Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kerry chooses a running mate
Kerry chooses a running mate
2004-07-06, 4:58 AM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/06/kerry.vp/index.html

Personally, I think this will greatly help him in the election, with edward's strong charisma and likability (sp?)

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-07-06, 5:02 AM #2
What happens if they get elected?
Is Kerry still the president and Edward the vice-president? Or do they both sit in the same chair?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-06, 5:11 AM #3
Mort-Hog, if Kerry and running mate Edwards beat Bush and running mate Cheney, then Kerry will become the President, while Edwards becomes the VP.

Personally, I think the Edwards-Kerry matchup is a good thing for the Democrats.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-07-06, 5:24 AM #4
Ha ha! It's not Lieberman!
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Blown away by the force of the word, woken up by the sound of the siren. It's genocide.
2004-07-06, 5:24 AM #5
I think the Dems would have gotten more votes if it were the the way around. The primarys were held mostly in very left states. Edward seems a little smarter than Kerry too. Flipping some one off infront of news and a bunch of kids isn't usualy a good sign if you want some one to represnt you countery. And Edward dosen't look like a zombie either. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited July 06, 2004).]
2004-07-06, 5:33 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I think the Dems would have gotten more votes if it were the the way around. The primarys were held mostly in very left states. Edward seems a little smarter than Kerry too. Flipping some one off infront of news and a bunch of kids isn't usualy a good sign if you want some one to represnt you countery. And Edward dosen't look like a zombie either. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited July 06, 2004).]
</font>

Very true. If the matchup were Edwards-Kerry...I don't think the Republicans would stand a chance. Heck, I would vote for Edwards, and I'm a Republican.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-07-06, 6:43 AM #7
I'm sure that polls will look good for Kerry-Edwards until the debate cycle starts. I think Edwards does come across as charismatic but the two of them won't be able to hide from their records. That being that they are among the most liberal in the Senate, a millionaire by marriage, and a trial lawyer. All decidely unpopular with most of America.

I think Kerry made a good choice as something definitely needed to happen to energize his boring campaign.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-06, 11:02 AM #8
GOO kerry

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-06, 11:12 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
Personally, I think the Edwards-Kerry matchup is a good thing for the Democrats.</font>

Ha, nothing is good for the democrats right now. They are running scared at this point. If Kerry is elected, the first thing he is going to do is go whine to the United Nothings and beg them to help us, and make France and Germany like us. Kerry is a complete fool. He would have been better off with McCain, who he desperatly wanted over Edwards anyway.
2004-07-06, 11:27 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
If Kerry is elected, the first thing he is going to do is go whine to the United Nothings and beg them to help us, and make France and Germany like us.
</font>

Uh, what exactly is wrong with that? America desperately needs more UN support in Iraq.

And there's nothing 'good' about being unpopular in Europe. European integration would be very good for America.

I'm not so sure it'd be good for Europe, though, and and American-European relationship would need some give from both sides, and I don't think Americans are willing to do that. For the time being, American-European divide seems good, as it allows Europe to develop without being pulled back by America (apart from Britain), and perhaps when the EU is more powerful can the two engage in bilateral agreements.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Heck, I would vote for Edwards, and I'm a Republican.
</font>

No..you're not... If you vote for a Democrat, then you're a Democrat..
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-07-06, 11:32 AM #11
I'm not going to contribute to this thread, except to say, uh, no the **** you aren't. Voting for a candidate of a particular party does *not* mean that's how you're registered. See, Mort, in America, we have these things called "swing voters", which by most accounts make up a fifth of the electorate. The fact that I will probably vote for Bush does *not* mean I'm a Republican..

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited July 06, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-07-06, 12:22 PM #12
Edwards is not going to do a thing for Kerry. The Kerry-Edwards is a pretty liberal ticket. Kerry thought that picking up Edwards will win back the South but he'll soon find out that isn't going to work. Edwards didn't even win his own state of NC.

Although I'm curious about our resident Southerners (Skimpy, Sine Nomen, et al.), y'all think Edwards is going to pull some Southern state back to blue?

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-06, 12:25 PM #13
[http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0706041post1.jpg]
Saw this this morning.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-06, 12:27 PM #14
Ha.
2004-07-06, 12:27 PM #15
looks like they are about to passionately kiss.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-06, 12:36 PM #16
Uh, so you can be a Republican that votes Democrat?

What exactly does "being a Republican" mean then?

It just means that you were a Republican and you're now a Democrat.

