Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → UK public smoking ban gets official start date
UK public smoking ban gets official start date
2006-12-01, 3:56 AM #1
1st of July. Can't wait.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm

Iz smokes, but only when we're out in pubs. Chances are by winter she'll be bored of standing outside in the cold and rain and just give up. To be fair she's done it once quite easily and in winter she'll have a damn good excuse to do it again!

Huzzah!
2006-12-01, 4:03 AM #2
About time.

This should also put a stop to smoke rooms and childrens rooms in pubs been the same room. How I hated that as a kid.
2006-12-01, 4:13 AM #3
Sucks :(
2006-12-01, 4:20 AM #4
Not smoking myself, I kind of welcome this ban- however, I can understand why it might annoy smokers. Tough. I can't remember who said it, but "A smoking section in a restaurant is like a pissing section in a swimming pool."
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2006-12-01, 5:27 AM #5
We've had it north of the border since March.

It all works fine apart from one small hitch, now a lot of pubs are going to smell of stale beer instead of smoke.
nope.
2006-12-01, 6:40 AM #6
We have those laws here.

Since they were introduced tobacco companies have started funding pubs to build beer gardens so smokers can smoke outside. True story.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-12-01, 7:17 AM #7
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
Not smoking myself, I kind of welcome this ban- however, I can understand why it might annoy smokers. Tough. I can't remember who said it, but "A smoking section in a restaurant is like a pissing section in a swimming pool."

Agreed. Smoking sucks
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-01, 7:38 AM #8
what about big superclubs and gigs? it'll be nigh impossible to enforce it there, its easy enough to smoke spliffs in those places, i bet a tab will be easy.
2006-12-01, 8:11 AM #9
WTF? I thought you lived in Australia!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-01, 8:19 AM #10
If you're talking about either spe or martyn, all I have to say is you must be ****ing stupid or something. Seriously.
D E A T H
2006-12-01, 8:23 AM #11
Yes! Great news. I hate sitting in smokey pubs.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-01, 9:33 AM #12
Smoking in public places was banned here this past summer. You can't even smoke in a covered patio or under an awning, which pissed off a lot of businesses that built such areas thinking their customers would be able to smoke.
2006-12-01, 11:43 AM #13
California's had that ban for almost 10 years now.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 11:54 AM #14
Originally posted by Draco_Zandros:
About time.

This should also put a stop to smoke rooms and childrens rooms in pubs been the same room. How I hated that as a kid.

Children rooms in pubs?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-01, 12:01 PM #15
Hmm...I think this sets a bad precidence. To me, it feels like legislating morality. And we know how THAT went well in the 20s.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-01, 12:04 PM #16
I wish the cigarette tax had passed.

I bet JG and Avenger voted against it.

Communists.
2006-12-01, 12:12 PM #17
Thats it, JG! No healing for you in NWN2 next time we play! :argh:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-12-01, 12:15 PM #18
NYC's had it for a few years now, it is possible to get an exemption from it if you can prove the ban has hurt your profits (mostly bars). I don't think it's legislating morality since smoking has been proven to cause harm to people besides the smoker.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-12-01, 12:43 PM #19
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
Tough. I can't remember who said it, but "A smoking section in a restaurant is like a pissing section in a swimming pool."

except that with proper ventilation(not that many, if ANY businesses have it) it wouldnt be a problem. ventilation is one of the easiest things to do, and its not that expensive when building a building. (retro-fitting is another story.)

it is possible to replace the entire air supply of a 100sq foot room in less than a minute with equipment that costs less than 1000$USD.

frankly it wouldnt be a problem if ventilation was regulated rather than smokers themselves.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-12-01, 1:10 PM #20
Hopefully this will make chavs spend more time on their own property.
2006-12-01, 1:42 PM #21
:erg: removed post. Offensive and innapropriate. Sowwy! v_v
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-12-01, 1:43 PM #22
Originally posted by Steven:

Communists.

I did actually vote against it. My dad voted for it and I grilled him on voting for it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-01, 2:09 PM #23
THIS IS BULLS***!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :argh:

How about banning alcohol to reduce the amount of teenage pregnancy and social violence.

