Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bush declines NAACP invite...again
Bush declines NAACP invite...again
2004-07-09, 9:10 PM #41
*sigh* Don't even talk about Bill Gates. If you're going to talk about anyone talk about the Enron Execs. Talk about Martha Stewart. Talk about someone who's a selfish greedy *******. Bill Gates is the single largest donator to charity in the country (in the world?). It doesn't irk me that he gets a little bit of tax cuts, because no matter how much he gets, I guarantee he spends more on charity.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:12 PM #42
So, thats a choice he makes. He doesnt have to give to charity. I just mean that people that have that much money, like the Enron exec., Martha, Oprah,etc. should get tax cuts. The middle class and the poor don't make any advancements; they stay exactly how they are, and the rich just get richer.

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby

[This message has been edited by YesSir (edited July 10, 2004).]
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-09, 9:17 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YesSir:
So, thats a choice he makes. He doesnt have to give to charity. I just mean that people that have that much money, like the Enron exec., Martha, Oprah,etc. should get tax cuts. It slams the middle class and the poor in the dirt and just make the upper class, like Bush, himself, richer.</font>

Care to explain that? How exactly has my face been "slammed" into the dirt? Oh wait... that's right, it hasn't.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 9:19 PM #44
Hyperbole man

------------------
2004-07-09, 9:23 PM #45
What most people don't realize is that rich people don't just put their money in a huge vault and swim around in it like Scrooge McDuck, they invest it. Investing in companies allowes corporations to expand, which in turn creates jobs. Of course, the investors get some back, but overall it helps everyone, not just the rich or George W. Bush, as some more ignorant liberals would like to claim. It's all simple economics, really. Econ 202, macro economics, to be precise. When was the last time a poor person gave you a job?

------------------
Empty.
2004-07-09, 9:26 PM #46
Quote:
Hyperbole man</font>

No crap. You missed the point. You suggested that I am suffereing from the rich getting tax cuts. Well, I am not.

And I see that you edited it anyway.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 9:31 PM #47
Not all, just the ones that help to give SEVENTY PER CENT OF TAX CUTS TO THE RICHEST OF PEOPLE, those in the top 10%, and those given to residents of US territory, but not of the states. Like the law that gives a break to anyone who lives in Carribbeans, Bermuda, etc, which makes it so they don't need to pay taxes but still get benefits of being a US Citizen. Yah. 70% of tax cuts to the top 10 percent, that's ridiculous. How do we fix this? Flat tax rate. That's my plan. Of course, I'm a 15 y/o liberal living in AL, so my plan has a snowball's chance in hell. Good times.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 10, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:34 PM #48
Well you know who pays most of the nations taxes? That's right, that top 10%.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 9:39 PM #49
They pay 50%, get 70% of the tax breaks. That's why it's immoral still.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:42 PM #50
Quote:
So, thats a choice he makes. He doesnt have to give to charity. I just mean that people that have that much money, like the Enron exec., Martha, Oprah,etc. should get tax cuts. The middle class and the poor don't make any advancements; they stay exactly how they are, and the rich just get richer.

</font>

... Could you be any more wrong? Every 10 years the lower four quintiles of the American economy advance to the next. The fifth, and highest, obviously remains that way. That is to say nothing of the fact that the richest man in America is self-made. That's hardly stagnation..you want to find countries with shrinking GDPs, go to Europe.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-07-09, 9:44 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Just in time for tax season, the Congressional Budget Office has released new data on distribution of the tax burden. Contrary to popular belief, they show taxes on the wealthy have risen over time and the Bush tax cut in 2001 barely kept it from rising further…

In fact, the data show those in the bottom quintile are only paying about half what they did 20 years ago: 5.4 percent. This is down from 6.4 percent just the year before, owing to the Bush tax cut. …Interestingly, those at the very top saw virtually no cut at all, even though liberals constantly say that they got the lion's share of the 2001 tax cut…

All those in the middle three quintiles paid less in 2001 than they paid in 1984. In other words, between 1984 and 2001 average tax rates for the wealthy substantially increased, while at least 80 percent of households paid considerably less. Progressivity rose as the wealthy now pay about 6 times more than the poor…In short, the poor paid half as much of the federal tax burden in 2001 as they did in 1984, while the rich paid about 50 percent more. Those in the middle paid about a third less.

