Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Black Mesa Source Nov '06 Media Release
Black Mesa Source Nov '06 Media Release
2006-11-27, 8:50 PM #1
http://images.rabid-monkey.com/bms_public/nov06_media/

Some good stuff here, I like the zombie, hate the glock and shotty ingame, like or love most of the rest of the stuff. If this ever gets finished it's gonna rule.

This is my favorite: http://images.rabid-monkey.com/bms_public/nov06_media/tripmine_beauty.jpg

Gotta love the shiny lens of DEATH. Or something. :v:

2006-11-27, 8:53 PM #2
GAHHHH!

I'll just post the conversation about how dumb I think that tripmine is.

<The_MAZZTer> http://images.rabid-monkey.com/bms_public/nov06_media/tripmine_beauty.jpg <3
<The_MAZZTer> my new best friend
<mb`> DID THEY DO THE MEDIA RELEASE?Z??
<`Rob> Stupid.
<`Rob> Why the hell would a TRIPMINE be worn down?
<`Rob> They're only used once.
<`Rob> Then they splode.
<Ford> <3 rob
<The_MAZZTer> yes mb
<The_MAZZTer> go one level up from that jpg
<mb`> link link
<mb`> oo
<mb`> okay
<`Rob> This whole artfaggery with this "distressed" crap is going retardly too far.
<mb`> ?
<`Rob> WORN DOWN TRIPMINE.
<`Rob> WHY?
<`Rob> Everything has to be distressed now.
<tofu> best buy really?
<mb`> but...
<`Rob> Or it just isn't stylized enough. Or good enough. Or artistic enough.
<mb`> it works in the situation...
<tofu> I'd rather get a d50 body and buy a good lens for it
<`Rob> No it doesn't.,
<tofu> so I need you to tell me a good nikon lens
<mb`> it would look stupid if it was bright and shiny
<`Rob> WHY would the casing of an explosive device be worn down? IT JUST FREAKING EXPLODES. IT'S NOT LIKE YOU USE THEM AS DOOR STOPS OR SOMETHING.
2006-11-27, 8:54 PM #3
I mentioned that in the official channel. The unofficial reply is "it looks cool".

2006-11-27, 8:56 PM #4
Tell them it looks stupid.

And that they're stupid.
2006-11-27, 8:57 PM #5
Bullsquid.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-11-27, 8:59 PM #6
think about it, an unused tripmine may sit with other metal objects in a bag. metal object + metal object + movement = paint scraping
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-27, 9:00 PM #7
Originally posted by genk:
think about it, an unused tripmine may sit with other metal objects in a bag. metal object + metal object + movement = paint scraping

Are we seriously arguing about the friggin paint on the tripmines when there are BULLSQUIDS? And CROSSBOWS?! <3 the BMS crew.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-11-27, 9:00 PM #8
Nice, "Look at how badass I can act" posts there Rob. Maybe it's worn down because...

1. It looks cool
2. It's been carried around a lot or dropped or something and it's just worn out.
3. It looks cool
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-27, 9:02 PM #9
When I said "unofficial reply" I meant some random chatter.

And there would be no scraping. Would YOU want explosives scraping?!?! They'd be transported in boxes individually cushioned with foam or something.

Actually... why would you even bother painting these things? Or making them stylish? Hrm.

2006-11-27, 9:08 PM #10
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Nice, "Look at how badass I can act" posts there Rob. Maybe it's worn down because...

1. It looks cool
2. It's been carried around a lot or dropped or something and it's just worn out.
3. It looks cool[/QUOTE]

Pretty decent retarded post Sajn.

I'd say something about how big your nose is, how much SOAD sucks, and how stupid the quote that is probably still in your signature is but all of these things speak for themselves.
2006-11-27, 9:08 PM #11
Itd be like.. a box, lens, bomb inside. nothing complicated.

o.0
2006-11-27, 9:09 PM #12
I do wonder if they can eventually recreate ALL the levels. That's going to take a mind-numbing amount of work.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-27, 9:10 PM #13
Originally posted by genk:

Because you'd really put an explosive device in a sack with a bunch of guns. I bet those guns would be loaded too. Oh, and there might even be some loose grenades in the bottom of that sack.

