Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Customers do not want online games." True or false?
"Customers do not want online games." True or false?
2004-07-09, 3:11 PM #1
That was a quote from Nintendo's Iwata. Do you agree with that statement? From my observations at gamefaqs.com, Nintendo loyalists agree with that statement (obviously because the Gamecube is destitute of online games), while X-Box, PS2, and PC owners disagree with that statement.
In my opinion, he's wrong. I think customers enjoy games with online play. Being able to play games online increases the replay value astronomically. Nintendo loyalists argue that they prefer playing together all in one room. Ludicrous to say the least, who would want to play a 4-player (let's not forget that when playing in one room, you're quite limited to the amount of players) on a single TV?
2004-07-09, 3:14 PM #2
I could care less about most online games. I prefer good single-player to multiplayer.

That's not to say I don't occasionally jump online for a quick game when I'm bored, though.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-09, 3:16 PM #3
First off, I think the Gamecube has Phantasy Star Online and perhaps something else.

Secondly, there IS a lot of fun only gained from one-room multiplayer, but I for one would love to have online play as it's not often these days I get to have people over to play.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-07-09, 3:18 PM #4
I'm a nintendo fan, and i have to say i would like them to add extensive online support in 'revolution'.

However, i have to dissagree with your last statement. When playing with my friends, i much prefer playing together to playing online, especially with games like SSB:M and Desert storm. its a much different experience when everyone is together that you can't get over a microphone.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-09, 3:23 PM #5
True and false.

Anymore, the only real gaming I do is at LAN parties. Granted, network gaming != internet...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-09, 4:19 PM #6
Makes sense to me. I'm not big on online console games. Not seen one yet that would appeal to me. All of those online FPS's pale in comparison to PC ones, and the only other big genre is sports games, which I'm not big on anyway.

I use my consoles for fun SP games and fun "party MP" games like Smash Brothers, etc.
2004-07-09, 4:27 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzkokehead:
I could care less</font>

You are so dead.

Personally I prefer singleplayer games for the most part, multiplayer is best sitting with a bunch of friends on front of a tv.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-09, 4:28 PM #8
If I'm making a choice between two games, I'll pick the one with a better Single-Player campaign. For me, I usually prefer SP about 65% of the time, and MP 35%.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-09, 4:34 PM #9
I absolutely HATE pc games that are only online games, especially when you have to pay a monthly fee to play them. Seriously, you already bought the game, now you have to pay even more to play it! I also enjoy a good singleplayer campain, which you don't get in an online only game. All game companies should try to get the happy balance between a great singleplayer and a great multiplayer.

------------------
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-07-09, 4:53 PM #10
Well, seeing as how this this thread is about Nintendo, you fools bringing up PC games is irrelevant.

I think Nintendo's failure to create and support online games is a big mistake. With the success of games like the SOCOM series, and the million or so XBox live users, Nintendo is missing out on a good deal of the market. I haven't bought a Gamecube game in over a year, but the last three games I bought, all for XBox, were bought largely because I wanted to play them online (Crimson Skies, Pandora Tomorrow, and Rainbow Six 3). If Gamecube and Nintendo offered more than the failed Phantasy Star games, I would be more interested in their products. At this point, there aren't any Nintendo games I am interested in (that are coming out this year, anyway).

------------------
Empty.
2004-07-09, 4:58 PM #11
I agree that monthly fees for online games is just too much for me. Maybe if I had a lot of $ to spare, but on my budget....I'm not enough of a geek to do that. Plus, being on dial-up rules out most online games out there; "minimum requirements" my arse :P
2004-07-09, 4:59 PM #12
i disagree... maybe in japan they don't care about online game (what i just said could be way off) but i am fairly sure that THE REST OF THE WORLD likes the idea of having an online option

if and when i have broadband the first thing i'll be doing is getting an xbox live account

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-09, 5:14 PM #13
Go to gamespy.com and look how many people are playing online right now. I thiink the customer wants online games.

