Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DS Lite?
DS Lite?
2006-06-26, 5:02 AM #1
Should I? They look funkay. How much are they over here roughly? I get paid on Friday.

<.<
>.>
2006-06-26, 5:07 AM #2
You should. They are awesome.
2006-06-26, 5:10 AM #3
I see they are £99. This is reasonable.

/me goes looking for the DS games thread Bri made...
2006-06-26, 5:38 AM #4
What the hell is DS?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand at least half the topics on these boards because of all the acronyms used.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-26, 5:43 AM #5
The new Nintendo DSettahr, of course.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-26, 6:36 AM #6
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
What the hell is DS?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand at least half the topics on these boards because of all the acronyms used.

The Nintendo DS...Nintendo's portable? It's not an acronym really, it's the actual name (although it stands for Dual Screen, apparently).

http://media.prylfeber.se/2006/nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

Been living under a rock lately? Not a console guy? What gives?
2006-06-26, 8:05 AM #7
Info for the Mantrain.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-06-26, 8:30 AM #8
Originally posted by KnobZ2:
The Nintendo DS...Nintendo's portable? It's not an acronym really, it's the actual name (although it stands for Dual Screen, apparently).

http://media.prylfeber.se/2006/nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

Been living under a rock lately? Not a console guy? What gives?

Yeah, not a console guy.

But thanks. At least now I know what the topic's about.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-26, 8:31 AM #9
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Info for the Mantrain.[/QUOTE]
lol you wrote your own review based off of all the info in those youtube reviews :v: gg
2006-06-26, 8:34 AM #10
Actually I've owned one since release. gg. gg.

(All the info in the youtube reviews is the same info in the IGN reviews, which is the same info in any review. You can't change certain facts.)
2006-06-26, 8:39 AM #11
Cheers Vic, I'll read that tonight. :)
2006-06-26, 8:40 AM #12
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Actually I've owned one since release. gg. gg.

(All the info in the youtube reviews is the same info in the IGN reviews, which is the same info in any review. You can't change certain facts.)[/QUOTE]
Oh god, that was a whole... 15 days ago?

And I would rather read an IGN review anyway.
2006-06-26, 8:44 AM #13
Okay, I got mine a couple of days ago...so far it's not bad but WHAT THE HELL is up with the hinge being so goddamn loose? I had the same problem with my GBA SP, whose hinge has loosened up to a point where the screen tilts down to the wrong side. The Lite's hinge is already so loose it slightly tilts back and forth in movement.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-06-26, 8:47 AM #14
Jin bought himself one of those the other day, pretty nifty he says
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-26, 9:15 AM #15
Krok, the hinge on the DS Lite shouldn't be floppy, return it and get another if that's the case. It might be defective. UNLESS you're playing the DS Lite at anything less than a 165 degree angle. I got my DS Lite and did some measurments. From 0 degrees until 164 degrees the DS Lite doesn't click into place. It is still playable, but the screen moves around and flops a bunch. At about 165 degrees the DS Lite snaps into place and will not move around unless you jump all over the place, but even then it only moves further back. The DS clicks in place one more time at about 180 degrees. So if the DS is flopping all around even when it's clicked into place, it's defectice, but if it's only flopping around when it isn't tilted back, then that's normal.
2006-06-26, 9:30 AM #16
Dang, looks like I'll have to take it back for another one then.
2006-06-26, 9:36 AM #17
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]The DS clicks in place one more time at about 180 degrees.[/QUOTE]

Wait, are you saying it's ok to tilt it further after the first click?
2006-06-26, 9:40 AM #18
I think I'm gonna buy one when Final Fantasy III (and FFVI GBA) hits Finland. This far I guess I would only buy it for Phoenix Wright. :)

I wonder if it's even cheaper by FFIII's release, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-26, 9:43 AM #19
(sorry I can't find the edit button on my cellphone)

Well I just clicked it further back to about 180 degrees, and guess what, now it flops to that position from the normal position with just a minor shake!
2006-06-26, 9:44 AM #20
Right, I'm about sold: I just need a couple of games to invest in...
2006-06-26, 10:26 AM #21
Get the black version or God will smite you down. As for games--Castlevania, Animal Crossing: Wide World, and Meteos should keep you good for a while, at least.
D E A T H
2006-06-26, 10:39 AM #22
It all depends on what types of games you like.

