Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who actually buys CDS and DVDS and such anymore?
Who actually buys CDS and DVDS and such anymore?
2004-07-06, 11:01 AM #1
i dont. Why spend money when it could be free were you dont lose money and someone doesnt gain yours. i always know some friends that get bootlegged stuff...like my friend watched soul plane about a week before it came out in theatres

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-06, 11:03 AM #2
O_O yea good idea about posting such information here.. bootlegging is one of the things not liked by people running the board

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-06, 11:04 AM #3
99% of the stuff I own is legally acquired. The other 1% is randomly acquired stuff such as copies of old games friends have burned for me or various songs downloaded as samples or for identification.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-07-06, 11:04 AM #4
If people don't pay for things like moives, games, and music people will stop making them..

(apart from music, there will all-ways be music in one form or another)
2004-07-06, 11:05 AM #5
I buy movies, not music, and sometimes games.
2004-07-06, 11:07 AM #6
I used to buy movies before it became my job to sell them. Now there's really no point since I get all of the movies I can possibly watch for free.
2004-07-06, 11:09 AM #7
I buy movies all the time. I don't buy music though. I don't see the point when I can just listen to the radio.

------------------
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
2004-07-06, 11:46 AM #8
I buy both.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-06, 11:46 AM #9
Oh. I guess I should stop getting things the legal way then.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-06, 11:49 AM #10
I still buy DVDs and games and such. The only games that I have warez'd are JO and Final DooM.

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-06, 11:51 AM #11
I buy something when it's worth the price tag. Music...I just don't get much, period. Aside from the fact that there isn't much good music for my tastes these days, most music CD's aren't worth the price tag, nor are they worth waiting for the prices to drop.

Movies and games I'll pay the high price if I really like em...otherwise I wait till that price goes down.
2004-07-06, 11:56 AM #12
I used to buy a game here or there, and obatin the rest... well you know. But lately I have been buying quite a few. Lets see... FFXI, BF Vietnam, UT2K4, NFSU, and a bunch of old games I found at a local EB. Yeah it feels good to legally aquire games [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-07-06, 11:58 AM #13
I'm 100% legal.*

[Edit: okay, maybe like 90%]

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 06, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-06, 12:17 PM #14
Yeah this thread will be closed.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-06, 12:20 PM #15
I don't see why. It's not like anyone is providing the means for anything illegal. Admitting you commit a crime isn't a crime in itself.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-06, 12:31 PM #16
I still buy DVDs. I never really bought CDs that much to begin with, and I don't have any P2P programs on my computer, for some reason I just listen to the radio.

Everything on my computer is legal, except maybe the zsnes emulator and two roms of games that were never imported (that I haven't even played in years).

Hell I even passed up a warez 3D Studio MAX in favor of a Gmax that I can't even edit with. I don't think it's fair.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-06, 12:35 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
I don't see why. It's not like anyone is providing the means for anything illegal. Admitting you commit a crime isn't a crime in itself.</font>

You would, most certainly, be prosecuted. If I walked into the PD and confessed my crime(s), I would be arrested and charged with that crime. Yes it might be honorable for you to walk up and confess your crime but you still would face the consequences for your crime.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-06, 12:47 PM #18
I think you're missing a fairly clear point...

Admitting you do something wrong is not the same as doing something wrong. Lets do a little exercise of applying forum rules to this thread:

"No illegal software/warez/mp3s. We don't take kindly to people using our forums for the illegal solicitation or trade of illegal or copyrighted material."

So as long as you are not trying to persuade another forum user to download mp3s/warez and you are not providing resources with which to download mp3s/warez you aren't breaking the forum rules. You are free to say that you do something illegal, you are free to try and justify doing something illegal. You are not free to attempt to persuade other people to do something illegal.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-06, 12:50 PM #19
I don't buy music very often these days because I don't really like much of what's out, but if something thatI like comes out, I'll drop the cash for it. I just bought the Velvet Revolver CD and it's the first CD I've bought in months

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-06, 12:51 PM #20
I buy music CDs.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-07-06, 12:57 PM #21
hey theres nothing wrong with getting things b4 they are offically release

------------------
2004-07-06, 12:58 PM #22
Yes, yes there is.

b4 *laughs*

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-06, 12:58 PM #23
... Except it's illegal...
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-07-06, 1:20 PM #24
my hard drive contains around 7000 mp3s and around 70 dvd rips. i won't say if they are legal or not...

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-07-06, 1:40 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
I buy movies, not music, and sometimes games.</font>

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-07-06, 2:27 PM #26
I admit it, I am a warez monkey. BUT I'M IN RECOVERY!

I bought my first CD...that's the first step...*hugs TMV-Deloused in the Comatorium*

Yah, I also bought Thief 2 and Dark Forces. I've bought a lot of games lately...hrmmm...

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 2:28 PM #27
I buy pr0n..... not really.
Anyway, I buy all my stuff. But I sample from time to time.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-07-06, 2:31 PM #28
man if i can get it free, ima get it free. That artist or act(or)(ress) dont curr for me so i dont care for em.

