Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Freedom fries and now this
Freedom fries and now this
2004-07-10, 5:52 PM #1
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1506&e=3&u=/afp/us_vote_food

This is in response to Teresa Heinz-Kerry, the wife of John Kerry. In my opinion, this is stupid as hell, especially considering that the actual Heinz family only owns 4% of the company. And nevermind the fact there isn't anything more American than the story of Henry Heinz.

EDIT: In an unrelated note, http://jibjab.com/MovieViewer.aspx?contentid=162

[This message has been edited by KnobZ (edited July 10, 2004).]
2004-07-10, 6:00 PM #2
...O_o

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-07-10, 6:02 PM #3
I vote that we call this new "W Ketchup" simply "Whutchup".

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 10, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-10, 6:06 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Among the flavors offered by Star Spangled Ice Cream: "I Hate The French VANILLA (Real American Vanilla, NOT French Vanilla)" and "Nutty Environmentalist (Rich Buttery Ice Cream with Roasted Pecans)."</font>

Hahahahahaha

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-10, 6:09 PM #5
wtf...

Sometimes I hate this country. And the planet.

This really goes beyond words for me... it's just that stupid.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-10, 6:13 PM #6
Well I never... If our nation resorts to winning elections with KETCHUP, God knows what we'll do next. I find freedom fries, toast, ketchup or anything of the sort a juvenile effort to try to draw society to a cause. I personally don't like ketchup, but if I did, I would rather buy a generic store brand that sells ketchup by the bottle, not patriotism.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-10, 6:18 PM #7
That is astoundingly stupid.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-10, 6:21 PM #8
Stupid name, how many people are gonna think of "Dubya" instead of Washington?..

Then again for people who don't know it could turn them off of Bush more by labeling him a "sell-out."

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-10, 6:25 PM #9
Anybody ever read H.G. Well's "The War of the Worlds?" Remember towards the end when the artilleryman is explaining how the world needed the Martian invasion to kill off the weak and feeble? The clerks who scurry about to their jobs and to their homes with little ambition, just automatons in society; how the Martians would fatten these up and then kill them? Well, I think we are past due for something like that, only for the stupid people in the world.

We hear that obesity is becoming the next big epidemic, but I disagree. I think it's stupidity.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-10, 6:27 PM #10
These people are sad. They don't use a ketchup because they don't like the husband of the person that owns the company. I hope they get herpes.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 10, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-10, 6:28 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
We hear that obesity is becoming the next big epidemic, but I disagree. I think it's stupidity.

</font>
Hallelujah! Preach the truth, brother!
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-10, 6:44 PM #12
when people are worried about what political party there ketchup belongs to there is something rong with america

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-07-10, 6:45 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KnobZ:
EDIT: In an unrelated note, http://jibjab.com/MovieViewer.aspx?contentid=162</font>

I'm going to skip the stupidity of the first article and go to this. That's hilarious. kept me laughing the whole time. "From california... to the New York Islands *slap* what i do?"

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-10, 6:46 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Anybody ever read H.G. Well's "The War of the Worlds?" Remember towards the end when the artilleryman is explaining how the world needed the Martian invasion to kill off the weak and feeble? The clerks who scurry about to their jobs and to their homes with little ambition, just automatons in society; how the Martians would fatten these up and then kill them? Well, I think we are past due for something like that, only for the stupid people in the world.

</font>

YES. I'd completely forgotten that part of War of the Worlds.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-10, 6:46 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elana14:
when people are worried about what political party there ketchup belongs to there is something rong with america

</font>

Exactly. calm the hell down people. it's ****ing ketchup.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-10, 8:04 PM #16
It's a damned joke, people. It's hardly a serious campaign tactic, or even an angry boycott of goods from an anti-American nation like France, as is the case with 'freedom fries'. It's all simply a harmless joke, and if that offends you, then you need to get off your damned high horse and lighten up.

"You don't support Democrats. Why should your ketchup?" Heehee, that slogan cracks me up, politics completely aside. How does that not reek of pleasant satire?

Jerks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Self-righteous people are more sinful than I am.
Self-righteous people are more sinful than I am.
2004-07-10, 8:17 PM #17
it's not the ketchup... it's the stupidity behind the ketchup

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-10, 8:40 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Hahahahahaha

</font>

There was also a flavor called "Iraqi road" (rocky road). Good stuff.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-10, 8:43 PM #19
Right.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-10, 8:49 PM #20
Oh come on. "Nutty Environmentalist" is downright hilarious. It's such an uncouth stab while simultaneously being a clever play on words. You people are so wrapped up in politics that you can't see the funny. IT'S RIDICULOUS. THAT'S THE POINT!

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-10, 8:57 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
These people are sad. They don't use a ketchup because they don't like the husband of the person that owns the company. I hope they get herpes.

