Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Are You Afraid Of Death ?
Are You Afraid Of Death ?
2004-07-03, 8:23 AM #1
Strange out-of-the-blue question!!

Y'see. I'm not really anymore. For 2 reasons:

I do believe in an afterlife. Modern science doesnt discredit such things, in fact, recently an experiment actually gave it credit!! I believe some of my essence or spirit would remain in tact and remain on earth.

And secondly, the 1st 20 years of my life have been awful. Kinda a bad upbringing, neglected somewhat, never social until 19 or so. ANd even then I got used abused to such an extent my friends still joke I am the unlukiest guy ever. I seem to constantly battle sadness and a broken heart, so dying would simply be a release from this endless s***.

How do you see it?

D.i.s.c.u.s.s

this is serious

------------------
[url="http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit1.mp3

http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit2.mp3"]http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit1.mp3

http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit2.mp3[/url]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-07-03, 8:26 AM #2
Yes.

Why?

Because I believe it's impossible to be totally unafraid of death.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-03, 8:27 AM #3
Dying can be scary. Death itself isn't really a frightening thing. But I sure don't want to dye at this particular point in my life, when I've accomplished nothing of value.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-03, 8:29 AM #4
It's not the fear of death itself that bugs people, it's mostly dying when you don't feel it's your time. dying too soon and leaving stuff incomplete.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-07-03, 8:31 AM #5
"Life is pleasant, and death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-03, 8:31 AM #6
[http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//devil/firedevil.gif] I AM death!! [http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//devil/firedevil.gif]

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-07-03, 8:37 AM #7
Then are you afraid of yourself?

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-07-03, 8:37 AM #8
Not really.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-07-03, 8:38 AM #9
Yeah... My death would cause a lot of grief to people I love. I think that's reason enough to fear death.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-03, 8:48 AM #10
Meh, it happens, nothing you can do about it. Being afraid only makes it worse.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-03, 9:01 AM #11
Something along the lines of what SAJN said.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-03, 9:06 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Dying can be scary. Death itself isn't really a frightening thing. But I sure don't want to dye at this particular point in my life, when I've accomplished nothing of value.

</font>

I know! It's really annoying when you get split ends and the result isn't even close to the shade you were going for.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-03, 9:06 AM #13
Do I fear death... hmmm no. It's more... well I don't want to die, and it would be horrible, but I'm not really... afraid of it. You see where I'm going?

I've got so much that I would lose, and I hope that losing me would be losing so much to <certain people> so Death would suck... but there's really no fear....? Maybe I'd be afraid if I was close to death...

hmm

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-07-03, 9:17 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
I know! It's really annoying when you get split ends and the result isn't even close to the shade you were going for.</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]
Apparently, I was thinking about my hair, which coincidentally needs a touch-up.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-03, 9:36 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saberopus:
Do I fear death... hmmm no. It's more... well I don't want to die, and it would be horrible, but I'm not really... afraid of it. You see where I'm going?

I've got so much that I would lose, and I hope that losing me would be losing so much to <certain people> so Death would suck... but there's really no fear....? Maybe I'd be afraid if I was close to death...

hmm

</font>

Same [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-07-03, 9:40 AM #16
I'm not afraid of death, but dying at the moment is not part of my schedule.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-03, 10:41 AM #17
Hell yes, I'm afraid of death. I don't want to die until I'm at least 30.
2004-07-03, 10:45 AM #18
Heh.. I've been around death all my life.

For those who don't know, my mother is a licensed Funeral Director in the wondrously boring state of Pennsylvania. She's a third-generation mortician. So yeah, death is a common part of my daily life.

That said, no I'm honestly not afraid of death, or of dead people, etc. Maybe I'm just numb to it after all these years, but whatever. Everyone dies, so why bother living life fearing the inevitable?

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, Duel Dustball, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-07-03, 10:52 AM #19
I'm not afraid of dying. I'm only afraid of dying without having done anything meaningful in my life.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-03, 11:35 AM #20
Im not afraid of death.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-03, 11:44 AM #21
I agree with most people here about the transition being the worst part. I've never really been confronted with death though, so I don't know yet.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-07-03, 11:47 AM #22
I see it this way. If I think about death now, I think "Bring it on, I'm not afraid!" But, I only think that because I'm not in a threatening situation that could involve death. Now, if I were to be at point blank with somebody holding a gun to my face, I wouldn't be standing still embracing it. Pain is another factor. If you are afraid to get hurt, say somebody punches you joking around, and you said you didn't want to, it is also somewhat linked in that although you won't die, it's a route to it and you don't want him to punch you, making you fear pain, but also fearing death. In simpliar terms, if you fear pain, you fear death.

