Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom Teeth
2006-07-01, 10:29 PM #1
Who's had them removed and what were your experiances

Who has them and hasnt taken them out

Discuss

Im trying to get them out asap because the one that's in my lower left jaw (although its been out of the gums for a bit) its hurting so badly and causing me earaches in that ear...

anywho im just curious as to those who've had them taken out, what was it like. I hear various things, so I guess it just depends on the person, but still I'd like to hear your stories...(or read them)
2006-07-01, 10:37 PM #2
It's nothing to worry about. You'll be asleep during the thing. The drugs will make you act funny, then they'll wear off. For example, my mother (who drove me home after the operation) told me I just wouldn't STFU for like 2 hours after the operation. But the thing is, I don't remember those two hours -- at all. The other things is -- I hardly ever talk. Kinda funny.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-01, 10:38 PM #3
I have two wisdom teeth, but they don't need removal.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-07-01, 10:52 PM #4
I have four. They don't hurt at all. Just regular teeth that you gotta get way in there to clean.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-01, 11:00 PM #5
Same for me, but I have three.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-01, 11:12 PM #6
yeah Freelancer I hear ya. I just heard it hurts afterwards and you have to take pain pills, but im still thinking it will feel so much better once they are out.

The bottom two def. have to come out, and we are just going to take the tops ones out since they are impacted. They arent through the gums but hey since they will be operating

Right now my family and I (im on my dad's insurance) are looking for a place that covers it as both dental and medical (since its a surgery) they did that for my older sister back when she had hers removed, so hopefully we can do that. Until then I have to wait, but hopefully it will be soon. I want these suckers out
2006-07-01, 11:14 PM #7
The time it takes your mouth to heal varies greatly from person to person. If I remember correctly, Roach was up an at 'em after only a day or something whereas I was knocked out for the greater part of a week. But I hate taking pills so I didn't take my pain medication. :P Maybe that was it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-01, 11:24 PM #8
Originally posted by Freelancer:
The time it takes your mouth to heal varies greatly from person to person. If I remember correctly, Roach was up an at 'em after only a day or something whereas I was knocked out for the greater part of a week. But I hate taking pills so I didn't take my pain medication. :P Maybe that was it.

whenever I get them pulled i'll post on massassi, you know how you said you were talking a lot. i'll be all like "hey massassi, I feel greeaaattt...woo! lol thanks for the heads up.

knowing me though it will prob. take a week, especially since I'll have all four out, but who knows hehe
2006-07-02, 3:20 AM #9
I've got four that haven't come through properly, I think.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-07-02, 3:21 AM #10
I don't think I have wisdom teeth. And perhaps I won't have. I still have one crooked teeth, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-02, 3:42 AM #11
I've got one at the back-left of my lower jaw, but it doesn't need to come out (apparently). I only say apparently because it can hurt from time to time, usually when eating.
2006-07-02, 3:48 AM #12
I have all four wisdom teeth, and as I'm 26, have had them for years now. I've never had any problems with them (knock on wood).
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2006-07-02, 4:20 AM #13
As with any operation things can go wrong, it's possible to lose all feeling in your mouth permantley but thats rare.
When I first got mine they hurt like hell but after a while the pain went and now their fine, mind you, bottom two don't seem to be fully out yet.
2006-07-02, 4:46 AM #14
How old were you guys when you had them taken out?

Mine were already all the way in at 16. The only reason they had to come out is because they might have messed up what my braces have done. :( Poor teeth.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-02, 6:11 AM #15
I'm one of the older guys here, and I still have all of mine.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-07-02, 8:34 AM #16
mine are impacting and i can barely get floss between my teeth... i would go get them removed but my friend )who is also over here) did before me and they didn't give him pain killer and left the holes where they removed them wide open with no sticthes so i am waiting til i get back to US to get mine removed...
2006-07-02, 9:06 AM #17
I had 4 removed and I ended up being one of the lucky ones(up the next day and didn't need any pain medication).
No sig.
2006-07-02, 9:09 AM #18
I had mine removed when I was still in high school. 17 IIRC. I don't know that I exactly needed it, but the orthodontist recommended it, so I went ahead and had it done. The drugs made me really sleepy, and that was about it. I was at school the next day, though I did stop by the surgeon's office to have the holes packed with medication before going. All in all, it took me about a week to recover to where I didn't feel any more pain and where I could drink from a straw and so on.

You won't be able to drink from a straw for about a week because the vacuum will make the holes bleed. Be prepared to eat mostly soft food for the next couple of days too (I had soft tacos for dinner that night, so it wasn't terribly bad, but it depends from person to person). Also, depending on how your body reacts, your cheeks may swell up. Mine weren't bad, but a girl at work that had hers removed had her cheeks swell to at least 1 [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub] times their original size. She could still work, but was labelled chipmunk for a couple of days until the swelling went down.

