Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Obama '08 BABY!
Obama '08 BABY!
2007-01-17, 3:58 AM #1
I am so hyped about Obama's latest message! I think Obama could do a whole lot for our nation, and furthermore, our world. He's rather liberal, but he isn't partisan. He's down to earth and logical.

The only thing people have against him that I'll give them is his age. He could be more experienced. I still don't care, because he's at least got more brains than most of today's leaders.

Discuss if you want or don't want barrack to run in 08. Please keep this logical, and not partisan.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-17, 4:26 AM #2
Obama does seem to bring a lot to the table. I'd vote for him.

Of course a woman in office wouldn't be bad either, if you catch my drift
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-01-17, 4:40 AM #3
Hilary is frighteningly stupid. If only for her policies on videogames, let it be her idealistic image of absolutely innocent children. Innocence is a pretty word for ignorance. It's a child's moral upbringing that will effect their view of the world, not how well they're sheltered from it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-17, 4:44 AM #4
Originally posted by JediKirby:
...It's a child's moral upbringing that will effect their view of the world, not how well they're sheltered from it.

if that's just something you came up with to say and not some type of quote that is a very profound statement. I really like that quote, mind if I use it? (giving credit where credit is due of course)
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2007-01-17, 4:45 AM #5
I have it on good authority that Hillary Clinton eats babies and is also a man.

Seriously, though. If you enjoy games at all she should be the last person you should want in office. She's already demonstrated that she's fully willing to demonize video games in order to get the morality vote (Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN? Won't somebody PLEASE think about the CHILDREN?). Not to mention the fact that she is about as diplomatic as a clawhammer to the face, so she's not exactly the kind of damage control the US will need once Captain Foot-In-Mouth retires to write his memoirs about his 8 year long game of Warhammer 2000.
2007-01-17, 4:47 AM #6
What Jon'C didn't mention was that Clinton is purely the Devil.

As much as I don't trust those with a silver tongue (Obama) I'd rather just about anyone in office than Hillary.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-01-17, 4:52 AM #7
GASP OBAMA IS ALMOST LIKE OSAMA OMG LOLLILOPS
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-01-17, 5:15 AM #8
Obama hasn't been around long enough to do a whole lot of good/bad. Why in the world would he be a good president?
Think while it's still legal.
2007-01-17, 5:50 AM #9
I think most of his appeal comes from the fact that he's different; he hasn't been around long, he's black, he's young, all that.

I do have a natural distrust of politicians, but try as I might to resist Obama gets past it.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-17, 6:11 AM #10
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
Obama hasn't been around long enough to do a whole lot of good/bad. Why in the world would he be a good president?

Because he hasn't been around long enough to be bad.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-17, 6:38 AM #11
I've got the impression he's really strong on his anti-war stance but otherwise he kinda backs down on everything and plays the nice guy. He acts up some religiosity to calm down those who think the Dems are anti-religious and calls for bipartisanship and not being divisive etc. But meh, I'm a silly tea-drinker who's probably missed some decent speeches considering the general reaction here.
Is John Edwards still considered a viable candidate?
2007-01-17, 6:43 AM #12
"Dee, dear, you can't run for office."
"Why not!?"
"You're a girl."
"Excuse me!? There have been plenty of great female polititians."
"Oh yeah? Name one."
"Uhmm... Senator Hillary Rodem (s?) Clinton?"
"Awful."
"Why?"
"Hates freedom."

<3 it's always sunny
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-01-17, 6:52 AM #13
People like Obama because he's basically a blank slate. They can look at him and project their own desires upon what they believe he will do. Truth is, he just doesn't have a history or track record to show whether or not he's trustworthy to do what he says he will (not that it's any worse than who we have now).

That being said, I do like Obama. His book is quite good, and he seems very down to Earth and cares about people. Some stories about him involve him apologizing to an intern for "messing up his game" when Obama interrupted him trying to hit on some girl at a charity event. Obama called the guy and everything (towards the end of the piece). Then there's also his Monday Night Football announcement. Those may seem like little things, but they speak volumes about his character.

Be aware too that the exploratory committee doesn't mean anything yet, other than he is exploring the possibility of running. If he gets poor reception to the idea, he won't run. There will be a lot of old money type folks that are going to be very much against him. It's true that they wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway, but they also have quite a bit of influence.

