Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Calling all Linux gamers!
Calling all Linux gamers!
2004-06-28, 1:11 PM #1
All right, so here's the deal. My friend decided to rally on HardForums for support for ATi Linux gaming. Long story short, they ended up getting a representative from the Catalyst team checking out the thread. If you want to help this revolution go on, here is the link.

I know you guys can contribute something.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 3:37 PM #2
I seriously doubt that the guy really works for ATi.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-28, 3:40 PM #3
Linux is not a gaming operating system get over it. If you wanna play games well just set up a dual boot with a Window version.

------------------
They call him El Diablo... *whip crack*
2004-06-28, 3:41 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by El Diablo:
Linux is not a gaming operating system get over it. If you wanna play games well just set up a dual boot with a Window version.</font>

Youve obviously never heard of OpenGL or SDL.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-28, 3:43 PM #5
Yeah I've heared how easy it is just to let Windows set it up automatically as opposed to messing around with it myself.

------------------
2004-06-28, 3:59 PM #6
linux has games?

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-06-28, 4:03 PM #7
Quote:
Yeah I've heared how easy it is just to let Windows set it up automatically as opposed to messing around with it myself.

</font>

Dude...you have no idea what the POINT of this thread is. It's to MAKE Linux a gaming OS. That way you can have stability and gaming in the same OS.

CM--This guy is definitely from ATi. HardOCP has to be the most respected collection of gamers ANYWHERE, moreso than any I can think of off-hand. The owner of the site (Kyle) is perhaps one of the most well known gamers anywhere, as he runs that wonderful and highly acclaimed site. So if he says the guy's from ATi, the guy's from ATi.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 4:06 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Genki:
linux has games?

</font>

------------------
2004-06-28, 4:13 PM #9
Quote:

</font>

Tux Racer, UT2k4, UT2k3, UT1999, Q3, America's Army, Enemy Territory.

A list of a few that are linux NATIVE not to mention the ones that run in linux through WineX. Painkiller, Far Cry, WC3, SC, Steam (Half-Life). And the list goes ON and ON and ON and ON.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 4:17 PM #10
Yeah but my windows still has to cool Microsoft symbol in it.

------------------
2004-06-28, 5:15 PM #11
It's the Windows logo. And I think it's one of the dumbest logos in existance. If I could purge it from my system or replace it with something of my creation, I would.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-28, 5:22 PM #12
The Linux Penguin is soo much better a logo than that stupid Windows flag.

------------------
2004-06-28, 5:25 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
The Linux Penguin is soo much better a logo than that stupid Windows flag.

</font>

Yup. That and penguins just kick *** too.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 5:57 PM #14
The penguin is indeed better than a freaky four colored flag. But I'd want to replace the flag with this instead.

[http://members.lycos.co.uk/firestarterinc/graphics/PhoenixLogo.jpg]

That is, of course, if I could make it small enough and still visable, which would probably be doubtful.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-28, 6:04 PM #15
FreeBSD has the best logo, with OpenBSD in a close second.

I don't see Linux becoming a gaming platform as long as DirectX remains a popular API. Anyway, I only really care for *BSD support, since dual-booting for Linux is almost as bad as dual-booting with Windows. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-06-28, 6:18 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malus:
FreeBSD has the best logo, with OpenBSD in a close second.

I don't see Linux becoming a gaming platform as long as DirectX remains a popular API. Anyway, I only really care for *BSD support, since dual-booting for Linux is almost as bad as dual-booting with Windows. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

You do know Linux supports DX9 now right? Well....WineX

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 8:17 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:

[http://members.lycos.co.uk/firestarterinc/graphics/PhoenixLogo.jpg]

</font>

It looks almost like a dragon.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-28, 8:51 PM #18
Neverwinter Nights can run off Linux natively...IIRC.

I think it's time I ran a PW off my Linux box... *light bulb turns on*

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-28, 9:00 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
You do know Linux supports DX9 now right? Well....WineX</font>

Not natively.

------------------
2004-06-29, 1:54 AM #20
I don't think Windows is gonna last much longer. Eventually, Linux is going to take command.
2004-06-29, 4:17 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
I don't think Windows is gonna last much longer. Eventually, Linux is going to take command.</font>

Yeah, we were saying that 10 years ago, too...

------------------
2004-06-29, 5:13 AM #22
Maybe I'll reconsider semi-switching to Linux... although security really isn't a major concern for me... and I really can't be arsed to post the like to "What has Bill Gates done for us" hosted on my webspace, written by Kieron Gillen.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
This is out of our jurisdiction, Bob. It's not wearing any pants.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-29, 5:31 AM #23
Quote:

</font>

Linux has come a looooooooong long way since then. Long way.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 5:42 AM #24
Hey phoenix, not to derail the thread, but wow, I love that concept. If you can drop by the chat I'd love to talk to you about making a logo for my band, you look like you could come up with something really nice.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-06-29, 6:39 AM #25
I actually dug that up online, at least the Freehand file that contained the vector art. I did the rest. But still, I can come up with something. I'd direct you to the rest of my FTP folder, but I have it locked down now since people were leeching from me.

