Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Arrr! The console wars are killing me!
Arrr! The console wars are killing me!
2006-11-10, 1:53 PM #1
I have during the last generation always been on Sonys side. Due to the fact that i love the dualshock and that the ps2 pretty much won the last console war.

Now in this console war im looking at 700 bloody dollars for a top end ps3 and almost half that for a WII or a 360! I really do want the ps3 simply for the fact that its hardware is on top. But the 360 really isn't that much worse and the WII has that awesome controler. Im torn between getting a high end 360 and a couple games or just getting a low end ps3 and maybe one game.

So in short. Im probably gonna end up with a 360 for my next gen goodness and end up being phased out near 2010 due to the hardware not being up to scrap.

What console will you be getting? Will you not be getting a console? Discuss!
2006-11-10, 1:56 PM #2
The PS2 didn't win the last console war.

If you're going by who made the most money, the winner is nintendo.
2006-11-10, 1:58 PM #3
Wii

because I can.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-10, 1:58 PM #4
I'm getting a Wii at some point.
2006-11-10, 1:59 PM #5
By the by.

Why do we need a 10th, WHAT CONSOLE WILL YOU BUY LOL thread?
2006-11-10, 2:10 PM #6
none of the above. i like my pc gaming.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-11-10, 2:11 PM #7
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I have during the last generation always been on Sonys side.

The only losers in console wars are the people who choose sides.

I love my 360, but I didn't buy it because I'm on Microsoft's "side," I bought it because it had the games I most wanted to play.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-11-10, 2:21 PM #8
I love:

1) Whichever console is in someone else's possession
2) Is fun to play on while drinking

So pretty much all of the above. Screw buying them.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-10, 2:36 PM #9
Originally posted by Ford:
none of the above. i like my pc gaming.

So do I. I bought a PS2 about a year and a half ago...very rarely play it.
woot!
2006-11-10, 2:55 PM #10
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]The only losers in console wars are the people who choose sides.[/QUOTE]

INTELLIGENCE DETECTED
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-11-10, 2:58 PM #11
What I hate is the "What one are you getting question?"

I mean what the hell says people can't have more than one?
nope.
2006-11-10, 3:00 PM #12
Tiberium_Empire is PS3's primary target demographic. :downs:

I'm getting a Wii, because it's a class in its own. By that I mean it's a relatively safe bet. The system is not going to die and it's certainly not going to suffer from a lack of developer support (like the PSP did). At the very least Nintendo has some very strong franchises and properties they can tap to populate the system's library.

Then I'll get whichever one looks like a better deal. If Final Fantasy 13 jumps to 360 or Wii it's a no-brainer for me - and this is still entirely possible, because the game is only about 3% done. Final Fantasy is the only Playstation 3 exclusive that is even the least bit interesting.

Other Square-Enix franchises, such as Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts, are being moved to other platforms. The smaller titles, along with all of the other zany and esoteric JRPGs and other games, are staying on the Playstation 2. Sony, indeed, has stated definitively that they intend to continue supporting the Playstation 2 indefinitely - because they don't feel the PS2 and the PS3 are anywhere near the same class of offering. The PS2 is being promoted to new gamers, and I think this is well-illustrated by the fact that they're introducing new colors for the PS2 in Japan over the holiday season.

Chances are, assuming Sony doesn't get eaten alive by Samsung within the next year, I'll end up with all 3 systems. I'll probably get a 360 to satisfy my needs for... you know, games. And I'll get a PS3 to satisfy my unholy cravings for Final Fantasy.
2006-11-10, 3:03 PM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Tiberium_Empire is PS3's primary target demographic. :downs:

For once I'm going to defend the downs :saddowns:

I'm hoping to get a PS3 because of the games that are due to come out for it, at least the ones I've heard of (White Knight Story, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts), not because I'm some fanboy.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-10, 3:04 PM #14
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]The only losers in console wars are the people who choose sides.

[/QUOTE]

Unless you choose the wii side.

Then you wiin.
2006-11-10, 3:05 PM #15
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]I'm hoping to get a PS3 because of the games that are due to come out for it, at least the ones I've heard of (White Knight Story, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts), not because I'm some fanboy.[/QUOTE]You are not PS3's primary target demographic. :v:

(Video game marketers live for the fanboys. I believe, after more than a few weeks in the industry, they even begin having dreams about them. Sexual dreams.)

EDIT: Arooga, arooga! DANGER Glyde Bane! Kingdom Hearts is probably being moved off of the Playstation!
2006-11-10, 3:06 PM #16
I have dreams about stroking my wii all the time.
2006-11-10, 3:08 PM #17
Uhh, I don't think the PS3 has better hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_GPU

The r500 has 48 unified shader processors, while the RSX's are still static. Also, the R500 gets that 4x free AA.
2006-11-10, 3:18 PM #18
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I love:

1) Whichever console is in someone else's possession
2) Is fun to play on while drinking

So pretty much all of the above. Screw buying them.

YES
2006-11-10, 3:22 PM #19
I'd only be able to afford one console. I won't be getting a PS3, even if I were more interested, because my brother will get one. The 360 is way too expensive for me to justify spending money on one (especially with my currently jaded outlook on consoles). The Wii, however, looks pretty fresh and interesting, and will be cheaper than the other two (even if only slightly at the end of the day), which makes it my weapon of choice as a poor Uni student.

The question is redundant, however, because I don't have my own TV in the halls :o So I'll be sticking with my laptop for quite a while.
2006-11-10, 3:25 PM #20
Can anyone explain to me the advantages of PS3 over 360 apart from some cool exclusive titles (FFXIII, MGS4, DMC4)? If there are any, that is.
幻術
2006-11-10, 3:26 PM #21
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Uhh, I don't think the PS3 has better hardware. The r500 has 48 unified shader processors, while the RSX's are still static. Also, the R500 gets that 4x free AA.
Pretend I have no idea what any of that means.

