Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 5.15 an hour
5.15 an hour
2004-07-04, 7:00 PM #1
is 5.15 an hour below minium wage? Cuz i got paid that for my job, and i heard minium wage is 5.45 but im not sure. Is it illegal to pay someone below minium wage

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-04, 7:02 PM #2
in the USA it's $2.65 - $7.15, depending on where you live. Most states are $5.15 though.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 04, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-04, 7:13 PM #3
$5.15 an hour, regardless of the state. No one could survive off of $2.65. It's been $5.15 since October of 1997, yes, it's been that long.

There is a probational period (Kroger does this cause they are cheap and have no respect for there employees) that can give you $4.75 an hour for 90 days.

Servers/waiters minimum wage is $2.13 an hour.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-07-04, 7:14 PM #4
I'm pretty sure it's different depending on the state.

I know this because I have friends that make $5.15 an hour, but Rhode Island rocks so I make $6.75 an hour. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 04, 2004).]
2004-07-04, 7:19 PM #5
Depends on the occupation. Right at the bottom of the page, it says
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Like the Federal wage and hour law, State law often exempts particular occupations or industries from the minimum labor standard generally applied to covered employment.</font>

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-04, 7:29 PM #6
Sweet. My state's at $5.50, which above the federal. And on new years, it goes up to $6.50. YES!
...wait, this is still pretty low if I want leisure money, too.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-04, 7:46 PM #7
I make $9.75 an hour... POOR PEOPLE! Bahahaha, only 70 years until retirement at this rate!

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-07-04, 7:49 PM #8
In most of CA it's $6.75 I believe, but in the SF area it's up to $7.50 I think.

And hopefully in a few days I'll be starting at Whole Foods Market wher I'll be getting a wage of $9.00 an hour. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-04, 7:50 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I make $9.75 an hour... POOR PEOPLE! Bahahaha, only 70 years until retirement at this rate!</font>

Pff... I make $15.06 an hour [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-04, 7:50 PM #10
But don't you see? Raising minimum wage decreases the value of money, resulting in inflation, which raises the wages of higher paying jobs, resulting in more inflation, which increases minimum wage again...

It's madness... MADNESS, I say!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-04, 8:20 PM #11
I make $15.20 an hour. Not bad for a job a semi-trained monkey could do.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-04, 8:54 PM #12
i think minium wage should be raised up to 6.75 so single mothers with kids can be less dependant on the govt for welfare, etc.

------------------
2004-07-04, 8:58 PM #13
I try not to think. It makes my head hurt.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-04, 9:01 PM #14
YesSir, You can't say that, because it depends on the case. I mean if it's a mother that got divorced because her husband beat her or her husband died or something..or even if a girl got raped yeah...but if it's a single teenage mom who just decided to f*** around with some guy, then no. It would be stupid to raise the minimum to help one group of people. What about the Homeless? Poor? Single Fathers? etc... your signature says it best: " don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby "

------------------

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 05, 2004).]
2004-07-05, 2:36 AM #15
The job I should be called about soon pays $6.85 (Canadian) :/

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-07-05, 2:53 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
Servers/waiters minimum wage is $2.13 an hour.</font>

That's....so very very crazy. No wonder you people tip like mad, how is anyone supposed to live off that?
I see a tip as a bonus for a job well done, not a subsidy because otherwise you'll starve to death doing that job!

Oh, and I'm on £8 ~ $14

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-07-05, 3:30 AM #17
I do know that, at least here in the state of IL, if a business haseless than 15 employees, minimum wage isn't the same amount. I can't remember what its supposed to be. My family runs a smalllittle hardware store, that's where i came across that bit of info.

------------------
"I like my women how I like my coffee, in a plastic cup." - Eddie Izzard
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-07-05, 5:00 AM #18
Over here, minimum wage doesn't apply to under-18s, apparently. And it's just under £4.

My current part-time job? Eleven hours, three times a year, at £5.32 an hour. No tax, either.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-05, 5:36 AM #19
Why do people keep asking about living on the minimum wage? Who would want to live on the minimum wage anyway?

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-05, 5:40 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
Pff... I make $15.06 an hour [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

I make $35 an hour, and that's only my starting wage... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-05, 6:11 AM #21
As stated by one above, it's stupid these people 'asking' for a higher minimum wage.

All this does if they increase it is hurt the economy. Take any macroeconomic class and you will dicuss this very topic (Regardless of the political party of the teacher - since Democrats want to raise minimum wage.)
2004-07-05, 6:54 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
I make $35 an hour, and that's only my starting wage... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I work as a student in the smelting halls of an aluminum plant. The permanents get paid $30/h and over, depending on how many years they have been with the company.

I'll be rich once I'm done university though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-05, 7:17 AM #23
5.15 is nationwide minimum wage, unless you're a waitress as THRAWN posted. They get plenty of tips if they do their job well though.

