Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fahrenheit 9/11
Fahrenheit 9/11
2004-06-24, 5:05 AM #121
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Char, you're stretching so far I'm shocked your mind hasn't snapped from the strain. In the absence of any evidence of any WMDs, cooperation between al Qaeda and Iraq, or even US intelligence suggesting Iraqi terrorist threats...</font>

No WMDs? David Kay's report says otherwise. There was quite a bit of evidence pointing towards active programs. Heck, he even was trying to buy a missle SYSTEM from Kim Jong-Il in 2002! (an illegal one, at that)

But wait! No WMDs have been found! We're outraged! Bush says they were moved. Bush is lying to cover his tail and focus the targets on another Arab nation! The humanity.

No. The United Nations seems to think he moved them too. Or is the UN lying to cover for Bush now too? Also, if the UN is right, isn't it interesting that he was willing to proliferate such WMDs? If he was willing to proliferate them,I wonder where else he was willing to put them. Palestine, perhaps? Kill a few Israelis? Terrorist groups? Kill a few Americans? There's still the little problem with Saddam vowing publicly that 9-11 was the first in a wave of vengeance.

Also, Saddam offered quite a few terrorists shelter. Zarqawi, for example. Yassin, for example. Hell, here's an excerpt from an article that may have been quoted on this page.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Moore asserts that Iraq under Saddam had never attacked or killed or even threatened (his words) any American. I never quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would be humanly possible. Baghdad was for years the official, undisguised home address of Abu Nidal, then the most-wanted gangster in the world, who had been sentenced to death even by the PLO and had blown up airports in Vienna* and Rome. Baghdad was the safe house for the man whose "operation" murdered Leon Klinghoffer. Saddam boasted publicly of his financial sponsorship of suicide bombers in Israel. (Quite a few Americans of all denominations walk the streets of Jerusalem.) In 1991, a large number of Western hostages were taken by the hideous Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and held in terrible conditions for a long time. After that same invasion was repelled—Saddam having killed quite a few Americans and Egyptians and Syrians and Brits in the meantime and having threatened to kill many more—the Iraqi secret police were caught trying to murder former President Bush during his visit to Kuwait. Never mind whether his son should take that personally. (Though why should he not?) Should you and I not resent any foreign dictatorship that attempts to kill one of our retired chief executives? (President Clinton certainly took it that way: He ordered the destruction by cruise missiles of the Baathist "security" headquarters.) Iraqi forces fired, every day, for 10 years, on the aircraft that patrolled the no-fly zones and staved off further genocide in the north and south of the country. In 1993, a certain Mr. Yasin helped mix the chemicals for the bomb at the World Trade Center and then skipped to Iraq, where he remained a guest of the state until the overthrow of Saddam. In 2001, Saddam's regime was the only one in the region that openly celebrated the attacks on New York and Washington and described them as just the beginning of a larger revenge. Its official media regularly spewed out a stream of anti-Semitic incitement. I think one might describe that as "threatening," even if one was narrow enough to think that anti-Semitism only menaces Jews. And it was after, and not before, the 9/11 attacks that Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi moved from Afghanistan to Baghdad and began to plan his now very open and lethal design for a holy and ethnic civil war. On Dec. 1, 2003, the New York Times reported—and the David Kay report had established—that Saddam had been secretly negotiating with the "Dear Leader" Kim Jong-il in a series of secret meetings in Syria, as late as the spring of 2003, to buy a North Korean missile system, and missile-production system, right off the shelf.</font>

Saddam says: "9-11 rocks, and there's more to come, hyuck hyuck!" That alone would, if I were President, be enough for me to look at it like a threat from a foreign leader. He's promising more slaughters. Does he know something's up? Is he planning something himself? Or should we just ignore it and let something else happen?

(This 9-11 Report *still* doesn't contradict the President.)

[This message has been edited by Charoziak (edited June 24, 2004).]

Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-06-24, 5:28 AM #122
Great. We've already entered the endgame. This is where I ask for specific examples with reputable support and you slink away without answering.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No WMDs? [url]David Kay's report[/url] says otherwise.</font>
Prove it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Heck, he even was trying to buy a missle SYSTEM from Kim Jong-Il in 2002! (an illegal one, at that)</font>
Prove it.

