Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Goodbye Freedom
Goodbye Freedom
2006-12-05, 1:29 PM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/05/ny.trans.fat.ap/index.html

Now they're telling us what we can and can't eat...I hope other places don't become as stupid as NY.
2006-12-05, 1:40 PM #2
Completely ridiculous. If people have so much trouble eating healthily that they need a city government to step in and make their decisions for them, they're not long for this world anyway.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-05, 1:42 PM #3
This is the most egregious example of our lack of freedom you can find?
2006-12-05, 1:48 PM #4
Originally posted by Brian:
This is the most egregious example of our lack of freedom you can find?

Well no, this is just the most current stupid thing to happen.

We have the FDA to tell us whats safe or not to eat, and then city of NY decides to go and tell resturants they can't sell it anyway.
2006-12-05, 1:55 PM #5
Oh no! Not my trance fats!

Can't go all

boom chk boom chk
boom chk boom chk
blziaunng
tic tic tic boom boom
boom chk boom chk
boom crshh bznng
boom
fat

anymore.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-05, 1:58 PM #6
Silly burgerboys.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-12-05, 2:04 PM #7
Maybe if people would eat right they wouldn't need to ban it. Still pretty stupid though, I hate when people pass responsibility.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-12-05, 2:06 PM #8
Haha.

Whisper 1: "Hey man, you got the transfat?"
Whisper 2: "Pre Hydrog. You're not a pig, are you?"
Whisper: 1: "Do I look like a cop to you? 30 bucks"
*exchange*
Whisper 2: "You never saw me."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-05, 2:08 PM #9
While I don't necessarily support the ban on trans fats, the fact of the matter is that, unfortunately, people are stupid. Just look at how popular the Atkins diet was. Stupid legislation, while not necessarily a good thing, is there to protect idiots from themselves (e.g. seatbelt laws, etc). I believe they should have started with a ban in schools and then gone from there.
2006-12-05, 2:09 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Haha.

Whisper 1: "Hey man, you got the transfat?"
Whisper 2: "Pre Hydrog. You're not a pig, are you?"
Whisper: 1: "Do I look like a cop to you? 30 bucks"
*exchange*
Whisper 2: "You never saw me."

Word, I'm going to be NYs first lard-running mafia boss.
2006-12-05, 2:11 PM #11
There's a good reason it's banned. The trans fats are horrible for you, and can be taken out of the food with noticeable taste difference, and no changes in cooking with other replacement oils.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-05, 2:12 PM #12
Originally posted by MentatMM:
While I don't necessarily support the ban on trans fats, the fact of the matter is that, unfortunately, people are stupid. Just look at how popular the Atkins diet was. Stupid legislation, while not necessarily a good thing, is there to protect idiots from themselves (e.g. seatbelt laws, etc). I believe they should have started with a ban in schools and then gone from there.

I don't think government should protect people from themselves. That's the whole point here. Seatbelt laws are stupid, helmet laws are stupid, and trans-fat bans are stupid. If you are such a moron that you refuse to wear your seatbelt, why should the governement spent billions on laws and ad campaigns and law enforcement officers if you can't even be bothered to protect yourself? Frankly, the only time these types of laws make sense is when it's people hurting others. For example, if a mom drives around w/out making her kids buckle up, that obviously affects the kids, so making seatbelts mandatory for people under 18 makes sense. Banning smoking around kids makes sense. However, once someone is of age, they are old enough to make their own decisions. And there shouldn't be laws against making stupid decisions as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others.
2006-12-05, 3:03 PM #13
Quote:
Now they're telling us what we can and can't eat.

No, you can still eat trans fats if you really want to, but they're telling restraunts that they must meet certain health requirements. I don't see the problem here.

I suppose one could say "If a restraunt wants to save money and serve us unhealthy food, they should be allowed to!" But not too many people would go out of their way to make that argument.
2006-12-05, 3:09 PM #14
Brian stated my views exactly. I hate it when they do stuff like this. Sometimes it's enough to make me glad I live in a red state.
Warhead[97]
2006-12-05, 3:22 PM #15
But it's not like they're telling people that they can't eat trans fats. They site it as a health standard for restraunts to not serve them, (just like saying you need to wash the utensils that you cook with) only this one was more of a gray area so everyone is angry about it.
2006-12-05, 3:32 PM #16
I actually support this. Trans fat is essentially poison.
2006-12-05, 3:58 PM #17
yeah, but brian, with seatbelts, if you dont wear one, and you get in a side impact, you can get thrown hard onto another passenger and injure them. I just dont get what people have against using safty equipment. if you use them, why do you have a problem with the law since it doesnt affect you, and if you dont use said safty devices, can you please explain why you dont use them.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-12-05, 4:03 PM #18
I dont see the big deal. The place i worked cooked with an oil that didnt have Trans Fats.... its just another health code.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-12-05, 4:17 PM #19
Originally posted by alpha1:
yeah, but brian, with seatbelts, if you dont wear one, and you get in a side impact, you can get thrown hard onto another passenger and injure them. I just dont get what people have against using safty equipment. if you use them, why do you have a problem with the law since it doesnt affect you, and if you dont use said safty devices, can you please explain why you dont use them.

