Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Changes on the OT dvd?
Changes on the OT dvd?
2004-06-22, 2:12 PM #1
I don't think this has been posted yet...

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#24216

What's everyone's thoughts on the additions/changes?
2004-06-22, 2:16 PM #2
Cool....although fanatics will be like "OMG TRILOGY SUCKS NOW!!!"

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

2004-06-22, 2:18 PM #3
I can't find any information on that page, but from what I hear, the additions will be things that I appreciate. Other than changing Anakin's spirit form, which is stupid.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-22, 2:34 PM #4
is it going to be a limited edition DVD? (will it only be available for a short ammount of time) I've been hearing rumors about that.

I can see it now: Star Wars geeks fighting in the aisles of every store to get the last copy. I then come by and swipe it while everyone is watching the fight. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 2:42 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MeLoN:
I can't find any information on that page, but from what I hear, the additions will be things that I appreciate. Other than changing Anakin's spirit form, which is stupid.

</font>

Well, it somewhat makes sense. But only if the spirit is in the form of anakin just before he turns darkside...

[This message has been edited by Morfildor (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 3:39 PM #6
Did they seriously add the Anakin from Attack of the Clones to Return of the Jedi? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why don't they, instead, digitally replace Episodes I & II with good movies?
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-22, 3:45 PM #7
That whole thing with Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw again? When the list with that replacement was floating around, Lucas made a confirmation announcement that the list was fake.

I see nothing on TFN's page either so I assume it was just that list popping up again.

And why would fanatics be upset -now- from those changes? We're already upset over it not being the ORIGINAL Trilogy. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-06-22, 3:55 PM #8
I personally believe he should just leave it alone now. The Special Edition was alright, but him continuing to add stuff to films that are over 20 years old is beginning to seem absurd to me.

I love this part, "... Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in the Trilogy." Some Star Wars fans THEY are. He was ALWAYS the emperor in the trilogy. The ONLY movie in which he wasn't the emp was Empire Strikes Back. I don't really count that one though becuase it was only a what, 15 second scene?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 6:35 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
Did they seriously add the Anakin from Attack of the Clones to Return of the Jedi? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why don't they, instead, digitally replace Episodes I & II with good movies?</font>

I don't think MORE digital elements will help those movies [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

But, anyways, I don't hate the movies that much, because this is Lucas's vision, and it seems that his main point in the movie is to entertain. And, generally, I find both prequels entertaining. However, I think faults in character development or plot-line are just too distracting sometimes to ignore.

I also think that the opinion of TPM and AOTC has been heightened, because expecations have been taken off. People expected TPM to be good when it came out, to live up to the original trilogy, and they were dissapointed. But after a while, since you aren't expecting it to be an amazing movie, you don't look at it as so terribly bad.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mscbuck (edited June 22, 2004).]

2004-06-22, 6:39 PM #10
Agreed. If he wants to do that, I think he should just go for a "Final Fantasy" look.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 7:08 PM #11
I wish there was a way of getting the ORIGINAL trilogy and not the special edition. Sorry to be a fanatic but I really didnt like any of the additions in the SE. Plus the CG at the time was really really lame. Greedo shooting first? Ya.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-22, 7:31 PM #12
I don't think I've ever SEEN the originals. 0_o I never actually saw them anywhere. I was introduced to SW when iw as a kid and they were all re-released in theaters. Then I got the boxset 0_o. I need to go rent the originals now!

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-22, 7:54 PM #13
If you saw it the FIRST time it was rereleased, you saw the pure unaltered trilogy right there. Same applies to the box sets. All that was done when it was rereleased the first time I believe was minor cleanup of the video and audio.

We actually have two sets of the unaltered trilogy laying around here. One was recorded off HBO a long, LONG time ago. The other was given to use by a friend when he bought the Special Edition. That set is a real boxed set.

It's kinda funny really. I saw my first movie when I was about 1 and a half or so. Take a guess as to what it was. Episode IV: A New Hope. Guess it had a lasting impression eh?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 8:58 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
I wish there was a way of getting the ORIGINAL trilogy and not the special edition. Sorry to be a fanatic but I really didnt like any of the additions in the SE. Plus the CG at the time was really really lame. Greedo shooting first? Ya.

</font>

ebay.

BTw, i liked the changes that they made to bespin in ESB:SE. They really opened it up, it seemed rather claustrophobic before.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-22, 9:12 PM #15
I have the THX version of the original trilogy, released in the early ninties. I haven't seen the special edition of any of the Star Wars movies for a few years now.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-06-22, 11:00 PM #16
These are apparently images of a couple of changes to RotJ and ESB. They aren't confirmed, but the emperor one is very well done.

[http://www.idontfear.com/episode3/tempfile/ASTCI/emperorpalpatine.jpg]

[http://www.movieweb.com/media/news/05_04/sw.jpg]

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-06-22, 11:21 PM #17
Why would Obi-Wan appear old, and Anakin appear young?
2004-06-23, 3:53 AM #18
Because it's a photoshop, it's been floating around for a couple weeks now. I assume the Emperor would be a photoshop too.

