Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Happy day for Democrats!
Happy day for Democrats!
2006-11-07, 8:41 PM #1
"CNN projects that when all votes are in, Democrats will take control of the House of Representatives. The Senate remains in the balance, with projections so far having Democrats winning three of the six seats they need."

Yay! Took us long enough!

http://www.cnn.com

http://www.usatoday.com
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-07, 8:42 PM #2
Dang.

What do we get to whine about now
2006-11-07, 8:44 PM #3
The Dem thats taking our Senate seat has the most awfully whinny voice, ever
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-07, 8:46 PM #4
I'm glad the Democrats are in control. Bottom line

(Wisconsin = Blue State)
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-11-07, 8:46 PM #5
Dammit! The whole country's gone to hell. What's wrong with this place, anyway?! Time to start going for states rights...
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-11-07, 8:57 PM #6
Yes. Happy day for the democrats. Sad day for the country. Of course, its not much better with the Republicans in control but its still better than the democrats.
2006-11-07, 8:58 PM #7
What.

It's a sad day for AZ though.
2006-11-07, 8:58 PM #8
lol
2006-11-07, 8:59 PM #9
hurrr
2006-11-07, 9:01 PM #10
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

Ladies and Gentlemen that is NOT a good thing.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-07, 9:03 PM #11
mixed yay and not yay
一个大西瓜
2006-11-07, 9:03 PM #12
My main concern is that govt. control is going to expand further with the dems in control of the house. I don't see the control that the republicans brought lifting any but I do see plenty room for the democrats bringing more control. We do NOT need that.
2006-11-07, 9:03 PM #13
Indeed it is not.
Pissed Off?
2006-11-07, 9:06 PM #14
You know, I've never voted for a democrat in my life until today. I'm sick of the republicans having control of the white house and both houses of congress because they push through all the laws they want, with virtually no compromises. Even though I disagree with 90% of what the democrats claim to believe in, I still think (especially after the last 6 years) that they should have control over one of the three so at least there will have to be some semblence of compromise.

The laws that are the worst:
PATRIOT ACT + RENEWEL
REAL ID ACT
DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY

BTW, I've sided with republicans for so long because of some of their major party-line beliefs, one of the main ones being lower taxes and smaller government. But Bush created the largest government entity in the history of the country with the DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY, so I don't really consider him or any of his hardcore followers to be real Republicans (and thus him and his won't ever get my vote again).
2006-11-07, 9:08 PM #15
Actually, I'm with Brian.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-11-07, 9:10 PM #16
Originally posted by Brian:
The laws that are the worst:
PATRIOT ACT + RENEWEL
REAL ID ACT
DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY

I know. It's pretty awful. I don't agree with democrats 100%, but I far prefer them to most republicans, especially when it comes to morality issues. I hate to bring it up, but really...so many republicans are bible thumpers. Religion guides a lot of decisions and I find that very, very frightening. I think an agnostic moderate could make a great president, for example. But that's not likely to happen in the next half a century.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-11-07, 9:15 PM #17
Also a hooray day for the IRS. Much better chances for taxes to go up again. And minimum wage too! Yet over 70% of studies show how raising the minimum wage hurts the economy and companies - still that's facts. It just sounds more fair raising it! And our unemployment is what - 4.4% or so? 5% considered the benchmark. Any higher and its considered high - any lower than 5 it's very good.

Well, higher minimum wage = more unemployment.

*This is my area, so it strikes a nerve with me!*

Yay!

I'm going to laugh though when people realize the Democrats aren't the shining white horse that'll save this country. People are always going to ***** about something that's going on.

Who knows...this could actually hurt the Democrats for the presidential election. It gives the Republican side much more to work with in terms of criticizing (Raising taxes *lifting tax cuts*, etc)
2006-11-07, 9:22 PM #18
Actually Democrats ARE the shining white horse that are going to save this country.

From stupid, inane, and overly invasive laws that Republicans seem to try to hide as riders in every single bill they can.

I hope minimum wage goes up too--5.15 just IS NOT doing it anymore. Sorry.

Oh, I forgot, Republicanism is the only political methodology that works for anything ever. Except when you start ratifying bills which okay things that, constitutionally, should NEVER be okayed, all in the light of "national security".

Christ, you could pass a bill saying George W. could **** on any American's car he wanted to without repercussion as long as it was in light of "national security".

Don't be so bitter, Demon.
D E A T H
2006-11-07, 9:32 PM #19
No. Neither party is a ****ing shining white horse that's going to save the country. Get that through your thick skulls. There are too many extremes on both sides.
2006-11-07, 9:35 PM #20
Raising the minimum wage sounds good on text, but do some research into the issues with it. Some studies claim that it isn't bad, but most (70+%) of economic studies do show that it's not this magic button that will help people.

But you're not known for anything but your opinion Yoshi, so I really could care less what you say. When all you have a chance at being is middle class, of course you'll vote for the middle class. ;)
2006-11-07, 9:36 PM #21
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Actually Democrats ARE the shining white horse that are going to save this country.

From stupid, inane, and overly invasive laws that Republicans seem to try to hide as riders in every single bill they can.

I hope minimum wage goes up too--5.15 just IS NOT doing it anymore. Sorry.
[/QUOTE]

You don't even know what Democrats would do if they were in power. They haven't been. Clinton doesn't count, because he was way more conservative than any of the Democrats today. The problem is that stupid politicians keep pandering to the increasingly stupid people to give them free stuff. You think Democrats don't do this stuff too? Real life doesn't have those wonderful sweeping generalizations that you'd want it too. If the Democrats get in control for too long we'll end up like France. The the Republicans get in control for to long, they'll... probably end up doing the same thing now that I think about it. Just a bit slower. The people are the problem. In the end the government is by the people.

