Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Goodbye Freedom
Goodbye Freedom
2006-12-06, 12:01 AM #41
I just love the hypocrites who smoke yet hate trans-fats. Hee hee hee.

Damn, I nearly forgot my favorite word.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-06, 12:11 AM #42
[QUOTE=Duo Maxwell]Now they're telling us what we can and can't eat...I hope other places don't become as stupid as NY.[/QUOTE]Allow me to explain this to you:

Trans fats do not occur in nature in large amounts. Natural fats and oils gradually go bad: they become rancid. Companies that use large amounts of grease, such as fast food places and processed food manufacturers, wanted to find a grease or grease alternative that had a longer shelf life. They accomplished this by modifying existing fats in such a way that they cannot be broken down as quickly.

Trans fats cannot be processed by the human body either. They accumulate. They coat the blood vessels. The only way to get rid of them is to have them bond to normal fats, but this only happens when you eat a normal natural diet of 2-5% trans fats. And given how much food companies use trans fats, this is impossible to achieve unless you never eat out and you never eat a processed food.

And the worst part of it all? They do nothing! They can be replaced, 1:1 for REAL fats, with absolutely no change in the consistency, flavor or recipe. The only reason trans fats are used is because companies are greedy and don't care if you live or die, as long as they can give their investors that extra 0.01% return.

If you seriously think you have a "right" to eat trans fats, do yourself a favor and give yourself the "right" to chug a bottle of Drain-o. I'd rather not have corporations wholesaling my health just to save $0.02 on a bag of Doritos. You are not smart for complaining about the "man" telling you what to eat. Artificial trans fats are a poison, end of story.
2006-12-06, 12:20 AM #43
Having actually done some reading on trans fats now, I may have to change my standpoint on this. Trans fats have no known health benefits and they present known health risks; seems to me that if restaurants included most other substances that meet that description in their food, they'd probably be sued for poisoning their customers.

The foie gras thing does piss me off, though. That's just animal rights groups trying to enforce their morality on everone else.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-12-06, 5:47 AM #44
Originally posted by Brian:
I don't think government should protect people from themselves. That's the whole point here. Seatbelt laws are stupid, helmet laws are stupid, and trans-fat bans are stupid. If you are such a moron that you refuse to wear your seatbelt, why should the governement spent billions on laws and ad campaigns and law enforcement officers if you can't even be bothered to protect yourself?

Seatbelts aren't only there for your protection, but also for the protection of other people. The human body can inflict quite some damage when it comes flying at you at 100 km/h.[/Off-topic]
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-12-06, 10:36 AM #45
People sitting in the backset of a car not wearing a seat belt tend to fly forward and break the necks of people sitting in the fornt seat when the car they are riding in comes to a sudden and violent stop.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-07, 5:16 AM #46
Originally posted by MBeggar:
When are you going to realize that people dont care?

Its a Health Code. There are TONS of health codes. This one just happens to be about cooking with trans fats. Its not like you wouldnt be able to buy a trans fat somewhere else, just not in a restaurant. Why complain when they ban Tans Fats? They banned foi gras in Chicago. Why not complain about that?

Hmm very good point. Gum chewing is not allowed in school, but hey I do it all the time. Like cell phones too, but I still use mine during school.
Back again
2006-12-07, 6:28 AM #47
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Why complain when they ban Tans Fats? They banned foi gras in Chicago. Why not complain about that?

I know people who did and I think they are entirely right to be angry and complain. It is not something that the city should really be worrying about.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm

↑ Up to the top!