Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anyone remember the good old days of JK on the Zone?
Anyone remember the good old days of JK on the Zone?
2003-11-29, 9:44 AM #1
*sniffle*

nostalgia seems to fail me not when I remember the good days of Drazen isle, Dralloc Hotel, The Zone, people hacking the zone, the beginning of the "Alt tab out" descriptions, staying up 'till 3 in the morning talking to the greats like CaveDemon and the make of the Dralloc Serise...yeah, damn it was great. What ever happened to the days of Jedi High school, leaking DBZ 4.0 (Which just recently released for JK :P), and shouting out: "NAR SHADAA RPG @ GAME 25!!" Really, those were the days when modders had ingenuity (not that they don't now, but they had alot then :P) and the ability to come out with mods EVERY DAY. Life was good, why did LA ruin it all by releasing JK2?? :P
2003-11-29, 9:46 AM #2
Sorry, forgot to add SavageX, the other l33t modder :P
2003-11-29, 9:48 AM #3
Yeah, see, there were no good days at the Zone. Every moment spent trying to get your godamn messenger program to work, or trying to dodge the abusive systops, the countless requests to join some clan some kid made in hopes to have 'The Best Clan Ever', all of it was a living hell.

But yeah, we all loved it. That's the scary part. Mmmm, hell.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-11-29, 10:25 AM #4
I remember the hayday of JK on the zone. It was fun, easy to find games, a few good people to play with. It was great.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-11-29, 10:38 AM #5
During the best days on the zone I was over playing Checkers every day

------------------
" You killed me. That wasn't very nice."
Noble Gases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2003-11-29, 10:55 AM #6
heh
the hayday of the Z**e lasted about 10minutes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-11-29, 11:01 AM #7
I was a lot like my old self. I cussed at Sysops. I pmed them cuss words. I was cocky. I would troll rooms, then kick their meaningless asses in BGJ NF Sabers. Ahh...those where the days. Prolly beat some of ya'll [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited November 29, 2003).]
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2003-11-29, 12:45 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
I was a lot like my old self.</font>

as upposed to?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2003-11-29, 1:06 PM #9
Nice Elana14, very nice. Made my day. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
TI-MAH!
2003-11-29, 1:12 PM #10
me too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] <3 elana. although it's 'opposed' instead of 'upposed' [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2003-11-29, 1:22 PM #11
Yeah it was great, messenger was actually not bad, just a quirky little easy program. The games tended to be fun, I remember when you actually had to constantly watch rooms because they would get filled up so easily.

What was with the alt tab out? I never understood the popularity behind it. I got the same result hitting Ctrl + ESC. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Maybe it was just more fun to say.. Alttab! Alttab! I will slaughter you all in the name of Alttab! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2003-11-29, 1:51 PM #12
I liked the old zone. Now they have smilies and other crap icons. Arrgh. Now people are too busy insulting each other with the rainbow icon.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-11-29, 2:34 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elana14:
as upposed to?

</font>

haha if you could spell opposed, i may have actually laughed.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2003-11-29, 2:38 PM #14
Quote:
haha if you could spell opposed, i may have actually laughed.</font>

if you could refrain from being rude, i might actually like you.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] the irony, eh?

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2003-11-29, 2:59 PM #15
my greatest memory is probably from the days before the 'hacker kicker' program came out. You couldn't play for 10 minutes in any room without someone with the name "£éétd00Ð" joining in; the Ascii characters indicating that the guy either had a supercharged concussion rifle or a bryar pistol that shot out landing platforms.

as I recall, from when I used to go there, very few people weren't a member of some clan, and the chat room conversation never got beyond "FF SABERZ RO0M 10!!!!!!!11!" and "scr3w j00, n00b!"

heh....memories

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2003-11-29, 3:08 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saberopus:

if you could refrain from being rude, i might actually like you.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] the irony, eh?

</font>

haha, you say that like i should care.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2003-11-29, 3:41 PM #17
Heh, someone says "zone" and then everyone automatically starts fighting with each other! Yep... good times... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-11-29, 3:55 PM #18
There were good days?

Oh, yea, I guess Massassi day would be good...

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2003-11-29, 3:57 PM #19
FF SABERZ, NO NEWBZ!!1 ROOM 2!

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-11-29, 3:59 PM #20
Quote:
haha if you could spell opposed, i may have actually laughed.</font>

When mocking someone's misuse of grammar and/or spelling, one should check to make certain that one has not made one's self look like a fool by using that of which is being mocked. Remember kids, grammar is your friend.

[edit - Grammar - OH THE IRONY!]
------------------
TI-MAH!

[This message has been edited by Insipid (edited November 29, 2003).]
2003-11-29, 4:52 PM #21
I never played at the Zone that often. IT was too much of a pain. My comp would always kick me out of the game.

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2003-11-29, 5:57 PM #22
The Zone is/was a necessary evil for JK players. Sure, there were good times, but there were plenty of bad ones as well. I prefer the old days of the jediBoard and Qtracker. Anyone remember ReconDroid (the program)?

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2003-11-29, 8:15 PM #23
I remember when you joined nar, all 75 rooms were filled. And you were shocked to see less than 200 people in the room, at times.

------------------
"Did you just say.....Birthday Party?...."
Twenty-Eight Days, Six Hours, Forty-Two Minutes, Twelve seconds...
2003-11-29, 9:22 PM #24
NF SABZ CANYUN OACIS NO HAX NO CHEETS @ ROOM 24

sry my key wuz stuck

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-11-29, 9:36 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sayo_H:
Sorry, forgot to add SavageX, the other l33t modder :P</font>

/me hands over 100 dollars and whispers: "...shhhh... don't tell anyone I paid you to say that..."