If you vote Democrat, then you support the Democrats. If you support the Democrats, then you're a Democrat.
2004-07-06, 12:41 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Uh, so you can be a Republican that votes Democrat?</font>

Absolutely and vice-versa. I am a registered Republican in the State of California. Yet when I get the ballot I have the option of choosing Bush or Kerry or one of the 3rds. You may be confusing with the primary election where you vote according to how you're registered...at least this is the case in California.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-06, 12:53 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What exactly does "being a Republican" mean then?</font>

It means you generally agree and support the ideas and stances of the Republican party and are registered with them. However, maybe you are a rather liberal Republican and an ultra conservative is running for whatever office. In that case you may be inclined to vote for the democratic or more liberal candidate who is closer to your views.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-07-06, 1:38 PM #19
Edwards is a good choice for Kerry, but there's plenty for the Bush camp to exploit.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-06, 2:37 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What happens if they get elected?
</font>

They have to hold hands in public.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-06, 2:39 PM #21
Quote:
Uh, so you can be a Republican that votes Democrat?

What exactly does "being a Republican" mean then?

It just means that you were a Republican and you're now a Democrat.

If you vote Democrat, then you support the Democrats. If you support the Democrats, then you're a Democrat.
</font>

No, no and no. Someone who is registered Republican and embraces core Republican values can easily vote for a Democrat. That does not mean they are suddenly Democrat.
2004-07-06, 2:55 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
They have to hold hands in public.</font>

"We are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it."

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-06, 3:09 PM #23
I think Edwards is a GREAT addition. Also I think Bush has lost this election. While in the South, he's highly supported, I don't see why. He's lost 11 trillion dollars while in office, depleted the money to save Social Security, is the first president to LOSE jobs in his term, and has passed laws to help out big businesses and the like. Kerry wants to change that all around. If I could vote, Kerry would get mine, as he's starting to look like something a lot better than just a Bush replacement.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 3:29 PM #24
DJ Yoshi, I'd like you to point out a president that has ever made money for the country in recent years. Anyway, If I where I registered voter, I'd probably vote Bush. Kerry's campaign was kinda too "anti-Bush/I'm not Bush" The Democrats don't seem to have much of a leg to stand on to me.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-07-06, 3:32 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
DJ Yoshi, I'd like you to point out a president that has ever made money for the country in recent years. Anyway, If I where I registered voter, I'd probably vote Bush. Kerry's campaign was kinda too "anti-Bush/I'm not Bush" The Democrats don't seem to have much of a leg to stand on to me.

</font>

I can't, honestly. But can you point out one that's lost that MUCH? Or that many jobs? Or has passed loophole laws so people like Enron execs get off with 6 months-5 years in non-rape me in the *** prison (thank you office space) and a small fine, and evade millions-billions worth of taxes each year?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 3:53 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you vote Democrat, then you support the Democrats. If you support the Democrats, then you're a Democrat.
</font>
No. In America there is little to no political party whipping. All politicians decide how they want to vote for themselves. They don't have someone hovering over them like in Britain. It isn't at all uncommon to have Democrats supporting Republican bills or Republicans supporting Democratic bills. Democrat and Republican are merely labels of loose affiliation. If I vote for Kerry, that doesn't mean I support Democrats. That means I support HIM.

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-06, 4:18 PM #27
American politics is making less and less sense.

The actual individual that's leading the party is irrelevant, it's the party you're voting in that matters.

And what's this about being "a registered Republican"? Do you sign up to some Republican newsletter or something?
2004-07-06, 4:25 PM #28
Quote:
American politics is making less and less sense.

The actual individual that's leading the party is irrelevant, it's the party you're voting in that matters.

And what's this about being "a registered Republican"? Do you sign up to some Republican newsletter or something?
</font>

What? Okay uh huh? Every individual presidential candidate has its own agenda. You could be a republican, support right-wing ideals, and still vote Democrat if he was a better candidate, or at least one that looked out for you more.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-06, 8:21 PM #29
Quote:
And what's this about being "a registered Republican"? Do you sign up to some Republican newsletter or something?</font>

You can register with any of the parties. It's more a fund raising deal. Plus, you'll be a phone list for recorded campaign messages and campaign stuff in the mail.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Also I think Bush has lost this election. While in the South, he's highly supported, I don't see why. He's lost 11 trillion dollars while in office, depleted the money to save Social Security, is the first president to LOSE jobs in his term, and has passed laws to help out big businesses and the like. Kerry wants to change that all around. If I could vote, Kerry would get mine, as he's starting to look like something a lot better than just a Bush replacement.

</font>

Bush has hardly lost this election at this point. While charismatic, Edwards lacks experience. He's a freshman senator, has no foreign policy experience and his career as a trial lawyer won't help him out a lot.

Just to answer a question someone asked, Clinton was the last president to have a budget surplus

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-06, 9:53 PM #30
And as i recall the vast majority of the jobs he 'created', were more along the lines of shuffling people out of high-tech jobs and into burger-flipping jobs.

Though i may be thinking of Reagan, come to think of it.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-07, 2:24 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
What? Okay uh huh? Every individual presidential candidate has its own agenda. You could be a republican, support right-wing ideals, and still vote Democrat if he was a better candidate, or at least one that looked out for you more.

</font>

Exactly. Even though I'm a Republican, and have been for all my life, if Edwards were to run for President, I might vote Democratic for this particular election, because I feel that Edwards could do a better job than Bush at this point in time.

