Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Huh?
Huh?
2006-10-23, 3:59 PM #41
But you can't be in Geek Squad for rest of your life...?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-10-23, 4:44 PM #42
*sigh* all I meant was that everyone has little things that they're insecure about, not that everyone's an insecure person in general. Anyone who tried to tell me that they have absolutely no insecurities is full of crap.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-10-23, 7:53 PM #43
Yes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-10-23, 7:55 PM #44
Originally posted by Yecti:
No no... Not nerd. Nerds don't know that they're nerds (and are inherently inferior). I'm a Geek. And contrary to popular belief, I'm a Geek with a life (as Yoshi and MB can attest to with my inability to commit to RTfM). Furthermore, I live with my girlfriend.
Except you work for Geek Squad, the ignorant mouth-breathing technicians Best Buy pays to send broken computers off to technically-competent third party contractors. Being an actual honest-to-god geek implies you have skills of some sort. Advertising the fact that you're in Geek Squad is pretty much the opposite of that.
2006-10-23, 7:59 PM #45
I cut Geek Squad off when I see them on the road.

I don't like their ties.
2006-10-23, 10:38 PM #46
Technically, Jon'C, the Geek Squad works for HIM.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-10-24, 3:05 AM #47
By my definition (going by what labels where applied in school), a nerd is a smart geek.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-10-24, 9:02 AM #48
Originally posted by Deadman:
By my definition (going by what labels where applied in school), a nerd is a smart geek.
The people in your school are retarded. :downs:

"Geek" - good.
"Nerd" - bad.

Why? Because, as I mentioned, geeks are skilled. Nerds are not. Generally geeks are so specialized and proficient that their area of expertise becomes the greatest social hurdle for them: this is often seen in cases of autism and asperger's, which is why a number of people in the medical community speculate that most geeks have one of these conditions. Often times geeks will choose their hobbies over socializing with others.

Nerds are simply social outcasts. They have no noteworthy abilities, but they're social pariahs for other reasons, and not by personal choice.

Nerds are not smart geeks. But if you really want us to call you a nerd instead of a geek, I'm sure that would be accurate.
2006-10-25, 2:11 AM #49
Wow, our definitions are pretty much complete opposites.
2006-10-25, 2:51 AM #50
I've always gone by defining a nerd as someone who enjoys academic or intellectual pursuits. It doesn't have anything to do with social skills. This is why you can have many types of nerds (drama nerd, history nerd, computer nerd). Geeks, on the other hand, are people who lack social skills. They do tend to be some kind of nerd because they focus on some nerdy interest instead of other people.

Of course, the definitions are pretty much arbitrary and are switched around at will.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-10-26, 6:58 AM #51
guys like that can't close the deal for a reason. you're going to go in constant circles in a relationship with him because he'll hesitate and you'll have to drag answers out of him. you don't have to read all that babble to figure out that he is paralyzed by decisions.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-10-26, 7:49 AM #52
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Except you work for Geek Squad, the ignorant mouth-breathing technicians Best Buy pays to send broken computers off to technically-competent third party contractors. Being an actual honest-to-god geek implies you have skills of some sort. Advertising the fact that you're in Geek Squad is pretty much the opposite of that.

Oh stop it with your stupid superiority complex. Yecti's got plenty of "skills", if you want to argue that point, and the Geek Squad isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Also, get over yourself.
D E A T H
2006-10-26, 10:23 AM #53
I'm confused, but more so frightened how this conversation got here from sug' talking about this waffling guy.

I suggest we continue talking about sug' forcing herself upon him.

Or waffles, we could talk about waffles too.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-10-26, 10:27 AM #54
I say there is nothing leather and a whip can't fix.

Then you add sugarless to the equation and then "no power in the 'verse can stop her."
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-10-26, 11:06 AM #55
Originally posted by fishstickz:
I'm confused, but more so frightened how this conversation got here from sug' talking about this waffling guy.

Or...her forcing herself upon him wearing waffles...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-26, 11:08 AM #56
Originally posted by fishstickz:

Waffles are good because the syrup rests in the squares instead of spreading all over the plate. Also, the squares make it easier to cut up the waffle into eatable chunks.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-26, 11:10 AM #57
Buttered waffles are exquisite. While extremely fat, each little square forms a tasty pool of fat goodnss. Omughfff. Of course, the waffle needs to be nice and crispy, not soggy crap that will let the butter sink into it.
2006-10-26, 11:18 AM #58
Originally posted by Jon`C:

I'll remain civil (since you can't be bothered to do so) and provide points of rebuttal.