Please explain, in your own words, why having 48 unified shader processors is faster than having 64 pixel shaders and 64 vertex shaders?

Also, please explain why the RSX's programmable shaders are static.
2006-11-10, 3:37 PM #22
I'm definitely getting a Wii. I'm probably not going to get a PS3, I rarely play my PS2, and rarely have, ever since I bought it. I can't honestly point to even one game on it that was really amazing. I have tons of games, and they all turned out to be really average. I don't end up playing most of them all the way through. Plus I hate the D-pad with the separated directional buttons.

After looking more into Gears of War, I'm actually thinking about picking up a 360 at some point :( Ugh.
2006-11-10, 3:52 PM #23
Quote:
Then I'll get whichever one looks like a better deal. If Final Fantasy 13 jumps to 360 or Wii it's a no-brainer for me - and this is still entirely possible, because the game is only about 3% done. Final Fantasy is the only Playstation 3 exclusive that is even the least bit interesting.
It really could go either way right now. Squareenix has stated that they want to put games out on all three consoles. However, from the looks of things, instead of releasing their games on all the consoles they are just releasing certain games on certain consoles(so far two titles on each console). Personally, I think if they do this they are ****ing stupid. Limiting the audience unnecessarily like that won't allow you to attain the profit potential you would otherwise have. Since they have the means, they'd get so much more money if they just released all the games on all the consoles.

I'm getting a Wii. Hopefully FFXIII is released on Wii, but if not, at least I'll sleep at night knowing I didn't patronize a dumbass company.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-10, 3:58 PM #24
Pretend I have no idea what any of that means.

Please explain, in your own words, why having 48 unified shader processors is faster than having 64 pixel shaders and 64 vertex shaders?

Also, please explain why the RSX's programmable shaders are static.

It has 64 vertex and pixel shaders? Where'd you get that info? That doesn't sound right...

And by static I meant non-unified.
2006-11-10, 3:59 PM #25
I'm getting a Wii. Last thread I was undecided about whether I will buy a console at all or not. But now I have pre-ordered my Wii and I can't wait. Xbox360 and PS3 look ok, but I'd rather stick with the pc. The Wii however, brings something to the table nothing else can, and it is something awesome.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-10, 4:07 PM #26

EDIT: Arooga, arooga! DANGER Glyde Bane! Kingdom Hearts is probably being moved off of the Playstation!

I'm sure white knight story will hold me off, and I can borrow/steal from whichever of my friends has the appropriate console for KH3

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-10, 4:59 PM #27
I'll be getting a wii, at pretty much the same time I got a cube : as soon as the first wii-exclusive zelda game comes out. The next zelda is a cube game, so I'm fine for awhile.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-10, 5:31 PM #28
Originally posted by Rob:
The PS2 didn't win the last console war.

If you're going by who made the most money, the winner is nintendo.

Or you could go by who sold the most. And I'm pretty sure Sony made more money than Nintendo after all was said and done.

Also, the Rev is only 250 bucks, how is 250 bucks almost half of 700, or anywhere near the price of a (worthwhile) 360?
D E A T H
2006-11-10, 5:34 PM #29
Buy a PS3 and nothing for it. No games, no accessories, just the console.
2006-11-10, 5:50 PM #30
I consider Sony the last winner of the console war. And I'm willing to put good money on Nintendo winning this one.
2006-11-10, 5:53 PM #31
Originally posted by Deadman:
I consider Sony the last winner of the console war. And I'm willing to put good money on Nintendo winning this one.

Of the last console war? You've gotta be joking right? Sony sold ungodly amounts of PS2s, ungodly amounts of PS2 games, and, even with huge initial losses, came back to take the throne EASILY.
D E A T H
2006-11-10, 6:16 PM #32
Originally posted by tofu:
Buy a PS3 and nothing for it. No games, no accessories, just the console.

Cept the internet service is (Unless they made a bad move and changed it) free.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-10, 6:36 PM #33
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Cept the internet service is (Unless they made a bad move and changed it) free.[/QUOTE]

Erm, you mean to say you can connect to your home ISP connection for free... yeah... I think they all do that...
2006-11-10, 7:26 PM #34
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Of the last console war? You've gotta be joking right? Sony sold ungodly amounts of PS2s, ungodly amounts of PS2 games, and, even with huge initial losses, came back to take the throne EASILY.[/QUOTE]

So... you agree with me.
Why would you ask if I was joking then agree with me?
2006-11-10, 7:26 PM #35
Quote:
Of the last console war? You've gotta be joking right? Sony sold ungodly amounts of PS2s, ungodly amounts of PS2 games, and, even with huge initial losses, came back to take the throne EASILY.

...Which is why he said Sony won the last console war.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-10, 7:28 PM #36
If you all agree..Why are you argueing?
2006-11-10, 7:33 PM #37
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
If you all agree..Why are you argueing?

Welcome to Massassi!!
2006-11-10, 7:41 PM #38
Originally posted by Brian:
Welcome to Massassi!!

I disagree
2006-11-10, 8:08 PM #39
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Or you could go by who sold the most. And I'm pretty sure Sony made more money than Nintendo after all was said and done.

Also, the Rev is only 250 bucks, how is 250 bucks almost half of 700, or anywhere near the price of a (worthwhile) 360?[/QUOTE]

As far as I recall, no, they didn't make as much money as nintendo.

And they did sell alot of units. But oops, they also sold alot of units to replace defective ones.
2006-11-10, 8:15 PM #40
Ahh the eternal question

↑ Up to the top!