Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PC Games
PC Games
2004-07-07, 5:43 PM #41
KotOR if you like RPGs.. and even if you don't, its the best Star Wars game since TIE Fighter.

Far Cry if FPS games are your thing, but be warned it will more than likely make you cry because it has a tendency to chew up RAM, GPUs, and CPUs and then ask for more. Also, its really not that long, and the story is laughable at best. Can't be beaten for the atmosphere, however. (Here's some screens I took a while ago on my 9800 Pro.)

Unreal Tournament 2004, preferably the DVD version (the CD version is 6 CDs, and that's just nuts). This is pretty much THE multiplayer game right now, if you ask me. I think everyone and their grandmother has this. It is also worth every red cent I paid for it, which, btw, there weren't much of, as it is only $39.99. Its ridiculously worthy of that, considering the massive amounts of content you get right out of the box, not counting the numerous maps produced by the community, as well as some amazingly fantastic mods (Alien Swarm, dammit!). The graphics are not bad at all, though not nearly comparable to something like Far Cry.

I'd recommend Painkiller if and only if you enjoy straight-action shooters, in the vein of Serious Sam. That said, it really is an awesome game, but there's a significant lack of coop, and the multiplayer that IS there is mediocre at best. But you can't beat pinning bad guys to walls with a 3 foot long wooden stake.

Thief 3 if you're stealthy. I've heard mixed stuff about this game, but the general gist of everything is that Ion Storm didn't destroy the Thief franchise with this sequel like they did to Deus Ex.

Morrowind isn't exactly NEW, the graphics can get dated (though, there are graphical additions done by people in the community that make things, especially characters, much better looking), but I'll be damned if I can think of a better RPG in recent memory. That game is so addictive I literally have to keep it uninstalled if I want to get anything else done. If you get Morrowind and its two expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon) you've got such a long, deep game that you may never quite see everything it has to offer. Morrowind is essentially what an MMORPG should be, an immense, immersive, open-ended experience, without all the jackasses running around asking for 'ph4t l3wt' or constantly spamming 'WANT TRADE? PRESS BUTAN! KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE =^-^='. General opinion of the game that I've seen is that the majority of people love it, and some loathe it like it was spawned from the bowels of hell itself. I loved it. The engine is also quite finicky, the combat is somewhat uninteresting, and the constant loading between areas can be a pain, but overall the game is great.

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, Duel Dustball, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.

[This message has been edited by Gonk (edited July 07, 2004).]
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-07-07, 5:44 PM #42
It seems my previous post was too subtle so let's try this again:

GIVE IT A REST ALREADY.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-07, 5:54 PM #43
Sorry Jaiph. Does this mean..w-we're..not together anymore? *tears up* sniffle.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 5:59 PM #44
No, this doesn't have to affect our...arrangement.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-07, 6:03 PM #45
Yay!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 7:00 PM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
FFXI has just a better overall feel and look to it, it's quality.</font>

Meh... FFXI kinda bugs me, it doesn't feel as high quality as you say. I feel like the textures are pretty low res, and character models could use a bit of work. And when you stare at some textures while moving, they get rediculously grainy. No, XI doesn't win on graphics.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-07, 7:09 PM #47
Have you played the game? Screenshots really dont give some of the enviroments justice, especially the new areas coming in with promethia, and the dynamis areas recently added

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-07-07, 7:37 PM #48
What fishy said. It's a beautiful game. I love the ambient models and textures.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 7:42 PM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Have you played the game? Screenshots really dont give some of the enviroments justice, especially the new areas coming in with promethia, and the dynamis areas recently added.</font>

I have an account(Garuda server), so yes I have played the game. So I have experienced the graphics, and well... meh.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-07, 7:48 PM #50
I'll probably get either Morrowind or Farcry, i'm not sure about FarCry because of the Graphics card, but it seems to run the demo fine:/

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-07, 7:50 PM #51
The retail version of Far Cry generally runs better than the demo, so if you have no problems with that, you should be fine.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.

