Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Phoenix"
"Phoenix"
2006-11-28, 4:40 PM #1
I'm currently doing a precis + critique on this journal article that just came out. Its about how scientists brought together several non-fullly functional human endogenous retrovirus' and built the ancesteral form of this virus (5 million years old)-called "Phoenix"

Now, I'm trying to relate this back to biological anthropology+ evolution...and I recall that at roughly 5 million years ago human and chimps split...But I just can't pinpoint the connection and the meaning behind it.

Here is a news article of the actual journal article which is 9 pages long.
http://www.innovation-report.com/html/reports/life_sciences/report-73235.html

If there is anyone familiar with this topic please help! .(
2006-11-28, 4:41 PM #2
Everyone else is stupid, and I refuse to help, so you're out of luck.

Who the hell is SK?
2006-11-28, 4:42 PM #3
SiliconKowboy?

>.>

The missing link = the answer.
2006-11-28, 4:43 PM #4
Silent Killer
2006-11-28, 4:43 PM #5
silent killa? awesome.
2006-11-28, 4:46 PM #6
Whos SiliconKowboy?
2006-11-28, 4:49 PM #7
Oh you know. SiliconCowboy's evil twin.
2006-11-28, 4:52 PM #8
Yeah I saw this one; they were going to use the virus to kill all the cylons.
Stuff
2006-11-28, 4:53 PM #9
Actually, isn't evolution a silly idea?
2006-11-28, 4:56 PM #10
Why do you say that?
2006-11-28, 4:56 PM #11
Originally posted by kyle90:
Yeah I saw this one; they were going to use the virus to kill all the cylons.

Ahh yes, I remember now. Well, at least if we get a Cylon problem again we'll be ready.

Originally posted by Axis:

Don't be silly.
2006-11-28, 4:57 PM #12
Attachment: 14656/evolution-loop.jpg (29,955 bytes)
woot!
2006-11-28, 5:06 PM #13
how can u argue something based on faith...?
2006-11-28, 5:08 PM #14
[QUOTE=SK's GF]I'm currently doing a precis + critique on this journal article that just came out. Its about how scientists brought together several non-fullly functional human endogenous retrovirus' and built the ancesteral form of this virus (5 million years old)-called "Phoenix"

Now, I'm trying to relate this back to biological anthropology+ evolution...and I recall that at roughly 5 million years ago human and chimps split...But I just can't pinpoint the connection and the meaning behind it.

Here is a news article of the actual journal article which is 9 pages long.
http://www.innovation-report.com/html/reports/life_sciences/report-73235.html

If there is anyone familiar with this topic please help! .([/QUOTE]
What are you trying to do?
2006-11-28, 5:08 PM #15
Both arguments have holes and missing information, and arguing either of them is fruitless.
2006-11-28, 5:08 PM #16
axis...being christian doesn't mean you have to be against evolution.
2006-11-28, 5:08 PM #17
[QUOTE=SK's GF]how can u argue something based on faith...?[/QUOTE]
Oh, but they can. They most certainly can.
幻術
2006-11-28, 5:53 PM #18

Like a talking snake...?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-28, 6:12 PM #19
Originally posted by JLee:

That Image there? Is that the one ring to unite them all after if fell into the lavapit in Orodruin

** Adjusts his nerd glasses
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2006-11-28, 9:41 PM #20
I live in Phoenix.
2006-11-29, 1:29 AM #21
Originally posted by tofu:
What are you trying to do?

She's trying to summerize and explain the article.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-11-29, 1:31 AM #22
Can't help you with that.

But damn I got this stain of godbothering goo by visiting this thread. Yuck. :o
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-29, 1:57 AM #23
The connection

Basically, human endogenous retroviruses are remnants of ancestral infections of primates by active retroviruses. Now, the term "5 million years old" comes up because thats when humans split from the primate line. At this point and thereafter, humans were no longer infected by active retroviruses, and what's left are what we call "human endogenous retroviruses", which are "remnants" of the ancestral infections.

So, what this lab did was derive in silico the sequence of the ancestral progenitor of the HERV-K family of retroviruses (a family of human endogenous retroviruses) and construct it (which they dubbed "Phoenix" oooh dramatic). As it turns out, they did it correctly since the "phoenix" was shown to produce viral particles that disclose all of the structural and finctional properties of a retrovirus, and could also infect mammalian including human cells. The retrovirus that integrated also showed the exact signature found in endogenous HERV-K progeny.

The lab also showed that recombinations among present-day HERV-K loci in humans in vivo can generate functional HERV-K elements, indicating that our cells still *could* produce infectious retroviruses.

By the way, this isn't really a precis, just something I cooked up from the abstract so that you might understand the article better. I'm procrastinating... also, forgot to mention that you might need to know a little bit about what a retrovirus is exactly and what human endogenous retroviruses are to understand the article/what i just said.
2006-11-29, 4:30 AM #24
Except that we 'split' from chimps a hell of a lot longer ago then 5 million years... In fact, the Homonid line appeared 30 million years ago, and though chimps are our closest relatives, the common ancestor would be whatever came right before the first homonid. We are the only homonid species left because we're so good at killing everything else. If they are talking about a virus that affected homonids 5 million years ago, then sure, there were a few species of homonid about. Notably the neanderthal, which was almost as smart as us and quite successful.