^The last bit is kind of confusing.

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-07-03, 11:50 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Something along the lines of what SAJN said.

</font>

Like anything you say counts, Mr. "Har I'll still be around after nuclear holocaust!" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-03, 3:26 PM #24
Like Dogbert says, "You eat, sleep, work, and try not to die. Unless of cource, you find religon in which case you eat sleep, work, and look foreward to dieing." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
I'm not afraid of Death, cause I'll be going ot heven. Then we start over with a perfect world.
Life with out you CPU over heating... Ahhh. Well, that's a small part of it anyway.
2004-07-03, 3:42 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I'm not afraid of Death, cause I'll be going ot heven.</font>
*cough*

[This message has been edited by Omicron88 (edited July 03, 2004).]
2004-07-03, 3:44 PM #26
i want my death to wait until after my 100th birthday so i can die of a drug overdose

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-03, 4:08 PM #27
*points at birdbath*

"DEAAAAAATH!" [/Grandpa simpson]

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

To answer the question, no, I'm not afraid of death. Everyone dies at some point, so what's the use in trying to run from it?

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-03, 4:24 PM #28
The same way someone that believes in an afterlife sees death, I see it. I find death a comfortable reality, where I know that there's an end, and because I know that there's an end, and I don't know when my ends will come, I make every day my last, every moment importent, and every action unregretable. At least, I try to live this way.

JediKirby

------------------
-Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-03, 4:29 PM #29
What do you mean *cough*? You don't even know me? If your an athiest you must just be trying to start a flame war so I'll ignore that. *Stands by to recive brownie points from admins* [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-07-03, 4:33 PM #30
No I'm not.
I'm a Christian. I know where I'll be.

and mostly, I hate myself more than anything. I wish I was dead. I wish I could kill myself a thousand times. I want this lonely dark tormented hell to end.

------------------
"Father to your hands I commend my spirirt. Father to your hands-Why have you forsaken me?"
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-07-03, 4:55 PM #31
Well, as long as your with God, God will see you throuhg it. I bet hell will be an eternity of being alone, with nothing and no-one but yourself. That's the worst possible fate I can think of.
2004-07-03, 6:04 PM #32
Ever thought about the fact that an eternity of anything would end up being the worst possible eternity? Burning or vasting in a paradise, it's forever. I'd think that just as we want to be in heven, someone in the situation of heven would want to be lacking in exsistance.

JediKirby

------------------
-Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-03, 6:17 PM #33
I'm sure God will find something to keep us preoccupied. Just like on a Cruise, there's always something do because there's always several events to choose from.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-07-03, 6:23 PM #34
I really don't have a religion, so yes, I know I'm screwed. Anyway, I've had a theory, that Heaven and Hell are only what we make them seem. If you think Heaven is a paradise in the sky with angels and treasure, then so be it, that's what you'll see if you go to Heaven. But, if you go to Hell, and you're whole life you thought of Hell as an endless pit full of fire and demons, then that's what you shall see. It could vary aswell. If you don't care, and really don't believe in either place, then when you die you'll just see your house, your life, and what you had in your living form for Heaven or Hell.

In a way, it's deciding how you want to live your after-life.

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-07-04, 1:08 AM #35
If you die, you die. But the actual knowing you're about to die is probably the scary bit.

For the record, I'm strongly atheist, so when you die, sure, you're gone... but look on the bright side! It's party time for all the little worms!

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-04, 1:22 AM #36
I'm not afraid of death.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-07-04, 1:53 AM #37
I'm gave up being afraid of death a long time ago. No point in worrying about the inevitable.

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-07-04, 4:57 AM #38
I'm not really afraid of death, just the excruciating pain that usually goes along with it.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-07-04, 5:16 AM #39
I'm trying to figure out how I can contribute to this whole "forum" thing without either spurting random babble, relating semi-incriminating tales or just plain old getting myself banned.

Note, I picked your thread at random clan whasyerame.

ONWARDS TO BLUENESS, FEED THE MONSTER!!
2004-07-04, 5:30 AM #40
I'm not too fussed by the death of anyone, its just the next phase of life... might be fun.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.

↑ Up to the top!