Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Accidently cut myself...
Accidently cut myself...
2006-10-24, 10:30 AM #1
First, is there a name for the fleshy part of the hand that stretchs and contracts between the index finger and the thumb? I've been calling it "webbing" but I assume there is a better name.

Anyway, I accidently made a small gash right on this part on my left hand by some loose, sharp end sticking out of a car door. Maybe "gash" seems too dramatic but it was a somewhat deep cut right down this fleshy place. So I ran to a sink and washed it with hydrogen peroxide, and then I put a bandage on. After some bleeding, I noticed that the cut doesn't allow the "webbing" to fully connect. Strange, not sure what to do about that. I guess I'll have a weird open scar right between the index and the thumb.

Not really a terrible cutting-of-the-flesh story. But, speaking of cuts into skin, anyone had any dramatic wounds in their life? [sub](excluding any emo-related cutting)[/sub]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-10-24, 10:40 AM #2
You could.. sew it together.

Or try to solder it back together!!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-10-24, 10:50 AM #3
You cut yourself?

How emo.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-10-24, 10:54 AM #4
I just accidentally cut myself today too, I was trying to chop an onion and cut quite deep into the flesh of my left thumb.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-10-24, 10:56 AM #5
There's a difference though, he's accidently emo. Worst i've had is having the ends of nails sorta jab into my back when I was crawling under a satellite dish when I was a kid and the big scrapes I got on my knees and ankles from bike accidents and oil slicks and such.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-10-24, 11:11 AM #6
Originally posted by Wolfy:
You cut yourself?

How emo.

//_;
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-10-24, 11:14 AM #7
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/mixmod.jpg]

Oh damn!

I mean

Kinda not-fun.

Anyhow, a wounded penis and two freaking catheters in my chest are kinda woundish enough. Of course I've forgotten something else, but whatever.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-10-24, 11:14 AM #8
I cut off my thumb with an axe in the 2nd grade. Not kidding. I didn't really feel any pain because it was so quick, but just seeing a pool of blood around your thumb will get you to scream. They attached it back on and I have full feeling in it, and it looks just normal. I guess I'm really lucky.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-10-24, 11:17 AM #9
I want to hear the wounded penis story.

[edit- I think...]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-10-24, 11:17 AM #10
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]I cut off my thumb with an axe in the 2nd grade. Not kidding. I didn't really feel any pain because it was so quick, but just seeing a pool of blood around your thumb will get you to scream. They attached it back on and I have full feeling in it, and it looks just normal. I guess I'm really lucky.[/QUOTE]

Who the hell gave YOU an axe in second grade?

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-10-24, 11:17 AM #11
I have an inch long scar on the palm side of my left thumb from when I cut it down to the bone. It didn't really hurt bercause I did something pretty dumb with a knife.
Pissed Off?
2006-10-24, 11:39 AM #12
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Who the hell gave YOU an axe in second grade?[/QUOTE]

Well they needed something sharp and big to deal with the nose. But when they hit, his nose counter-attacked and threw the axe at the thumb.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-10-24, 11:45 AM #13
Jepman has a huge penis.
2006-10-24, 11:49 AM #14
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]I cut off my thumb with an axe in the 2nd grade. Not kidding. I didn't really feel any pain because it was so quick, but just seeing a pool of blood around your thumb will get you to scream. They attached it back on and I have full feeling in it, and it looks just normal. I guess I'm really lucky.[/QUOTE]

Did they put the thumb on ice?
2006-10-24, 11:50 AM #15
No stupid, they put it back on my hand. What kind of a moronic question was that? :v:
2006-10-24, 11:56 AM #16
I'm not sure if this counts as cutting, but I once put my feet down really fast as I was stopping my bike and losing balance and one of the teeth of the gear attached to the pedal gouged right into my shin. It pushed all the layers of skin up into a little chunk. It was cool. :cool:
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-10-24, 12:14 PM #17
I put a knife through the webbing between my thumb and my index finger.

I was young and trying to pry the mushrooms off a frozen pizza. The mushroom came off, the knife kept going. then BAM right through.
2006-10-24, 12:19 PM #18
I once cleft my thumb in twain.

Well not really, I was trying to cut something and had the knife at an awkward angle, and it slipped and then all of a sudden my thumb had a mouth. I'm pretty sure the only thing that stopped it was the bone; it even went partway through the nail.

Oh and there was that time that I broke both my arms, and posted about it on massassi before going to the hospital.
Stuff
2006-10-24, 12:25 PM #19
Originally posted by Overlord:
I put a knife through the webbing between my thumb and my index finger.

I was young and trying to pry the mushrooms off a frozen pizza. The mushroom came off, the knife kept going. then BAM right through.

That'll learn ya. Mushrooms are awesome.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-10-24, 12:25 PM #20
Haha... DSettehr (s?) stabbed himself in the finger with a pencil and severed some nerves..

I remember that thread.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-10-24, 12:41 PM #21
I had a bicycle accident 2 weeks ago and got a lot of road rash. Most of my skin has grown back on my arm but it looks like it'll be slightly scarred since the scabs kept getting broken everytime I bent my elbow.
The hand was pretty cool, loads of skin just peeled back off my palm and just sat all rolled up still attached near my wrist. Hands heal surprisingly fast though.
2006-10-24, 12:49 PM #22
Not a cut, but certainly shocking. (lol pun)

6 years old, tried to get an extension cord out of a wall. Couldn't pull it out, so in a stroke of genius, I grabbed a flathead screwdriver and tried to pry it out.