Not to mention it's the government that has to pay to scrape your ejected corpse off the road.

It'll be interesting to see if this leads to an overall healthier NY or if nothing really changes.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-05, 4:28 PM #20
I wear my seatbelt because it's the smart thing to do, not because it's required by law. I wear a helmet on my motorcycle because it's the smart thing to do. I do not wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, because I've been riding bicycles since I was 3 and I've never hit my head in a crash, ever. I think it's silly to require these stupid *** things on top of my head that make me look like a moron and don't help anyway.

The point is this country is so scared of everything that this idea of "safety" becomes more important than anything else in life. And that is simply wrong. Soon, we'll have to wear airbag suits on motorcycles. We'll have to wear padded helmets while walking in public. We'll have to wear parachutes when we go over 3 stories in earthquake-prone areas.

It's my life. If I want to risk it for comfort or pleasure, it's my decision, not the governments.

And the reason WA started enforcing the seatbelt law is because they get $101 for each ticket they write, not because they're concerned about our safety.
2006-12-05, 4:29 PM #21
Per health issue: If people were to stop consuming these types of foods day in day out NY wouldn't have to do crazy **** like this. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Seat belts: If you choose not to wear a restraining device in a metal box travelling 25 - 80+ MPH then quite honestly, you should get the absolute minimum healthcare. Like they stop the bleeding then just send you on the way home. See I would be more on your side, Brian, if this were the case. Unforutunately people want their cake and eat it too.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-05, 4:33 PM #22
People WILL eat whatever no matter if its good for them or not (see here: http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=45024 )

Health codes have been around for quite some time now, I really dont think this is a terrible issue of the government denying your freedoms.
2006-12-05, 4:41 PM #23
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Per health issue: If people were to stop consuming these types of foods day in day out NY wouldn't have to do crazy **** like this. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Seat belts: If you choose not to wear a restraining device in a metal box travelling 25 - 80+ MPH then quite honestly, you should get the absolute minimum healthcare. Like they stop the bleeding then just send you on the way home. See I would be more on your side, Brian, if this were the case. Unforutunately people want their cake and eat it too.

Considering most health care in this country is private, it doesn't involve the government anyway. If I got splattered onto the road but managed to live through it, my health care would be paid by the insurance company *I* pay each month, not by taxpayers.

Of course, morons who don't wear their seatbelts would be charged higher insurance rates, but that only makes sense.

When I applied for life insurance, they asked me whether I go skydiving or race any motor vehicles. They either don't insure or charge a much higher rate for those people since they are an increased risk.

When you choose to risk your life or your livelihood, you must consider the concequences.
2006-12-05, 4:55 PM #24
Will there be a ban on this new-fangled fried coke? :P
DO NOT WANT.
2006-12-05, 5:01 PM #25
Tee hee, i beat zell to the punch.

although he beat me to a punch...LINE

hahahaha hoooohoohooh
2006-12-05, 5:03 PM #26
Originally posted by Brian:
Considering most health care in this country is private, it doesn't involve the government anyway. If I got splattered onto the road but managed to live through it, my health care would be paid by the insurance company *I* pay each month, not by taxpayers.

Of course, morons who don't wear their seatbelts would be charged higher insurance rates, but that only makes sense.

When I applied for life insurance, they asked me whether I go skydiving or race any motor vehicles. They either don't insure or charge a much higher rate for those people since they are an increased risk.

When you choose to risk your life or your livelihood, you must consider the concequences.

I was actually talking about both private and public. When I said that people want their cake and eat it too, I was referring to people who demand good healthcare from either their public or private one. Thus they drive the premiums up. That I despise.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-12-05, 5:03 PM #27
Unfortunately, insurance companies put pressure on governments to enforce laws that save them money through various incentives.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-05, 5:23 PM #28
trans fat is absolutely horrible for you. It NEEDS to get banned everywhere.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-12-05, 5:36 PM #29
So is smoking.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-05, 5:45 PM #30
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Tee hee, i beat zell to the punch.

although he beat me to a punch...LINE

hahahaha hoooohoohooh

Well... damnit. Foiled again.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-12-05, 5:53 PM #31
The seatbelt laws aren't to protect the person wearing the seatbelt. They protect the other driver. Imagine for a moment you are in an accident. It is entirely your fault. The other driver wasn't wearing their seatbelt and is hurt badly. Perhaps if they had been wearing it, they would be fine. But they weren't. Now you are liable for their medical care. This is hardly fair. One of the principles of our legal system is that people are not responsible for things beyond their control, and you are certainly not in control of whether or not Joe Blow wears his seatbelt. Enter the seatbelt law. Now, you have the accident, and the guy's not wearing his seatbelt. Oh well, poor him. You aren't liable anymore. Your insurance company rightly denies him payment because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. The same holds true for cyclists. If you hit an un-helmeted cyclist and they sustain a head injury, you're off the hook.