------------------
2004-06-23, 4:03 AM #19
Or because they'll do anything to include Hayden Christensen in the original trilogy. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-06-23, 4:04 AM #20
those are obviously photoshops. The white line around anakin looks terrible. Notice how yoda and obi kinda fade into the background? Anakin does not do that.. he just kinda sits on top of it. Obviously photoshopped.

The emperor looks better, but it still looks like a photoshop job.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-23, 4:19 AM #21
Has there been any word about the commentary? Like who's doing it?

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-23, 4:21 AM #22
Higher-res:
[http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3290/episode6_dvd_haydenchristensen.jpg]

Fixed Greedo scene.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Has there been any word about the commentary? Like who's doing it?

</font>

Episode IV, A New Hope
Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back
Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Episode VI, Return of the Jedi
Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke

[This message has been edited by TimeWolfOfThePast (edited June 23, 2004).]
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-06-23, 3:12 PM #23
I suppose I could live with the revised Emp in ESB, but Anakin in RotJ? No. That is one they should leave the hell alone. He seriously doesn't look right at ALL standing there.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-23, 5:19 PM #24
How the hell could Greedo miss by that much when his gun has been pointed at Han Solo throughout the entire conversation?

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-06-23, 5:37 PM #25
The revised emp looks great (even more sickly than he did in ROTJ). The original ESB emperor just had this weird cheekbone-sticking-out thing going, and it really bothered me.

But the young anakin.... no. just no. It makes no sense.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-23, 7:28 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
How the hell could Greedo miss by that much when his gun has been pointed at Han Solo throughout the entire conversation?

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Because Han dodges it.

Plus Greedo's huge buggy eyes probably don't do well for his depth perception.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-23, 7:31 PM #27
I don't like the new emperor thing. Bleh. Crappy makeup job or something.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
2004-06-23, 8:06 PM #28
Also, if they are going to show Anikan when he was GOOD, they should of left it how it was, because the most kind and nice Anikan was right before he died, he realized how bad he had been...Teenage anikan is some angsty punk.

------------------
2004-06-23, 8:44 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MeLoN:

</font>

AGAIN. In the original RotJ, they had a different actor play Anakin's spirit than in the Special Edition RotJ

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-06-23, 8:45 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Teenage anikan is some angsty punk.

</font>

He's just a sk8rboi.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-06-23, 8:54 PM #31
I swear, if I watch RotJ and Anakin is played by Hayden, I am gonna break my frigging DVD.

------------------
2004-06-23, 9:43 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Plus Greedo's huge buggy eyes probably don't do well for his depth perception.</font>

I never thought of that, but it must be true!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
I swear, if I watch RotJ and Anakin is played by Hayden, I am gonna break my frigging DVD.</font>

Just remember to post here a photo of the broken DVD! That way I can also have my revenge without wasting my own money... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-06-23, 10:04 PM #33
Wait... I dont have the SEs, I have the boxed set that came out before the Special Editions were released.

There is another actor playing Anakin in the Special Edition than in the normal version?

I agree, if they put Hayden in RotJ I will destroy anything I have ever bought that George Lucas has made, except my Indy stuff and my games.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-24, 2:51 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
AGAIN. In the original RotJ, they had a different actor play Anakin's spirit than in the Special Edition RotJ

</font>

Actually I think Sebastian Shaw played both the spirit form and the unmasked form of Vader, all other Vader scenes were David Prowse.

------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-06-24, 11:09 AM #35
I think they should just use James Earl Jones as the spirit in the DVD version. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-24, 11:19 AM #36
The Greedo shooting first thing makes no sense. In their conversation, there is no reason for Greedo to suddenly shoot at Han Solo. Also, it makes no sense for him to miss so horribly. Also, Han Solo is more bad@$$ if he's killing people left and right. Also, I don't mind if they release the Special Edition version (as long as they fix the crap CGI) and they release the Original trilogy (maybe together, or if they are really greedy, separately).

It just makes no sense to have an Original trilogy if it's not going to be released on DVD. They already have it on VHS. I have it on VHS. I want a copy that doesn't look like @$$ after watching it a few times (DVD vs. VHS).
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-24, 11:23 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Fixed Greedo scene.</font>

This looks much better. They need to release both the Original and this new Special Edition.
2004-06-24, 11:47 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:

Actually I think Sebastian Shaw played both the spirit form and the unmasked form of Vader, all other Vader scenes were David Prowse.

</font>

except in lightsaber fights. that was the guy who coordinated sword fights for LOTR in the vader suit.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-06-24, 2:22 PM #39
Yeah I think I remember seeing him teaching Viggo to sword fight on the special features of one of the movies. I don't mind the Greedo change that much, but seeing some surfer jedi alongside Yoda and Ben irritates me.
2004-06-24, 2:39 PM #40
What's different about that Greedo scene in the link?

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!