Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What kind of RTS style do you have?
What kind of RTS style do you have?
2006-10-28, 11:02 PM #1
I was playing Empire at War and I got curious. What strategy do you use the most in RTS games? Are you a tank rusher? A zerger?(all out assault, usually with basic units) Do you turtle?(build up defenses, wait for your enemy to waste his resources trying to get in then attack) Air unit swarm?

I found through many RTS games(ie Warcraft, Empire at War, C&C Generals) that what I usually do is build up an army of air units and artillery units. I push the artillery units forward, destroying everything at longe range and then covering them with the air units. I think air units make very good defenders of artillery since they are usually quick and they are not on the same plane of movement as the artillery, so there is less bunching and funneling. I find I rarely use infantry or armor units.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-10-28, 11:09 PM #2
my strategy:

1. "wtf, how does this work"

2. "wtf, I need resources"

3. lose
2006-10-28, 11:21 PM #3
quantity>quality
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-10-28, 11:22 PM #4
I don't like playing RTS online as I'm pretty hopeless (I'm usually too slow or too resource oriented to win by myself) so I only ever play teamplay. The only RTS I enjoy playing online was AoK. I would rush all my units to my teammate's area and start plogging out resources while he did the defensive stuff. Then we would probably share the resources and build up 2 seperate armies and either go for an all out strike (and hope we succeed) or take turns striking, building up another army.
2006-10-28, 11:30 PM #5
quality>quantity

Also, I am an uber turtle.
2006-10-28, 11:37 PM #6
Turtler.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-10-28, 11:41 PM #7
My men fight like British Regulars. Stand in a line and hope they miss.
2006-10-28, 11:43 PM #8
I always used to build the minimum amount nessecary, and try to finish the game with a handful of elite units.

I lost at RTS games a lot. :v:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-10-28, 11:57 PM #9
I'm that annoying guy that builds a zillion towers/bunkers/tesla coils/fortresses/walls everywhere. With no real strategy to win. The point is to build an insane defense and survive as long as possible.

If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll build a superarmy and hide them somewhere in the corner of the map. Then when the enemy is bogged down in my defenses, I'll make a mad dash for his weakest point.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-10-29, 12:17 AM #10
I don't usually have any strategy :V:

But always at one point or another I start building massive human waves. Damn those were fun.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-10-29, 12:22 AM #11
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']my strategy:

3. lose

Same.

Also, SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-10-29, 12:37 AM #12
I only ever play rpg maps. So my strategy would be: kill lots and level up.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-10-29, 12:44 AM #13
I don't have a style.

Unless you count "excellence" as a style.
D E A T H
2006-10-29, 1:42 AM #14
Depends on the game.
2006-10-29, 1:48 AM #15
Hey Chaz! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Also: My strategy is to just plain lose. :p Usually I go for a combination of all those strategies, and then none of them work.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-10-29, 2:25 AM #16
I practice the rare art of doing as much damage as possible before my inevitable defeate.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-29, 2:43 AM #17
I'm way, way, way, way too defensive.

I don't attack. Ever. And am more content with a pretty-looking base.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-10-29, 3:03 AM #18
ZERG RUSH!!!
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-10-29, 3:30 AM #19
I always liked the engineer rush in the Red Alert series. :v:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-10-29, 5:56 AM #20
Air power. If I'm playing a scenario with air power disabled, then I'm turtle. Artillery long-balls the AA defenses, then I go in and rape them from above.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-10-29, 6:17 AM #21
I don't play online, but I'm a huge fan of building up huge cities/fortresses and stretching big walls across the map, as well as creating elaborate defenses (double walls, killzones, etc.). I pretty much exclusively play Empire Earth 2 for that exact reason, particularly because I get to be obsessive over the layout of roads and such :o I enjoyed Stronghold for much the same reason, actually.
2006-10-29, 6:22 AM #22
Massive bases, awesome walls. I take advantage of the fact that if the AI can find a path past the walls they won't knock them down, so I make huge spiral wall networks around my bases that are lined by turrets the entire length.