EVEN IF it had just been sitting somewhere the paint wouldn't get scraped off. If anything it'd have dust on it, the laser would misfire, an then YOU'D SPLODE.
2006-11-27, 9:11 PM #14
yea, because gordon and the marines walking around just *happen* to carry them around in a foam lined container.

hell, you find them in multipacks just sitting out

they're designed NOT to 'splode unless armed, which means fancy schmancy durablity with a crappy paint job.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-11-27, 9:15 PM #15
If I recall, you could shoot them and they'd explode. Set or not.

You can't use Gordon or a Marine as an example, because they've both been shown to be able to carry inhuman amounts of equipment.
2006-11-27, 9:21 PM #16
Hehehehehe at the aesthetics argument.

Whenever this mod comes out won't be soon enough for me... :D
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-11-27, 9:48 PM #17
Boy Rob is getting pretty anal over the look of a tripmine. Would you prefer the tripmine to look shiny, pristine, and in mint-condition?

And I beat the **** out of objects every day.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-27, 9:50 PM #18
NO DONT HIT ME ANYMORE PLEASE
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-27, 9:54 PM #19
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Boy Rob is getting pretty anal over the look of a tripmine. Would you prefer the tripmine to look shiny, pristine, and in mint-condition?

And I beat the **** out of objects every day.

I'd rather it have a matte finish like every other piece of military hardware.

I mean seriously. WHY THE HELL WOULD A TRIP MINE, AND I MEAN THIS USE LOGIC HERE, BE "DISTRESSED."

It doesn't make sense. I'm tired of artfags that distress everything just because.

Thats it.

The end.
2006-11-27, 10:13 PM #20
GO GO WEAPON RENDERS

lol
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-27, 10:15 PM #21
Wow. Those map screenies look excellent! Especially since they have the comparison shot from the original right there. Wowowowow.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-27, 11:28 PM #22
Scary zombies.
I like the mines. It was actually the RPG that made me wonder, but whatever.

-Oh and THAT IS NOT A GARGANTUA BEAUTY SHOT. :saddowns:
2006-11-27, 11:43 PM #23
artfags

lol

weak
2006-11-28, 12:06 AM #24
If as many people were concerned about looks, Rob would get more complaints that he isn't a girl.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-11-28, 12:07 AM #25
I get alot of those actually.
2006-11-28, 9:06 AM #26
Originally posted by Rob:

I mean seriously. WHY THE HELL WOULD A TRIP MINE, AND I MEAN THIS USE LOGIC HERE, BE "DISTRESSED."

It doesn't make sense. I'm tired of artfags that distress everything just because.

Thats it.

The end.

But you look so good with a distressed look!
Attachment: 14648/distressed_rob.jpg (28,923 bytes)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-28, 9:50 AM #27

Thats it.

The end.

:O Some mods don't always go for realism. OH NOES!
nope.
2006-11-28, 9:52 AM #28
HOUNDEYES :D <3 <3

I can already hear the chirping!
2006-11-28, 10:00 AM #29
Originally posted by Baconfish:
:O Some mods don't always go for realism. OH NOES!

Well, why break realism on something like this? Rob is right in what he screams, even if it was in a bag and scratched together, it still wouldn't look like this. It IS true that a lot of artists use this distress element, scratches, and worn out things on modern weaponry way too much. Hell even on guns its totally idiotic. Faint scratches is one thing. Whole corners scrapped off deep is another. .(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-11-28, 10:00 AM #30
AS someone who has handled military explosive devices, including Claymore-like defense charges (we can't call them mines because then they're illegal :downs: ) i can testament that they're very often worn down in the paintjob.