</font>

Or better yet, violated by a convicted felon using a mace.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-07-10, 9:45 PM #22
Or people could stop taking **** so seriously [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-10, 10:28 PM #23
Whoa...I always thought Heinz ketchup was German. Or Austrian. Or Swiss.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-11, 12:45 AM #24
But what if it tastes nicer than Heinz?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-11, 3:32 AM #25
Here's a question: how many Americans actually call french fries "freedom fries" now?

------------------
People who get murdered are victims, people who get killed in war are casualties and people who don't get killed at all are just plain boring. -Said by me-

In my dream world people wear trenchcoats and piss on sanity's grave.
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2004-07-11, 3:33 AM #26
I'm not american, but I call them freedom fries for the comedic value. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-11, 3:50 AM #27
I don't know why anyone would complain about the Heinz company. Mrs. Kerry actually has very little control on it's management, she just collects money. The people that actually run the company have been supporting Bush for quite some time.

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2004/april/0422_heinz_supports_bush.shtml
2004-07-11, 4:40 AM #28
Funny stuff. Those idiots that spent the time to make that ketchup are all driving American assembled cars with parts from around the world. Not to mention everything else they own. LOL!!!

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-11, 4:50 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
it's not the ketchup... it's the stupidity behind the ketchup

</font>

That, my friend, is the problem with modern politics in this country.

------------------
~ Vader's Corner ~
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-07-11, 8:17 AM #30
sigh. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-11, 8:28 AM #31
You know, even if this ketchup thing is just a joke, it's a STUPID one. Why make a joke that isn't funny? The only thing about it that I laugh at is the time they must have spent to make those lables.
2004-07-11, 9:14 AM #32
You /do/ realize this is not the first time things like this have occurred?

I imagine we are not even the only country to have done such things, though unfortunately i cannot remember or think of any specific examples that weren't the US.

But WW1/2 were rather notorious for similar things. Most notably the change from 'Frankfurter' to 'hot dog', sometimes going as far as to use 'liberty cabbage' for 'sauerkraut', and 'liberty measles' for 'german' measles', along with similar sorts of replacements.

And if you want to get really technical, it's arguable that the very re-standardization of spelling in colonial America was a reactopmary distancing sort of measure from England. However, i do not think that is necessary to show that there is a long American history of bowdlerization.

The /real/ irony here though is that 'French fries' are actually Belgium, not the mention that we are the only language in the world [that i am aware of] which /calls/ them that in the first place, most everywhere else they are merely 'frittes' or 'pommes frittes' or some variation thereof.

So, remember as you are eating your Freedom Bread Waffles, and Freedom Potato Strips, and drinking your Freedom Bubbly White Wine, that the most important thing of all is to remember to engage in lots of Freedom Kissing to support your country and show your patriotism!

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-11, 9:35 AM #33
I think some people are missing the issue here: Some people are trying to make ketchup a political issue. And to you it may seem like a joke, but it isn't to them. Just as the left has its psychos, so does the right. It's partisan crap like this that is ruining the country. It's ketchup for god's sake. If it tastes better, fine. But don't make it political.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 11, 2004).]
2004-07-11, 9:49 AM #34
I could have sworn both links are jokes (and funny too).

You guys are the ones taking the ketchup to seiously.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-11, 10:43 AM #35
I love how "made in the USA" is supposed to be some sort of advert.

There is a reason why the vast majority of everything is made in other countries. That is because stuff made in America is crap.

Pretty much everything can be made in other countries better and cheaper. Foreigners work harder for a lower wage, and that is why they are employed. I gladly buy stuff that's made in foreign countries, as my money is rewarding the hard work of some bloke. I'm not going to reward someone just for being of the same nationality.
Wage has to be based on how hard you work, not where you're from. Foreigners are stealing all your jobs? Work harder, lazy Americans.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-11, 10:47 AM #36
While I agree with you on the surface Mort, its is more complicated then that. I'll type it later if I have the time and you want me to.

------------------
2004-07-11, 11:05 AM #37
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

WHY!?!!>!>

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-07-11, 11:10 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Foreigners are stealing all your jobs? Work harder, lazy Americans.</font>

You may want to do some research before you make an idiotic statement like that.
2004-07-11, 11:21 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:

</font>

<3

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

New! Fireworks T-shirts!
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-07-11, 12:03 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
You may want to do some research before you make an idiotic statement like that.</font>

You might want to actually come up with a response before you make an idiotic reply like that.

Also, I do, Kieran.

I figure exploitation of third world countries probably comes into it?
For that, there's fair trade products.

It won't be long before we're branded thread hi-jackers for introducing an interesting subtopic into this thread, mind you. You might want to flood the forum with half a dozen threads to avoid this.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited July 11, 2004).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!