is the system flawed? The home.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-23, 1:56 PM #14
Originally posted by JediKirby:
"While I was standing there, watching them play these violent videogames, I couldn't help but wonder where the system went wrong."

Seriously: The ESRB was created in response to congress' *****ing in the first place. They slapped on the rating system and, like movies, left it up to the parents to decide. Most stores don't sell M rated games to minors. M is a perfectly good measure of game content. WHERE is the system flawed? The home.

Exactly. THe government shouldn't have to step in because of ****ty parenting.
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-23, 3:34 PM #15
Can't believe I missed that episode; I watch almost everyday.

Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Exactly. THe government shouldn't have to step in because of ****ty parenting.

Yeah, it's sad that a lot of parents simply won't take the fact that it is their responsibility to supervise the actions of their children.

When I saw Stewart live, he said he liked Doom 3.
2006-06-23, 3:46 PM #16
I grew up playing Doom and Dark Forces.

I don't kill people... on accident.
2006-06-23, 3:58 PM #17
Originally posted by Reid:
I grew up playing Doom and Dark Forces.

I don't kill people... on accident.

:ninja:
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-24, 11:20 AM #18
I wish WhipperSnappers 2 was a real game... and to say that poor people are too stupid to differentiate between games and life is so... racist.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-24, 11:57 AM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:

I know for a fact that EB Games strictly enforces the M rule. If a customer does not look 17 (and we get alot of baby faced 17 year olds) they we HAVE to ID them. you can refuse to a sell a game to a customer if they don't look like they are 17.

if you sell an M rated game and get caught, the employee is fined, if they are caught a second time the store is fined and the employee can loose their job, a third time is imediate dismissal, least thats what my managers have told me when I worked at EB, and the fines are pretty stiff.

but even still, doesn't the xbox have a parental control? the PS2 has parental controls as well I think, problem is parents just buy the system for their kids and don't bother to read the instruction manual and stuff, they figure the kids know how it works.

if the parents actually read the istructions they'd know that they can disable functions of the systems they don't want kids to access, or they should at least KNOW what the ratings mean.

When I worked at EB games I made sure that when a minor bought an M game, that their parent was THERE to give them permission and I explained WHY it's rated M, sometimes the parent would go, "oh..." look at their kid strangly and say, "lets get the racing game instead" I LOVE those parents, they care what their kids play.

other parents just say "oh, if he doesn't get it here he'll just play it at his friends house, or see it somewhere else." and just buy it anyway and then complain because you cxan shoot cops and beat hookers.

one parent bought a game for their 6 year olds birthday, they choose the game with the cute squirel on the cover and returned the next day because it was violent, had strong language and involved lots of sex and other naughty stuff. SHE BOUGHT THE NEW CONKER GAME, the friggin squirel on the cover is wearing army gear, decked out with an assault rifle and smoking a cigar, it sported a label in the corner "NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER 17" and had an M rating.

parents are friggin stupid, anmd THATS the problem.
The Gas Station
2006-06-24, 11:59 AM #20
Originally posted by Schming:
I wish WhipperSnappers 2 was a real game... and to say that poor people are too stupid to differentiate between games and life is so... racist.

yeah, I think that was my personal favorite part.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-06-24, 12:05 PM #21
My parents were like that... Well my mom, and I wasn't allowed to buy any M rated game, until I was about 15.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-06-24, 12:18 PM #22
Thank god my mom sucks. Otherwise I'd have never played DooM as a 5 year old, and thus began my legacy of awesomeness :D
D E A T H
2006-06-24, 12:20 PM #23
:eek: You have nerves of steel. I was too scared to play Doom as a kid.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-24, 12:22 PM #24
Originally posted by Grant:
parents are friggin stupid, and THATS the problem.

hell yeah
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-24, 12:24 PM #25
Originally posted by Tracer:
:eek: You have nerves of steel. I was too scared to play Doom as a kid.

