Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is the army good?
Is the army good?
2006-06-30, 10:33 PM #41
Well, bear in mind that both Gilgamesh and I are talking about the Canadian army...possibly it's a bit different - especially as Canada is only involved in peacekeeping operations at the moment. From what I've gathered reading the recruiting web site you actually have to choose what you want to specialize in (assuming you qualify).

Quote:
What's your job in the Army?

Wookie was in Iraq. I believe he's a career soldier. Like Arnold in Commando. :P
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-30, 10:39 PM #42
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I don't usually check in but I glance at the forum from time to time to see if anybody seems to be talking about something current that I'm interested in. Army, of course, caught my eye since I'm in the US Army.

Holy ****, I forgot you even existed. :eek: Not proud of it of course.. :P
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-30, 10:40 PM #43
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Holy ****, I forgot you even existed. :eek: Not proud of it of course.. :P

I think what he's trying to say is "hello".
2006-07-01, 1:49 PM #44
Originally posted by Tracer:
Wookie was in Iraq. I believe he's a career soldier. Like Arnold in Commando. :P

Not quite like Arnold but I am still in Iraq, about nine months now. My actual specialty is Infantry but I work in the battalion headquarters so it's not like I'm on the "front line". Without going into details I can say that some of the very major events you've heard about in the past few months taking place south / southwest of Baghdad have involved my battalion and brigade and due to my current position I end up having extensive real time second person knowledge of the events (in other words I work where the guys on the ground directly report a lot of this stuff to).

If all goes well I'll be home three months from now getting to know my new son. He's six months old today (2 July 06).
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2006-07-01, 2:17 PM #45
especially as Canada is only involved in peacekeeping operations at the moment.

Peacekeeping? You think fighting Al Quada terrorists is peacekeeping?
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-01, 8:09 PM #46
Yeah, it might be more appropriate to call the operations in Southern Afghanistan now peacemaking, instead of peacekeeping, but I still believe that the only the regular members get mandatory service. At least I'm 95% sure.
2006-07-01, 8:28 PM #47
Well, I don't really want to debate the word 'peacekeeping'...I was mainly using it in the context that troops are deployed but it's not a war.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-01, 8:28 PM #48
**** no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-01, 8:45 PM #49
Well, I don't really want to debate the word 'peacekeeping'...I was mainly using it in the context that troops are deployed but it's not a war.

It's not a conventional war, but what is these days, eh? ;) .

The casualties have certainly risen with the recent activity in Khandahar, but yeah, it's still nothing like the "war" in Iraq. Hopefully the handover to the UN will help to ease the insurgency some in the coming months.
2006-07-03, 7:30 PM #50
Originally posted by Wookie06:
If you are considering the US Army then ensure that you plan to go to war no matter whether you sign for part or full time or what job you sign up for. I don't remember where you live. Also, there is no such thing as a watered down version of basic training in the US Army.

Perhaps thats why it is called... dare I say it? BASIC training? Anyways, I don't know much about the military, but it seems like its a good way to go, depending on who you are. It would be more fun than many jobs, I am afraid of a desk job (which is where I'll probably end up) because I am too much of an outdoorsy, sports playing guy but I am reasonably smart (or at least I like to think of myself that way, but I have my good moments and bad moments, like everyone) and into technology. Hopefully I can find an exciting job that encompasses all my favorite things when I get out of college...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-07-04, 4:02 AM #51
What they're doing in Iraq is called "peace enforcement" in UN terms, I believe.
Peace keeping is what they do in Kosovo or Liberia.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-07-04, 10:18 AM #52
dont go into the army. I know I almost did. both my mom and dad freaked out on me. At first I figured maybe it was because I"m a girl, but it's mostly that the Army are the ones that get all the action and normally see the most casualties. Not that other factions of the military dont have casualities but the army men/women are normally out there doing most of the face to face stuff.

if you really have to go in, go into the Air Force, like my cousin did or just some other part. Trust me, my father was a Major in the Army
2006-07-04, 10:49 AM #53
Originally posted by Seb:
and of course the overabundance of songs to pick out. i don't doubt you can do that, but it's really something you have or not. if you teach just to make money until you "make it" well you're probably going to be harming your students in the long run.

What, you've never seen Mr. Holland's Opus? :P
2006-07-04, 1:00 PM #54
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
dont go into the army. I know I almost did. both my mom and dad freaked out on me. At first I figured maybe it was because I"m a girl, but it's mostly that the Army are the ones that get all the action and normally see the most casualties. Not that other factions of the military dont have casualities but the army men/women are normally out there doing most of the face to face stuff.

if you really have to go in, go into the Air Force, like my cousin did or just some other part. Trust me, my father was a Major in the Army

He's talking about the Canadian Army so your father's experience would be irrelevant with regard to his question. Also, each branch has pros and cons and one person's pro is another person's con. In other words, some people might dislike the USAF for the same reason you might prefer it. It's all a matter of individual preference.

[QUOTE=Double Helix]Perhaps thats why it is called... dare I say it? BASIC training? [/QUOTE]

Just curious how that was in response to my post.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2006-07-04, 9:25 PM #55
No time for a full post, but as a reply to Wookie06:
I think he was referencing when you said "There's no such thing as a watered down version of basic training." As in Basic training is basic, and that's as.. well.. basic.. as it gets.

(He was agreeing with you. :p)
Don't call me,
Call him.
2006-07-05, 2:46 PM #56
DAMNIT! I posted as my dad again.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!