Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Calling all Linux gamers!
Calling all Linux gamers!
2004-06-30, 10:21 AM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:

I secured those myself. They were COMPLETELY seperate from the school's network. I ran the bloody Windows Update, I had AntiVirus running all the time, I installed Firefox on all of them...

Somehow, even though I had all of that running, we still got plagued with things at least once a month.

</font>

*shakes head* No matter what you do it's still gonna happen. Large windows networks do not work. They always have a hole somewhere, which a virus will exploit.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-30, 10:34 AM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
OpenGL programming isn't an easy thing. I've seen the projects that my companions in CS 597C made. There are numerous source files and these projects were rudimentary.</font>

For myself, OpenGL has always been an easier graphics API to work with than DirectX. However, DirectX has a library loaded with things that you have to code yourself in OpenGL. OpenGL is not necessarily harder, but can make work a lot more tedious than if you were to use DirectX.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited June 30, 2004).]
2004-06-30, 4:22 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
*shakes head* No matter what you do it's still gonna happen. Large windows networks do not work. They always have a hole somewhere, which a virus will exploit.

</font>

Large? It was FOUR (4) XP computers linked together. Completely seperate from the several hundred other 9x/XP machines in the school. Just how is that a large network?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-30, 5:37 PM #44
At my uni, a lot of the computers are so laden with crap that they barely even run. They are using Win98, no less.

However, I bring a knoppix cd and a portable flash drive to keep documents on and I do my work that way. The lab admins came over to see what the f*** I was doing when they saw the KDE interface, and I told them that I was running linux off of the CD and no changes were being made to the hard drive, but they didn't care and told me to get the f*** out. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] I guess it never occured to them that there was no official rule posted against using linux. The only rules were no chat, no games, and no installing applications. By using knoppix, i wasn't doing any of those things, but they didn't even listen to me.

These dumbasses hadn't even heard of linux, and they're supposed to be IT professionals. I could probably take their jobs if i wanted to.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 30, 2004).]
2004-06-30, 5:55 PM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Large? It was FOUR (4) XP computers linked together. Completely seperate from the several hundred other 9x/XP machines in the school. Just how is that a large network?

</font>

Was it connected to the internet? I'm sorry but something was in your error my friend. XP is known as a rock-hard stable and very virus free (if updated) OS.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-30, 6:32 PM #46
OGL and DX9 have advantages and weaknesses, yes. A simple MP3 player isn't so simple of a task to do in DX9. To be honest, I've not used OGL API so I'm taking the difficulty of using this API on word. One of these days I'll write something using OpenGL.

IIRC, Emon made something using OpenGL.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!