2006-06-24, 12:25 PM #26
I was desensitized to violence before picking up Doom I guess, because I just had fun running around and killing **** :D
D E A T H
2006-06-24, 12:27 PM #27
I would've been playing Doom and Wolfenstein as a kid if we actually had the computer to run it. Our family computer until about '97 was a freaking Apple II GS, and the only game we had was some Ultima clone.
2006-06-24, 12:29 PM #28
I didn't have DooM when I was younger. But what I did have was Duke Nukem 3D.
2006-06-24, 12:29 PM #29
Originally posted by Grant:
one parent bought a game for their 6 year olds birthday, they choose the game with the cute squirel on the cover and returned the next day because it was violent, had strong language and involved lots of sex and other naughty stuff. SHE BOUGHT THE NEW CONKER GAME, the friggin squirel on the cover is wearing army gear, decked out with an assault rifle and smoking a cigar, it sported a label in the corner "NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER 17" and had an M rating.

Hahaha, awesome :o
2006-06-24, 12:30 PM #30
My parents tried to shield me and stuff. Dad played Wolfenstien, and I was only allowed in the room to watch a couple times, then he changed his mind. The most violent game I had played for a long time was JK :P

Of course, now I've played through GTA games, True Crime, couple Hitman games, and an assortment of other graphic and sometimes morally questionable FPS games. I haven't killed anyone in real life, so I think I turned out okay :P
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-25, 4:52 AM #31
Originally posted by Schming:

Racism usually has to do with race, not class. :P
2006-06-25, 8:55 AM #32
Every time I confront my grandpa on his stance that videogames make violent people, citing that I, in fact, have played games like Blake Stone since their release, he simply dismisses it as me being "an exception".

Yes, violent video games create an increased tendency toward violent reactions. But they don't make normal[/b] people go out and shoot up their fellow schoolmates - it takes an unbalanced person to begin with, and, yes, I will admit that violent videogames probably have a bad influence on these individuals - but (and stay with me here) if your kid is not right in the head, perhaps you should exercise some parental control? :eek:

[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]Racism usually has to do with race, not class. :P[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that, if it weren't for the civil rights movement, he would have fit "black" in there somewhere. :p
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-25, 1:37 PM #33
It's called PARENTING. My parents didn't allow me to buy mature games until I was 14. Seriously, parents are so ****ing lazy these days.
2006-06-25, 1:38 PM #34
Stop brining sense and reason into the argument, people! :P
Pissed Off?
2006-06-25, 2:30 PM #35
I grew up playing Wolf3D and DooM once my uncle lent us his 4 3.5" floppy doom set. I turned out fine, I'm not killing anyone. You want an example of it gone wrong? I have a friend who wants to join the army because he wants to kill people. He's 13, by the way. Just in case you were wondering.

I was allowed any M-rated game, up until I bought GTA3 in 4th grade and had it taken away. That was a smart move on my parents' side, and ultimately I thank them for it. However, now that GTA games are coming out more and more "Debatable" I'm limited in my M games. I can't play GTA (I really don't think my parents would care so much anymore, now that I'm older. Especially my dad, he's realized I've grown up), can't play a game if it drops the f-bomb (usually). Can't play very sexual games. But gore? BLOW THEM INTO A MILLION PIECES. My parents don't care about gore.

Funny thing is, aside from getting extremely sexual (a la Kill Bill. I was sent out last month when that was on Encore...first time in a while, and surprised me) my parents don't care. I could watch Die Hard, Midnight Run (I think that was the title) where f*** is in every line and they won't care.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-25, 2:34 PM #36
I started playing Doom II when I was three, despite my brother's computer permissions. I could only make it to level four before it got too hard.

Today I'm wanted for over three school shootings and five murders unrelated to the shootings.
2006-06-25, 2:35 PM #37
Kill Bill is sexual...? Hrmm...

Must suck to be a kid in this day and age.
2006-06-25, 2:40 PM #38
Well, ultimately there's irony in the kill bill story, but I don't think it would be appreciated on a forum with such "restrictions" as Massassi.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-25, 2:41 PM #39
Hemopehliacs, man. Kill Bill was XXX to them.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-25, 4:55 PM #40
Do hemophiliacs get off on people who bleed just as much as they do or something?

↑ Up to the top!