Time wasters: Wario Ware: Touched and Meteos
Side scrollers: NEW Super Mario Brothers and Sonic Rush
Adventure: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
Shooter: Metroid Prime: Hunters and GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
Simulation: Animal Crossing: Wild World and Nintendogs
RPG: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (Did I mention Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time?)
2006-06-26, 10:46 AM #23
Goldeneye has gotten absolutely ATROCIOUS reviews and I've yet to meet a single person who has played it who thinks it's worth the money.

Mario and Luigi I hear is horrible late game--many different gameplay factors **** it up or something. As far as RPGs go, you'd be better off sticking to the GBA anyways--tried and true formulas of FF1, 2, and 4 are on there already, along with Breath of Fires 1 and 2.

To be honest, if you dislike Castlevania for the DS, you must not like gaming. It's supposedly on par with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and with how close games such as Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow got, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If you dislike meteos, then why the hell are you getting a portable? It's the most refined puzzle game in the genre, and beats Lumines in every review both from users and actual review sites that I've seen, which is a HUMONGOUS feat considering Lumines was compared to crack in its addictive potential (which it is addictive, trust me).
D E A T H
2006-06-26, 10:53 AM #24
Meteos. There will be *** kickage if you don't get it.

And get the new Tetris, it's fun, especially if you meet someone else/have a friend (I realize you aren't highschool age, but still) with a DS get some Tetris wars going.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-26, 10:59 AM #25
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi] It's the most refined puzzle game in the genre, and beats Lumines in every review both from users and actual review sites that I've seen, which is a HUMONGOUS feat considering Lumines was compared to crack in its addictive potential (which it is addictive, trust me).[/QUOTE]
wrong lol
2006-06-26, 10:59 AM #26
Goldeneye is a good game, but it isn't great. It's the 2nd place choice for Shooter games on the DS because there really aren't any other good/okay shooters other than Metroid on the DS.

I also forgot to mention Mario Kart DS, because it's the best Mario Kart game ever made and it's WiFi and it's just amazing. Go buy that as well.

Also, ignore Yoshi. Mario & Luigi : Partners In Time is amazing.
2006-06-26, 11:09 AM #27
Metroid looks damn fine - although I have reservations about fps without my trusty keyboard and mouse...

The brain thingies and final fantasies appeal too. Things I can pick up for half an hour and come back to. I looked at the mario website and it looked really jerky (although maybe that was the streaming video).

I'll have a poke round the shops and the intarweb for deals on games + system.
2006-06-26, 11:14 AM #28
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Get the black version or God will smite you down. As for games--Castlevania, Animal Crossing: Wide World, and Meteos should keep you good for a while, at least.[/QUOTE]

Sooooo tempted by the white one. I shall need some convincing of this black of which you speak... :v:
2006-06-26, 11:23 AM #29
Which Mario looked jerky? I own Mario 64 DS, Mario and Luigi, NEW Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart and all of them are SMOOOTH brutha :p

Also, the touch screen makes Metroid really easy to play. There is a learning curve, but it isn't too bad.

(BLACKDSSUX)
2006-06-26, 11:57 AM #30
Originally posted by finity5:

I trust gamespot with my game reviews about as much as I trust Friend14's physics advice :v:

[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Goldeneye is a good game, but it isn't great. It's the 2nd place choice for Shooter games on the DS because there really aren't any other good/okay shooters other than Metroid on the DS.

I also forgot to mention Mario Kart DS, because it's the best Mario Kart game ever made and it's WiFi and it's just amazing. Go buy that as well.