The World Tribune is not reputable. Find another source.

I have to get to work.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 5:44 AM #123
I'm slinking away? I provided a link to the full text of a statement BY Dr. Kay. If that isn't specific or genuine enough...

World Tribune not credible, eh? How about the United Nations report itself. Or analysis of the report by Rob Martin. Granted, it's on the GOP site - but read it. It quotes some very interesting sources.

I don't make claims I can't back up, bud.

2004-06-24, 6:11 AM #124
Time to compare and contrast. First, you:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No WMDs? David Kay's report says otherwise.</font>
Kay in 2003:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We have not yet found stocks of weapons, but we are not yet at the point where we can say definitively either that such weapon stocks do not exist or that they existed before the war and our only task is to find where they have gone.</font>
Kay in 2004:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"I don't think they existed. What everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the last Gulf War, and I don't think there was a large-scale production program in the '90s."
"I think we have found probably 85 percent of what we're going to find."
"I think the best evidence is that they did not resume large-scale production and that's what we're really talking about."</font>

You lose.
2004-06-24, 6:17 AM #125
Way to read the whole thing.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We have discovered dozens of WMD-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations during the inspections that began in late 2002.</font>

He goes on to list several dozen specific examples of things that are evidence of WMD presence and concealment.

Also, the first quote suggests there is the clear possibility they are still there. The second is Kay's personal opinion - not a report's conclusion of any kind.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, that quote is from early 2004? There have been quite a few developments since then.

Oh, and by the way -

UN in 2003 - No WMDs! Yar!
UN in 2004 - Had 'em, hid 'em, and moved 'em.

2004-06-24, 6:36 AM #126
Char, in that quote, he said that there were activities and supplies related to WMD, but he didn't say that there were actually WMD.

------------------
The Editor of bad levels such as:

Battle Ground Oasis The Forgotten Tomb
Office Building Arena
SpacePort Oasis
Wookie Camp
Fade to Black
Thriving Desert
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2004-06-24, 6:38 AM #127
To add, I'm gonna use an example. According to that quote, it's like your parents searching your room for an adult film star, but all they find is adult reading materials.

------------------
The Editor of bad levels such as:

Battle Ground Oasis The Forgotten Tomb
Office Building Arena
SpacePort Oasis
Wookie Camp
Fade to Black
Thriving Desert
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2004-06-24, 6:52 AM #128
I'm talking in terms of rationale when I deal with Kay. There was *plenty* of evidence that there were active programs and whatnot. Because we didn't find but a few chem weapon warheads, Kay figures there aren't any weapons in Iraq.

That was early 2004. Fastfoward to the present. New information provided by the UN suggests that all that evidence was right, and the conclusion of the UN is that there were either a)active programs or b)stockpiles that were all dismantled and evacuated.

Kay provides the evidence. The UN adds their own information, connects the dots, and concludes that we may have been right.

------------------
2004-06-24, 7:14 AM #129
Weapons programmes are not what Britain and America went to war for.

Britain and America invaded because Iraq was a direct and imminent threat. The justification was that Iraq could attack within hours, not that Iraq had programmes that would be completed within years. You don't need to carpet bomb Iraq to shut down programmes.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-06-24, 7:57 AM #130
We didn't carpet bomb Iraq. We carpet bombed Afganistan.

------------------
2004-06-24, 8:35 AM #131

it's PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-06-24, 8:43 AM #132
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Weapons programmes are not what Britain and America went to war for.

Britain and America invaded because Iraq was a direct and imminent threat. The justification was that Iraq could attack within hours, not that Iraq had programmes that would be completed within years. You don't need to carpet bomb Iraq to shut down programmes.
</font>

That's wrong. North Korea is also a direct and "imminent" threat. Moreso than Iraq ever was, if you want my personal opinion. I still honestly have no idea whatsoever why we invaded Iraq, to this day.