Of course that is just pc, but, hell I know guys that have broadband just to play console games online. They don't even own a pc and they pay 50 bucks a month just to play SOCOM.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 5:35 PM #14
The one argument that I heard justifying this is that he could be referring to Japan, where, from what I understand, most people access the internet through their cellphones or somesuch. I dunno, ask someone who lives there. Regardless, I think the reason Nintendo is lagging behind so much in the rest of the world is for the sheer reason that they've completely neglected online play. At the very least that's one of the reasons. If you ask me, the best online console experience out there right now is Xbox Live...and I don't even own an Xbox.

------------------
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-07-09, 5:39 PM #15
I can't imagine online on a console. It would just feel like a sham. I can barely stand random games with random people on the PC. People are such dicks. Always. In every online game. The fun has kind of been sucked out unless I'm playing with someone I know.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-09, 5:50 PM #16
X-Box Live has a very strong following with most big new games offering some kind of online play, while the PS2 has a small but strong following which should get much bigger now major publishers like EA have decided to jump onboard.

Online console gaming is threatening to explode, and Nintendo are fools not to get a piece of the action.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-09, 5:59 PM #17
Nintendo has me pussy whipped. Never bought anything from another company, never will.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-09, 6:02 PM #18
It shows.

Nintendo IS way behind for not having online play, though it did originally intend to have it on the Super Famicom (or SNES as we Americans know it) it failed...horribly. Yah.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 6:36 PM #19
Customers don't know what they want. Companies should just force them to buy whatever they sell.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-09, 6:39 PM #20
Nintendo should think twice about making a decision like this. After all, Playstation wouldn't even EXIST if it wasn't for Nintendo's last biggest plunder.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-09, 6:53 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Customers do not want online games."</font>

FAAAAAAAAAAALSE.

And I bought an Xbox for Xbox Live, so I've put my money where my mouth is. Me likey multiplayer.
I mean really. How many Xbox games don't support Live in some capacity at this point? I can't think of a single game released this year that doesn't, at the very least, support Live in its communicative aspects.

Edit: As an aside, I really hated splitscreen multiplayer games before I got my HDTV. Now I enjoy them, but absolutely nothing compares to the online experience. This is something PC gamers have known for years, and I'm happy to see is finally moving to consoles.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 6:53 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Customers don't know what they want. Companies should just force them to buy whatever they sell.

</font>

This man is wise.

------------------
2004-07-09, 8:19 PM #23
I agree with others... you just can't compare the two of playing MP with friends together or playing online.

To me, playing together with 4 people - or ever more with X-box linking systems is the best type of MP. It's just a great environment.

Online is fun, but the experience just isn't as great as having a group of guys together playing.
2004-07-09, 8:28 PM #24
As a g-cuber, I am tired and frustrated with nintendo. They make the dumbest business decisions. Like not making SSB:3, or releasing the first "realistic" Zelda game for GC, not making mario kart online compatible, etc. Also donkey kong. They have bad advisery and people on there staffs. They don't know how to make money. Mario party 6 aint gonna make you no bread. Er body hates mario party. It died out after the 3rd one. STOP MAKING IT. MAKE SSB:3, THATS WHERE THE BREADS AT.

Bread=$$$

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby

[This message has been edited by YesSir (edited July 10, 2004).]
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
2004-07-09, 8:37 PM #25
WTF. Are you stupid? Super Smash Brothers 2==Super Smash Brothers Melee.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:07 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hellequin:
Well, seeing as how this this thread is about Nintendo, you fools bringing up PC games is irrelevant.
</font>

uh, oops. Just transfer my post into a console game (warning, the 2 languages are NOT the same, some words may not translate properly). I feel the same anyway.

