Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2006
Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2006
2006-10-25, 9:05 PM #41
Have any of you ever taken any kind of press/journalism class? Seriously.

Anonymouse sources serve many purposes. If we had this same law when Nixon was in power, Watergate would've ended up being nothing.

Christ, am I the only American here who gets how bad releasing sources can be?
D E A T H
2006-10-25, 11:23 PM #42
I don't know about that. Even if Berstein and Woodward had to cough up that now dead person, Watergate would still hold a lot of weight. That was a pretty big scandal to cover up.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-10-26, 7:38 AM #43
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I don't know about that. Even if Berstein and Woodward had to cough up that now dead person, Watergate would still hold a lot of weight. That was a pretty big scandal to cover up.

Not really--the only way that it even had the clout to get published was Deep Throat. If they had to release that source, the govt. would've taken him away "mysteriously", and the story would've been nothing.
D E A T H
2006-10-26, 9:57 AM #44
But that's AFTER The story is released. I don't think CREEP would double-tap Deep Throat after their nefarious plans have been released to the public.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-10-26, 10:38 AM #45
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Forcing the press to reveal its sources (even in cases that don't have anything to do with terrorism), is a very serious issue that harms the functioning of the press. This is chewing on the basis of a free democratic constitutional state.

What were the cases in which the reporters were forced to turn over their sources? A case doesn't have to be terrorist-related at all for the source to be an important part of an investigation - say that a reporter has connections to someone who has vital information pertaining to an investigation.

I understand and agree that anonymous sources can definitely help expose corruption and blow the cover off of conspiracies, but there may be times where an anonymous source needs to be contacted, and the referenced instances may have been those times.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-10-26, 11:01 AM #46
In those cases the onus is on the anonymous source to allow him/herself to be contacted, not for the government to infringe on his/her rights.

They could chicken out and people could die due to some nasty plot of some descriptions, but that is the price of freedom. You have to be willing to accept that if you want freedom then the government won't always be able to help you.

You have to trust that people will be willing to put themselves in harms way to help other people, even if precedent has shown that it's not the case.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!