Take minimum wage for instance. Great you're making 7.00 an hour. But, oh wait, manufacturing prices have mysteriously gone up and everything costs 36% more. CEOs obviously won't eat the cost because if they would, workers would be getting more pay anyway, and we wouldn't have to raise minimum wage. What really sucks is that for people who are making 7.50$ an hour (like me) and won't get a raise, we'll be making less money.

Right now I view the GOP as the (slightly) lesser of two evils. Despite all the rampant fanboyism, the lines between them are becoming increasingly blurred.
2006-11-07, 9:38 PM #22
Demon, there's a lot of empirical data both supporting and against increases in minimum wage. Britain had it's minimum wage raised with little or no adverse consequences (this is not the US, I know, it's just an example off the top of my head). Other places it's been different. Frequently there are too many factors involved to be certain.

Ohio's issue 2 made $6.85 a constitutional amendment. I warily voted yes. I like the idea of increasing it but I'm apprehensive since it will be very difficult to change as an amendment.

Edit: Never mind, it wasn't an amendment, but a referendum, I think to an existing amendment on minimum wage? Man, I forget. I could have sworn it was an amendment though. Guess not. In any case it just passed.
2006-11-07, 9:39 PM #23
Pffffffffffffffttt... who gives a **** about the Democrats? There aren't two parties; there's only one party. They pretend they're two parties and their platforms are only 5% different. Is any Democrat going to break down all these broken programs, laws, and budgets and radically put them back together the right way?

HELL NO.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-07, 9:40 PM #24
Again, I acknowledge this. It's a bit over 20% showing that. Democrats fail to acknowledge what the other majority percentage shows though when they argue this.
2006-11-07, 9:47 PM #25
I want to see a new party. There are so many disenfranchised voters now that I think it could finally work.
2006-11-07, 9:55 PM #26
Libertarian party! Where's that dancing emoticon?
2006-11-07, 10:00 PM #27
Oh no, the Party chosen by God Himself didn't win :(
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-07, 10:01 PM #28
Originally posted by Emon:
Libertarian party! Where's that dancing emoticon?

Whooo! :)

I don't think the Libertarian Senate candidate won in NJ. :gbk:
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-11-07, 10:06 PM #29
Why haven't the Democrats fixed everything yet? :saddowns:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-07, 10:07 PM #30
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Oh no, the Party chosen by God Himself didn't win :(

Hahahaha! <3

Wait, did you just disprove God? :ninja:
2006-11-07, 10:22 PM #31
Missouri is being closely contested right now:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/enrweb/allresults.asp?eid=189

Looks like the Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill just passed the incumbent Jim Talent. Not that it really matters, as there are still about 800 precincts left to report, and I really don't like either of them, but I think McCaskill will do a better job.

The really interesting issue is Amendment 2, the Stem Cell Initiative. It's within 0.6% of winning at the moment, but again, 800 precincts still left to report. It'll be close. I'm following this one particularly closely because this issue will set the tone for the rest of the country.

I'm also kind of surprised the Tobacco Tax initiative is losing, and by a larger margin than I imagined. I know I voted no because I'm not confident the money will be used effectively. I guess neither are our voters. It does show that voters are leary of new taxes, especially with our government's track record of correctly appropriating funds.

The minimum wage increase looks like it is going to pass quite easily. I don't like the idea because I know it really won't change much. Honestly, the only companies left around here that pay minimum wage are fast food chains and the public swimming pools. Almost every retail outlet starts at $6.50 already, and most pay more than that. I'm sure there are some businesses that won't like it, such as small farmers that hire seasonal help for hay baling and so forth, but they'll just raise their prices, so it balances and we're back at square one.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-11-07, 10:25 PM #32
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Dang.

What do we get to whine about now

2006-11-07, 10:32 PM #33
From California:

Arnie gets a second term by a landslide.

prop 87 (easily the most controversial) is losing by a roughly 20% margin, hopefully it will stay that way.
2006-11-07, 10:38 PM #34
Page, why is it good that 87 is losing? From what I read, the tax on oil producers is prohibited from being passed on to the consumers, and it will fund alternative energy research. I don't see where this is bad. :confused:
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-11-07, 10:44 PM #35
I hate this hick state and every redneck who voted yes with every fiber of my being.
Attachment: 14504/pathetic.JPG (14,622 bytes)
2006-11-07, 11:31 PM #36
how about this. I hate all of you.

(:P)
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-11-08, 12:56 AM #37
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I hate this hick state and every redneck who voted yes with every fiber of my being.

Hating people for hating people. Cant we all just love?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-11-08, 1:14 AM #38
Yeah, lets leave minimum wage at $5.15.

Thats REALLY a living wage for one person, really.
2006-11-08, 1:21 AM #39
Originally posted by Freelancer:

It... went through.. [insert massive release of expletives here]. NONONONO!

Now, while I don't have an issue with homosexuals themselves (their lifestyle, not mine), I am against same-sex marriage. They can be all the homosexual they want, just leave me and my out of it. Same-sex marriage is not leaving me and my out of it, IMHO. /sigh

And, I must agree with you, Freelancer; and I even live in this bloody potato state. ><
Lurker Extraordinaire
2006-11-08, 1:40 AM #40
Holy ****. Did you just say that two people getting married has something to do with you? Are you daft?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!