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-11-29, 10:44 PM #26
room 1 in nar was also dominated by some guy, " SLEEPING ZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ"

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Rah!
/fluffle
2003-11-30, 12:54 AM #27
What is up with everyone recently? Everyones jumping on someone else because they spelt something wrong or said "lol". It's pathetic, to be honest.

But yeah, I have felt a little nostalgic a few times, especially for some of the actually intelligible people I met on there who I lost contact with over the years. lol

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2003-11-30, 2:26 AM #28
actually the best game of JK MP i ever played was not Zone but one we set up in #massassi in late 2001...
I think Archimedes hosted it...
it was a great game; everyone came and went as they wanted/could.
Archi and I stayed the whole time: over 2 hours ;D
final score was Archi with 215 or so and me with 210
(it was sabers only BGJ... best map in JK [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif])

ahhh, the memories.

oh, and Emon... "joo r newb; jur key wuz n't stuck, foo" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2003-11-30, 2:59 AM #29
There's a few people I met on there who I really really miss. But yeah, staying up late chatting with people in Room 1 and playing that Bespin level. Good times.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2003-11-30, 3:05 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LividDK27:
What is up with everyone recently? Everyones jumping on someone else because they spelt something wrong or said "lol". It's pathetic, to be honest.</font>

I won't point blame, but there's only two members being jerks...

------------------
Blue Vortex
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2003-11-30, 3:28 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
I won't point blame, but there's only two members being jerks...

</font>

Fair point. I suppose the amount of threads I saw this sort of thing in skewed my judgement slightly.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2003-11-30, 4:16 AM #32
zone slogan: "WTF OMG HAX!!!11"

your average conversation in the main chat:

"hey ur a gay arent u dumass haxer"
"lol no ur the f***t"
"wtf f*** u ok11?"
"IL KIK UR *** IN FF BGJJ!111" "OK! wut game"
"uh"
"(Exit)>Dude2"

Speaking of which, the language I used in that aren't part of my views blah blah blah, etc. wasn't using gay as a derogatory term yadda yadda just using as example.

Ah yes, And the flooding.

"MISTERD00D42000 IS AN *** " over 5000 lines, noone could read or type, Yep. golden days.

And the names! The names were so inventive

"SuPeRGoKu420"

Such wonderfull terms as Jewb and other colorfull phrases which I probably can't say here.

Yep, golden days I tell you, racist wannabes who are hormonal 13 year olds, I swear. At age 10 I was more mature then 80% of the zone, And I know. I was on the zone from age 8 to 12.

Zone also taught me how to type, read better, spell better (amazingly enough).

so yeah, Zone > hooked on phonics. I'm serious, it taught me to read, grow my vocabulary. type, spell, etc. 'twas amazing.

Now I have my own uniqe way of typing, which is really cool, didn't require any teaching at all, I just developed it on my own and its really fast.

Yeah, fun. And I *was* the fastest keyboard saberist around, Nobody was faster or better then me if they used a keyboard. Atleast noone to my knowlege.

anyways, the zone was a neccecary evil. as said before.

last time I went it was so sad, smileys and such. horrible, horrible.

It seems the more they update the zone, the more pathetic and absoloutly idiotic it gets.

Ah, but look what it spawned.

Owned, pwned, 1337 l337 leet.

Just so much wonderfull usless stuff we have, yeah. Awsome isn't it?

We also got a generation of people who can't use grammar from it, then come hang out around here. Which I don't mind the intelligent ones, I just don't want zone rejects hanging out around here.

What was up with holding game 1? Noone ever played it in. 'cept on rare occasions.

------------------
"In the memory you'll find me. Eyes burning up.
The darkness holding me tightly.
Untill the sun rises up."
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2003-11-30, 5:01 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What was up with holding game 1? Noone ever played it in. 'cept on rare occasions.</font>

It was mainly for that Zone social elite, I guess. JediJess used to have it a lot. Anyone remember her? I think I was there for a game in it once or twice.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2003-11-30, 5:35 AM #34
GAME 27 NF GUNS JHS JOIN NOW!!!!

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2003-11-30, 8:12 AM #35
oh yeah, almost forgot about that - seemed like more than half the members on the zone at any given time had either "darth" or "goku" in their names...

------------------

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2003-11-30, 9:32 AM #36
Gamespy is still that way (in terms of the nostalgic feeling) and i love it, but, it social ladder is a very difficult one to climb, you pretty much have to be ablt to do something to not be sluaghtered.

p.s. We HATE Zoners, so if you go to Gamespy, dont say anything about the Zone.

------------------
Just b/c you're paranoid, don't mean that they're not after you!
<SalvadorChicka> i wasn't all "omg canadians have sex with each other!"
2003-11-30, 11:13 AM #37
I've always thought of Gamespy'rs and Z**e'rs in the same category =P

I used to use Gamespy for BG2 games... got fed up with it just like I did with the Zone. (=

------------------
2003-11-30, 11:19 AM #38
IMO, between the zone and gamespy, the zone is the lesser of two evils.

I remember lots of fun games on the zone. It was most fun playing CTF at large Nar with no force. Hehe.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-11-30, 11:51 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MadQuack:
It was mainly for that Zone social elite, I guess. JediJess used to have it a lot. Anyone remember her? I think I was there for a game in it once or twice.

</font>

Ah yes, I remember JediJess, I once recall asking her 'r j00 relly a gurl d00d???/?//'. Good times, good times.

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2003-11-30, 1:47 PM #40
I was accused of "hacking" by virtually everyone that I played on Gamespy Arcade. Needless to say, I didn't play there much. I've heard that a few skilled players have started playing there, but I pretty much stick to NF CTF these days and unless they're playing that, I won't bother going back. I pop into the Zone from time to time, but it's become too irritating (only a few people left there that I can tolerate).

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com

↑ Up to the top!