WMDs? Obviously not. To "liberate" the Iraqi people? Don't be silly. Most of them could care less whether Saddam was still in power or not, and for solely the reason of "liberation", why didn't we choose to "liberate" the other countries of the world in need of it? Oil? No.. why are my gas prices 20 cents higher than normal again?

This leaves only one possible reason - Bush's hidden agenda. Well, make that two. Revenge for 9/11 taekn out on a totally unrelated party. I understand the frustration of being attacked by a phantom enemy who we can't strike back against - but good god, you don't need to take out the frustration on someone who had nothing to do with it. That's my theory, anyway. Again, I honsetly can't think of a legitimate reason to do what we did. If anyone can enlighten me, please, by all means.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-24, 9:03 AM #133
Char:
1. You still haven't provided evidence that the UN believes that Hussein moved his alleged WMDs. I'm not here to do your research for you. Read the PDF you linked to and find and quote the relevent paragraphs.

2. You still haven't provided a reputable source to back your claim that Hussein's government harbored terrorists that threatened the United States. Op-eds don't cut it.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">He goes on to list several dozen specific examples of things that are evidence of WMD presence and concealment.</font>
The proof is in the pudding. There have been no WMDs or WMD programs found in Iraq.

The administration has claimed numerous times that al Qaeda and Iraq had a collaberative relationship, something the 9/11 commission flatly denies.
2004-06-24, 10:09 AM #134
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
That's wrong. North Korea is also a direct and "imminent" threat. Moreso than Iraq ever was, if you want my personal opinion. I still honestly have no idea whatsoever why we invaded Iraq, to this day.

</font>

Bear in mind that when I say "Britain and America went to war with Iraq because Iraq was an imminent threat" I am saying that that was their reason given. I was sort of being ironic, as I think it's perfectly clear that Iraq posed no more threat to the US than Canada does. Weapons programmes are not a threat, not one deserving of military action at least.
And yes, as I think I pointed out before, North Korea possibly have nuclear weapons and claim to be quite willing to use them. I would like to add, though, that Washington produced an estimate that if war was declared with North Korea there would be one million casulties in the first 24 hours. I think there's more pressure to be diplomatic with North Korea than there was with Iraq. Military action against North Korea could have huge implications, especially if North Korea lob a nuclear missile at South Korea or Japan, and even moreso if China support North Korea. The latter I think is probably unlikely, but ultimately possible. There was never really any doubt that Iraq would pose resistance, and the Ba'ath party didn't have any allies.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
WMDs? Obviously not. To "liberate" the Iraqi people?
</font>

Yes. I think this issue has been discussed.

Quote:
Don't be silly. Most of them could care less whether Saddam was still in power or not, and for solely the reason of "liberation",
</font>

COULDN'T

Quote:
Oil? No.. why are my gas prices 20 cents higher than normal again?
</font>

At the moment, Iraqi oil is not available to use. Don't think though that the price of petrol is a direct display of the availability of oil. Oil is used for everything, from fertiliser to clothing. It could just be that oil is being used moreso for something else. The fact that the US is at war is probably related. Things tend to go up in price during war.

Quote:
This leaves only one possible reason - Bush's hidden agenda. Well, make that two. Revenge for 9/11 taekn out on a totally unrelated party. I understand the frustration of being attacked by a phantom enemy who we can't strike back against - but good god, you don't need to take out the frustration on someone who had nothing to do with it. That's my theory, anyway. Again, I honsetly can't think of a legitimate reason to do what we did. If anyone can enlighten me, please, by all means.
</font>

I don't think '9/11 retaliation' is a serious reason for the Iraq war. I hope not, anyway. I think Afganistan served that purpose, justified or not.
It wouldn't surprise me if the American public consider this a valid reason, though. I don't think anti-Arab sentiment has quite calmed down since the widespread attacks and murders immediately after the WTC and Pentagon attacks.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-06-24, 11:36 AM #135
That whole document deals with Saddam's transportation net, connections to private transports, dismantling of facilities, and the discovery of a bunch of illegal, undeclared, and dual use missles/WMD components in other countries. I'm not going to quote the entire document. I've done my research, but it isn't my job to educate you. Either read it yourself, take my word for it, or just assume that the report is a)false or b)I'm being misleading. You could also just read the other link I tossed up with it, which provides a general run down of the findings.