As is inherent with any large organization, there are a few members within the heirarchial structure that are less than ideal candidates to hold the positions that they hold. But I can assure you that the entirety of our workforce does not subscribe to the sect that you so brashly cornered.

As a matter of fact, if you did any research at all, you'd see that we don't use 3rd party contractors whatsoever. Quite the contrary, we are -- in a time of outsourcing -- inbording all of our jobs from technical support staff via telephone or internet to programmers who develop internally branded and proprietary (and Patented!) applications. A simple search online will yield the most recent bain of my existence as you'll see the technical community is quite abuzz with illegal releases of our MRI software (the team that I'm currently a developer for).

Don't write the Geek Squad off because you're a pompous, elitist, and arrogant technically minded person. We obviously do something right, as we have a very loyal customer base, and only an extremely MINUTE number of anual complaints or problems. And of that minute number, even less of them relate directly to the Geek Squad, and more to the incompetent Best Buy management and leadership who play a close role in running the Precinct located within their stores.

Truthfully, Geek Squad is a beacon of computer support for the average consumer. We have smart marketing which makes our Agents approachable and almost campy to make them amusing. Sorry you can't make any money in a mom-and-pop shop anymore. But you shouldn't be working on consumer's PCs anyways because you can't offer a real warranty or long-term support regardless. You don't have the capital.

And don't speak to me as though I'm a low-level grunt employee who still attends highschool and doesn't bathe. We have a minority in that demographic. However, I'm the Lead Technical Analyst and a Software Architect for the Geek Squad. I help develop the software that 15,000 Agents use throughout the entirety of this multi-billion dollar organization.

Show me something you've done recently Jon, that was so coveted by the technical community that it was stolen and distributed several thousand times over. Oh, that's right, you can't. Because you're not as technically savvy as we developers at the Geek Squad.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-10-26, 11:46 AM #59
Waffles are good because the syrup rests in the squares instead of spreading all over the plate. Also, the squares make it easier to cut up the waffle into eatable chunks.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-26, 12:36 PM #60
Originally posted by SMOCK!:

Agreed. You astound me with your undying wit and bantor! :D :v:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-10-26, 12:37 PM #61
Waffles are good.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-10-26, 12:52 PM #62
this thread just doesn't stop surprising me
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-10-26, 1:03 PM #63
Originally posted by sugarless5:
this thread just doesn't stop surprising me

Wait til I post my exibitionist pics
2006-10-26, 1:11 PM #64
Originally posted by Jepman:
Wait til I post my exibitionist pics

Oh, I am. *lubes*
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-26, 1:11 PM #65
Slippery Kirby!
2006-10-26, 2:37 PM #66
Don't write the Geek Squad off because you're a pompous, elitist, and arrogant technically minded person.

Oh, that's right, you can't. Because you're not as technically savvy as we developers at the Geek Squad.

I'll remain civil (since you can't be bothered to do so) and provide points of rebuttal.
:v:

Quote:
A simple search online will yield the most recent bain of my existence as you'll see the technical community is quite abuzz with illegal releases of our MRI software (the team that I'm currently a developer for).

Show me something you've done recently Jon, that was so coveted by the technical community that it was stolen and distributed several thousand times over.
If piracy is the pinnacle of respect in the IT industry, then you (and your company) must hold Winternal's software in the highest esteem.

Quote:
Sorry you can't make any money in a mom-and-pop shop anymore. But you shouldn't be working on consumer's PCs anyways because you can't offer a real warranty or long-term support regardless. You don't have the capital.
Um... alright, I'll pass along the apology I guess.

Yecti: Interesting. I honestly I had no idea Geek Squad actually hired real technicians anymore. Considering the fact that the overwhelming majority of your visible employees are, - in fact - unclean high school students with cheeto-stained ties, I simply assumed that Best Buy fired all of you when they took over and replaced you with their usual employees.
My opinion of Geek Squad is, honestly, colored by the numerous complaints I've heard from within technically-minded organizations (such as the SA forums), as well as posts made by mom-and-pop computer techs who are shipped computers for repair work by Geek Squad. Unfortunately my evidence is merely anecdotal, largely because the SA forums are down for maintenance.

That said, I still think poorly of you as a person.
2006-10-28, 4:01 AM #67
And with that the balance is restored.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-28, 4:15 AM #68
mmm, waffles...

↑ Up to the top!