Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PC Games
PC Games
2004-07-07, 12:41 PM #1
I have enough money for once to buy a new PC game. But I want it to be worth it. I was hoping for some advice on what game.
-It can't be a multiplayer game (I'm on 28k dialup)
-Must be pretty long/worth the money
-Preferably a newer game (Family got a new gaming PC recently so I want to see some nice graphics for once)

Thats pretty much it, so post away.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-07, 12:44 PM #2
FarCry
Painkiller
Theif 3

All pretty long games. Some have multiplayer, but the focus is on single. Far Cry is just amazingly sexy, it's the game out with the BEST graphics right now. (And one of the best FPS's IMO) Painkiller is like a gothic serious sam, really awesome game. Theif 3 is...the sequel to Theif 2 :P. I'd say try the Painkiller demo, but 28.8k :/

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 07, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-07, 12:44 PM #3
I never played to much of it but I heard Far Cry had really good single player.

But, other than that I cannot really help you, as all I play are Multiplayer games.

------------------
[url="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp"]http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp[/url]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-07-07, 12:45 PM #4
Farcry, Painkiller, Thief, KotOR.

Farcry--sneaky tactical FPS, awesome gfx
Painkiller--Serious Sam like game with AWESOME graphics and physics
Thief 3--Sneaky, sneaky sneaky, game with awesome gfx.
KotOR--It's Knights of the Old Republic.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 12:50 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
...Far Cry is just amazingly sexy, it's the game out with some of the BEST graphics right now...

[/B]</font>

Fixed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 12:51 PM #6
All around it has the best graphics out of any RELEASED game. And some unreleased games.
[http://sajn.phearwear.com/FarCry0042.jpg]

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 12:51 PM #7
Morrowind isn't very new, and the graphics are kind of dated now, but it's really good and really long. Also, you can pick up the GOTY edition that comes with both expansions for a pretty decent price.

Morrowind does have awesome scenery, though, and a ton of expandability with all the mods out there.

Beyond that, painkiller and far-cry are good bets, too.

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-07-07, 1:02 PM #8
Whatever you say SAJN

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 1:05 PM #9
Okay the water in FarCry is enough for me to cream myself, the huge enviornments, realistic effects, high poly player and gun and everything else models just add to my wet pants.

------------------
2004-07-07, 1:09 PM #10
S.T.A.L.K.E.R > FarCry

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-07-07, 1:10 PM #11
Ok, i've played the demo of far cry, I had it from a friend on a cd, but I have a question. What would be causing a dark purple/orange layover on the textures? Im not sure if its just the demo or my video card, but my card has its drivers updated all the way.

------------------
2004-07-07, 2:32 PM #12
Yeah FarCry doesn't have such good graphics when compared to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And looking at that M4 Carbine model, I would say it doesn't have such good graphics compared to much of anything. That model is super low detail. Looks like something out of the Half Life days.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-07, 2:42 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Overlord:
Ok, i've played the demo of far cry, I had it from a friend on a cd, but I have a question. What would be causing a dark purple/orange layover on the textures? Im not sure if its just the demo or my video card, but my card has its drivers updated all the way.

</font>

Are you using the DX9 renderer and what's your card/drivers.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 2:44 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
Yeah FarCry doesn't have such good graphics when compared to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And looking at that M4 Carbine model, I would say it doesn't have such good graphics compared to much of anything. That model is super low detail. Looks like something out of the Half Life days.
</font>

It may not be the best, but I'll tell you right there you are /wrong/. It has low-poly weapon models for a reason--everything else is UBER-high poly. I mean we're talking amazingly high poly. But still, it's not the best game out.

Comparing it to HL though...that's a sin.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 2:56 PM #15
Alright, fine Yoshi. Name the game with the BEST graphics.

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:05 PM #16
I can't think of any games that are out yet that have better graphics than Far Cry, but that will change soon enough

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-07, 3:07 PM #17
IMO, Painkiller was better graphically, Lineage 2 had better player models, FFXI best overall. Need I go on?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 3:30 PM #18
Wow, all of those have NOTHING on FarCry.

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:36 PM #19
Baldurs Gate 2.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-07, 3:36 PM #20
I have a GForce4 MX 440. How do I tell if I'm using the DX9 Renderer?

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:41 PM #21
I just bought Homeworld 2 and IL2 Sturmovik together for 45 dollars. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Blown away by the force of the word, woken up by the sound of the siren. It's genocide.
2004-07-07, 3:48 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
IMO, Painkiller was better graphically, Lineage 2 had better player models, FFXI best overall. Need I go on?

</font>

Painkiller looks really good, but the Far Cry engine is much more versatile.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-07, 3:51 PM #23
Quote:
Wow, all of those have NOTHING on FarCry.

</font>

So you've played Lineage 2, FFXI, Painkiller AND FarCry? I know because I have. You're just pulling things outta your *** now.

And Overlord, I think MX440's only used DX 8.1, maybe even DX 7. I'd suggest upgrading fast, for they are crappy cards.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 07, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 4:08 PM #24
Quote:
It may not be the best, but I'll tell you right there you are /wrong/. It has low-poly weapon models for a reason--everything else is UBER-high poly. I mean we're talking amazingly high poly. But still, it's not the best game out.