And of course Kay wouldn't find them if they were moved out, as the United Nations seems to think they were.

------------------

2004-06-24, 11:43 AM #136
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charoziak:
That whole document deals with Saddam's transportation net, connections to private transports, dismantling of facilities, and the discovery of a bunch of illegal, undeclared, and dual use missles/WMD components in other countries. I'm not going to quote the entire document. I've done my research, but it isn't my job to educate you. Either read it yourself, take my word for it, or just assume that the report is a)false or b)I'm being misleading. You could also just read the other link I tossed up with it, which provides a general run down of the findings.

And of course Kay wouldn't find them if they were moved out, as the United Nations seems to think they were.

</font>

The point is, though, is that alone justification for an invasion?
The justification was that Iraq was an imminent threat. That evidence does not suggest that.
2004-06-24, 12:00 PM #137
Let's assume the report is true and Saddam had WMDs.

He clearly doesn't have a problem spreading them, does he? I mean, chemical weapons could end up in the hands of Al-Qaeda or something. Isn't proliferation of tons of deadly chemicals to terrorists whom have already struck at us several times something we should be a little concerned about?

Also, I dug around for this Putin thing, and found this. The White House isn't saying what he told them, but isn't saying he's wrong. According to the article, whatever he told us, we already knew.

EDIT - I am *seriously* having problems with UBB code today.

2004-06-24, 12:38 PM #138
Char: You've either haven't read the document or you're lying. The only country mentioned other than Iraq is Norway. The only "dual-use/WMD components" found there were metals. There is no suggestion that Iraq transported WMDs outside the country.

The UN report says nothing that's conclusive and little that's incriminating. An agricultral research center could make biological weapons. Looters stole and sold monitored items as scrap. Some warehouses were demolished. The Iraqi government used fronts to get parts for their quasilegal Al Samoud 2 program.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">14. In general, from 1999 to 2002 Iraq procured a variety of dual-use biological
and chemical items and materials, including chemicals, equipment and spare parts.
To date, UNMOVIC has found no evidence that these were used for proscribed
chemical or biological weapon purposes.
</font>

It fails. You fail. Find some real evidence that WMDs were spirited out the country or publically retract. And, for the love of God, quit with the hyperbole and petty attempts at deception.
2004-06-24, 1:29 PM #139
Check sections 30 and 31 of the College of Commissioners section. 30 sets the tone for discussion of chem weapons. 31 says that a bunch of stuff was taken from weapons facilities (in the context of 30, chemical facilities) and that several facilities were destroyed.

In 13 of the Compendium, UNMOVIC found no evidence, but David Kay, in 2003, listed dozens of places that there was evidence of active programs.

Section 5 in Developments deals with biological agent research that would advance a weapons program at an Iraqi plant.

Also, the Netherlands and Jordan are both mentioned in every other article I've found dealing with this report. I'm not lying. I'm going on secondhand sources. If they are wrong, then fine. (I know for fact Netherlands is in there, at least 5 times) It doesn't matter if it was one country or two.

Now then, I've had no problems with this discussion until just now. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make this personal. You're coming off as remarkably arrogant and condescending. Petty attempts at deception? You may just be being sarcastic, but it's hard to tell, and it's that which, as was noted earlier in the thread, becomes flames.

Just because you don't agree with me, or even if I happen to be wrong on a subject does not make me a deciever or a liar. Okay?