The pills and getting the holes packed are the best way to deal with the pain. Beware of dry socket, as I hear that's a nasty condition to get.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-02, 10:01 AM #19
I had four removed last year, a few weeks after my 16th birthday. It wasn't that bad. Just do everything they tell you to do post-surgery, and you'll be fine.
2006-07-02, 10:08 AM #20
I had a terrible experience, maybe I'm just unlucky.

I had to get all four removed at the same time (I wasn't in any pain from them, but apparently they were shifting the positions of my teeth since they were impacted, and I had already had braces to make my teeth straight, so un-doing all that work wasn't a good plan). The operation itself was fine, I was put right out and don't remember a thing. I had a ton of swelling though, and was in quite a bit of pain (I have a feeling looking back that the pain meds they gave me weren't good enough, because everyone else I've talked to said they helped a ton, whereas mine seemed to do nothing). I was out of action for about a week, and once I was finally up and running again my mom noticed the side of my face was swelled (it had previously gone down). Apparently one of my sockets had become infected, so I had to go to the ER and have them cut it open again and drain it. Another few days later I was fine and have been since.

But like everyone said, it varies from person to person. My best friend just got his out recently, similar situation to mine (all 4 impacted, out at the same time), and he was up and playing golf like the next day (yes, I was jealous).
2006-07-02, 10:17 AM #21
I had mine removed about two years ago, all four completely impacted. Unfortunately, I couldn't tolerate the pain meds (I threw up after my first dose, which felt wonderful with all those wounds) so I was down and out for about a week.
2006-07-02, 10:39 AM #22
When I had mine out at 15, I didn't get to sleep. All I got was a local. And my dentist was in the mall. So afterwards, I went shopping. With bloddy cotton hanging off my numb jaw. And then my mother took me to my grandmother's house, because I couldn't go to school and I didn't want to stay home alone in unbearable pain, and I while I was there moaning, I ate my gransmother's home made noodles and watched 18 hours of television a day. There was this crappy show I saw once on CN that I didn't get and just looked dumb called 'DBZ', and CN had a marathon of it the day after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. And I watched it. All of it. While high on Vic!
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-07-02, 11:00 AM #23
I had SIX wisdom teeth pulled out last November. I had two on top and two on the bottom and then an EXTRA set on the bottom beneath the first set. That really sucked. I chose to just use the laughing gas and local anesthetic, because I don't really trust getting totally knocked out. I got myself all worried and worked up the night before and couldn't sleep, but once the surgery started, it really wasn't that bad. I took a little over an hour, because mine was complicated by the fact that some nerves were coiled around the extra set on the bottom, so the surgeon had to be extra careful. But anyway, the surgery itself wasn't bad at all, but the after effects sucked. My face was swollen pretty bad for about three or four days, and it took about 6 hours for the numbness in my face to go away after the surgery, but after a week, it was just a bad memory, and I was definitely happy I got it over with.

But my advice is to get them all out at once so it's all over with. It might seem more traumatic, but it's gonna suck no matter what, so I'd personally rather just get it all done in big event and then have it all done with for the rest of your life.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2006-07-02, 11:42 AM #24
I didn't have a bad time at all with my wisdom teeth. I didn't want to go under, so they just gave me a shot and some laughing gas and went at em. After they were sure I was okay, they let me drive home. I took one pain killer and decided I was never going to do that again. I went to class the next day with gauze in my mouth. In the end, I kind of thought it was a fun expereince though it did offset a problem with my jaw. Apparently my jaw is aligned wrong and they just missed it in the x-rays. I have a high pain tolerance, so I'm not bothered by it too much. (Btw...I don't think the denist I went to for this is really all that great. >_>)

Oh yeah...I had just turned 16 when this happened.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-07-02, 12:03 PM #25
I had them taken out over a year ago. All I remember saying was "How long does it take?" and then saying after waking up "Wow... there's two of me!".
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-02, 12:12 PM #26
I got mine out in November. It was okay. The gas took forever to work but eventually I woke up with crappy-flavored-cottan-rip-off-pads C.F.C.R.O.P for short. Anyway. It was all pretty smooth. I had all four of mine out. The two bottom ones were impacted. But I was eating solid food the next day. ;)
My blawgh.
2006-07-02, 12:26 PM #27
I had frickin' SEVEN wisdom teeth. Some defect in my mouth... that sucked. And BoricuaDelight, I hope you like mashed potatoes and apple sauce.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-07-02, 1:00 PM #28
I had all four taken out at the same time, and they were all impacted as well. They gave me plenty of pain meds, but I ended up hardly taking any at all because they made me feel all hungover and sluggish. I think they hyperextended my jaw, though, because since then I've developed the ability to pop it in and out of its socket at will.

Instant mashed potatoes will become your best friend.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2006-07-02, 1:20 PM #29
Getting my wisdom teeth out was great. I got all four out, was knocked out during the thing. Woke up in my bed, and I didn't hurt at all. I was really tired, and of course I couldn't just plop in a steak and open my mouth wide, but I felt just fine. Got to sit in my bed and watch some TV for a couple days and miss work :)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-07-02, 1:28 PM #30
I still have my wisdom teeth. Hopefully it'll be that way for a while yet ;)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-02, 1:51 PM #31
Ahh I feel bad for those who had 6 and 7 teeth bah! and the nerve coiled around the tooth! ehh

oh and the infection blech! hehe

Yeah im semi creeped out, semi just want it over with. Hopefully after the 4th when all the dentists get back we can make an appt.

