Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl trailers! (Insane)
New Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl trailers! (Insane)
2004-07-06, 10:52 AM #1
After watching the trailers, its safe to say that Stalker IMO, will be better then HL2 and D3.

Large Version, 158MBs:
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/stalker/stlkwlk_big.zip.html

Small version, 38MBs:
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/stalker/stlkwlk_sml.zip.html

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited July 06, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-07-06, 10:58 AM #2
Can't view them (damn dial up [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]) but from what I have seen that game looks like it is going to be very good. Can't wait for it to come out.
2004-07-06, 11:06 AM #3
When's it coming out?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-06, 11:15 AM #4
I think gamespot.com said 11/01 this year. I thought I saw September somewhere too.
2004-07-06, 11:47 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
After watching the trailers, its safe to say that Stalker IMO, will be better then HL2 and D3.

</font>

No.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-06, 12:02 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzkokehead:
No.

</font>

Umm yes, this game has ALL the features plus better AI, environments, and story IMO. At least watch THESE trailers before arguing wiuth me.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

a stroll to my step;
2004-07-06, 12:06 PM #7
No.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-06, 12:15 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Umm yes, this game has ALL the features plus better AI, environments, and story IMO. At least watch THESE trailers before arguing wiuth me.</font>

You can't argue the AI point, considering we haven't seen the final AI for D3 and HL2. And for environments, well Chernobyl vs. Mars... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
2004-07-06, 1:34 PM #9
I willing to bet HL2 will the most over-hyped game ever. I've been following Stalker for awhile now, and I don't think it'll let me down.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-06, 1:42 PM #10
Watched all the Stalker trailers, and I'm still sticking with HL2. Was not at all impressed by the combat, and the graphics they were showing off are nothing new since Far Cry.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-07-06, 2:03 PM #11
...did you see the skies? waaay better than FC.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-06, 2:05 PM #12
Does it really need to be a competition? I enjoyed FC and I plan to play both STALKER and HL2.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-06, 2:08 PM #13
when someone compares the two, yes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-07-06, 2:14 PM #14
Considering neither are out it's somewhat a case of pre-mature evisceration.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-06, 2:15 PM #15
Man, how can they call 38 megs "small"? Do they think EVERYONE has a super-fast broadband connection?

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-06, 2:25 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
Considering neither are out it's somewhat a case of pre-mature evisceration.

</font>

or a fair arguement because they are both on the same grounds as far as that goes. i mean if HL2 or doom3 can do the same stuff as this... then why not show it off like stalker does?

on a side note, i really like how you have to refil the gas for vehicles, and how they dont stay in good shape the whole time. this has to be the most real game ive ever seen.

------------------
2004-07-06, 4:24 PM #17
Stalker will be a different type of game. It's supposed to be near photorealistic, but I don't think it'll hold a candle to DooM 3. Carmack has never let us down, I don't get why so many people think he will now.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-06, 4:35 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
Stalker will be a different type of game. It's supposed to be near photorealistic, but I don't think it'll hold a candle to DooM 3. Carmack has never let us down, I don't get why so many people think he will now.

</font>

THANK YOU.

Half-Life 2...yah I'll get it when it comes out, bundled with Duke Nukem Forever.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 4:42 PM #19
hey, by saying one game is better than the other doesnt mean im saying doom3 and hl2 will be crap. i think they both look friggin awesome and cant wait till they're out. im just saying stalker looks friggin awesom-er... even awesom-o!

------------------
2004-07-06, 4:45 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
hey, by saying one game is better than the other doesnt mean im saying doom3 and hl2 will be crap. i think they both look friggin awesome and cant wait till they're out. im just saying stalker looks friggin awesom-er... even awesom-o!

</font>

It would be awesome-o, but it won't give me my damned suppository.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 7:31 PM #21
I'm not saying Stalker won't be a good game, it just doesn't look as graphically impressive to me as Doom III or Half-Life 2.

I haven't played any of the games, so I can't say anything beyond that.

And yes, I did watch the movies before I made my comment.

------------------
2004-07-06, 9:03 PM #22
This and HL2 are definitely the most promising looking games on the horizon. I'm with Jaiph, really looking forward to both [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I love how at the end of the last trailer he says something like 'a PC game to test the hardcore PC gamers out there', ie. if you dont have a kick-*** PC, this wont run. About time a manufacturer was honest about the hardware needed to run their game, and a very interesting marketting strategy.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited July 07, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-07, 3:10 AM #23
As long as you've watched the trailers you are entitled to your opinion. I just think the creature and human AI is absolutly unbelieveable... I mean creatures that hunt, have basic needs, are territorial plus being completely unscripted and always roaming on their own is crazy.

------------------

a stroll to my step;
2004-07-07, 6:54 AM #24
THe only thing I don't like about the AI, especially human, plagues almost every game I've ever seen with Human AI. They can see exactly where you are instantly when you are far away, and only your head poking out. :/
DO NOT WANT.
2004-07-07, 7:22 AM #25
That's true Zell. I must admit it's on my to-buy list now, but it's not coming between me and Doom 3 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 11:48 AM #26
need. new. computer.