2004-06-24, 2:02 PM #140
I'll just post here like noone else has.
I havn't seen the movie, and I don't want to give the guy my money, but I don't see how something described the way it is could be anything but extremely biased. And anyone who in my mind would would consider it the flat out truth is pretty gullable and fickle.
*Puts on flame retardant suit*

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-06-24, 2:18 PM #141
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Moore asserts that Iraq under Saddam had never attacked or killed or even threatened (his words) any American. I never quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would be humanly possible. Baghdad was for years the official, undisguised home address of Abu Nidal, then the most-wanted gangster in the world, who had been sentenced to death even by the PLO and had blown up airports in Vienna* and Rome. Baghdad was the safe house for the man whose "operation" murdered Leon Klinghoffer. Saddam boasted publicly of his financial sponsorship of suicide bombers in Israel. (Quite a few Americans of all denominations walk the streets of Jerusalem.) In 1991, a large number of Western hostages were taken by the hideous Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and held in terrible conditions for a long time. After that same invasion was repelled—Saddam having killed quite a few Americans and Egyptians and Syrians and Brits in the meantime and having threatened to kill many more—the Iraqi secret police were caught trying to murder former President Bush during his visit to Kuwait. Never mind whether his son should take that personally. (Though why should he not?) Should you and I not resent any foreign dictatorship that attempts to kill one of our retired chief executives? (President Clinton certainly took it that way: He ordered the destruction by cruise missiles of the Baathist "security" headquarters.) Iraqi forces fired, every day, for 10 years, on the aircraft that patrolled the no-fly zones and staved off further genocide in the north and south of the country. In 1993, a certain Mr. Yasin helped mix the chemicals for the bomb at the World Trade Center and then skipped to Iraq, where he remained a guest of the state until the overthrow of Saddam. In 2001, Saddam's regime was the only one in the region that openly celebrated the attacks on New York and Washington and described them as just the beginning of a larger revenge. Its official media regularly spewed out a stream of anti-Semitic incitement. I think one might describe that as "threatening," even if one was narrow enough to think that anti-Semitism only menaces Jews. And it was after, and not before, the 9/11 attacks that Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi moved from Afghanistan to Baghdad and began to plan his now very open and lethal design for a holy and ethnic civil war. On Dec. 1, 2003, the New York Times reported—and the David Kay report had established—that Saddam had been secretly negotiating with the "Dear Leader" Kim Jong-il in a series of secret meetings in Syria, as late as the spring of 2003, to buy a North Korean missile system, and missile-production system, right off the shelf.</font>

your response:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Saddam says: "9-11 rocks, and there's more to come, hyuck hyuck!" That alone would, if I were President, be enough for me to look at it like a threat from a foreign leader. He's promising more slaughters. Does he know something's up? Is he planning something himself? Or should we just ignore it and let something else happen?</font>

Once again, it is totally ridiculous how this article says that Moore does twist the "truth" quite a bit, and does the exact same thing in its own writ to judge Moore.

When Moore asserts that no Iraqi has ever harmed an American, he means the Iraqi [civilian] people have never harmed American civilians. He doesn't question that Saddam is a bad man, and he doesn't mean to over look the first Gulf War, but he is really asking; "Does the death of 17,800 iraqi citizens mean freedom?"

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll just post here like noone else has.
I havn't seen the movie, and I don't want to give the guy my money, but I don't see how something described the way it is could be anything but extremely biased. And anyone who in my mind would would consider it the flat out truth is pretty gullable and fickle.
*Puts on flame retardant suit*</font>

You're a retard!

Sorry the flame told me to say it.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-06-24, 2:33 PM #142
Okay, I know it doesn't make much sense to not see something and then judge it, but how can you just accept the movie as truth?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobbert006 (edited June 24, 2004).]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-06-24, 2:42 PM #143
In the trailer, Moore asserts that Bush evacuated the Bin Laden family out of the US on 9-11.

Remember when Richard Clarke gave his testimony about 9-11 and his job and whatnot before the 9-11 Commission? He said he and he alone was responsible for that decision. He personally looked over the passenger list and approved the flight - not the president.

I may still see it, just for shoots and giggles. On the one hand, I don't want to give Moore my 6 bucks. On the other, it'd make a darn good write-up or radio segment. But, we'll see, I suppose.

------------------
2004-06-24, 3:04 PM #144
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bobbert006:
Okay, I know it doesn't make much sense to not see something and then judge it, but how can you just accept the movie as truth?