Now, of course, banning trans-fats is a different issue all together. First off, trans-fats, unlike car accidents, are not fatal in single doses. Second, no one is forcing you to eat trans-fats. It's not like that sports car that ran a red light and t-boned you; no waiters are running around stuffing big macs down people's throats against their will. Third, it's just dumb.

However, the government does have the right to regulate the sale of food stuffs. But they also need some perspective. The problem isn't that people eat trans-fat, it's that they eat way to much of it. And it's in everything. And we need it. It's like telling people they can't eat protein. You need fat, of all varieties, to be healthy. You can't cut out an entire nutrient category.

The problem in America is that never before has a people had such access to calories. Finding enough to eat has been the premier struggle for man kind since we first threw rocks at wildebeest. Now the premier struggle is deciding to watch CBS or NBC. American's are fat because we're too damn successful. If we were barely making it like the people in third world countries, yeah, we'd be skinny too. (And no, Europe, you aren't nearly as successful as us - and you got fat people too. So stuff it.)

They should just require clearer posting of nutritional content. You can get the info at fast food places now. If you ask for it. By mail.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-12-05, 6:00 PM #32
This might save the society, or more specifically the government, the cost of healthcare for poor medical conditions that are linked to trans fats. It's not a huge offense on the freedoms of people anyway. Consider this an experiment in NYC; if it works, then great.
2006-12-05, 6:01 PM #33
As long as I can still get my pizza and it tastes the same, why not?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-05, 6:40 PM #34
Ha ha, 'doses' of car accidents.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-12-05, 6:51 PM #35
it'll teach the bastards cooking this **** up that theres better food to put in the crap they serve.

to be honest, its disgusting rubbish, it'll make the food folk make better munch and it'll be better for the folk eating it in the long run.
2006-12-05, 7:55 PM #36
Originally posted by Isuwen:
The seatbelt laws aren't to protect the person wearing the seatbelt. They protect the other driver. Imagine for a moment you are in an accident. It is entirely your fault. The other driver wasn't wearing their seatbelt and is hurt badly. Perhaps if they had been wearing it, they would be fine. But they weren't. Now you are liable for their medical care. This is hardly fair. One of the principles of our legal system is that people are not responsible for things beyond their control, and you are certainly not in control of whether or not Joe Blow wears his seatbelt. Enter the seatbelt law. Now, you have the accident, and the guy's not wearing his seatbelt. Oh well, poor him. You aren't liable anymore. Your insurance company rightly denies him payment because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. The same holds true for cyclists. If you hit an un-helmeted cyclist and they sustain a head injury, you're off the hook.

Now, of course, banning trans-fats is a different issue all together. First off, trans-fats, unlike car accidents, are not fatal in single doses. Second, no one is forcing you to eat trans-fats. It's not like that sports car that ran a red light and t-boned you; no waiters are running around stuffing big macs down people's throats against their will. Third, it's just dumb.

However, the government does have the right to regulate the sale of food stuffs. But they also need some perspective. The problem isn't that people eat trans-fat, it's that they eat way to much of it. And it's in everything. And we need it. It's like telling people they can't eat protein. You need fat, of all varieties, to be healthy. You can't cut out an entire nutrient category.

The problem in America is that never before has a people had such access to calories. Finding enough to eat has been the premier struggle for man kind since we first threw rocks at wildebeest. Now the premier struggle is deciding to watch CBS or NBC. American's are fat because we're too damn successful. If we were barely making it like the people in third world countries, yeah, we'd be skinny too. (And no, Europe, you aren't nearly as successful as us - and you got fat people too. So stuff it.)

They should just require clearer posting of nutritional content. You can get the info at fast food places now. If you ask for it. By mail.

in australia, they put the nutritional content on the packaging. (well, at least at mcdonalds.)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-12-05, 7:59 PM #37
I propose gentlemen, that we start the great Massassi Trans Fat Mafia.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-12-05, 8:13 PM #38
Originally posted by Isuwen:

All great points. Stupid new york.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-05, 8:16 PM #39
Hear, hear.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-12-05, 8:20 PM #40
When are you going to realize that people dont care?

Its a Health Code. There are TONS of health codes. This one just happens to be about cooking with trans fats. Its not like you wouldnt be able to buy a trans fat somewhere else, just not in a restaurant. Why complain when they ban Tans Fats? They banned foi gras in Chicago. Why not complain about that?

↑ Up to the top!