[This message has been edited by Jazzkokehead (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 8:35 PM #52
The thing that always bothered me about FFXI was the stupid world pass stuff. At what point did the designers think that making it a royal pain in the *** for friends to play a game that lives and dies on community was a GOOD idea? I mean really, what were they smoking? "Oh, lets just make it so that friends have to work their asses off to get a world pass, and then to top that off, lets make them start as a newbie all over again so no one will ever bother to leave their starting server and thus all servers will look to be successful, even though they're filled with angry players who want nothing more than the ability to play at will with their friends in a game they own and pay for. You know, just like EVERY OTHER MMORPG OUT THERE. OH NO, LET US BE STUPIDLY DIFFERENT IN THAT RESPECT."

Yes I am a little perturbed by that.

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, Duel Dustball, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.

[This message has been edited by Gonk (edited July 07, 2004).]
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-07-07, 8:42 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gonk:
Yes I am a little perturbed by that.</font>

Just a little, hehe. But yeah I agree with you. I guess they needed a way to keep the servers relatively balanced, and by making it to much of a pain to get on a server with all your friends, they have done just that.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-08, 3:48 PM #54
Well, Far Cry does look good... But to be honest, it has one of the ugliest player models I've ever seen, regardless of the polycount.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-07-08, 7:49 PM #55
Seeing as it's a first person shooter, you really don't have to worry about the player model, do you?

------------------
2004-07-08, 8:56 PM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gonk:
What gonk said about world passes

</font>

Work your asses off? It takes me about 5 minutes to get the gil I need to get a world pass. They cost 2,000 gil (roughly). I just got a loot that just sold for 85,000 gil. World passes are CHEAP compared to the stuff I buy, even at level 28.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-07-08, 8:56 PM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silent_killa:
Well, Far Cry does look good... But to be honest, it has one of the ugliest player models I've ever seen, regardless of the polycount.

</font>

Well, do you mean you think the model looks bad from a graphical standpoint, or you jsut think the guy is ugly? because if its the later, the graphics engine can be excused from the blame.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-09, 8:58 AM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzkokehead:
Seeing as it's a first person shooter, you really don't have to worry about the player model, do you?

</font>

Since it is a FPS, I do have worry about the character models because FPS is all about SHOOTING player models. And since player models are commonly res-used all the time, it better look good.

Noble:
Nah, I was refering to the character designs and all. So the engine aint at fault.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-07-09, 12:39 PM #59
Oh goodie! Another "non-debate thread"! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
But realy, I don't think Far Cry's graphics are that great. The water isn't animated I don't think, and the only that's better about it is that you can swim decently in it and it's not a flat texture. The weapon modles are ok, but the bullets seems to travel to slow. It has nice levles, and some realy nice textures, but the graphics in genral look like thier at least equaled by Raven Shield. I not that happy about hardly any of today's new game graphis. They're good but it seems like they coudl be alot better.

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 12:54 PM #60
Uhh, the water is animated, the water is the best looking thing in the game. Bullets...move to slow....WHAT?! And comparing FarCry to raven shield is a sin.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-09, 2:03 PM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silent_killa:
Since it is a FPS, I do have worry about the character models because FPS is all about SHOOTING player models. And since player models are commonly res-used all the time, it better look good.

Noble:
Nah, I was refering to the character designs and all. So the engine aint at fault.

</font>

I thought you meant the player model, not the enemy models.

------------------
2004-07-09, 2:05 PM #62
Okay huh. Obi...you've got problems man. FarCry's water was BEAUTIFUL, the game itself was awesome looking, and it's as close as we're getting to DooM 3 until it's released, as far as player models go. Environment wise, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks overall more realistic than Doom 3. HL2 will have a better physics engine than either. What in the hell do you WANT from games?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 2:57 PM #63
Monkeys.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!