Also, ignore Yoshi. Mario & Luigi : Partners In Time is amazing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, ignore him instead of actually making a decent argument. I'm just relaying information I've heard from more than one source, I'm not saying it's fact. Head out of ***, please.

And I thought Mario Kart DS was all in all nothing special. I'd rather play MK64, or Double Dash even, and I really don't like double dash.

Originally posted by Martyn:
Sooooo tempted by the white one. I shall need some convincing of this black of which you speak... :v:

There's two different tones of black DS, if I remember right, and then there's the Navy Blue. The black one just looks slick. Also, saying that the black DS sucks when you've never seen on in person (victor) is pretty stupid, unless you have a friend who's into imports. Not to mention it's called OPINIONS ROFLCOPTER.

I'd look into it if I were you, I'm not sure what all colors Europe has available, but I know the US only has the white and some other crappy color.
D E A T H
2006-06-26, 12:14 PM #31
Yoshi... did you play Mario Kart DS online? It's absolutely pure gaming bliss. It's amazing.

And yes mart, you should get a DS. And you should get Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., and Metroid Prime: Hunters.

I can't give a recommendation on the castlevania game, because everywhere I've looked to buy it doesnt carry it, or is sold out, or sommat, so I havent been able to play it, though I hear it's awesome.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-26, 12:17 PM #32
I got the white one. it's fine. I love the screen, it's so bright and crisp and clear.

I can't find the castlevania game at any local store :(
2006-06-26, 1:36 PM #33
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Yoshi... did you play Mario Kart DS online? It's absolutely pure gaming bliss. It's amazing.

And yes mart, you should get a DS. And you should get Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., and Metroid Prime: Hunters.

I can't give a recommendation on the castlevania game, because everywhere I've looked to buy it doesnt carry it, or is sold out, or sommat, so I havent been able to play it, though I hear it's awesome.

Yeah, I did. It wasn't anything special. I could just as easily go over to my friend's and have him hook up the N64 and play that if I wanted to.
D E A T H
2006-06-26, 4:55 PM #34
How can one NOT like Mario Kart DS? It's a mix of all three Mario Karts with all new tracks made for the DS. It's like an ORGY of Mario Kart.

Also, I know what the color black looks like Yoshi, and I've seen pictures. It isn't hard to make an opinion on black vs. white.

OMGBLAK
2006-06-26, 4:58 PM #35
They definitely didn't produce enough copies of Castlevania. Every retail store I've been to doesn't have it, and every web site I've checked has it backordered. That's the one game I really want too, since I loved Aria of Sorrow so much.
2006-06-26, 5:14 PM #36
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]How can one NOT like Mario Kart DS? It's a mix of all three Mario Karts with all new tracks made for the DS. It's like an ORGY of Mario Kart.

Also, I know what the color black looks like Yoshi, and I've seen pictures. It isn't hard to make an opinion on black vs. white.

OMGBLAK[/QUOTE]
My friend's black DS looks quite a bit different than the pictures--most of them seem to have a somewhat brown-ish tone to them.

And I didn't say I didn't like Mario Kart DS, I just said it was...pointless. In a sense. I could get pretty much the same experience with Mario Kart 64, my favorite MK. While I certainly do like the new tracks, they're not enough to make me want to drop 30 bucks on it. Maybe 15 or 20, but not 30.
D E A T H
2006-06-26, 5:46 PM #37
Black not only looks cooler, it's more discrete, less likely to be stolen (not that iPod white), and is actually more pleasant on the eyes since it offers contrast to the material you are looking it. Same goes for any display bezel, like a monitor. It blacks out the surrounding area and lets you focus on the screen a little easier.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-26, 9:24 PM #38
I'm going for the white, importing the black DS is too expensive. Also I hear fingerprints are annoying mothers.
2006-06-26, 9:43 PM #39
Fingerprints are an issue for both colors because of the glossy finish. Well, not really an issue, but they show up.
2006-06-26, 10:03 PM #40
comeon guys, don't even bother.

try this out handheld N64
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.

↑ Up to the top!