------------------
2004-07-07, 3:09 AM #32
Quote:

</font>

Basically, if you register to be X, you can vote in X's primary's to chose who will be running for the national election.

And just because you register, doesn't mean you automatically give your vote to party X. A lot of people are registered, but they don't vote (good ol' American apathy), but a democrat could vote for a D president, but also vote for a Republican senator and a democratic governor or something. We can mix it all up!

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-07-07, 5:57 AM #33
A "real Republican" (a person with right of center ideals) would not vote for Edwards against Bush as Edwards in one of the most liberal in the Senate.

I don't understand why Bush is viewed adversely with regards to the economy. He inherrited a recession, is fighting a war and despite that the economy is growing at a record rate and wide ranging tax relief has been given to everyone.

If you want to see pain just wait to see what happens in America if we elect Kerry.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-07, 7:29 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
A "real Republican" (a person with right of center ideals) would not vote for Edwards against Bush as Edwards in one of the most liberal in the Senate.

I don't understand why Bush is viewed adversely with regards to the economy. He inherrited a recession, is fighting a war and despite that the economy is growing at a record rate and wide ranging tax relief has been given to everyone.

If you want to see pain just wait to see what happens in America if we elect Kerry.

</font>

Fact 1: Okay he inherited a recession. Small one, but still a recession. I'll give you that.

Fact 2: The 11 trillion debt, wanna know what it's from? Not the war. None of it, almost. It's from tax rebates, tax breaks, tax tax tax cut cut cuts.

Fact 3: He's given tax relief to the wealthy, not the middle class or the poor. By wealthy I mean millionaire+

Fact 4: Bush lost 11 trillion dollars. I don't care what you're doing, that's way too much ****ing money.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 3:10 PM #35
The NY Post cover error is supposed to be worth money. Only time I'm glad my parents subscribe to that piece of crap.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-07, 3:26 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fact 3: He's given tax relief to the wealthy, not the middle class or the poor. By wealthy I mean millionaire+
</font>
So you're saying that my blue collar middle class dad is really a millionaire and I don't know it? Because he has certainly benefitted.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
2004-07-07, 3:54 PM #37
DJ Yoshi, you acknowledged that he inherrited a recesion so we're cool there but I think you off on a couple of other things.

First, you state that tax cuts lead to an increase in the debt. That's backwards thinking. Government spending leads to debt. Reduced taxes leads to less going in. Spending more than you earn increases debt. Bush certainly has not reigned in spending but taxes don't "cost" anything.

Second, certainly the wealthy have seen tax relief but they still pay far higher rates than I do. I've seen huge differences in what I pay in taxes and I'm far from rich. Also, the older I get the plainer it is for me to see that even at my level, I'm subsidised by the wealthy. They deserve the little breaks they got and I'm happy with the huge breaks I have seen.

Lastly, I'm not sure how Bush lost all the money you describe. If you're talking about debt, that's a minor concern as the country will always have debt. Deficit is a bigger concern but, to be fair, it should be pointed out that many economists believe that deficit spending is a viable tool to energize a sagging economy.

Personally I look at it this way: unemployment rates have fallen, home ownership has risen. Looks like things are far from "depressionary" as Kerry would describe them.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-07-07, 4:18 PM #38
Wookie--rebuttal time.

First, what you said makes no sense. Tax breaks DO cost the government money. Why? They take in less, spend just as much and/or more.

Second, the wealthy have seen HUMONGOUS breaks because Bush has made it that way, while the middle class workers still pay pretty much the same overall (most of the tax breaks you get are made up for later with higher income tax, etc etc.)

Third, he lost it through giving humongous tax breaks to the rich. HUMONGOUS. And sure debt may stimulate economy, but I fail to see how 11 trillion dollars of deficit is stimulating anything but the "HOLY **** WE SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY" though in everyone's brain.

Unemployment rates have just recently fallen. Overall they've still gone Up up up upu upupupupupupupup. Like I said, he's the first president since Hoover to LOSE jobs overall. And the rate at which he did that was staggering. It's not just a few caused by a lagging economy. It's a TON caused by an inept and crooked(er?) president.

Kieran--the above rebuttal should answer your question.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-07, 4:19 PM #39
All I know is I'm voting Libertarian. The FCC is pissing me off.

What about 9/11? That was what sent stocks down the toilet. Which pulled down the economy. Which pulled down employment rate. There was also the internet bubble burst at the end of the Clinton administration. Just because it happened during his administration, doesn't mean it was his fault. Things like Cause and Effect, freakish events, and circumstance aren't always under the President's control. Same goes for Hoover. From what I remember, he inherited the Depression but is still blamed for it. btw, are you actually suprised a conservative would give rich tax cuts?

I'm not an expert or anything. It's just food for thought.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 07, 2004).]
2004-07-07, 4:26 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
All I know is I'm voting Libertarian. The bull**** the FCC is pulling is pissing me off.

</font>

Kerry wants to stop the FCC BS too. Most of it at least.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!