Comparing it to HL though...that's a sin.

</font>

First of all, I was referring to the weapon model. That is what I said looks like something out of half life. And as far as what else you said. Oh... Well... *runs*

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-07, 4:17 PM #25
Quote:
I have a GForce4 MX 440. How do I tell if I'm using the DX9 Renderer?

</font>

you aren't... you are basically using a GF2 with a couple of extra minor features

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-07, 4:39 PM #26
Quote:
I have a GForce4 MX 440. How do I tell if I'm using the DX9 Renderer?</font>

Ouch, I am not sure if that card supports higher than DX8, but all I can say is with that card (not to crush your hopes of some killer graphics and gaming), you wont get far. I used to have one, and I will never buy from nVidia again, I mean come on, a GF3 TI can outperform a GF4 MX, that just isnt right.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-07, 4:49 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

Ouch, I am not sure if that card supports higher than DX8, but all I can say is with that card (not to crush your hopes of some killer graphics and gaming), you wont get far. I used to have one, and I will never buy from nVidia again, I mean come on, a GF3 TI can outperform a GF4 MX, that just isnt right.

</font>

I'm never buying from nVidia again because their windows drivers SUCK. Good GOD but I had to take an hour just to upgrade my drivers to the latest. ****ing shoddy quality drivers for windows they have. ATi never let me down.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 4:50 PM #28
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
So, whats the best game that will run on my card then?
------------------

[This message has been edited by Overlord (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 4:57 PM #29
Quote:
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
So, whats the best game that will run on my card then?
</font>

Well the highest I took my MX 440 was UT2K3. It ran kinda sluggish, but I cant remember if I had the settings down far or not. My brother has my MX now, he is able to play JO, Morrowind, and Dungeon Siege (to name a few) without any problems. Of course they cant be run at max deatil, but hey, if it runs, it runs.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-07, 4:58 PM #30
Quote:
I'm never buying from nVidia again because their windows drivers SUCK. Good GOD but I had to take an hour just to upgrade my drivers to the latest. ****ing shoddy quality drivers for windows they have. ATi never let me down.

</font>

i've used ATI and Nvidia, and enither give me problems. common they arenbt that horrible lol :P

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-07-07, 4:59 PM #31
Invest anywhere from 1-200 dollars and get yourself a new card. 9600 Pro is your best bet for budget card, 9700 Pro maybe. For performance 9600XT or 9800 Pro.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 5:03 PM #32
I can seem to run the farcry demo on the highest settings with no lag. From what finity5 said this shouldnt be:S
How exactly do I figure out what my card is? Maybe im doing that wrong.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Overlord (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 5:14 PM #33
Quote:
I can seem to run the farcry demo on the highest settings with no lag. From what finity5 said this shouldnt be:S
How exactly do I figure out what my card is? Maybe im doing that wrong.
</font>

Eh... yeah I was going to say something before about how you probably wouldn't be able to. I dont know, even I get a little bit of lag in the Far Cry demo on the highest detail settings, and I am running my Radeon 9800 oc @ 400mhz/630mhz right now. Now what you said about figuring out exactly what card you have, you can go into Device Manager, under Properties on My Computer, and click on display adapters. It will tell you there.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-07, 5:19 PM #34
It says its the GeForce MX 440.
Very strange.

------------------
2004-07-07, 5:27 PM #35
KOTOR, Deus Ex... Take your pick, you should already have both :P
2004-07-07, 5:30 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So you've played Lineage 2, FFXI, Painkiller AND FarCry? I know because I have. You're just pulling things outta your *** now.</font>

Thats friggin holarious because I own Painkiller and FarCry, I've played Lineage II at my LAN center for about 3 hours, and my friend is a huge FFXI fan, and I've played that too. You must feel stupid as hell. None of those games come CLOSE to FarCry, don't even try and argue it.

------------------
2004-07-07, 5:36 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i've used ATI and Nvidia, and enither give me problems. common they arenbt that horrible lol :P</font>

It's true. My GeForce 2 lasted me AGES, never had a single problem. It even ran FarCry..........lowest detail :P

------------------
2004-07-07, 5:37 PM #38
This is the part where you agree to disagree.....or at least zip up and stop scaring the kiddies.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-07, 5:39 PM #39
Quote:
Thats friggin holarious because I own Painkiller and FarCry, I've played Lineage II at my LAN center for about 3 hours, and my friend is a huge FFXI fan, and I've played that too. You must feel stupid as hell. None of those games come CLOSE to FarCry, don't even try and argue it.

</font>

No I don't feel stupid because you're utterly and totally wrong. The player models for Lineage 2 are better. The textures and bumpmapping for Painkiller is better. FFXI has just a better overall feel and look to it, it's quality.

You've played Lineage 2 for 3 hours? I was in the closed and open beta. You own Painkiller and FarCry? OH wait, so do I?!

You must feel pretty stupid.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 5:41 PM #40
Quit arguing in my thread, if you want to argue which has better graphics, make your own thread.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!