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:38 PM #29
dude, by your logic, people that don't know you could use that same phrase to justify stealing everything you own.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-06, 2:39 PM #30
I hardly ever buy CDs, but that's mainly for the fact that I don't really have a working CD player. The last few albums I've purchased were through iTunes.
2004-07-06, 2:39 PM #31
...That artist or act? Do I really want to know...?

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-06, 3:13 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YesSir:
man if i can get it free, ima get it free. That artist or act(or)(ress) dont curr for me so i dont care for em.

</font>

Fine. Don't care for them. See how much longer they're going to make stuff for you to own/steal, and see how long it is before you're arrested for bootlegging/stealing/downloading etc. You really need a lesson in growing the **** up.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 3:44 PM #33
man everyone does it...i didnt sya i bootlegg..i just know some people.

Anyways, until they make CDs 9.99 or less, ill be getting my songs weeks earlier...

------------------
2004-07-06, 3:49 PM #34
Quote:

Anyways, until they make CDs 9.99 or less, ill be getting my songs weeks earlier...

</font>

They have. I got The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium for 10.17.

And if everyone burned themselves alive, would you do it? And whether or not you bootleg isn't the problem, you have the stolen/bootlegged materials and have bought them illegally.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 4:07 PM #35
9.99 or less rap CDs...and we all know how rappers are about money...selfish people

------------------
2004-07-06, 4:28 PM #36
Stop buying (c)rap.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AB151/qid=1089166912/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-7647282-7394427?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005A09J/qid=1089166936/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-7647282-7394427?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Fairly cheap, really good.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 5:11 PM #37
About 6 years ago, downloading music for me was the only way to go. I didn't HAVE money to get CDs. Then I lost my computer to a power surge. There went about 500 downloaded songs. Oh well. Not wanting to sit and download that many songs over again, I grabbed the ones I missed the most and saved a LOT of money. Then I bought some CDs. Was it worth it? Maybe... I got alot of new material I liked, and some I disliked.

Cut to today. I now have the money to purchase a CD when I want. Do I? Rarely. Nothing is released that grabs my attention at all. I've been recommended CDs by friends, and I'll tell them I'm heading out to buy it, only to be told they'll give me the CD to listen to, and if I like it, I'm free to make a copy. That is how I've gotten the last 6 or 7 CDs I own. And I must say, I like doing it that way.

Is the artist getting paid? No. But look at the facts. The RIAA is stealing way more than their share already from what I've read. Of the 20 bucks I might pay, the artist might see a quarter of that.

Over the last month, I've gone into a downloading frenzy again. It happens every few months, then subsides. I just grab any song that pops into my head.

I'm of the very firm belief, that the future of music lies on the Internet. Not in CDs, or the next generation of recordable media. The RIAA just needs to wake up to that fact.

There you have it. That is my stand. For movies though, I almost always buy them, after I've gotten the DVD from the library and watched it. There are some movies that are good, but the DVD isn't worth buying.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-06, 5:23 PM #38
lol, apparently we have people here suffering from the I.D. Ten T. syndrome... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

As to the last post, I think music is heading in the direction of more of a Hobby. Something people do on the side...like editing games and making MODS. They'll have productive normal full-time jobs by day and by night record music for mass distribution over the Internet. At least, that's the way I see the people/bands that do it for the music, doing anyways. In fact, I know a few local bands who are doing just that. They love writing/playing their music just as much as they like sharing (distributing) it over the internet to people all over the world.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited July 06, 2004).]
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-07-06, 5:28 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
About 6 years ago, downloading music for me was the only way to go. I didn't HAVE money to get CDs. Then I lost my computer to a power surge. There went about 500 downloaded songs. Oh well. Not wanting to sit and download that many songs over again, I grabbed the ones I missed the most and saved a LOT of money. Then I bought some CDs. Was it worth it? Maybe... I got alot of new material I liked, and some I disliked.

Cut to today. I now have the money to purchase a CD when I want. Do I? Rarely. Nothing is released that grabs my attention at all. I've been recommended CDs by friends, and I'll tell them I'm heading out to buy it, only to be told they'll give me the CD to listen to, and if I like it, I'm free to make a copy. That is how I've gotten the last 6 or 7 CDs I own. And I must say, I like doing it that way.

Is the artist getting paid? No. But look at the facts. The RIAA is stealing way more than their share already from what I've read. Of the 20 bucks I might pay, the artist might see a quarter of that.

Over the last month, I've gone into a downloading frenzy again. It happens every few months, then subsides. I just grab any song that pops into my head.

I'm of the very firm belief, that the future of music lies on the Internet. Not in CDs, or the next generation of recordable media. The RIAA just needs to wake up to that fact.

There you have it. That is my stand. For movies though, I almost always buy them, after I've gotten the DVD from the library and watched it. There are some movies that are good, but the DVD isn't worth buying.

</font>

Word to most of that.

I just bought TMV's album because they deserve any money they can get. They're just a great band.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 5:41 PM #40
Quote:

</font>

Well, obviously everyone doesn't do it, I know I don't, If I like a song I hear on the radio, I'll go buy the CD. If I like a movie, I'll buy the DVD/VHS.

I buy CD's whenever I have enough spare money to do so, otherwise I just wait for the song I want to hear on the radio or ask my friends if they have the CD and borrow it from them.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"

↑ Up to the top!