</font>

I don't. I don't accept that there is any single truth. Reality is in th eye of the beholder.

Of course I understand that there are things that simply didn't happen, and that sometimes Moore suggests such things as evidence. To be honest I look at these things as a hindrence on my own beilefs and I wish they didn't exist, and that Moore could just be more honest, because there are plenty of arguments you can make without distorting the "facts".

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In the trailer, Moore asserts that Bush evacuated the Bin Laden family out of the US on 9-11.

Remember when Richard Clarke gave his testimony about 9-11 and his job and whatnot before the 9-11 Commission? He said he and he alone was responsible for that decision. He personally looked over the passenger list and approved the flight - not the president.

I may still see it, just for shoots and giggles. On the one hand, I don't want to give Moore my 6 bucks. On the other, it'd make a darn good write-up or radio segment. But, we'll see, I suppose.</font>

The trailer, obviously, edits the movie quite a bit. In the trailer, you hear Moore say "These orders were given at the highest level" and the visual you get is the name "Bush, George W." However, that visual segment of the film relates to something completely different, where Moore is talking about records from Bush's Vietnam days.

In the actual movie, Michael Moore never asserts that it was Bush who gave the orders. If you don't beileve me, than pay the six bucks and you'll see.

------------------

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-06-24, 3:11 PM #145
Oh, I know the trailer edits things down. I'm fairly sure he does assert that, though - I've seen two editorials that make the claim. Granted, I've not seen it.

I probably ultimately will see the film, documentary, mockumentary, whatever you want to call it. Just a question of film or dvd from blockbuster.

------------------
2004-06-24, 3:24 PM #146
I think his movies are all biased myself... he exserts his opinions... but very rarely does he ever show the other side of the story.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-24, 4:29 PM #147
Hollywood's job is very rarely to tell the truth or even be objective. They play the game to make money.

------------------
2004-06-24, 4:53 PM #148
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">31 says that a bunch of stuff was taken from weapons facilities (in the context of 30, chemical facilities) and that several facilities were destroyed.</font>
No.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It noted with concern the removal from Iraq of items that had been subject to monitoring and the destruction of sites associated with Iraq’s weapon programmes and the possible implications both activities might have for the confirmation of disarmament and future ongoing monitoring.</font>
There's a significant difference between "weapons facilities" and "sites associated with Iraq’s weapon programmes".

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Section 5 in Developments deals with biological agent research that would advance a weapons program at an Iraqi plant.</font>
No.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Mr. Duelfer’s publicly released testimony mentions, as an example of uncertain Iraqi intent, that the Tuwaitha Agricultural and Biological Research Centre had equipment suitable for the production of biological agents and that research work there on the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis would be important to a biological weapon programme. UNMOVIC and its predecessor, the United Nations Special Commission, inspected that site on numerous occasions for similar reasonsand had categorized it as being subject to intensive monitoring. The site was also inspected regularly by IAEA.</font>
Bacillus thuringiensis
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">B. thuringiensis (commonly known as 'Bt') is an insecticidal bacterium, marketed worldwide for control of many important plant pests - mainly caterpillars of the Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths) but also mosquito larvae, and simuliid blackflies that vector river blindness in Africa.</font>
An agricultural research center is not an Iraqi biological weapons plant. Pesticide research is not a biological weapons program. An insecticide that is entirely safe to humans is not a biological weapon.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In 13 of the Compendium, UNMOVIC found no evidence, but David Kay, in 2003, listed dozens of places that there was evidence of active programs.</font>
Of which obviously none have panned out. Your point?

Jordan is not mentioned once in the UN report your second-hand sources are constructing their house of cards upon. The Netherlands are. Norway is not. I made a mistake.

Char, I find it extremely difficult to believe you can honestly make the claims you have. For example, the UN report says nothing close to what you say it does. Anyway, I can be remarkably arrogant and condescending. I apologize. Try not to take it personally.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 5:01 PM #149
The Ultimate Fahrenheit 9/11 Review:

Liberals will still think Moore is a all-knowing sex idol, Conservatives will still think he is a lieing attention whore, and Moderates still won't give a ****.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 24, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-24, 5:13 PM #150
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
You'll grow out of it Melon. Everyone here started out as a little prick. We all(at least I think all) of us grew up and out of that habit.