All that being said, I think Obama, because he is a blank slate, has one of the best chances of winning. I think he can do good things for the country.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-01-17, 8:01 AM #14
Right, so I'm still having trouble understanding why this dude excites you enough to call him "BABY!"
2007-01-17, 8:53 AM #15
Looks like he is on the "crappy free stuff from the government" platform. : / At least he's not Hillary. I knew from that speech in 04 that he'd be the president in 08. No one likes Hillary anymore, and the GOP doesn't have any good candidates lined up.
2007-01-17, 10:18 AM #16
I can't understand the excitement over him. What, as a politician, has he actually done or accomplished that would make him a good president? Heck, what as a politician has he actually accomplished?
Life is beautiful.
2007-01-17, 10:32 AM #17
You know who the GOP should run against him?

Colin Powell.
2007-01-17, 10:35 AM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Colin Powell.

The interesting thing about him is that he's broken from the Bush camp on more than one occasion. It seems like he's more in tune with the population than the Bushs are. I don't know whether it's because he actually feels that way or because he's just watching the trends and doing what's popular. Regardless, I would rather have a republican in power that actually acts like a republican - limiting government programs and lowering taxes.
2007-01-17, 10:42 AM #19
I would not vote for Obama. I don't hate the guy, I just don't know what kind of politician(saying =/= doing) he is, which is going to be the biggest hurdle he has to face.

Quote:
Hilary is frighteningly stupid. If only for her policies on videogames

The legislation she introduced was to hold the RETAILERS responsible for selling games to minors(which, if the retailer follows the law, would then push the responsibility on to the parent). It makes it so developers won't be held responsible if their work is marketed or used in an inappropriate manner. Most gamers just see "Clinton" and "law on games" and instantly assume she must be against video games period. What the law does is it hold retailers and parents responsible while giving developers more intellectual freedom by making it so they don't have to fear being sued because one of the former two screwed up.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2007-01-17, 11:18 AM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Colin Powell.

That's exactly who they should run. But you know who's going to probably get the nomination? Someone like Frist or DeLay. Someone who's is from the Religious Right.

:v: - VOTE FOR ME BECAUSE GOD TOLD ME SO IN A DREAM.

Other than Powell, I don't know who else would be good for the GOP.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-17, 11:52 AM #21
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
That's exactly who they should run. But you know who's going to probably get the nomination? Someone like Frist or DeLay. Someone who's is from the Religious Right.

They will lose if they put up Frist or DeLay.
2007-01-17, 12:06 PM #22
Obama won't win an election, and it's not because he's young or because he's black. It's because of the crushing disappointment the more moderate part of this country is going to get when they find out how liberal he really is. I hope he wins the primary just so I can stop worrying about suffering through four years of President Hillary Clinton, but I can't see him beating more moderate Republicans like Giuliani or McCain, who are currently the front-runners.

Any hope I had of voting for a major-party candidate pretty much died when Evan Bayh dropped out of the race. Looks like once again I'll have to content myself with cracking jokes from the sidelines.

Jon, I've long thought that Colin Powell would make an excellent president, but he's gone on record saying that he has no interest whatsoever in taking the job.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-01-17, 12:45 PM #23

Where is this religous right I keep hearing about. :confused:

Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Obama won't win an election, and it's not because he's young or because he's black. It's because of the crushing disappointment the more moderate part of this country is going to get when they find out how liberal he really is. I hope he wins the primary just so I can stop worrying about suffering through four years of President Hillary Clinton, but I can't see him beating more moderate Republicans like Giuliani or McCain, who are currently the front-runners.

You have to remember he's a) not a fool and b) a politician. I bet anything that he'll moderate a good bit by the time the election comes.
2007-01-17, 1:02 PM #24
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

You're living in it :v:
2007-01-17, 1:03 PM #25

You're joking right?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-17, 1:25 PM #26
Obama would be the most intellectual president since Jefferson. The man is crazy. He's a quick thinker, smart on his feet, but also weighs the facts and comes to conclusions that way. He's also a smoker, and has said he has no plans of quitting for the campaign, which I respect.