Why? Because no-one cares about the paint on them anyway. They'll still work.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-11-28, 10:03 AM #31
Originally posted by Jepman:
Well, why break realism on something like this? Rob is right in what he screams, even if it was in a bag and scratched together, it still wouldn't look like this. It IS true that a lot of artists use this distress element, scratches, and worn out things on modern weaponry way too much. Hell even on guns its totally idiotic. Faint scratches is one thing. Whole corners scrapped off deep is another. .(

Fair enough, but there's nothing to say that it couldn't look like that.
nope.
2006-11-28, 10:23 AM #32
Originally posted by Simbachu:
AS someone who has handled military explosive devices, including Claymore-like defense charges (we can't call them mines because then they're illegal :downs: ) i can testament that they're very often worn down in the paintjob.

Why? Because no-one cares about the paint on them anyway. They'll still work.

I still don't believe it. "No-one cares" is hardly a reason for it. Do you people throw them about like a discarded rock or something? Like I said in an earlier post, faint scratches make sense, some chips, but not like it is in the screenshot! There are scratches, and pretty much 50% of the corner paint is missing on the top.
2006-11-28, 11:59 AM #33
oh boo hoo, a paint chip :(:(:(:(
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-28, 12:06 PM #34
Do you people throw them about like a discarded rock or something?

Such behaviour is not uncommon :D

There's of course another aspect on it. They're not just used once. They are used and re-used until they have to be replaced:

Not every mine you place will detonate, and this is especially true with defense charges. You usually disarm them (defense charges that is, not troop or tank mines) and take them with you when you relocate.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-11-28, 1:13 PM #35
Why did they make it a glock 19 instead of a glock 17? It seems unimportant until you realize it's a classic, and it's a 17. Weird. It all looks awesome, though, I can't wait.
Warhead[97]
2006-11-28, 2:18 PM #36
I still don't believe it. "No-one cares" is hardly a reason for it. Do you people throw them about like a discarded rock or something? Like I said in an earlier post, faint scratches make sense, some chips, but not like it is in the screenshot! There are scratches, and pretty much 50% of the corner paint is missing on the top.

So... you're arguing against reality with theory, to support your position that there's too much weathering on a model made for a mod made by amateurs, and isn't yet in Alpha?

Okay...
2006-11-28, 2:29 PM #37
Only on Massassi...
DO NOT WANT.
2006-11-28, 3:34 PM #38
If I recall, you could shoot them and they'd explode. Set or not.

You can't use Gordon or a Marine as an example, because they've both been shown to be able to carry inhuman amounts of equipment.

No.. you had to pick them up and then set them (or they had to be pre-set with the laser on) before they would explode via being shot. Logically, if you shoot a mine when its set, it interrupts the laser and sets off the mine.

Besides this whole thing you're *****ing about is pointless. You should be more worried about the fact that Gordon can just chuck the mine at a wall, and it somehow magically sticks in the same upright position every time. It also doesn matter how far the laser goes. You could be way far out of the range of the blast, but if you cross the laser beam from, say, 50 yards away, its still going to set the mine off.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-11-28, 8:10 PM #39
You can't chuck tripmines.
2006-11-28, 8:22 PM #40
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
So... you're arguing against reality with theory, to support your position that there's too much weathering on a model made for a mod made by amateurs, and isn't yet in Alpha?

Okay...

No, you shallow retarded ****, I was saying that I did not believe what Simbachu said, because "no-one cares" is not a reason. In my mind, you can't just chuck around tripmines, armed or not. As a matter of fact, chucking a tripmine seems pretty idiotic and careless. Still, he's posted backing up his comment in answer to my post and as such I did not argue his point. The discussion was over. Seems you just needed to state your (useless) and worthless attempt at being witty and a smartass.

"weathering on a model made for a mod made by amateurs, and isn't yet in Alpha?"

What does the fact that the mod isn't even in alpha have to do with TEXTURES. If we were discussing code or level design, it would be a valid point, but we're talking about pictures that they have publicly release to show off their mod. So I can't make comment on a model's textures because the mod isn't alpha? Oh, and because they are amateurs I shouldn't critic them. Right. Quick! Admins! Close the showcase forum, its useless!

↑ Up to the top!