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-07, 12:28 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
need. new. computer.

</font>

hehe.... That was EXACTLY what I thought during the last trailer. I want this and HL2! They both look bloody amazing! I love how it seems guns are more accurate when you pull them up to your eye and use the real sight. Did anyone else notice that it seems there is no crosshair when you are walking around, but when you crouch it appears.
The AI looks magnificent, but as Zell said, the "pop your head out and they instantly know where you are" thing can ruin games. I also liked it how not all of the STALKERs are hostile. That should help people who like to judge their target before you kill.

P.S. Is it just me or has Massassi seemed to have gotten a LOT more hostile in the past month

------------------
[url="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp"]http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp[/url]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-07-07, 12:30 PM #28
I clicked on your sig and it took me to massassi. That is freaking cool.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-07, 12:34 PM #29
heh... ya Gianturl is more fun than tiny url

------------------
[url="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
RunXrp"]http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
RunXrp[/url]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-07-07, 2:33 PM #30
From the preview information available to us, and assuming all information from developers is true, STALKER has the most advanced engine of them all. If the game is as good as what we see in the trailers, it should be on par with HL2 or D3.

STALKER isn't as well publicized and marketed, it may be one of those games that developers into a (relatively) small but strong community of followers, perhaps like JK. Since STALKER seems like the only engine worth editing at the moment (AI of HL2, lighting of D3 but much, much better, capable of larger environments than either) I'm really hoping that its community does develop the way I hope it will.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-07, 2:49 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
From the preview information available to us, and assuming all information from developers is true, STALKER has the most advanced engine of them all. If the game is as good as what we see in the trailers, it should be on par with HL2 or D3.

STALKER isn't as well publicized and marketed, it may be one of those games that developers into a (relatively) small but strong community of followers, perhaps like JK. Since STALKER seems like the only engine worth editing at the moment (AI of HL2, lighting of D3 but much, much better, capable of larger environments than either) I'm really hoping that its community does develop the way I hope it will.

</font>

You don't know anything about the AI of Doom 3. Nobody does, not even those who played the leaked beta, because some of it was written by fanboys. Besides, I just can't see it being on par with Doom 3 graphics wise. OGL SM2.0 > DX9 SM2.0. Also a lot more optimized.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 2:55 PM #32
How wonderful will the AI need to be in D3? I mean, running at you through hallways doesn't require complicated coding.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-07, 2:55 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
It would be awesome-o, but it won't give me my damned suppository.

</font>

*eats some toothpaste*

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-07, 3:06 PM #34
Where can I find out lots about this game without downloading any video files?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-07, 3:12 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
How wonderful will the AI need to be in D3? I mean, running at you through hallways doesn't require complicated coding.

</font>

You don't know the level structure. There could be instances where they're out in the middle of a clearing, there could be HUMAN opponents, you just don't know.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-08, 12:58 PM #36
No, we don't, but as I said, it's based on all the information given. I'm pretty sure people at id, such as Carmack, have stated the AI will be fairly simple. The game has been designed to be simple from the start, Carmack originally didn't want a jump or a crouch button.

Take a look at some of the screenshots on the STALKER site. They're easily the most realistic graphics out of any game; not the shiney that people say FC and D3 have, yet not suffering from the poor, low resolution lighting of HL2. It has all soft shadows and even penumbra (half shadow, shadows become more diffuse further and futher from the object), and incredible skies. Just comparing screenshots it's easy to tell that STALKER looks about the best.

Edit: AND the lighting can be all dynamic, they frequently brag about the day and night effects. Gameplay wise, the RPG elements could turn out incredible (or poor) and the story is pretty solid (maybe not incredible but intruiging enough to keep you going, perhaps like HL).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited July 08, 2004).]
2004-07-08, 1:11 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
Where can I find out lots about this game without downloading any video files?

</font>

http://stalker-game.com/

oh, and just for the hell of it:
http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_35.jpg

yum!

------------------
2004-07-08, 1:21 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
You don't know the level structure. There could be instances where they're out in the middle of a clearing, there could be HUMAN opponents, you just don't know.
</font>

Nope, and neither do you. For all you know it could be hallway after hallway.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-09, 6:49 AM #39
And could I care? That's what the original Doom was, and it is still one of my favorite games. It's just plain fun. And we should praise Carmack for the lack of a jump button. This means no pointless, annoying jumping puzzles(see JO).
2004-07-09, 7:32 AM #40
I like the odd jumping puzzle, gets boring just shooting things after a while.

Although in Duke/SW/DF it was a real pain in the $%##%#% sometimes, especially when you can't look up or down without retina-damage.

No jump/crouch... I dunno that's getting a bit hardcore, you might as well take out vertical mouse movement as well. Although apparently it's going back to 4 player multiplayer as well?

↑ Up to the top!