Me? 5.50. AL doesn't totally suck.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-05, 7:24 AM #24
I get paid $6.63 and hour, tax-free. Where am I right now? Work. What am I doing? Not a damn thing. I both love and hate my job at the same time.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-07-05, 7:48 AM #25
i donno, i think i'm getting ripped off

i work 3-4 days a week babysitting 5 children from the ages of 10-15, all for $150 a week. 4 days- 39hours, 3 days - 27(ish) hours, but regardless i get paied $150.

so on a 4 day week i get paied $3.85 an hour
and on a 3 day week, i get, $5.50 an hour

so, yah i'm getting ripped off.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-07-05, 8:20 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I make $15.20 an hour. Not bad for a job a semi-trained monkey could do.

</font>

what do you do?

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 8:56 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
what do you do?</font>

I work at a supermarket. And that's $AUD [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-05, 9:31 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I work at a supermarket. And that's $AUD [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

Ah, i thought you were doing IT work or something like that, you know, something even a monkey could do. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 9:46 AM #29
11.78 to do ****. God Bless America.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-07-05, 10:14 AM #30
Minimum wage is $6.75 is California. There are stirrings to have it increased

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-05, 10:52 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i think minium wage should be raised up to 6.75 so single mothers with kids can be less dependant on the govt for welfare, etc.</font>
No. Consider the long term. A higher minimum wage simply destroys the economy.

First, companies have to pay their employees more, so they try to do the same job with less employees resulting in less jobs and cheaper quality products, then they charge more for those products to make up for having to pay so much. On top of that, employers lower the wages of their higher paying jobs to try and cut costs even more, so the managers are barely making more then the other employees. This takes the money away from the people who need it (those working to support their families) and gives it to those who don't need it (teenaged kids wanting to buy that new amp for their car stereo) (I know that's a bit stereotypical, but generally it's true). Furthermore, it destroys the work ethic of most employees, who think, "Why should I try harder? If I get promoted, I'll have 10 times the responsibilities, but I'll only get paid 50 cents more... I might as well just stay where I am and not even try for a promotion."

Now, I'm not against a minimum wage. I believe that a worker should be payed for a good job done. But having it up at 6.50 to 7.00 (here in Washington State, it's 7.16 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] ) is rediculous. I like the national base wage of 5.15, and I think there should be a law passed that makes it so a state's min. wage can't be a certain % higher than the national wage.

------------------
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-05, 3:01 PM #32
Minimum wage here is 7.15, but I wouldn't get a job that payed minimum wage unless I was homeless or something else that would make me that desperate.

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-07-05, 3:18 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mavispoo:
That's....so very very crazy. No wonder you people tip like mad, how is anyone supposed to live off that?
I see a tip as a bonus for a job well done, not a subsidy because otherwise you'll starve to death doing that job!

Oh, and I'm on £8 ~ $14

</font>

Maeve, the reason why it's so low for waiters/servers is BECAUSE of tips. Even making 2.50 an hour, if you add in tips, the average waiter/waitress usually ends up making around 8-12 bucks an hour.

[This message has been edited by powertickle (edited July 05, 2004).]
2004-07-05, 3:48 PM #34
About how much does flippin' burgers at MickyD's pay?

(MickyD's = McDonald's >_> )

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-05, 4:20 PM #35
I can't wait 'till oS sees this. Heh... sorry oS.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-05, 6:22 PM #36
I'll just sit back and enjoy my 8.50 an hour for sitting at computers all day. I think I'll go listen to my new 300 dollar mp3 player that I got with my 8.50 an hour paycheck...

Hate me! Although, I know some of you have pretty good jobs too, that pay really well. kak gets good money in tips :P

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-05, 6:35 PM #37
ubuu makes 11.78 but really only makes 7.80...he knows what i meean

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:59 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by powertickle:
Maeve, the reason why it's so low for waiters/servers is BECAUSE of tips. Even making 2.50 an hour, if you add in tips, the average waiter/waitress usually ends up making around 8-12 bucks an hour. </font>

Yeah, but it's a circular thing - they got paid so little, so people tip more, so getting paid less seems acceptable now.

------------------
/end boob rant

2004-07-06, 4:07 AM #39
Meh, tipping is a standard procedure, and tip amount is 15% of the final cost, it's not based on how much the server makes. It's been that way for a longass time, and that's what minimum wages were based on. I know some people who are waiters/waitresses and make 6.50 an hour plus tip. They end up pulling in like 15-17 bucks an hour. *******s...
2004-07-06, 4:23 AM #40
Yeah...I just think that the whole point of tipping is to reward someone if they did a really good job. But Americans can't really think like that with the wages being what they are.

------------------
/end boob rant

↑ Up to the top!