------------------
2004-07-09, 9:09 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">WTF. Are you stupid? Super Smash Brothers 2==Super Smash Brothers Melee.</font>

My bad. A sequel to Melee is what i meant

------------------
2004-07-09, 10:11 PM #28
What would they put in it? Melee's gonna take a while to reinvent. Realize you can't just keep pumping them out--otherwise they end up like Mario Party.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:16 PM #29
I would not play online console games. Hell, I barely play online PC games, except for MMORPGs. And I couldn't play one of those without a keyboard.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-09, 10:19 PM #30
Are you referring to the control, or communication? Almost every online console game utilizes a headset to communicate, and gamepad controls are ok, for the most part.

------------------
Empty.
2004-07-09, 11:18 PM #31
Seeing them type is bad enough - I really don't want to hear them talk.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-09, 11:22 PM #32
That's what I thought before I tried it, but it's not too bad. Some people are jerks, though, and talk like Em Playa typed, but it's a hella lot easier to say "HELP I AM BEING SHOT ON THE SECOND FLOOR" instead of trying to type as you run away.

------------------
Empty.
2004-07-10, 2:39 AM #33
Hearing people talk sorta ruins the mood of fantasy MMORPGs, eh? It would be better for a futuristic sci-fi thing, but still. You'd have to have a very simplified interface and thus gameplay experience for a console MMORPG.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-10, 4:23 AM #34
Multiplayer is a key point, but I'd rather be with the people I play with - it makes flag-running tactics so much easier, especially when you can shout, "Oh my-- HE'S GONE LOW!! LOW!! GRAB THE SCORP AND I'LL JUMP... WAIT YOU F***ER!!!"

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-10, 4:31 AM #35
Online play is good but nothing can compare to something like a 4 player timesplitters match with your best mates, you just dont get the yelling and snappy comebacks online.

------------------
Here lies the body of speedy john, the motorbike stopped but he went on
nope.
2004-07-10, 5:00 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Anymore, the only real gaming I do is at LAN parties. Granted, network gaming != internet...

</font>

ditto

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-10, 5:53 AM #37
On the PC, online games are all I play these days, whether it's the new stuff (UT2004, Battlefield Vietnam) or the old (Half-Life mods over Steam, Soldier of Fortune 2 MP).

At the same time, I have no interest in getting X-Box live. Not after the starter's kit has already increased to $70 and you have to pay an additional $50 every year. All I want is a server browser and a server to play on, not all the nonsense that comes with the package and makes it cost a yearly fee.

If Microsoft can't convince me, a hardcore online gamer, to switch, then who are they going to convince in the long run? When specific X-Box numbers were still displayed on Gamespy.com's stats system (which have since been removed, for one reason or another) the numbers weren't exactly breath-taking, especially considering that even with all the buddy and chat features, only about 300 people were hanging out in the Lounge (or whatever they call it). Looking at how many people hang out in the chat in other games (War Craft 3, Diablo 2, etc.) I doubt that all X-Box live users on all games combined would equal the amount of players of a more popular online game for the PC (unless you have statistics to prove otherwise).
2004-07-10, 7:36 AM #38
I like playing everyone in the same room. How else am I going to look onto the other guys screen to see where he is so I can snipe his butt from a mile away.

I don't agree that people don't want on-line games though. I think the large (increadibly large) number of people who play on-line proves that. If you want to talk just consoles, theres plenty of proof that it is both popular and profitable with the X-box, and looking at PC's just backs it up.

------------------
"If work is healthy, let the sick people do it!"
Visit my homepage.
Life is beautiful.
2004-07-10, 8:54 AM #39
Horsesh** Online games kick a$$. They make people elite at the game to. I play an online game and then single player is easy on the hardest level.

------------------
You have to look at the big picture. We (as a country) spend more tax money dealing with MS blunders than we do on the software itself. And guess who MS's largest customer is? You guessed it, the government! - Brian
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-10, 8:59 AM #40
I think network games are fun and all, but there's just something magical about pissing the jerks in online games off. For example, you can't get away with stuff in network games that you can in online games. Like in Call of Duty. Most servers disable the crosshair. So you just put a small dot on your screen right where your gun shoots using some silly putty or something similar. Instant crosshair. It's great to see those 1337 speaking *******s cussing you out cause you're slaughtering them.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!