One would think those on the left would be happy about this trend. Instead, they constantly demagogue the wealthy as deadbeats unwilling to bear their "fair share" of the tax burden, and berate the Bush tax cuts for having "slashed" taxes for the wealthy while the rest of us pay more. As is so often the case, the truth is exactly the opposite of that portrayed in the liberal worldview…

The Cassou-Lansing study found flattening the marginal tax rate schedule causes most of the economic gains, which explains why tax burdens on the rich rose as their statutory rates fell. Raising statutory rates on the rich, as John Kerry proposes, likely would reverse this trend, causing taxes on the poor and middle class to rise.
Bruce Bartlett, Washington Times</font>

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 9:55 PM #52
So somehow, figures outlining 2001 economics reflect the economics of today? These don't even address current tax cuts that have been made since--helping the rich stay richer (which is an unfortunate, but in this case true statement), by keeping the money recycling into their hands. True they DO pay most of the taxes, they DO create the jobs, but still, too much money circulates in the upper class. Stimulating the middle class as well should have a positive effect on the economy, as they do the most spending, for they are the consumer. Eventually this money will get back into the hands of the rich, which is when it needs to start recycling into the hands of the consumer. It can't happen too fast, albeit, nor can it be too much money, otherwise the rich will cease to be rich enough to create goods. Oh well. That's all for tonight, me sleep now.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:06 PM #53
These things happen over time. The tax cuts were put into place in 2001, but they dont have instantaneous effects. These tax cuts are still in effect today. So yes, 2001 economics reflect the economics of today. If those tax cuts hadn't been put into action back then, the economy wouldn't be as good as it is now.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-10, 2:19 AM #54
Has anyone else noticed that everytime something remotely good for Kerry happens, stocks take a nose dive? Heck, they've been dropping all week since Edwards was announced as his running mate...
2004-07-10, 10:23 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
Has anyone else noticed that everytime something remotely good for Kerry happens, stocks take a nose dive? Heck, they've been dropping all week since Edwards was announced as his running mate...</font>

Templar 1: Do you think we may be being a bit too obvious here?
Templar 2: Nah, don't worry about it. Oh look! Kerry just bought his favourite flavour of ice-cream, who wants to crash Schwann's stocks??

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-10, 10:34 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...that have been made since--helping the rich stay richer...</font>

That's your biggest beef. You can't stand the rich becoming richer. It's an abomination to you. How dare a large corporation become more successful! You're trying to create a class warfare here. The bourgeoisie vs. the proletariat. Just like Hellequin said, when did you hear of the poor creating jobs?

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-10, 11:12 AM #57
And he's voting for the ticket with the two richest guys in the Senate. One of which was a trial lawyer who always chose the case of a larger, higher paying corporation over that of a small business... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
2004-07-11, 1:56 PM #58
Quote:
Name a single politician that isn't corrupt. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

do they have to be american, because almost every politician (with some notable exceptions) in australia is not corrupt.

Innept at making election comercials that you dont want to throw a brick at, but not corrupt.

About the ads, they don't try to make you vote against the other guys, they actualy try to get you to vote for them.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-11, 2:48 PM #59
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
do they have to be american, because almost every politician (with some notable exceptions) in australia is not corrupt.</font>

Alpha, I know you love Australia and seem to like bringing up how you think this and that aspect of it is that much superior to other nations at every oppurtunity, but if you really beleive the above I have an old TV out back which has gone slightly purple but I'd really love to sell to you.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">About the ads, they don't try to make you vote against the other guys, they actualy try to get you to vote for them.</font>

...*blink*...alpha...what? Did you sleep through the last election or something? Australian politicians can, will and have gotten as negative as any other country on Earth.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-11, 3:20 PM #60
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
Alpha, I know you love Australia and seem to like bringing up how you think this and that aspect of it is that much superior to other nations at every oppurtunity, but if you really beleive the above I have an old TV out back which has gone slightly purple but I'd really love to sell to you.</font>

And this is why we love Jaiph.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-11, 3:49 PM #61
I'm not sure why this turned into another debate on taxes but can anyone answer this. If middle and lower class hardly pay any taxes, why is it unfair when those who do pay enormous amounts see larger reductions? The rich are still getting penalized far more for their success and subsidizing the taxes of those who earn much less.

Also, DJ Yoshi, how old are you?

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-11, 4:53 PM #62
Oh yah, I want to go give a speak to the people whos leaders ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO declaired me the enemy to everyone in that group... Yah sounds like a lot of people that attend will listen and apreaciate what I have to say.

------------------
:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) Im Happy
:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) Im Happy
2004-07-11, 5:20 PM #63
Can anyone translate that for me?

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-12, 1:59 AM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
Can anyone translate that for me?

</font>

Perfectly understandable to me. He's just posting something on topic.
2004-07-12, 5:08 AM #65
Ouch.... burn.
2004-07-12, 5:10 AM #66
CONSPIRACY!

------------------
Current Maps | Inclusion | Restless Endeavor

There is a thin line between insanity and stupidity. I am that line.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2004-07-12, 1:35 PM #67
Quote:
Perfectly understandable to me. He's just posting something on topic.</font>

The nerve! Posting something on topic. pfft

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-07-12, 2:58 PM #68
I was going to post something about the American Income Tax system, and how it is designed so that the poor pay a smaller percentage of their income, while the rich pay a much higher,

but I thought about it, looked at the thread title, and decided to declare this thread "JACKED."

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!