The place where most religious people get it wrong is that they think evolution means we are descended from monkeys. That's not right at all. We are related to monkeys, the same way we are related to our cousins. Does that make us descendants of our cousins? No, it just means you have a common grandparent. That's the part everyone gets wrong: We didn't descend from chimps, we just have a common ancestor. Incidentally, we aren't descended from neanderthals either. They were probably smart enough to have language and sophisticated social structures and they were skilled tool users, but we were just a little bit better and kicked their asses. They were our siblings, not our parents.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-29, 7:08 AM #25
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Except that we 'split' from chimps a hell of a lot longer ago then 5 million years... In fact, the Homonid line appeared 30 million years ago, and though chimps are our closest relatives, the common ancestor would be whatever came right before the first homonid. We are the only homonid species left because we're so good at killing everything else. If they are talking about a virus that affected homonids 5 million years ago, then sure, there were a few species of homonid about. Notably the neanderthal, which was almost as smart as us and quite successful.

ah. ya got me, i didnt verify what SK's gf said before i posted :-P. was too lazy to refresh my memory on the evolutionary pathway
2006-11-29, 8:48 AM #26
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]I live in Phoenix.[/QUOTE]

The virus was named after your state because you're all ridden with disease.
nope.
2006-11-29, 9:11 AM #27
No it was engineered to kill off the mormons.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-11-29, 9:12 AM #28
You're ridden with disease too.
nope.
2006-11-29, 9:31 AM #29
Originally posted by Baconfish:
The virus was named after your state because you're all ridden with disease.

Pheonix is a city, buddy.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-29, 9:41 AM #30
How was I supposed to know that! :P
nope.
2006-11-29, 9:48 AM #31
[QUOTE=SK's GF]how can u argue something based on faith...?[/QUOTE]
It's quite simple. Haven't you seen thank you for smoking? As long as you argue your point correctly, you're never wrong! ;)
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-11-29, 10:51 AM #32
I named my computer Phoenix after the city. My dad named all his comps after Arizona cities, but he had all old comps, so Phoenix was an obvious choice. :)

2006-11-29, 10:55 AM #33
I used a Phoenix Down in some Final Fantasy game once.

Or actually a lot of times.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-11-29, 12:19 PM #34
i saw both versions of flight of the phoenix.

and read harry potter and the order of the phoenix.

and i also know what a phoenix is.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-11-29, 12:44 PM #35
Originally posted by ragna:
ah. ya got me, i didnt verify what SK's gf said before i posted :-P. was too lazy to refresh my memory on the evolutionary pathway

acutally, recent studies have shown that chimps and ancestral human split from their common ancester around 5-7 million years ago...

but anways, I need to rephrase what I said after talkin to my prof.
what the hell was happening 5 million years ago, and how does this retrovirus have anythin to do with it! :confused: ...he mentioned about how you can determine what the environment is like through phoenix... i guess i'll be doing some more research.
2006-11-29, 12:50 PM #36
Originally posted by ragna:
The connection

Basically, human endogenous retroviruses are remnants of ancestral infections of primates by active retroviruses. Now, the term "5 million years old" comes up because thats when humans split from the primate line. At this point and thereafter, humans were no longer infected by active retroviruses, and what's left are what we call "human endogenous retroviruses", which are "remnants" of the ancestral infections.

So, what this lab did was derive in silico the sequence of the ancestral progenitor of the HERV-K family of retroviruses (a family of human endogenous retroviruses) and construct it (which they dubbed "Phoenix" oooh dramatic). As it turns out, they did it correctly since the "phoenix" was shown to produce viral particles that disclose all of the structural and finctional properties of a retrovirus, and could also infect mammalian including human cells. The retrovirus that integrated also showed the exact signature found in endogenous HERV-K progeny.

The lab also showed that recombinations among present-day HERV-K loci in humans in vivo can generate functional HERV-K elements, indicating that our cells still *could* produce infectious retroviruses.

By the way, this isn't really a precis, just something I cooked up from the abstract so that you might understand the article better. I'm procrastinating... also, forgot to mention that you might need to know a little bit about what a retrovirus is exactly and what human endogenous retroviruses are to understand the article/what i just said.

- most likely chimps and humans diverged before this virus...so it was prob part of australopithecus...
-earlier, i was just thinking that there could be a connection-maybe maybe not.
-i just written the precis part,...but stll can't really figure out the direct connection.
sighh

thnx!
ps. i'm actually in kinesiology, so this is quite different to what i normally study
2006-11-29, 2:57 PM #37
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Except that we 'split' from chimps a hell of a lot longer ago then 5 million years...

The split between the line leading to humans and the line leading to chimps occurred sometime between 8 and 5 million years ago. Neanderthals did not show up until around 350000 years ago. I agree with the point of your second paragraph, though there are paleontologists that contend that there was at least some degree of interbreeding with Neanderthals once modern humans reached Europe and the Middle East.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-11-29, 3:03 PM #38
It's possible that we were still closely related enough to breed. On the other hand, neanderthal women were hairy. What self respecting cro-magnun man would have one? So it must have been the big dumb neanderthal men clubbing our chicks over the head and dragging them off.

Damn. I was off by a full factor of 10. Clearly God had a big whip and was yelling 'Evolve! Evolve!'. There's no other way to explain how we got so awesome so god damned fast!

And of course, finding the 'missing link' just means you have to find two more links... one on either side.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-29, 3:08 PM #39
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]I live in Phoenix.[/QUOTE]
I AM a Phoenix. :P
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-11-29, 3:32 PM #40
recent studies have shown that we did not breed wid neandertals...they just sequenced their genome a few months back.
we kind of drove them out

↑ Up to the top!