Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Getting rid of cats...
Getting rid of cats...
2006-07-05, 11:44 AM #1
Me and my dad have been trying to think of a way to rid of/exerminate the cats that come into our garden and poop/kill the birds.

Any ideas?

the two we've had is to cover all the fences in anti-climb-paint or to leave out little bits of sponge covered in gravy.

Is there any other solutions that stop the cats from entering the garden, whilst allowing the birds to roam free?
2006-07-05, 11:47 AM #2
Mustard gas?

:ninja:

Cats > birds
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-07-05, 11:47 AM #3
get a dog.

:p
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-07-05, 11:50 AM #4
i was thinking of getting one of those high power catapults to fire stones at their heads or something, i just need something that makes sure they never come back to this garden again, dont care how, i just dont wanna see the cats here again.

I hear anti-climb-paint is good because it pisses them off when they walk in it, and when they lick it off, it makes them sick.
2006-07-05, 11:52 AM #5
water gun, squirt em out
2006-07-05, 11:52 AM #6
For something quick until you think of something better, you can get a couple of 2l coke bottles and fill them with water, then you just place them upright in the garden. For some reason the cats stay the hell away from them.
nope.
2006-07-05, 11:57 AM #7
you could also see if there's some kind of device that makes a high-pitched sound to keep them away, or some kind of spray that produces a smell the cats don't like.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-07-05, 12:03 PM #8
my dad just came up with a good idea.

all you need is a spring, a barrel and bait.

you fill the barrel with water, give it a spring lid and hang the bait over the barrel.

TRAPDOOR!

yeah he learned that one from his friends on the alotments.

sarn: i dont know about audio devices, but i know that theres some stuff we tried that gave off a scent that cats hated... it drove the birds away too.
2006-07-05, 12:37 PM #9
I thought of someone's sig that said something about shooting a pellet between the eyes of a cat that was going through his garden. It ended with "I think I'll leave it's body as a warning to all the other cats"

Who was that? :confused:
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-05, 12:54 PM #10
i cant believe no one said it yet.

but... kill it with fire?
Pie.
2006-07-05, 12:55 PM #11
You can always plant or place some catnip in a far off area away from the garden. That should deter them.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-05, 12:56 PM #12
Spe. You must kill the neighbors' cats. That will make them love you. Anyway, you know what cats hate? Jurassic Park. And loud noises. Maybe you should yell at them. Or, instead of shooting rocks at their heads, you should shoot rocks at their bodies. We used to have a dog problem until my mom used a slingshot and yelled at them. Now they just bark at us from their house. I dunno how it would work with cats since they're more fragile and more likely to be killed/injured if you throw rocks at them.
2006-07-05, 12:56 PM #13
[http://bluemancrew.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/98far.jpg]

:psyduck:

We used to have a cat problem and my M4 airsoft gun worked great too.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-07-05, 12:58 PM #14
Eat them spe, its your speciality.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-05, 1:01 PM #15
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
you could also see if there's some kind of device that makes a high-pitched sound to keep them away, or some kind of spray that produces a smell the cats don't like.

Well the noise thing is okay if you can't hear it. For those of us who can, it's really really irritating. It's a high pitched whine that varies from high pitch till it leaves your hearing range and then pops back in again.

I'd buy a supersoaker and have a laugh.
2006-07-05, 1:11 PM #16
Originally posted by Recusant:
Well the noise thing is okay if you can't hear it. For those of us who can, it's really really irritating. It's a high pitched whine that varies from high pitch till it leaves your hearing range and then pops back in again.

Exactly what I was thinking. My right ear hears higher-then-normal pitch ranges and my left ear hears lower-then-normal pitch ranges. The high pitch whines especially give me a migrain.

Supersoaker FTW!
"The solution is simple."
2006-07-05, 1:12 PM #17
http://www.glenncampbellphoto.com/bm/squirtgun.girl.html
2006-07-05, 1:12 PM #18
one word

landmines.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-05, 6:37 PM #19
You can also get a pregnant cat and leave her in the garden. Pregnants cats are FREAKING PSYCHO AS LIVING HELL when it comes to other cats. There's a pregnant cat that made our yard her home recently and man.... she's scary. She's extremely affection towards humans but when sees one of our cats... she attacks them without provoktion and chases them all other the yard until we intervene and stop her. We haven't let our cats outside ever since. Hopefully that damn cat will give birth soon and go away so our cats can leave in peace once again.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-05, 6:39 PM #20

even better. You can Recusant away too.

:p

2006-07-05, 7:27 PM #21
:ninja: (runs to the store and buys a high-pitch eminating device and attachs it to the Massassi server, so that when you logon you get a very "high-pitched" greeting through your speakers) There, that should get rid of your annoying little problem. ;)
2006-07-05, 8:40 PM #22
Dig trenches around the fences on the inside

Pikes in the trench.