</font>

Note to the mindless (Kieran Horn, this means you) : I started out as a nice calm well mannered person, it's that set of traits I have grown out of.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-24, 5:20 PM #151
Damn I love these threads. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Oh, and Wolfy, thanks for the new sig.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-06-24, 5:21 PM #152
You don't grow out of being a nice person. It's called digression.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 24, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-24, 5:32 PM #153
Charoziak, read this:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
You lose.[/B]</font>

Live with it.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-24, 6:25 PM #154
Quote:
The Ultimate Fahrenheit 9/11 Review:

Liberals will still think Moore is a all-knowing sex idol, Conservatives will still think he is a lieing attention whore, and Moderates still won't give a ****.

</font>

Or not.

------------------

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-06-24, 6:38 PM #155
Quote:
You don't grow out of being a nice person. It's called digression.

</font>

No, it's called intolerance of stupidity and *******s.

------------------
2004-06-24, 7:09 PM #156
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Of course I understand that there are things that simply didn't happen, and that sometimes Moore suggests such things as evidence. To be honest I look at these things as a hindrence on my own beilefs and I wish they didn't exist, and that Moore could just be more honest, because there are plenty of arguments you can make without distorting the "facts".
</font>

If he should be more honest, then how can you believe anything he says unless you verify every bit of it yourself? It is sad that he has to resort to lieing to blame Bush for wrongdoing.

------------------

2004-06-24, 7:27 PM #157
let me tell you this, i am so enthusiastic about this film, my friends and i are breaking a law to get in( damn you underage $#!^) i really wish it was PG-13

------------------
The mind of a scientist, eyes of an artist, ears of an elf, words of a poet, nose of a chef, lips of a lover, tongue of a rebel, and horamones of a sex machine.
The mind of a scientist, eyes of an artist, ears of an elf, words of a poet, nose of a chef, lips of a lover, tongue of a rebel, and horamones of a sex machine.
2004-06-24, 8:00 PM #158
Okay, I did some more researching. Turns out the report I linked has nothing to do with the story I'm talking about. My mistake, although near the bottom of the report, there *is* a blurb that deals with transportation nets and rapid dismantling/evacuations. So, on the UN thing, I'll concede defeat by default. My honest mistake, though it was a fun back and forth.

Anyway, that story is what I'm actually talking about. Iraqi missles and components for WMDs were found in Jordan, Netherlands, and are suspected to be in Turkey. I told you those nations were mentioned, damnit.

Now, I know those aren't stockpiles. I'm not entirely convinced that there are stockpiles there. I am convinced that there was an ongoing bio/chem program (Kay concludes that as a definate in his '03 report - in '04, he doesn't refute that, he just says there are no stockpiles) and that Saddam was intent on acquiring nukes (another Kay conclusion).

What would lead me to believe there may have been stockpiles that were moved out is the Israeli intelligence that shipments were seen going back and forth between Iraq and Syria, and that once Saddam fell, you have 20 tons of deadly chemicals show up in Al-Qaeda hands. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm not sold either way.

I still support the decision to go to war, though. I still believe that Bush did not lie about the WMDs. Kay was asked if Bush should apologize to the American people when he resigned. His response was no, that the intelligence community should appologize to Bush and the people. Maybe we were wrong, and if so, history will be a harsh judge. But we took action based on evidence. The evidence just ended up wrong.

2004-06-24, 9:15 PM #159
Componnets aren't stockpiles, but Iraq wasn't supposed to have these programs of components at all.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-24, 10:04 PM #160
Since this thread is mostly off-topic anyway, I'll just address Vladimir Putin, Russia's current president who has been brought up a couple of times in this thread.

He's one of the biggest criminals of our time, and no credibility should be granted his way. He has continued the Russian tradition against "terrorists" in a country dreaming of independence in the most inhumane ways. He's unstable, and his popularity among the Russian people is frightening.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!