I don't bother attacking until i've maxed out all technologies and my base is indestructable, which often never happens.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-10-29, 6:26 AM #23
I constantly send crappy units at my enemy to hinder their development while building up uber defenses.
2006-10-29, 6:41 AM #24
I on the other hand, can't stand walls. Waste of reasources, I'd rather just build open killzones.
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-10-29, 6:43 AM #25
On starcraft I used to build huge fields of those protos cannons, and while my opponent was busy with them I'd make about a dozen of those blue glowing guys and send them out to wipe up the mess.
2006-10-29, 7:18 AM #26
early rush/aggressive, because all the rts I play force you to do this :P
2006-10-29, 7:31 AM #27
Originally posted by Rob:
On starcraft I used to build huge fields of those protos cannons, and while my opponent was busy with them I'd make about a dozen of those blue glowing guys and send them out to wipe up the mess.

That doesn't work at all against someone who knows what range is, but it's still funny when it works :D

Most effective method: dropping on the enemy's command center/resource gathering. No resources = no units = no chance.
2006-10-29, 8:05 AM #28
In Galactic Battlegrounds (I know, I know, boooooo) I found that flying a fleet of T/Bs and taking out the power gens was the most effective method of crippling production. Even if you lost a bunch in the process, you didn't need that many to take out a shielded power gen (yay for attack bonuses).
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-10-29, 8:59 AM #29
Dawn of War can be very irritating... Especially when a Waagh! composed of 85% cheap Ork infantry with a couple of Killa Kans and every one of their commander units manages to slaughter my Karsrkin, destroy my Baneblade, and all while I have them backed up by over five Leman Russ tanks. I survived, but the next wave came alot sooner than I expected...

Oh well, just another day in 40k. Send in the Space Marines.

I wonder if using a more mobile style would work better with the Imperial Guard... I've also learned that Chimeras can be cheap and effective firepower.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-10-29, 9:01 AM #30
You can't stop the chariot rush in AoE
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-10-29, 9:14 AM #31
I usually employ a losing strategy. :(
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2006-10-29, 9:16 AM #32
It's sort of a combination of 3. I tend to turtle but i try and send out squads of basic units to hinder the development of the enemy. When my base is nearing a good standard of Defense I tend to break out air power and the heavy guns.
nope.
2006-10-29, 9:46 AM #33
In team games, I like to use the bets units for destroying buildings. Otherwise, it's all about the magic users / units with special abilities.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-10-29, 10:00 AM #34
I usually end up turtling or not mining enough of one resource and getting ****ed.

Although there are the occasional times in TA when i REALLY want to win for no reason. In that i end up flanking one side repeatedly with ground units then decimating most iof the base with air. Then depending on the map ill send in some cruisers and finish it. Or if i cant have cruisers ill just flank the other side.
2006-10-29, 10:40 AM #35
Rusher. In AoE it was the tower rush. In AoE2, the monk rush. Still working on AoE3.

Great fun.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-10-29, 10:51 AM #36
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']my strategy:

3. lose

Hahaha..that's me as well.
woot!
2006-10-29, 11:17 AM #37
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
In Galactic Battlegrounds (I know, I know, boooooo) I found that flying a fleet of T/Bs and taking out the power gens was the most effective method of crippling production. Even if you lost a bunch in the process, you didn't need that many to take out a shielded power gen (yay for attack bonuses).

I love that game. It's the most underrated RTS ever, in my opinion. Do you have Clone Campaigns?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-10-29, 11:40 AM #38
This just in: Any Imperial Guard player not making use of the Basilisk, is asking for it. Orks like to mass their infantry before an attack. Just point a Basilisk(Or three...) at them and let the artillery keep them busy while you tend to other things, like seizing 3/4 of the map and waiting for the last quarter(Read: Enemy Base) to run out of resources.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-10-29, 11:50 AM #39
[QUOTE=Commander 598]This just in: Any Imperial Guard player not making use of the Basilisk, is asking for it. Orks like to mass their infantry before an attack. Just point a Basilisk(Or three...) at them and let the artillery keep them busy while you tend to other things, like seizing 3/4 of the map and waiting for the last quarter(Read: Enemy Base) to run out of resources.[/QUOTE]
Well durr. Anyone who's ever played WH40k for real would know that.
D E A T H
2006-10-29, 12:39 PM #40
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I love that game. It's the most underrated RTS ever, in my opinion. Do you have Clone Campaigns?

Yeah, I've got CC. Seperatist Assault Mechs rock.
$do || ! $do ; try

↑ Up to the top!