Everything went black for a second, and then... well... my hair was a bit frizzly and there was a nice burn mark on hte screwdriver and the wall/socket.
2006-10-24, 1:11 PM #23
Echo, I had a cut just like that when I was little. It was fairly deep, it cut a little bit of nerve stuff, too, so now there's a little spot on my thumb that has no feeling at all. Weird. Anyway, I might go to a doctor and get it stitched up so that it doesn't heal weird. I got 4 stitches...now the only record is a long thin crease in the webbing that doesn't match the angle of the natural creases.
Warhead[97]
2006-10-24, 1:17 PM #24

Am I the only one here that's never done something completely retarded and injured himself?

I mean, I've never broken anything, I've never managed to slice part of my body open, I've never cut anything off, I have only two scars, one from my hernia operation (that hernia doesn't count as something stupid, I had it for years and never knew what caused it) and one on my elbow where an exfriend rammed me into the pavement like a jackass.... Hell, I've only been stung by a bee ONCE.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-10-24, 1:18 PM #25
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/martynpie/ttiwwop.gif]
2006-10-24, 1:38 PM #26
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:

Am I the only one here that's never done something completely retarded and injured himself?

I mean, I've never broken anything, I've never managed to slice part of my body open, I've never cut anything off, I have only two scars, one from my hernia operation (that hernia doesn't count as something stupid, I had it for years and never knew what caused it) and one on my elbow where an exfriend rammed me into the pavement like a jackass.... Hell, I've only been stung by a bee ONCE.

get out of the house much?

:v:
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-10-24, 1:44 PM #27
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
I got 4 stitches...now the only record is a long thin crease in the webbing that doesn't match the angle of the natural creases.

I didn't know they can add stiches to such a flexible area of skin.
2006-10-24, 1:51 PM #28
Dude, I say you should staple your 'gash' closed.
2006-10-24, 1:51 PM #29
Originally posted by Jepman:

This man's got it right!
2006-10-24, 1:59 PM #30
Originally posted by Jepman:

...that's what she said.

Oh, and I suppose that "webbing" you cut could be classified as "frenulum" though I don't recommend searching that phrase as it deals with web-like tissue in many places, including genitals.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-24, 2:15 PM #31
Originally posted by Seb:

Yeah really, sounds like you're a very boring person.

One time, a friend and I were sledding down a hill. The hill was covered in ice, because we turned on a fire hydrant and flooded it so we could go down faster. We would fly down on the two-man sled, then crash into a big snow drift.

After 7 or 8 runs, the snow drift was gone. We flew down went through the space formerly occupied by snow, and crashed into a hay bale. Now, hay bales are only 24 inches tall, so the sled stopped, but the bodies kept going. The hay bales served as a fence to seperate the walkway from a 15 foot drop. I floated through the air. It was an incredible sensation to be flying through space with nothing seperating me from a trip to ER except 15 feet of cold winter air. It felt like hours went by as I tumbled headlong down the drop. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to sprout wings and turn into a Stevenbird, when gravity kicked in and I fell down to the earth. I managed to shatter my left ankle, and had to get 4 pins inserted. My friend, who was in the back of the sled, landed his *** gracefully on the top of the hay bale.
2006-10-24, 2:58 PM #32
Two years ago my girlfriend and I were carving pumpkins on Oct 30th. She was cutting the lid on hers and moving the knife toward herself. She slipped and nearly stabbed herself in the stomache, so she decided it would probably be smarter to go the other way. She put the knife in the pumpkin, pulled it up, and on the way down somehow managed to stab herself in the thumb. On our way to the emergency room, she realized that no only had she cut herself, but the knife actually went all the way through her thumb and out the other side. There was even bits of hand guts (whiteish/red stuff) sticking out the end where the tip of the knife came out. She got stitches on both sides.

[edit]Also, that same year, just 28 days earlier she had slammed the same thumb in the car door.
2006-10-24, 3:19 PM #33
I've never cut myself so badly that I've had to get stitches or anything.

About two months ago at work I dropped a 30-ton bottle jack on my thumb. It was bloody and the nail kind of fell off. Didn't bother going to the doctor though. The nail has mostly grown back, though it looks all messed up. Maybe it'll get better with time.

The only other exciting gashing/cutting wasn't done by me, but by a surgeon. Had to get an appendectomy my sophomore year in high school, about two weeks before going to Poland for Christmas. I also participated in the Tuba Christmas choir naught 4 days later, lifting a 40 lb Tuba around the mall when my doctor specifically told me not to lift anything for a month. Luckily, nothing happened.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-10-24, 4:01 PM #34
Originally posted by Seb:

Actually, yeah. I just don't do stupid retarded things.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-10-24, 4:14 PM #35
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Actually, yeah. I just don't do stupid retarded things.

Like ride bicycles, cook food, do outdoor sports etc?
2006-10-24, 6:31 PM #36
Originally posted by Recusant:
Like ride bicycles, cook food, do outdoor sports etc?

I ride my bike weekly, I cook food all the time, I've never played sports because they never remotely interested me.
Last Stand
2006-10-24, 6:32 PM #37
Because you're a limp wristed panty waisted girly man-sissy.
2006-10-24, 7:03 PM #38
Originally posted by Steven:
Because you're a limp wristed panty waisted girly man-sissy.

No. I just don't care for sports at all.
Last Stand
2006-10-24, 7:10 PM #39
If it ain't risky, it ain't worth doin'. I got my only cut requiring stitches while brushing my teeth!
Warhead[97]
2006-10-24, 7:13 PM #40
Only time I've had to get stitches was from a work injury. I was wiping down some metal once with thinner and then with acid. I noticed the burr by the hole cut in the metal, so I started to take my time around that area. I must have been taking too long and a coworker asked if I was done yet. Being stupid I started scrubbing away real quick with the acid. Sure enough I catch that sharp metal burr, it ripped through my glove and into my pinky finger.

↑ Up to the top!