As far as the food, my sister gave me a heads up. she was like "get ready to have lots of ice cream!" which btw im totallyyyy cool with lol

As far as my cheeks swelling, im almost positive it will happen to me. My sisters cheeks puffed a bit, but why I say I think mine will swell is because they are a little swollen right now. When I open my mouth and look back by my wisdom teeth the area right by on my cheeks is swollen a bit

My sister did do something to gross me out back in the day. She like called me into the bathroom and I was like "what" and she was like "look I have to clean out the holes" and it had like food inside. blech, i got the chills it looked so sick. I mentioned that to her recently and she was like "yeah I prob. just did that to gross you out" and I was like "well it worked because I never forgot it" lol
2006-07-02, 3:46 PM #32
I still have all four of mine. My dentist hasn't said anything about having them out, so they'll stay right where they are for now.
2006-07-02, 6:46 PM #33
I had three out in the fall. Two of them were impacted, and I got the third out just for kicks.

They gave me a couple minutes of oxygen, then some IV cocktail that was "the equivalent of having 12 beers." I don't remember the operation at all, and only vaguely recall being in the recovery room. There were no holes, only a little swelling for a couple days, almost no pain, and I was on solid food right away.
2006-07-03, 11:56 AM #34
Only one of mine has properly come through, but it was impacted. A few months ago, it just started really aching, until I couldn't eat on the right side of my mouth or open that wide. Someone recommended clove oil as an anaesthetic, which does work, but my god it's disgusting. I made an emergency appointment at the dentist, he gave me an x-ray and said that I had short roots, which is not generally a good thing, but meant that it would be really simple to take it out. I went back a couple of days later, just had the local anaesthetic. But the actual taking out the tooth was freaking weird. I could hear this crunchy noise echoing around my head, and all I could think was "this really isn't a sound that I should be able to hear internally" - it made me giggle quite alot, it was just so surreal. I bled all night, which was quite distressing, but it only took a day to get over it completely. Didn't need to eat yoghurt/ice-cream, just well cooked pasta and soft fruit and stuff. And I still have a hole, which still gets food stuck in it all the time, but atleast now I can suck it back out without having to worry about dislodging the clot.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-07-03, 12:08 PM #35
Originally posted by maevie:
he [...] said that I had short roots

Did you slap him for that?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-07-03, 1:00 PM #36
ehh the hole never closed? is that right?

for those of you who had them out, who else has that happened too...or have the rest of you who had teeth extracted, did your gums heal fine and the hole closed up correctly....
2006-07-03, 2:05 PM #37
mine took over two weeks to heal, but thats cause i got an infection.

and i was taking pain pills for the better part of a month.

its been almost 2 years now i think, and i STILL have goddamn holes in my mouth. well they're actually more indentations, but its a pain in the arse when stuff gets stuck in there.

i remember like 2 months after surgery, i ate some peanuts and a half of one got caught in one of the holes, they were deeper then, you see. even with toothpicks it took a couple hours to get the thing out.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-07-03, 2:20 PM #38
Yep, mine healed up real nicely. Just keep the holes clear of food, ask your surgeon the best way of doing that. They'll probably give you little pamphlets that tell you all about it. You'll probably want to use a mild, alcohol free mouthwash to help keep things clean.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-03, 3:06 PM #39
I had mine out a few weeks ago. Four impacted.

They knocked me out and I woke up and hallucinated for a while. I had a milkshake (no straw, of course, dry socket is supposed to be TERRIBLE) for dinner that night, and steak the next. Then I went to band camp.

Not that bad. A little swelled up, a little sore, but nothing bad. I did take a lot of drugs though.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-07-03, 4:16 PM #40
yeh, had mine out on Sept. 11th (same day as the terrorist attacks). Oddly enough, they went to knock me out, they put an IV in my arm. I'm thinking everything's cool, and then I start feeling really weird. They run in and are freaking out and stuff. Turns out my heart rate dropped really bad, like I had some kind of reaction to the drugs. So then they decide to give me a smaller dose of the medication and watch me for a bit to see what happened, and apparently that went fine, except that about halfway through the operation while the doctor was tugging on one of my teeth, I kind of half woke up and I remember it. I felt this really firm tugging, and I tried to sit up (it didn't hurt, but it was rather unpleasant) and the nurse pushed me back down. Then the next thing I knew I was sitting in this chair (apparently they had led me over to it and I'd sat down on my own) and then my mom came in and drove me home. I spent the next 3 days watching 9/11 coverage. Felt pretty queasy and lethargic from the medication (hydrocodone), but as long as I didn't try to get up I was ok.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!