Cover in grass.
2006-07-05, 8:42 PM #23
Rob, You sadden me. You sadden me very much.
2006-07-05, 8:51 PM #24
Slug's just jealous of Rob's superior idea skills.

I'm more of a dog person myself anyway...
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-05, 9:01 PM #25
Eat them.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-05, 9:02 PM #26
Originally posted by genk:
one word

landmines.

$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-06, 6:53 AM #27

I hate those things. When I used to have a paper round there was this house that had one on the front of their house, and whenever I had to deliverthe paper it gave me such a sore head, just by being near it for a second or two.

I hate that house.
nope.
2006-07-06, 7:20 AM #28
How can you even seriously think about killing them! That's just so cruel. Imagine that little kiddie wondering where his beloved pet is... :(

It saddens me to see that so many people here don't have any problems with cruelty against animals. Where I come from, it is absolutely not tolerated, especially where it concerns domesticated animals like cats and dogs.

Cats come in gardens. They kill birds. They poop. So what! It's what they do. How can you kill a living being that is not even yours to begin with?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-06, 8:00 AM #29
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
How can you even seriously think about killing them! That's just so cruel. Imagine that little kiddie wondering where his beloved pet is... :(

It saddens me to see that so many people here don't have any problems with cruelty against animals. Where I come from, it is absolutely not tolerated, especially where it concerns domesticated animals like cats and dogs.

Cats come in gardens. They kill birds. They poop. So what! It's what they do. How can you kill a living being that is not even yours to begin with?

That's what I was thinking but I didn't put it quite so bluntly. Nothing wrong with that though. Good for you I say. ;)
2006-07-06, 8:19 AM #30
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Eat them.

This man has ideas!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-06, 8:28 AM #31
Originally posted by Uberslug:
That's what I was thinking but I didn't put it quite so bluntly. Nothing wrong with that though. Good for you I say. ;)

Yeah, we Dutch are known for our blunts... erm ...bluntness! :ninja:
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-06, 8:37 AM #32
We had a bunch of cats using our landscaping as a litterbox, and after nearly giving up on getting rid of them, I bought a couple of really large containers of cayanne pepper and put it all around our landscaping. They don't seem to like it and now they stay out of our stuff. :)
You can also buy wolf pee at your local feed store and do the same thing.

I'd love to shoot all of those cats (the 80-some-odd-year-old lady next door literally has around 25 cats), but there are laws against killing domesticated pets in our town. The cayanne pepper worked fine instead.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-07-06, 8:39 AM #33
Cats are spawn of satan. The only way you can kill them is with holy water.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-07-06, 10:13 AM #34
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Cats are spawn of satan. The only way you can kill them is with holy water.

There was something in Constantine, where Keanu Reeves took a cat and stared into its eyes, because that was how he got down to hell, or something :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-06, 3:32 PM #35
A strong disinfectant - my cat runs a mile when I'm cleaning the kitchen with it, and he justs sits in the laundry room looking threateningly at it... then he backs off further when I start cleaning the floor in there too :) so mean!

But how you'd apply it in the garden I don't know. I have a couple of final ideas - some cats are afraid of their reflection (although not mine, he just cutely tries to look around the mirror you hold up at him). On the off chance these are you could:

1) Put some old CDs face up in the soil in your garden - a friend who lives on a farm does this with AOL CDs to scare the birds :)

2) Cut the top off a soda bottle, leaving the cap screwed on, and fill it with water, burying the whole contraption in the soil and remembering to refill the water every few days. Meant to have the same effect, plus the cat gets wet if it tries to go for its relfection, which it won't like. I know we used to do this long ago and it worked relatively well.

They also do gadgets that are meant to emit sounds that cats don't like, but I for one know of no such noise neither do I believe such gadgets (expensive as they are) work that well. Any anti-climb paint is useless. My cat regularly jumps 7 foot from floor to wardrobe top in the house, and if pressed a cat can jump a little higher still and scrabble the rest, but I really doubt your fences are 8-10 feet high are they?
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2006-07-06, 3:34 PM #36
:rolleyes: Hello, this is what guns are for...
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-06, 7:43 PM #37
gee, its along the top of the fence they use to come into the garden.

the people next door put spikes along the top of theirs for a few feet and it blocks them in their tracks.

and Jos.... i just dont like the little bastards, if i owned one, i wouldnt mind cleaning its **** up, i'd probablys think it was "cute" when it dragged a carcass into my lawn, but as it stands, i want rid of the little ****s.
2006-07-06, 8:01 PM #38
ANTICAT WALL

[http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9732/cattrap8qc.jpg]
2006-07-06, 8:09 PM #39
Uberslug wins.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-07-06, 8:10 PM #40
Hooray!

↑ Up to the top!