Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kerry chooses a running mate
Kerry chooses a running mate
2004-07-08, 3:11 PM #81
Most of this debate has gone well with the exception of Bill calling people stupid.

Kerry was an advocate of a 50 cent per gallon increase in taxes on gasoline so he certainly has a record of supporting higher gas prices. You have to look at the record of people along with what they say. We all know that many politicians will say whatever they think needs to be heard to gain support.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-08, 7:02 PM #82
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Morf--we don't have any evidence that they have silos, they have what, 5 nukes? And those can be taken down midair. Not easily, albeit, but they cant. I don't even think NK has had any testing for the nukes, unless I'm mistaken. They really aren't a threat to us yet, but when their technology becomes more sophisticated, they will be.

</font>
Just as a side-note, considering those nukes were built with mainly black-market material, I wonder how great they really are.

I guess the Manhattan project was practically thrown together by today's standards, but this...

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-08, 9:24 PM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
I did. And Hellequin is wrong in saying it takes 8 years because it doesnt. FDR proves this because the country was coming out of the Depression when WWII started which made the recovery a lot more faster and permanent instead of being a temporary quick fix from the multitudes of programs FDR instituted.
</font>

No, I am not wrong. That is just esception to the rule. There are always exceptions to almost every rule. Besides, it wasn't policy that changed the economy, it was necessity. We spent millions of dollars, Riveter Rosy worked and paid taxes, and the economy boomed as a result. We had to buy, sell, and trade in order to power our war machine. Buying, selling, and trading are what makes an economy stronger. Whenever there is a full-scale war, the economy of the winning side improves. It wasn't policy that fixed us up. We didn't have time for policy, we had to take action. We acted out of desperation and necessity, not out of foresight or because of some amazing plan to fix everything.

------------------
Empty.

[This message has been edited by Hellequin (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 5:31 PM #84
Well, at least they're ... close.

[http://webpages.charter.net/wookie06/images/kerryedwards.jpg]

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-09, 5:37 PM #85
The Vice President means aboslutely nothing to me. It is essentially a useless position. Yes, the VP could become president, but that hasn't happened since Kennedy, and the circumstances of that incident are dubious to say the least.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-07-09, 6:05 PM #86
Are you saying that the only time a vice-president has become president was when Kennedy was assassinated? You should brush up on that subject abit if that is your belief.

edit- Sorry, I mis-read your post and I didn't want to erase what I wrote. Still, I'm not sure how your "dubious" comment relates to the VP taking over for Kennedy. Certainly you're not inferring that Johnson or other Democrats had something to do with the assassination.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

[This message has been edited by Wookie06 (edited July 09, 2004).]

2004-07-10, 5:43 AM #87
Quote:
Kerry wants to stop the FCC BS too. Most of it at least.

</font>

You're not allowed to say "BS" on the internet anymore. Come with us.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Blown away by the force of the word, woken up by the sound of the siren. It's genocide.
2004-07-10, 5:46 AM #88
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
Well, at least they're ... close.

[http://webpages.charter.net/wookie06/images/kerryedwards.jpg]

</font>

I think he's just...taking Edwards' pulse. That's got to be it.
2004-07-10, 10:36 AM #89
Or he's performing a sleeper hold of some kind, while attempting to eat his face.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited July 10, 2004).]
2004-07-10, 11:34 AM #90
Quote:

First, what you said makes no sense. Tax breaks DO cost the government money. Why? They take in less, spend just as much and/or more.

Second, the wealthy have seen HUMONGOUS breaks because Bush has made it that way, while the middle class workers still pay pretty much the same overall (most of the tax breaks you get are made up for later with higher income tax, etc etc.)

Third, he lost it through giving humongous tax breaks to the rich. HUMONGOUS. And sure debt may stimulate economy, but I fail to see how 11 trillion dollars of deficit is stimulating anything but the "HOLY **** WE SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY" though in everyone's brain.

Unemployment rates have just recently fallen. Overall they've still gone Up up up upu upupupupupupupup. Like I said, he's the first president since Hoover to LOSE jobs overall. And the rate at which he did that was staggering. It's not just a few caused by a lagging economy. It's a TON caused by an inept and crooked(er?) president.

Kieran--the above rebuttal should answer your question.

</font>

You're young yet, so you haven't had time to analyze to a degree of depth. But thanks to me and my philanthropic values, I'll explain it to you a bit.

Tax cuts do not cost the government money. Well, not in the longer run (and it's important not to be short-sighted, right?). I'll paint the scenario for you.

1. Government gives tax cuts to all (your wealthy only claims are partisan BS, I know for a fact because I myself benefitted from them, while you probably don't even have a full time job).
2. The people get more money.
3. The people spend more money.
4. The companies make more money.
5. The people make more money.
6. The government also gets more money, because they charge a PERCENT of income.

As you can see, economic growth also benfits the government, and in the end, everyone. That makes sense to you doesn't it? The economy does better, and *EVERYONE* makes more money. You may be thinking "but that money has to come from somewhere!!!". Not always, and that is the beauty of actual economic growth.

Meanwhile, taxing people more heavily just sends their money to the government, where it may as well be thrown into a furnace because bureaucracy, as we all know, is disgustingly inefficient as there is no capitalistic incentive to be efficient for the government; it's revenues are stolen, not earned, and therefore its actual ability to be efficient, fast, and agile are irrelevant: everyone still gets paid even for a job crappily done. Of course, that's another topic altogether, and I am digressing.

I also notice your shrill screaming about the wealthy only getting tax cuts. While this is in fact untrue, it will regardless benefit everyone. Please refer back to my steps, and note that if the wealthy spend lots and lots of money on American business, American business makes more money, and pays their employees more, and therefore the middle class and lower class, like me, make more as well.

As for your unemployment rates talk, how about some proof from a reputable source regarding the most recent months of 2004?

I hope this helps explains some of the ideas behind Republican policy.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-12, 12:06 PM #91
Indeed.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[

↑ Up to the top!