What next? Ban caffiene? Ban Shexing?
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-12-01, 2:20 PM #24
Originally posted by Ruthven:

I don't as many people die from that :v:
2006-12-01, 2:52 PM #25
Originally posted by Steven:

I voted for it. I don't smoke, so I could care less if there are more taxes on cigarettes.

Also, the motivation for banning smoking in public places isn't a moral issue. It's a health issue. Personally, I don't want to be inhaling second hand smoke all the time when I'm out eating.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 2:53 PM #26
"Yes, you can't smoke in bars now. Pretty soon there'll be no drinking or talking." - Eddie Izzard
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-12-01, 4:05 PM #27
That's ridiculous. Argh. Good thing I don't live in UK, I guess.
幻術
2006-12-01, 4:13 PM #28
I voted for the cigarette tax.

Most smoker's I've known are extremely obnoxious (and also smell terrible).
2006-12-01, 5:00 PM #29
Originally posted by tofu:
I voted for the cigarette tax.

Most smoker's I've known are extremely obnoxious (and also smell terrible).

I hope you choke on my smoke :saddowns:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-12-01, 5:36 PM #30
If you're blowing in my face, you'll have something to worry about too. :argh:

:P
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 6:20 PM #31
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
"Yes, you can't smoke in bars now. Pretty soon there'll be no drinking or talking." - Eddie Izzard

<3
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-01, 8:55 PM #32
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]If you're talking about either spe or martyn, all I have to say is you must be ****ing stupid or something. Seriously.[/QUOTE]I always thought Martyn lived in Australia. I don't see how that makes me stupid, but whatever.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-01, 9:26 PM #33
There is a smoking ban coming soon here in Ohio. Some might think it might get smokers to give up and quit. Yeah maybe that might happen in some cases but I see an increase in use of chewing tobbacco.
2006-12-01, 9:27 PM #34
They're not trying to get people to quit with these bans.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-01, 9:42 PM #35
I wish public smoking was illegal here, its incredibly annoying. I know people who physically cant handle other people smoking around them. And for myself, it smells godawful, causes me to have to shower just to remove the nastyness from my hair, makes breathing difficult.. etc. All that without even starting about the long-term health effects. If you need your fix do it in private, not in the middle of a sidewalk/right outside a store/on the way up a bloody staircase. Screw you, addicts :argh:

o.0
2006-12-02, 4:47 AM #36
When Germany follows with the bans is the day I'll be surprised.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-02, 5:03 AM #37
That's good.

Not that I really have anything against smokers, it's not my health they're ruining in the first place...

...but if I or someone I care about gets into some kind of trouble because of passive smoking, it should be time for special new concentration camps.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-02, 7:00 AM #38
I'm all for it, it'll be nice to be able to go to a pub and not come out with all my clothes and hair reeking of crappy ciggy smoke. I don't even visit pubs full of smokers that much but it only takes a few smokers indoors to make it unpleasant for everyone else. I really don't care about smokers who feel their rights are being impinged. It's an antisocial activity they want to make worse by doing it indoors where the smoke is trapped with everyone else. Maybe I should campaign for the right to treat any part of the pub as toilet space?

What my local Wetherspoons has done is probably one of the best compromises; they've already made the indoors smoke-free but upstairs there's a covered courtyard that keeps you dry, they have heat lamps to keep you warm and the smoke rises off into the air outside so it doesn't smell too much or retain any smoke.
2006-12-02, 7:15 AM #39
We're going to get the same law here in the Netherlands, and I say it SUCKS. Especially in clubs and venues. How rock and roll is that, to not be able to smoke a spliff or a cig at a gig? BAH. What's next? No more booze? :argh: :mad:
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-12-02, 7:30 AM #40
Originally posted by Ruthven:
THIS IS BULLS***!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :argh:

How about banning alcohol to reduce the amount of teenage pregnancy and social violence.

Yes, it must be such a hardship to either go outside to smoke or just try to give up. :rolleyes:
nope.

↑ Up to the top!