He's better than Hillary.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-17, 1:26 PM #27

Signs are pointing to a McCain/Gulliani ticket. I used to really like McCain, but his pandering to the Religious Right lately has really turned me off him.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-17, 1:42 PM #28
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Obama would be the most intellectual president since Jefferson. The man is crazy. He's a quick thinker, smart on his feet, but also weighs the facts and comes to conclusions that way. He's also a smoker, and has said he has no plans of quitting for the campaign, which I respect.

/me pictures attack ads

"HOW CAN BARACK OBAMA TAKE CARE OF AMERICA...IF HE CAN'T TAKE CARE OF HIMSELF?"

*ominous music*
2007-01-17, 1:49 PM #29
Signs are pointing to a McCain/Gulliani ticket. I used to really like McCain, but his pandering to the Religious Right lately has really turned me off him.

That's because that's the only way to get the current vote in the right. The Religious Right has a lot of hold over the Republican Party. Pisses me off :mad:
2007-01-17, 1:51 PM #30
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;780577']/me pictures attack ads

*ominous music*

Or:

"OBAMA MORE LIKE OSAMA"

*ominous music*
2007-01-17, 1:54 PM #31
That's because that's the only way to get the current vote in the right. The Religious Right has a lot of hold over the Republican Party. Pisses me off :mad:

The moderate vote is a ****ton bigger than the religious right vote though.
2007-01-17, 1:59 PM #32
A side note: I've actually seen Obama in person. He came to Northwestern a couple years ago to watch our basketball game against Illinois. Sadly, he's a Fighting Illini fan. :argh:

Second side note: I just found out that Ron Paul is running! The thought of having a president who will veto everything really appeals to me. :D

Just about anywhere between Georgia and Idaho.

You have to remember he's a) not a fool and b) a politician. I bet anything that he'll moderate a good bit by the time the election comes.

Maybe. He's always struck me as a straight shooter who's not going to change too much just to get votes, and the fact that he's not going to quit smoking for his campaign reinforces that impression.

He's charismatic enough, though, that he could just get away with being a little farther to the left. I don't really know.

Obama would be the most intellectual president since Jefferson.

What about Woodrow Wilson? IIRC, he's the only president to date that had a Ph.D.

Originally posted by Thrawn(numbarz):
/me pictures attack ads

*ominous music*

"Harold Ford took money from pr0n pr0ducers!"

Okay, so I just wanted an excuse to post that ad.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-01-17, 2:42 PM #33
Obama O'Riley!!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-17, 2:43 PM #34

Gulliani would drive the religious right crazy. As I understand it, he's fairly socially liberal for a Republican.
2007-01-17, 3:34 PM #35
Obi_Kwiet, you have consistantly proven your prejudices about "crappy free stuff from the government." You've also shown just how religiously right winged you are. In the same sweep, you've displayed your ignorance to these political traits you carry.

What's frightening is that you are the type of people who vote.

Meanwhile: I'll agree that Obama doesn't have much of a history, but I think that's a good thing.

And Hilary's videogame policies aren't THAT bad, but her speaches and outlook on videogames are simply stupid. She doesn't know anything about videogames. Not that Obama does, but she's displayed, as Jon`C said, her ability to bilboard "innocence" in order to jump on the bandwagon of political correctness.

And yes, that's my own quote.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-17, 3:57 PM #36
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Meanwhile: I'll agree that Obama doesn't have much of a history, but I think that's a good thing.

I strongly disagree. We're talking about the presidency of the United States. Quite possibly one of the most powerful positions in the entire world. I don't want someone in there whom I have no idea what he's going to do.
Life is beautiful.
2007-01-17, 4:05 PM #37
Everyone knows it's not the President who has the actual power though, just like it's not Members of Parliament in Britain. You need a strong charismatic leader, the rest can be (and is) learned on the job.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-17, 4:13 PM #38
Originally posted by Detty:
Everyone knows it's not the President who has the actual power though, just like it's not Members of Parliament in Britain. You need a strong charismatic leader, the rest can be (and is) learned on the job.

Exactly. The president's root morals/policies/charisma are what matters. His informents and his in-office-experience will be what his ideals can be applied to.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-17, 5:12 PM #39
I hope he runs.

-Also, this image macro I made a few months ago finally came true!
Attachment: 15135/senatorbarackobamasmall.jpg (47,150 bytes)
2007-01-17, 5:59 PM #40
I guess he doesn't floss...
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!