I'll come in and hang around tonight.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 7:16 AM #26
Quote:

</font>

I'm serious. Microsoft's doom is just on the horizon. Linux isn't going to take over because it's so great. It's going to take over because Windows OS's are literally going down the hole.
2004-06-29, 8:05 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
I'm serious. Microsoft's doom is just on the horizon. Linux isn't going to take over because it's so great. It's going to take over because Windows OS's are literally going down the hole.</font>

Last I checked XP was the best MS OS yet :P. But uh...Longhorn looks promising, if you can turn off Palladium.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 8:06 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malus:
Not natively.

</font>

...so?

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-29, 10:22 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
...so?

</font>

So in comparison it runs like crap.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-29, 10:36 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
</font>

Exactly. Not to mention that you are still dependent on Microsoft software, which is ironic since people switch to Linux to get away from Microsoft.

------------------
2004-06-29, 10:43 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:

</font>

Not always... I can play Far Cry at 1024 x 786 with just about max details, and all the effects are there. (OpenGL mode) And it is very playable. And this is only on a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 mb.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-29, 11:49 AM #32
There's nothing limiting Linux from being a gaming platform. The technological support is there, and the games are starting to follow.
2004-06-29, 12:08 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fourwood:
There's nothing limiting Linux from being a gaming platform. The technological support is there, and the games are starting to follow.</font>

There is something limiting games in Linux and that is called money. Game developers will develop/port games to Linux only if they they think they can turn a profit. Otherwise, they stick with developing in Windows. And if a game is made for Linux, it can't use any DX9 which is still widely used. OpenGL programming isn't an easy thing. I've seen the projects that my companions in CS 597C made. There are numerous source files and these projects were rudimentary. So for some game developers, writing games using DX9 is probably a cost-cutter. Again, money issue. As Rush Limbaugh says, follow the money.

[proofreading]
------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

[This message has been edited by Gandalf1120 (edited June 29, 2004).]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-29, 12:38 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Quote:
Originally posted by fourwood:
There's nothing limiting Linux from being a gaming platform. The technological support is there, and the games are starting to follow.</font>

There is something limiting games in Linux and that is called money. Game developers will develop/port games to Linux only if they they think they can turn a profit. Otherwise, they stick with developing in Windows. And if a game is made for Linux, it can't use any DX9 which is still widely used. OpenGL programming isn't an easy thing. I've seen the projects that my companions in CS 597C made. There are numerous source files and these projects were rudimentary. So for some game developers, writing games using DX9 is probably a cost-cutter. Again, money issue. As Rush Limbaugh says, follow the money.

[proofreading][/B]

Carmack seems to make it easy enough. I think it's more the programmer and not the programming.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 3:52 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Last I checked XP was the best MS OS yet :P. But uh...Longhorn looks promising, if you can turn off Palladium.

</font>

Right. I'll stay with Win2k where I feel substantially safer. I don't want or need to pay a hundred some dollars for a new OS which will not be as safe as my current OS, and which will have so many features I turn off, by the time I'm done, it will essentially BE the OS I used to have.

I've used XP alot, I've heard and read of things that I don't like in it, and I've heard enough "horror" stories from other people to make me not want to use it.

I might be out of date fairly soon, but that will make me alot safer since I won't be as large a target.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 4:11 PM #36
I've never ever had a problem with XP corp, ever. The only problems I've had are because of security holes, which are in 2k and XP, no matter what you do. And it only costs ~100, good for a new MS OS.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 4:22 PM #37
The security holes you speak of have plagued me when I was using XP at school. At home however, if those same security holes exist in 2k, they have NEVER been an issue at all.

Security and Windows together is almost like an Oxymoron to me. Windows Security reminds me of swiss cheeese there are so many damned holes.

As an offtopic note to Seb, I should've mentioned it in my last post, but I was being sidetracked by other things. If you don't catch me in the chat, my email is listed in my profile. I can usually have a reply to you within a day or so of recieveing it.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 7:23 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
The security holes you speak of have plagued me when I was using XP at school. At home however, if those same security holes exist in 2k, they have NEVER been an issue at all.

Security and Windows together is almost like an Oxymoron to me. Windows Security reminds me of swiss cheeese there are so many damned holes.

As an offtopic note to Seb, I should've mentioned it in my last post, but I was being sidetracked by other things. If you don't catch me in the chat, my email is listed in my profile. I can usually have a reply to you within a day or so of recieveing it.

</font>

That's why. School computers are HORRIBLY insecure.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-30, 7:08 AM #39
Yep. My school lab has SO much spyware on it. Most of them give you a blue screen of death trying to start up just from being overloaded with so much spyware.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-30, 7:09 AM #40

I secured those myself. They were COMPLETELY seperate from the school's network. I ran the bloody Windows Update, I had AntiVirus running all the time, I installed Firefox on all of them...

Somehow, even though I had all of that running, we still got plagued with things at least once a month.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!